Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"A Woman's Deed"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: When the men fall ill to a virus, the duty of negotiating peace with the Xindi falls on the shoulders of the women of Enterprise.


CHAPTER 1

07:05

A hot shower of water poured over Archer as he scrubbed shampoo out of his hair. Finished, he grabbed a towel from the bar beside the shower and stepped out. Tapping the shower control silenced the streaming water behind him. He began toweling down his hair and body as he walked into his quarters.

“We need to talk,” a voice said.

Archer spun, staring at Daniels. And then he remembered he was naked and hastily wrapped the towel around his waist.

“Next time, knock,” Archer snarled.

Daniels laughed from amusement. “We need to talk,” he repeated.

Archer grabbed his clothes from the bed and disappeared into the bathroom.

“Talk about what?” Archer asked.

“Today three Xindi ships will attack you. You’ll be on the bridge when it happens.”

“Do we win or lose?”

“That’s not important. They’re going to release a biological weapon. The virus in the weapon will impair your judgment; however, you won’t start exhibiting symptoms until you’re in the midst of peace talks with the Xindi and the talks will not go well.”

Archer came out of the bathroom. He sat down on the couch to put his socks and boots on. He didn’t say a word to Daniels.

“You have to turn around and go back to Earth. Right now.”

Archer glanced at Daniels. “Not a chance in hell.”

“The peace talks will fail. Earth will be destroyed.”

“You’re here.”

“From a colony the Xindi don’t know about. There are only six hundred humans left.”

“I’m not turning back.”

“You have to, Jonathan.”

Archer sprung to his feet. “I have fought my way here and lost too much to turn back now, so go back to the future and stop. Bugging. Me.”

Daniels looked surprised. “You are going to kill humanity if you proceed.”

Archer sat back down, pulling his last boot on. “Preach it to another choir, Daniels.”

Daniels pressed his lips into a thin line. He tapped a device in his hand and disappeared. Archer looked at Porthos when he whined. Archer smiled, scratching the dog’s ears.

“Let’s see if I can prove the future wrong. What do you say, boy?”

Porthos wagged his tail.

Archer stood and left his quarters.

#

10:25

Archer, Malcolm, and Major Hayes ran through the halls, firing on any Xindi that appeared in their line of fire. Archer sped around a corner as a shot from a Xindi weapon grazed his arm. He jumped back behind the corner, grabbed Malcolm’s arm, and practically threw the Lieutenant against the wall before he went around it. The two fired back at the advancing Xindi. Hayes heard a sound behind him and spun. Xindi were advancing from behind. He fired, hitting a Xindi in the stomach. Hayes flattened against the wall. Three more Xindi started firing down the hall at the men.

“WE’RE PINNED DOWN!” Hayes yelled.

“Tell me something I don’t know, Major!” Archer yelled back.

All of a sudden the Xindi stopped firing. The three men kept close together, watching the corridors. They could see the Xindi around the corners, prepared to fire again.

“What are they waiting for?” Malcolm asked.

Reed stood, watching the two he could see. The three heard metal chink and the Xindi tossed canisters down the halls.

“GET DOWN!” Reed yelled.

The three dropped to the floor. A small canister rolled into the corridor across from them and exploded with a soft ‘pop.’ Thick smoke quickly fogged around them. Expecting the Xindi to come running through the smoke at any second, the three took cover as best they could among the joints along the hall. But the Xindi never came.

“The Xindi have transported off Enterprise,” T’Pol’s voice said over the ship COM, “and have gone to warp. Begin repairs and report all damage to the bridge.”

“They just left?” Archer heard Malcolm question.

Archer stood and felt his way to a companel. He leaned close so he could see the controls and tapped the talk button.

“Archer to the bridge.”

“Are you alright, Captain?” T’Pol asked.

“Fine. They left?”

“Yes. They detonated explosive canisters on all decks, transported back to their vessels, and departed. The bio-scans have detected an airborne pathogen. I recommend we should have all crewmen report to Sickbay.”

“Negative. I’ll issue the order as soon as Phlox has an idea what the pathogen is. Tell him to start researching the canisters as soon as he’s patched up all casualties.”

