Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"All Things Considered"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: There are some things that are the same across the universe, even for captains learning never stops, everyone can appreciate a skinny dip, and sometimes just hearing your love's voice is enough.


To Hear Your Voice (8)

Malcolm stirred, opening his eyes when the communicator near his head beeped again. He rolled over, patting around until his hand found it in the dark. Malcolm tried to pick it up to discover it was inside his jacket pocket. Malcolm pulled it out and flipped it open.

“Reed here,” Malcolm said in a hushed voice.

“Took you long enough,” Sista said.

“Vardee?” Malcolm rubbed his eyes, “Stand by, Vardee.” Malcolm flipped the communicator shut and felt around for his boots. He pulled them on and then his coat and slipped out of the tent he was sharing with Archer. Malcolm crossed the dark campsite and walked a couple meters into the surrounding forest. Malcolm opened the communicator again.

“What’s wrong Vardee?” Malcolm asked.

“I wanted to talk to you,” Sista said.

“Why? What’s wrong? Are the children alright?”

“Everything’s fine. I just wanted to talk to you.”

Malcolm scrubbed his forehead with his fingers. “Vardee, if the Captain finds out you went to the bridge and called me, he’s going to be furious with both of us.”

“Well I am on a bridge, just not his bridge,” Sista replied.

Malcolm smiled. He sat down, leaning back against a tree. “Your bridge, huh?”

“Thought that would put your hackles down.”

Malcolm smiled some more. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too. Jon Nathan had a nightmare last night. Oh!” Malcolm could tell Sista was stretching by the sound that followed.

“And Kas?”

“Daddy’s little princess slept through the whole thing.”

“Like her mother!” Malcolm teased.

Sista laughed. “No. Like her father.”

“Uh-uh. I sleep light.”

“Right.”

“I do!”

“Uh-huh.”

Malcolm chuckled. “What else?”

“Doctor Phlox found a tooth starting to cut through the top back of Kasbra’s gums. That’s why she’s been so cranky and had such awful diapers.”

“So soon?”

“She’s Jit, sweetheart. We develop much faster.”

“I hope Jon won’t get upset by that.”

“I doubt it,” Sista chuckled quietly. “ Besides, I can hear it all now. You’ll just tell him, ‘Don’t try to catch up to your sister, son. She’s an odd duffer like your mother.’ Did I say that right?”

You have the English translator running.”

“Yes. I wish my English was better.”

“I think it’s perfect like it is.”

“Except that you misunderstand a lot of what I say.”

“I try not to.”

Sista was quiet a moment. “Guess what I’m eating?”

“I can’t guess. I can’t see you.”

“Guess.”

“I can’t.”

“Guess!”

“Tell me.”

“Guess.”

“Tell me or the tickle monster’s going to wake you up when I get back.”

Sista laughed. “I thought he was reserved for the children?”

“And my wife when she’s being particularly ornery and mean to me.”

“Ohhhh. Have to remember that from now on. Come on. Guess. It’s sweet.”

“Ice cream.”

“Yes! What kind?”

“Rocky road.”

“Bubble gum.”

“I was only half wrong. What do I get for that?”

Sista laughed. “Can’t tell you. This isn’t a secure channel. Wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone.”

“I thought Kathah didn’t get embarrassed,” Malcolm smiled, pulling his knees up to his chest and smiling at the communicator in his hand.

“I don’t. You do.”

“Not fair!”

“I’m your wife. Everything I do is fair.”

“I don’t buy that.”

“I wish you were here tonight, Malcolm.”

Malcolm closed his eyes, picturing Sista’s face. “I already am, Vardee.”

“No. You’re stuck there for—”

“Vardee, I’m already there.”

There was a pause.

“Can’t you feel my hand on your cheek?” Malcolm asked.

Sista made a soft noise. “Yes. It’s warm and soft.”

“And I kiss your lips and hold you close. You wrap your arms around me and tell my you love me in Varlikon. I love how it sounds.”

Sista was quiet. “You are here. I love you Malcolm.”

Malcolm opened his eyes. “I love you, Vardee.”

Sista laughed suddenly. “Uh-uh. I love you more.”

“No. I love you more.”

“I love you more!”

“Not nearly as much as I love you.”

“No. I love you more than you will ever love me.”

Malcolm grinned. “I love you to infinity.”

“YOU SAID IT!” Sista cried. “I can’t believe you said it!”

Malcolm laughed. “Someone had to stop this. I have to get some sleep for the hike tomorrow.”

“Thank you for talking to me.”

“You’re welcome. Go back to sleep, darling. I’ll be back in two days and then you can tell me all the gossip.”

“Okay. Good night, Malcolm.”

“Good night, Vardee.” Malcolm snapped the communicator close. He laid his head against the tree, looking up through the leaves at the stars.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.