Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Excess Baggage"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: An away team on their way to explore a planet is forced to land, and discover the natives are very hostile. To make the situation worse, they discover they have three unexpected stow aways.


CHAPTER 2

Archer felt Porthos’ tongue licking his ear and smiled a little.

“Stop,” Archer told him. He felt nauseous and guessed he’d probably swallowed more river water than was good for him.

Porthos whined.

Archer opened his eyes. Porthos' legs were in front of his face and beyond that was a sandy beach and forest. He pulled himself into a sitting position, looking at the gently flowing river in front of him. Archer started searching his pockets for his communicator but didn’t find it. He slowly got to his feet and Porthos happily danced around his feet. Archer reached down, petting the dog’s head a couple of times and then began searching for the others. He spotted Luke down the beach and trotted over to him. Archer checked his pulse and found a strong one.

“Captain.”

Archer spun, grabbing for a phase pistol that wasn’t there. Marsha drew back a couple of steps, pulling Eartik with her and running into Malcolm.

“Sorry. How are you guys?” Archer asked them.

“Wet and cold, but otherwise fine, sir,” Malcolm answered.

“Where’s Navta?” Archer stood, looking up and down the beach.

“We haven’t seen her yet.”

“Marsha, stay with Luke. Malcolm, start up river, I’ll go down river.”

Archer started walking toward the rocky shore down river. He caught sight of something near the river amid the rocks and trotted toward it. He spotted Navta’s blond hair and ran to her. Archer knelt down beside her so he could pick her up. His racing heart calmed when he found she had a pulse and was breathing still. Archer picked her up in his arms and carried her back to the others. Luke had sat up and was trying to get his legs under him. Archer called to Malcolm and waved him back.

“Do any of you have a communicator?” Archer asked them.

“No,” Malcolm answered.

Luke and Marsha searched their pockets. Luke finally shook his head. Marsha stopped when she felt hers and pulled it out of her pocket. She held it away from her, watching water pour out of it.

“I doubt that’s functional,” Archer commented.

“So do I, sir.” Marsha looked at him, dropping it back in his pocket.

“What now?” Luke asked him.

“Let’s get back in the woods and start down river.” Archer turned and started walking, adjusting Navta in his arms.

#

Archer stopped, looking down at Navta when she turned her head. He knelt down, aware that the others were walking back to join them. Navta opened her eyes, looking at the others and then Archer.

“Hey,” Archer said.

Navta looked down without a word.

“How do you feel? Can you walk?” Archer asked her.

Navta nodded.

Archer sat her down on her feet, noticing she was favoring her right leg.

“What’s wrong?” Archer asked, laying his hand on her leg.

“Nothin’. Hurts a little,” Navta answered quietly.

“Can you walk on it?”

“Yes.”

“Navta--” Eartik started.

Navta’s head whipped around and she hissed at him, silencing him. Archer stood, leaning over so he could look in her eyes when she looked at him.

“Navta...does your leg hurt too much to walk on it?”

“No. My ankle’s fine.”

“Then put weight on it.”

“It’s fine. I can walk.”

“Navta, now.”

“NO!” Navta yelled at Archer.

“Navta,” Archer said quietly, crouching down in front of her. “It hurts too bad to walk on it, doesn’t it?”

Navta looked to the side.

“Navta?”

“It’s fine.”

“Liar,” Archer heard Eartik mutter.

Archer looked up. “Why don’t you guys go on ahead? Navta and I need to talk for a minute.”

Malcolm caught Eartik’s hand and they started walking. Archer looked back at Navta.

“I’m sorry I got so angry yesterday, but this time you disobeyed me and I’m worried it may be the last time you do, Navta. This place is dangerous and we don’t know why they’re shooting at us.” Archer laid his hands on her arms.