“It could be lethal, Captain.”

“If Phlox doesn’t know what it is and can’t find a cure, then all we’ll do is upset the crew. They’re already on pins and needles since we’re about to face the Xindi, do you really think it’s a good idea to tell them we might be dead before we get there?”

T’Pol didn’t reply.

“Resume course toward Xindi space and start venting this smoke. I’m going to Engineering.”

“Are you coming to the bridge, Captain?”

“No. You can take care of things.”

“Yes, sir.”

Archer tapped the companel, turning. He tried to see Hayes and Malcolm through the smoke.

“Men?” Archer asked.

“Here, sir,” Hayes replied.

“Yes, sir?” Malcolm asked somewhere to Archer’s far right.

“You heard what I told T’Pol about the pathogen?”

“Yes, sir,” they answered.

“I expect you to do the same. Until we know what it is and how to stop it from harming us, say nothing. That’s an order.”

“Yes, sir,” both replied.

“Go check on the crew, men,” Archer ordered.

He heard the two leave and leaned back against the wall. He drew in several long, deep breaths of the smoke. Archer turned in the direction of Engineering, feeling his way along the wall.

#

Trip came into the Captain’s mess and fell into his chair. The steward came in with a plate, setting it in front of Trip.

“Oh, hey, can I have a glass of water?” Trip looked up at the man.

“Why?” the crewman asked.

Archer, Trip, and T’Pol looked at him.

“I mean...yes...sir.” He turned and hurried out of the room.

Trip shook his head, diving into his plate. “All of the crew has been short tempered like that today.”

“They’re on edge,” Archer commented. “This last attack was extremely unusual and but there’s no reason they should be. These men have been through worse situations than this.”

T’Pol looked up at Archer but said nothing.

Trip shook his head, sipping his tea. “It doesn’t make any sense, ya know? I mean, why would they load the ship down with smoke bombs and leave?”

The steward returned with Trip’s glass of water.

“Crewman,” T’Pol addressed him, “Would you please bring me some more vegetables?”

The steward snatched up T’Pol’s empty bowl with a scowl and stormed out. Archer and Trip didn’t notice but T’Pol did.

“Maybe they rigged something on the ship. T’Pol, have scans found anything out of the ordinary?” Trip asked her.

Archer looked at T’Pol. She was staring at the door. His eyes traveled from her face and down her torso. His eyes snapped up when she looked at him.

“I’m sorry?” she asked.

“Are you feeling okay?” Archer asked.

T’Pol looked up when the steward returned. He sat the bowl down next to her, a little harder than was necessary, and left. T’Pol watched him go before turning back to her meal.

“You’re awfully distracted,” Archer remarked.

“You did not find Ensign Krager’s behavior out of place?”

The men looked at the door leading to the galley and back at T’Pol.

“What was wrong with it?” Archer asked. “Why does it interest you so much?”

T’Pol turned back to her meal. “Perhaps he is upset about a personal matter. You asked me a question, Commander?”

Archer’s eyes wandered across T’Pol’s body again.

“I asked if you’d found anything out of the ordinary when you scanned the ship. After the smoke was cleared.”

“No. The smoke was difficult to vent however. Captain--” T’Pol looked at Archer, catching him staring at her breasts.

He looked away, but that only held her attention.

“Is there a problem, Captain?”

“No. No problem.” Archer smiled, meeting her eyes.

“T’Pol,” Trip started, “why don’t you come down to engineering after supper and help me with some diagnostics. It’ll be just you and me so we can get them done faster. Then we can do some of that neuro pressure tonight. My head is killing me and I feel wired! Like I’ve been living on coffee or something.”

“I think you two should stop with the Vulcan neuro pressure. It’s not appropriate for senior officers to spend that much time in each other’s quarters,” Archer told them.

T’Pol and Trip both looked at him. He was eating, appearing to be unaware of their reaction.

“The neuro pressure is a way to help alleviate--”

“Alleviate his inability to sleep?” Archer looked up, glaring at Trip. “Probably just making it up to get you alone. Isn’t that right, Trip? Just admit it!”

