Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"All Things Aside"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Leave it to children to warm hard hearts. Malcolm returns to his teenage years. T'Pol engages in a millennia old human war. The answer to the holographic planet is revealed. Malcolm finds a hidden temple. Hoshi encounters a timid alien race.


Uncle Chef (9)
After ‘Monsters Under The Bed’

Archer turned his glass in his hands, his mind millions of light years from Enterprise. He didn’t hear Chef enter the Captain’s mess or notice the giant of a man had sit down at the table.

“Captain?”

Archer looked up at Chef, recognition coming to his face after a few seconds.

“Hey Chef.” Archer looked down.

“Been in here a while, sir.”

Archer didn’t reply.

“Kinda wanted to talk to you about something, but I guess it can wait.” Chef stood. “Good night, sir.”

“What is it?”

Chef sat back down, sitting back in the chair. “It’s about Navta, Captain.”

Archer smiled a little. “Caught her using the storage cabinet for a hiding place again?”

“Naw. She’s been good. Too good. She hasn’t been in here hardly at all. Has she been eating?”

“Yeah. We eat in my ready room a lot these days.”

“She’s okay then?”

“Define okay?”

“Well, I just don’t want the child starving to death.”

Archer looked at Chef. He was staring at his lap.

“Why are you concerned? You always tell me everything she’s done wrong.” Archer looked away, wishing he hadn’t said that out loud.

“Not everything. Only the really bad things.”

Archer looked back at Chef, surprised by the comment. “You don’t tell me everything?”

Chef shrugged. “Kinda partial to the kid, Captain. She still hides in the kitchen when she and Eartik are playing hide’n’ seek, but I sorta look forward to it now.”

“Do you?”

“Yeah.” Chef smiled, a rare expression on his face. “That’s why I was worried. She always comes in for a morning, afternoon, and evening hug before she gets her meals. I haven’t seen much of her. I was worried about her.”

“I guess I never realized how much you like her.”

“Never really been fond of kids, ya know? Always thought of them as a bother. But I don’t think that about her and Eartik. They’re good kids. They help in the galley sometimes and Navta calls me ‘Uncle Mark,’ so I can’t be too hard on the child.”

Archer smiled. “I can see where that would be difficult.”

Chef nodded, looking down. “Well, best get back to work.”

“I’m a father,” Archer stated, looking down at the table.

Chef looked up at him, surprised. “I beg your pardon?”

Archer smiled, shaking his head. “Not like that. I’m Navta’s father…now, and I’m not sure how to cope with that, Chef. I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“I think you’re underestimating yourself and that kid’s love for you, Captain.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Captain, she adores you. You make her happy because you’ve always allowed her to be your friend first and charge second. She would do anything to appease you.”

“And I don’t know how to handle that.” Archer looked back at his glass.

“Don’t.”

“Don’t what?”

“Don’t know how to handle it. Just let it happen. You two have some rough waters to get through here, but you two have a much stronger friendship and love than you think. Everyone sees it, even me. She’d rather tell you a secret than anyone else on this ship. Even me. And I’m Uncle Mark.”

Archer smiled. “Well, Uncle Mark, I hope your right and we both can grow into this.”

Chef stood. “You will, Captain. Look how well you grew into captain and father of us, your crew. You’ll do fine. Just stop giving it so much thought. Good-night Captain.”

“Night, Chef.”

Archer listened to him leave before letting his mind drift back to the place it had been at.

Appendix ‘Story of Atlantis’ (Abbreviated)

Over 11,000 years ago, there existed an island nation located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean populated by a noble and powerful race. The people of this land possessed great wealth thanks to the natural resources found throughout their island. The island was a center for trade and commerce. The rulers of this land held sway over the people and land of their own island and well into Europe and Africa.

This was the island of Atlantis.

Atlantis was the domain of Poseidon, god of the sea. When Poseidon fell in love with a mortal woman, Cleito, he created a dwelling at the top of a hill near the middle of the island and surrounded the dwelling with rings of water and land to protect her.

Cleito gave birth to five sets of twin boys who became the first rulers of Atlantis. The island was divided among the brothers with the eldest, Atlas, first King of Atlantis, being given control over the central hill and surrounding areas.

At the top of the central hill, a temple was built to honor Poseidon that housed a giant gold statue of Poseidon riding a chariot pulled by winged horses. It was here that the rulers of Atlantis would come to discuss laws, pass judgments, and pay tribute to Poseidon.

To facilitate travel and trade, a water canal was cut through of the rings of land and water running south for 5.5 miles (9 km) to the sea.

The city of Atlantis sat just outside the outer ring of water and spread across the plain covering a circle of 11 miles (1.7 km). This was a densely populated area where the majority of the population lived.

Beyond the city lay a fertile plain 330 miles (530 km) long and 110 miles (190 km) wide surrounded by another canal used to collect water from the rivers and streams of the mountains. The climate was such that two harvests were possible each year. One in the winter fed by the rains, and one in the summer fed by irrigation from the canal.

Surrounding the plain to the north were mountains, which soared to the skies. Villages, lakes, rivers, and meadows dotted the mountains.

Besides the harvests, the island provided all kinds of herbs, fruits, and nuts. An abundance of animals, including elephants, roamed the island.

For generations the Atlanteans lived simple, virtuous lives. But slowly they began to change. Greed and power began to corrupt them. When Zeus saw the immorality of the Atlanteans he gathered the other gods to determine a suitable punishment.

Soon, in one violent surge it was gone. The sea swallowed the island of Atlantis, its people, and its memory.

#

This is a summary of the story told by Plato around 360 BC in his dialogues Timaeus and Critias. These writings of Plato are the only specific known references to Atlantis. They have prompted controversy and debate for over two thousand years.

(/Mysterious/Topics/Atlantis/story.html)


Back to Chapter 8

The next short story is Nuggets

The next Tweens story is By Your Side

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.