Navta yanked away, stepping back. She grimaced when she put too much weight on her ankle and fell backward, sitting down hard. Navta whimpered, closing her eyes. Archer moved next to her, pulling her pants leg up and unzipping her boot. Even before he pulled her boot off he could see her ankle was swollen. Archer gently tested it, watching her grimace each time he touched it. Archer gently pulled her boot back on and zipped it up.

“I want it off,” Navta said.

“We won’t get it on again if we leave it off, Navta. I can’t tell if it’s broken or sprang, but you can’t walk on it.”

“So leave me then,” Navta snapped.

“Navta, stop it.”

“I’m sorry!” Navta cried, starting to cry. “I didn’t want this, K’pan. I didn’t know the shuttle pod was going to be used. I’m sorry. I can’t make it change now and you keep yelling at me and Eartik.”

“Navta you drive me crazy!” Archer smiled. “But I still love you, kiddo. I’m sorry for yelling so much; I’m just being a scared human.

“I’m a scared Jit.”

“Well, then we have something in common, don’t we?”

Navta looked up at him. “We have a lot in common, K’pan.”

“I know we do. Does your ankle hurt a lot?”

“Yeah. So does my head.”

Archer reached out to lift up her bangs and felt her fever as soon as hand was near her forehead. He sighed.

“You have a fever, must be coming down with a cold. Climb on my back and let’s keep moving, okay?”

Navta nodded. Archer helped her to her feet, and then turned and crouched down so she could climb onto his back. Navta wrapped her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist. Archer wrapped his arms around her legs and set off at a trot to catch up with the others.

#

Archer stopped, peering through the trees. His crewmen stopped around him, looking ahead to see what had caught his attention.

“What is it?” Luke asked.

“Do any of you see a flag?”

The three peered ahead.

“There,” Malcolm said, pointing at it.

“Malcolm and I are going to go check it out. Marsha and Luke, stay here with the kids. Navta, I need to set you down.”

Navta tightened her grip around his neck so he could lower her to the ground. He gave her shoulder a squeeze before he turned and started walking toward the flag.

Archer and Malcolm came to the crest of a gentle sloping hill and stopped. The hill sloped down to the town cozily nestled in the valley below. From here they could see the top of a clock tower almost in the center of the town and a flag was on top of the tower flapping in the gentle breeze.

“Do you see anything moving down there, Malcolm?” Archer asked.

“No, sir. Not even a dog or a cat. It looks utterly abandoned.”

Archer debated continuing or getting the others. He started walking again, walking to a trail that led down the hill into the town.

“For it being abandon, that road doesn’t appear to have become overgrown. Someone’s been caring for it,” Malcolm said in a quiet voice.

Archer glanced at the road to their left without comment.

They walked between silent, empty houses and buildings to the clock tower. At it’s base was a reflection pool littered with a variety of coins.

A single heavy bell rang somewhere in the town and Malcolm and Archer exchanged concerned looks. Archer turned, drawing back a step when a person appeared where he’d been standing. Humans appeared all around the men, talking, laughing and going about their daily business. Archer spun around, watching human faces pass him in a buzz and blur of a bustling town. He turned when he heard someone call out to another person and almost looked away again except something caught his eye. He turned his focus on it. The person that had drawn his attention flickered again like an image on a view monitor going in and out of range. Suddenly the person disappeared all together. Archer’s eyes narrowed, his memory drawing on a similar event of his recent past...

#

Archer walked into the Diedra’s holodeck, watching Trip. Trip was sitting in the middle of the floor, working with an object Archer couldn’t make out. The object disappeared and Trip looked up at Archer with a lazy smile.

“You love this room, don’t you, Trip?”

“Next to painting, beating you at hoops, and playing poker, this room will always rank number one.” Trip looked up at Archer with a childish grin. “Always, always.”

Archer laughed. “So what was so important you had to show me tonight?”

“This.” Trip smiled, getting to his feet. “Diedra, begin program ArcherV2.”

Around them a bar the two used to go to appeared. Archer turned, smiling when he saw a brunette walking through the crowd toward them. He felt Trip’s hand on his shoulder.

