Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Advance Directive"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip is accidentally exposed a fledgling clone which puts his life in danger. Archer demands it be removed, and learns that Trip has taken this decision out of Archer's hands without telling him. All he can do is wait and hope he doesn't lose his friend.


CHAPTER 1

Trip entered Sickbay, tapping a PADD against his free hand. He watched Phlox scurry about the room as he packed cases, pausing only to check information downloading to PADDs. He flashed a smile as he rushed by Trip.

“What can I do for you, Commander?”

Trip looked at the PADD in his hand. “Uhm... I finally got T’Pol and Malcolm pinned down long enough to sign this. I was just dropping it off.” Trip held the PADD out as the Denobulan hurried back his direction.

Phlox snatched the PADD from Trip, disappearing in the back. He reappeared, PADD still in hand.

“I’ll add it to your records. Do you want a copy sent to your parents?”

“Yeah.”

Phlox sat the PADD down and resumed packing. “It has been my experience that most humans procrastinate on updating these things. I’m curious as to why you didn’t?”

Trip slid his hands in his pockets, looking at the floor. “I just... In the Expanse... With what happened to Sim... I wasn’t the only engineer and... And...” Trip swallowed the rest of his words.

Phlox stopped packing, studying Trip’s face. Trip suddenly smiled.

“You about ready? The Plouph keep asking when you’ll be down.”

Phlox smiled. “Almost.”

“You are gonna let me and Malcolm have a little shore leave, right?”

“I told Captain Archer I didn’t need you to join me. All I’m doing is educating the Plouph on the policy and procedures of the physician exchange program.”

“T’Pol mentioned the medical community is excited to have them join. What makes them so special?”

“Most physicians, even myself, have a percentage of fatalities on the operating table. They have less than one percent. They are the greatest physicians in this sector.”

“You’re right. There won’t be much need for Malcolm or me, but we’d both appreciate if you didn’t mention it again to the Cap’n. We wouldn’t want him to change his mind, now would we?”

Phlox chuckled. “I’ll keep quiet.”

“Do you want me to take anything to the shuttle pod?”

“Those cases over there, if you don’t mind. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

Trip picked up the cases he motioned to and left. Phlox’s smile waned. He looked at the PADD, reading the document on it.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.