Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Doppelgänger"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The crew decide to visit a world of humans that is caught between a 1930's world and technology exceeding the era. A mistaken identity and murderous plots may cost the life of one of them.


CHAPTER 5

Archer pulled a plate of leftover roast beef from the refrigerator and turned, running into Jisyca. Archer stepped around her and walked to the counter.

“What’ch’a doin’ Haeri?” Jisyca asked.

“Making a sandwich.”

Jisyca sidled up to him, reached across him and pulled a glass from the cupboard in front of him. Archer moved half a step sideways when she leaned forward and her breasts rubbed against his arm. Jisyca held the glass with both hands, watching Archer’s face.

“A glass of iced tea, Haeri?”

“I can get it. Thanks.”

Jisyca reached out and laid her hand on Archer’s arm, sliding it down to his wrist. Archer turned his head, meeting her gaze.

“What do you want, Jisyca?” Archer demanded.

Jisyca sat the glass aside and slipped between the counter and Archer. She reached up and laid her hands on his shoulders, moving her body close to his. Archer stepped back and she followed, pulling even closer to him. Archer’s instincts went on red alert. He was sure that she was after something, but he didn’t know if it was a sexual something or if she was using her advances as a ploy for something else.

Jisyca slid her hands down Archer to his waist and began to worm her hands between his waistband and body. Archer grabbed her arms, pulled them away and retreated several steps. Jisyca pulled one arm behind her back with the opposite hand, watching him with a pouty look he was sure she was faking.

“You’ve had a long day, baby.” Jisyca stepped back, resting the heels of her hands on the counter behind her. “I can finish this and bring it to you in the parlor.

“No thank you.” Archer stepped around Jisyca to the counter to finish making his sandwich.

Jisyca reached back, picked up a sliver of roast and lifted it to Archer’s lips. Archer looked at her without a word or attempting to take it from her. She shrugged her eyebrows and popped the meat in her mouth, seductively licking her fingers.

“Excuse me.” Archer turned to leave.

Jisyca stepped in front of him, stepping close. Archer retreated right into the counter behind him and when he sidestepped, she followed like a good dance partner. Jisyca slid an arm around his neck, pulling herself up and her face close to his. Archer moved his head back, watching her face.

“What do you want, Jisyca?” Archer asked.

“If you’re not hungry, maybe I could be your desert, baby.” Jisyca traced his lips with a finger. “It’s been a long time since we slept in the same bed, Haeri.”

Archer grabbed her wrist when she tried to slide her hand down his pants. He moved away, turning to face her. She moved to get close to him and he pushed her away.

“What do you want, Jisyca?”

“You, baby. I want you.”

“I don’t want you.”

Jisyca stepped back, looking angry.

“I’ll be in the parlor.” Archer said, backing away from her toward the door.

Jisyca shrugged her shoulder slightly. Archer retreated from the kitchen and walked to the parlor. He fell onto a couch, putting his hands over his face for a moment. This nightmare just kept getting worse by the moment. He hoped Nathan would get the communicator fixed before the deal went down tonight; otherwise they both may be dead in the morning. Archer’s hands dropped from his face. He found himself longing to be back on Enterprise and craving Chef’s fried chicken. Then his thoughts turned to Brila’s Black Forest cake drizzled with raspberry syrup that had plump, juicy raspberries in it. Brila always beamed with pride when Archer complimented her on the desert.

“Here, baby,” Jisyca said.

Archer looked up. Jisyca was holding out a glass of tea and sandwich to him. Archer took them, watching her suspiciously. She sat down next to him, curling her legs up on the cushion and leaning against his arm. Archer stared at her, but she seemed oblivious as she watched the world outside the parlor windows.

“I think the shipment will go fine tonight, Haeri.” Jisyca said.

Archer sat the glass down on the table in front of him and took a bite out of the sandwich. It tasted good, to his surprise.

“Don’t you think so, baby?” Jisyca asked.

Archer continued eating without comment.

“Are you worried about it, Haeri?”

“Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“That cop turned on us because we refused to pay him more money, Jisyca,” Archer continued to lie, hoping it would make her leave. “Who’s to say there isn’t another turncoat? Especially if they’ve caught wind of how big this shipment is.”

“Who would do that?” Jisyca asked.

“Who wouldn’t do that is what you should be asking.”

“Of course I should. You always know best about these affairs, baby.”

Archer looked askance at her. He was glad the situation chose him and not the other way around. He would have abandon this woman in a heartbeat if he could have.

“I’m going to go make an appearance downtown. If they see me, then they won’t suspect anything.”

“They?”

“The fuzz, sweetheart.”

“Now I’m sweetheart?”

“Hardly,” Archer accidentally muttered out loud. He stuffed the sandwich in his mouth so he’d have an excuse not to say anything else.

Jisyca reached out and began to run her hands through the hair on the back of Archer’s head. Archer suddenly lost his appetite. He sat the sandwich aside as he rose to his feet.

“Aren’t you going to finish your sandwich?”

“I’m not hungry. I have to take care of some things.”