“I made her just for you.”

The woman flickered a couple times and disappeared as she extended her hand.

Archer looked at Trip. “I suppose that was on purpose?”

Trip laughed. “Yeah. Diedra, remove time limit on character Aimeè and replay from last position.”

The woman appeared in front of Archer, her hand extended. Archer laughed, taking it.

“Care to tango?” she asked him.

Archer laughed again, looking at Trip. “Sometimes I don’t know why I even talk to you, Trip.”

“Well? Care to tango? I’m going to go check out that blond over there.”

“Won’t T’Pol get jealous?”

“For me dancing?”

“Yes.”

“I sure as hell hope so!” Trip trotted off across the bar.

#

“Computer, time,” Archer said out loud.

“What?” Malcolm asked, looking at Archer.

“The time is fourteen hundred and forty-seven hours,” a young sounding female voice replied. The voice sounded like it was coming from all around them.

Archer’s eyes narrowed and his jaw set. “Computer, hold program.”

The bustling of the town froze.

“I’ll be damned...it’s a damn holograph!” Malcolm growled.

Archer pressed his lips together. “Not a ghost town. A set for a holograph.”

“But why?”

“I don’t know.” Archer reached out and touched the shoulder of a woman near him. His hand found solid flesh, but it was cool to touch, just like he remembered the characters in the bar.

“Computer, end program,” Archer instructed.

“Compliant. Simulation to resume at fourteen hundred and thirty hours.”

“Search the town, Malcolm. We need somewhere to sleep that’s warm tonight. I’m going to go get the others. Meet us back here.”

“Aye, sir.” Malcolm walked to a building and disappeared inside.

Archer turned and headed back out of the town at a jog

#

Archer stopped, finding Luke, Marsha and the children surrounded by soldiers. Archer felt something push into his back and turned. The soldier behind him motioned toward the four. Archer turned and walked toward them. Navta was clutching Marsha’s uniform to hold herself up and favoring her ankle. Eartik had Porthos clutched to his chest, half turned away from the soldiers. Archer looked at the faces around him.

“It can’t be,” Archer murmured. “Computer, hold program,” Archer ordered and the soldiers stopped moving. “Computer, end program.”

The soldiers disappeared.

“Compliant. Program to resume at oh-eight-hundred hours,” a computerized voice said. This one was different than the one in town, but it also sounded like it came from all around them.

“Captain?” Marsha said.

Archer looked back at her. She was watching him with a confused look.

“They’re holographs. So are the people in the town ahead. But there are houses and they’re warm. Maybe they have working resequencers too. I left Malcolm to scout out a place.”

Marsha crouched down and let Navta climb onto her back. Archer reached out, brushing damp hair away from the child’s eyes.

“Feeling worse?” Archer asked her.

Navta nodded.

“Hopefully we can find a soft bed, okay?”

Navta nodded again. Archer smiled, gently patting her cheek. He turned and led the way back into town.

#

They followed Malcolm into a building and the lights came on. There were tables and booths arranged around the building. At the back was a counter with stools and a bar behind it with colored bottles lining the shelves in front of a full wall mirror.

“It’s a restaurant, right?” Marsha offered

“Or a bar,” Luke said.

“I don’t know. Across the street is what appears to be a hotel,” Malcolm told them. “There’s a lot more that I wasn’t able to investigate before you returned, sir.” Malcolm looked back at Archer.

“Whatever it is, it being this empty and quiet doesn’t feel right,” Archer said.

“Computer, state building’s designation,” Eartik said.

The adults looked at him, surprised how naturally he said it.

“Building 1AP-T3 is designated as retail site.”

“Computer, state building 1AP-T3’s purpose,” Eartik ordered.

“Building 1AP-T3 is used as a communal dining area where residents of Ti-Op-La can gather to discuss events, situations and emotional states.”

“There. That’s what the building is.”

“How did you know it would tell you that?” Archer asked him.