“No! It really helps me with the nightmares.”

“Nightmares my ass! Get out!”

“Cap’n I--”

“Get out. That’s an order.”

Trip slowly sat his fork down, glancing at T’Pol.

“OUT!” Archer yelled at him.

Trip hurried out of the room. Archer resumed eating his supper as if nothing had happened.

“Phlox has yet to identify the pathogen released by the weapons,” T’Pol began, her voice hinting she was choosing words that wouldn’t further anger Archer. “He would like to draw blood from the crew every twelve hours to--”

“There’s no pathogen,” Archer said.

“Captain, I told you there was.”

“You’ve been wrong before, T’Pol. Do you think that I haven’t noticed that after all this time?” Archer smirked. “That look you get when you’re proven wrong is priceless, if not alluring.”

“Since then many crewmen have been exhibiting unusual behavior, including...”

Archer looked up at her. His look was cold, dark, and hinting to hidden anger. “Including?”

T’Pol hesitated before saying, “Including the anger Ensign Krager exhibited. If you’ll excuse me,” T’Pol stood, picking up a PADD by her plate, “I have a great deal of work to--”

“You’re not going anywhere,” Archer told her.

“I have much work to do. We will be at the Xindi border in two--”

“Sit. Down.”

T’Pol didn’t sit down.

“SIT DOWN!”

T’Pol slowly sank into her chair, holding Archer’s gaze.

Archer smiled, but even his smile was uncharacteristic. It was sinister and void of warmth. “I’m enjoying your company. You aren’t dismissed.” Archer started eating.

“My company, Captain?”

“Hm?”

“You’re enjoying just my company, Captain?”

“Yes.”

T’Pol looked away. Archer’s eyes lifted, exploring her body again. T’Pol stood and walked around to the door.

“I didn’t dismiss you,” Archer hissed, “Sit back down!”

T’Pol didn’t stop walking or look back.

As the door closed Archer bellowed, “T’POL!” Followed by the sound of dishes breaking.

T’Pol stopped short and looked over her shoulder. Archer didn’t come after her. She became acutely aware that the mess hall was unusually quiet and turned her head. There were no women in the room, only men, and all of them were staring at her. T’Pol walked toward the door, as though she were walking through a den of hungry lions. Passing through the door she hurried away.

#

Hoshi saw Malcolm step onto a lift ahead of her.

“HOLD THE LIFT!” Hoshi called.

Malcolm put his hand out to hold the door open. Hoshi sprinted into it, smiling when she turned.

“Thank you, sir.”

“You’re welcome. Command Center?” Malcolm asked.

“Sickbay.” Hoshi tapped the controls.

“I was headed to supper, would you care to join me?” Malcolm asked, inching closer to Hoshi.

“I have a lot of work to do before we reach the Xindi system.”

“That’s two days away, at best. You must eat.” Malcolm laid his hand on Hoshi’s shoulder, running it down her arm, and catching up her hand in his.

Hoshi looked at him, holding his lustful gaze. The lift stopped and she stepped off, pulling her hand away. Malcolm caught her hand again.

“You must eat,” Malcolm muttered in a deeper voice. A flirtatious smile breezed onto his lips as he leaned in. “And I bet you’re a delectable desert.” He moved closer to her.

“Sir, what’s wrong with you?

“My name is Malcolm, Hoshi. Use it. That’s an order.”

He tried to kiss her and she turned her head, but still kept her eyes on him. His kiss landed on her cheek and she pulled back when he started moving his kiss toward her neck.

“This is completely unprofessional, sir. Let my hand go.”

Malcolm lifted her hand to his lips, kissing her fingers. His eyes never left hers. “Supper, Hoshi?” he murmured against her fingers.

Hoshi yanked her hand back, backing away from him. “No, sir, and your behavior is unacceptable. If this happens again, I’m reporting it to Captain Archer.”

Malcolm leaned in the open lift door. “If you change your mind, you’ll know where to find me, Hoshi.”

Hoshi turned and hurried off. Malcolm grinned, following her.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.