Jisyca caught his wrist and pulled on it until he gave in and sat back down. She reached across and picked up the glass of iced tea, handing it to him. Archer took it, looking her in the eyes. Jisyca leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

“Let’s not fight today, honey. Let’s pretend like we’re just married and spend the afternoon in our bedroom.”

Archer put the glass to his lips when she leaned in for a kiss and drank the entire glass. Archer sat it down and stood. He took one step toward the door and the world around him started to spin. Archer lost his balance and fell back onto the couch.

“What have you done?” Archer demanded from Jisyca.

Jisyca leaned close to him. Archer felt her hand on his thigh and it ran up his body until it stopped on his throat.

I think I know who’d turn us in on this shipment tonight, baby,” Jisyca leaned close to his ear, talking in a hushed voice, “but them boys are loyal to you and they wouldn’t believe their Boss is a turncoat. But I promise you, Haeri, when I get done with you, they will never trust you again.” Jisyca straddled Archer’s lap, her eyes following the curves of his face. “There was a time I love you, Haeri.” Jisyca looked into Archer’s dilated eyes. “Now I just want you dead and gone. You aren’t wrecking my home because you got weak, Haeri. So you just get yourself some sleep and let me hand this, baby. And when I come back, I’ll handle you.”

“You’re psychotic, Jisyca,” Archer muttered. His body was so heavy he couldn’t hardly move his limbs or keep his eyes open.

Jisyca leaned forward and pressed her lips to his. Archer closed his eyes, knowing he was helpless.

“Sweet dreams, Haeri,” Jisyca whispered. She ran her fingers through his hair, “After tonight, we’ll see who runs your gang.” Jisyca kissed him again.

Archer fell asleep with her lips still pressed to his.

#

“Right here,” Kolin said, pointing to the spot on the map on the situation monitor. “This is the deli.”

Trip nodded, looking over the screen. He turned, looking at T’Pol, Malcolm, Kolin, Sista and Travis. Even T’Pol had a somewhat tense expression.

“Now, I don’t know what kind of an angle you need, but you’d best set up people tonight. Before Vignand sends people down there.” Kolin looked up at Trip. “This General is bad news, Trip, and he’s not known for keeping his end of agreements.”

“I figured that much.”

“Maybe you use combadges,” Sista suggested.

“I think I may agree to that,” Trip said, “Especially if it will help us get everyone out of there before this General kills Hoshi or Elizabeth and gets the schematics.”

Kolin leaned against the console. “I am still getting them, aren’t I?”

“Yes,” Trip answered with a nod, “and five working models. Just like we agreed.”

Kolin nodded. He looked around the situation room with a long sigh. “This I never imagined in a million years.”

Trip smiled at his identical twin. “You I never imagined in a million years.”

Kolin cast a sly look at Trip. “Just be thankful I’m easy to buy.”

Trip laughed. “I am. Now, about Captain Archer.”

Kolin leaned over the screen and touched the controls. Trip was impressed that the man had learned the controls so fast. He’d learned much about Enterprise as if he had been trained or raised on the ship itself. Kolin stopped moving the screen and pointed to a block.

“Twenty-two oh three. Big marble mansion. Impressive and formidable and guarded like Fort Erel.”

“Erel?”

“They hold all the treasury for Ristar. Gold, silver..someday I may break in there and retire for life if I make it out alive.”

Trip smiled. Kolin’s humor was very similar to his own, just shadier. He could find a good joke in just about anything.

“Work with Malcolm to figure out a good plan.”

Kolin nodded once, turning his attention over to Malcolm.

“Sub-Commander,” the ensign at the communications station called.

T’Pol turned to him. “Yes?”

“We’re being hailed from the surface. The signal is Starfleet, but there is no locator signal associated with it. I don’t know if it’s a communicator or not. Should I reply?”

“Put it through.” T’Pol replied, walking over to stand next to the captain’s chair. “Identify yourself.” She demanded as soon as the ensign nodded to her that the channel was open.

“Sub-Commander T’Pol, I’d hug your right now if I could. God it’s great to hear your voice!” Nathan said with audible relief.

“What is your situation? Is Captain Archer with you?”

“The situation is stable, but not for long. And the captain’s right here, but I need to speak to Doctor Phlox, Sub-Commander.”

“For what purpose?”

“Captain Archer’s been drugged and I have to wake him up before the psycho bitch from hell returns to finish him off.”

“Stand by.” T’Pol said, nodding to the ensign at the communications station.

#

The cold water took half a heartbeat to instigate a reaction from Archer. He gasped, coming out of the drug induced sleep to a sitting position. Archer looked around him, trying to get his bearings as the grogginess of the drug started to release him.

“Worked like a charm, Doctor Phlox. Thanks,” Archer heard Nathan say. Nathan stepped into Archer’s line of sight. “I’m sorry about that, sir. You were drugged and Doctor Phlox said splashing you with water might wake you. Everything else I tried wasn’t working.”

“Jisyca drugged me. Did Doctor..” Archer looked at the open communicator Nathan held out to him. “You fixed it?”

“Yes, sir. Sub-Commander T’Pol is standing by for you, sir.”

“Is there anyone else here?” Archer looked up at Nathan.

“No. They all went with Jisyca I guess. I broke the door to get out.”

Archer got up and walked over to a communicator console along the wall of the parlor.

“What are you doing, sir?” Nathan asked.

“Gotta make a phone call real fast before we head home, Nathan. Tell T’Pol to continue standing by.”

Archer reached out and touched the screen. He selected to block his image and then placed a call.

“Shorefront Police. How may I direct your call?”

“This is an emergency,” Archer said. “There is an arms shipment deal going at pier nineteen on the boat ‘Acquilus.’ Send officers there immediately and warn them that everyone is armed,” Archer discontinued the call. He took the communicator from Nathan. “T’Pol?”

“Yes, Captain. Are you all right, sir?”

“I think so. Can you get a transporter lock on us?”

“NO. Your communicator is not transmitting a location signal.”

“Sorry, sir. I tried,” Nathan said.

Archer patted his shoulder reassuringly. “Do you have any way to locate us, T’Pol? We have to get out of here before they get back.”

“We do have the location of the house you are in and have already prepared to retrieve you and Ensign Novakovich.

“You know where we’re at?” Archer looked questionably at Nathan, thinking he had somehow figured it out and told them.

Nathan shrugged.

“Much has transpired aboard Enterprise and on the surface since we lost contact with you four days ago, Captain.”

“Fill me in later. Get us out of here fast, T’Pol.”

“You’re stay on Xaritex has been an unpleasant one I assume.”

“To say the least, worse than you can imagine.”

“We will be there to retrieve you shortly. T’Pol out.”

Archer flicked the communicator shut.

“Now we wait?” Nathan asked.

“Now we wait.” Archer walked over to a chair and sat down.

#

Malcolm and T’Pol appeared behind a house. T’Pol flicked open her communicator.

“T’Pol to Archer.”

There was a pause before Archer replied. “Archer here.”

“We are about to disengage the electric fence. Stand by.”

“Standing by,” Archer said.

T’Pol and Malcolm walked around the house and across the street to a high iron fence. T’Pol looked up when headlights swung in her direction and watched a car speed up the drive and come to a screeching halt at the front steps. They could hear the door slam after the person got out.

“A car has just pulled into the drive, Captain.”

“It’s Jisyca and she’s out for my blood. HURRY! Archer out.”

T’Pol configured the tricorder and aimed it at fence. It beeped quietly twice and indicated that the electricity had been shut off.

“Come,” T’Pol ordered Malcolm and the two scaled the fence, dropping onto the opposite side.

They crouched down behind some brush, watching the house. T’Pol opened her communicator again.

“T’Pol to Archer.”

There was no reply.

“T’Pol to Archer.”

Again she received no reply.

T’Pol watched the house while she tried to formulate a plan. A gunshot broke the silence.

“T’Pol, we have to go in now.” Malcolm said to her, “Let’s try one of the back doors.”

T’Pol nodded once and the two started around the house.

#

Jisyca walked into the house as Archer stepped into the foyer. She aimed and shot at Archer. He leapt back into the parlor with Nathan. Archer turned, finding Jisyca in the door. Archer lifted his hands and kept himself between her and Nathan. The communicator in his hand beeped a couple times but he didn’t take his eyes off Jisyca or attempt to open it to answer the hail.

“Jisyca, I can explain,” Archer said.

“Do you think I’m a dumb Dora or something, Haeri?” Jisyca cocked the handgun. “You snitched and sold us out, Haeri! I know you was the one that called the fuzz,” Jisyca sneered at him, “You were supposed to die in that explosion! It was all planned perfectly. But somehow you got out,” Jisyca raised her arm, aiming the gun right between Archer’s eyes, “but not this time, darling.”

“I’m not your husband,” Archer blurted.

“Yeah right!”

“I’M NOT!” Archer felt his heart pounding in his temples. “My name is Jonathan Archer. I’m not from here. This whole thing has been a case of mistaken identity. Everyone’s been saying I’ve been acting strange. Think about it, Jisyca. For the last five days you’ve said several times how I didn’t do something like I use to. Would your Haeri order his men not to kill a policeman? Would Haeri Two Scars just let people walk away like that? Would Haeri Two Scars turn in his own men and wife?”

“Yes.”

“Don’t you think it was odd that I didn’t know our children’s names?”

“You had a bump on the head.”

“A little bruise and that’s it. Not enough to keep me from remembering you or your children’s names. I am not Haeri Two Scars, Jisyca! My name is Jonathan Archer.”

A phase pistol blast hit Jisyca in the back and stunned her unconscious. Archer let out a sigh of relief when he saw T’Pol and Malcolm come out of the shadows.

“Did we come at a bad time, sir?” Malcolm asked, glancing down at the woman on the floor.

“On the contrary, your timing is impeccable, Malcolm.”

T’Pol walked over to Archer and stood next to him. She flipped open her communicator.

“We have located the captain and Ensign Novakovich. Prepare to transport.”

Archer looked down at Jisyca. He was glad it was the last he’d be seeing of her.

“We have problems back on Enterprise, sir,” Malcolm said and then they were transported.


Back to Chapter 4
Continue to Chapter 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.