“He knows how to work holographs,” Navta answered for Eartik, “This is nothing new to him.”

Archer looked around at her. She had her head laid on Marsha’s shoulder with her eyes half open and in this light, she looked pale. Archer reached out and took her from Marsha. Navta laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

“This is just one really big holodeck, K’pan,” Eartik told Archer, “I’ve never seen one so big or that used real stuff and holographs like out there in the woods. That’s different.”

“Ask it for food.”

“Computer, does building 1AP-T3 come with personnel?” Eartik asked.

“Yes. Building 1AP-T3 has a full-time compliment of twelve personnel, available twenty-seven hours and nine days a week.”

“I’d say it’s running on a completely different time zone,” Marsha commented.

Luke walked over to a table and sat down. “Eartik, I dunno about you, but I’m starving. Could you maybe get some food here?”

Malcolm and Marsha joined Luke at the table.

“Computer, initiate personnel. Serve five occupants, uhm...the current...”

“Special,” Navta said, “Order the special, Eartik.”

Archer walked over to a table and sat Navta down in a chair. She laid back in the chair, staring at the table with a somber expression and blank stare. Archer sat down on her other side, patting her leg.

“Order something, Eartik. We need to eat. Navta needs water,” Archer told him.

Eartik walked over to the table and sat Porthos on the floor before he climbed into a chair. The Beagle immediately laid down and went to sleep. “Serve the five occupants the current special with water for the beverage. Add a dish of unseasoned, cooked meat and a bowl of water.”

“Compliant.”

Suddenly twelve individuals appeared in a row. They turned and started going about the jobs they’d been programmed for.

“Eartik, can you get the computer to tell us anything about it? What its purpose is? Why it’s here? And if there’s some way to communicate with Enterprise?”

“I can try. Computer, state your designation.”

“That information is restricted.”

“Computer, state your purpose.”

“That information is restricted.”

“You’re doing it wrong,” Navta grumped at Eartik.

“I am not. Computer--”

“You’re doing it wrong!” Navta snarled.

“Fine! You do it!”

“Computer,” Navta called out, “Reconfirm assigned routine function and define creator. Analyze all routines and interactions with animate sentient beings. Analyze all results from sub-routines, related and linked command sequences. Recompile data and hold for further commands.”

“What are you doing?” Eartik asked her.

“Tricking it. Thought even you knew how to do that, stupid.”

“Ignore her, Eartik. She’s sick and grouchy,” Marsha told Eartik.

“All routings are defined to creator Mixamus Gartouche. Analysis completed and compiled to include all data within the last twenty minutes. Determining, locating and compiling lists for all sub-routines and related and linked command sequences. Compilation complete and held for further commands.”

“Computer, did simulations complete successfully or unsuccessfully?” Eartik asked.

“Unable to determine. Simulations were terminated by user interaction before completion.”

“Ask it when the simulations end,” Archer told Eartik

“Computer, when does simulation end?”

“Unable to determine simulation termination.”

“Why?”

“Unable to define response or request.”

“Not a very bright computer,” Eartik grumbled. “Computer, locate and give location of the closest communication terminal.”

“The nearest communication terminal is six terminons from user’s current location.”

“What the hell is a terminon?” Marsha asked.

“Computer, redirect one of building 1AP-T3’s personnel to show user where a communication terminal is.”

“Compliant.”

One of the holographs appeared beside Eartik.

“This way please,” she said with a smile.

Archer and Eartik got up and followed her to the back of the building to a view screen and console.

“Do you require assistance on the operation of this terminal?” she asked.

“Yes,” Eartik and Archer replied at the same time.

Archer watched and listened to her as she briefly described the functions. He returned her smile when she looked up at him.

“She’s a holograph, K’pan. Stop smiling at her!” Eartik scolded.

“Sorry. Habit.” Archer pressed the buttons as the holograph had instructed and opened a channel. “Archer to Enterprise, respond.”

#

Hoshi sat up. “I’m receiving a hail from the surface, ma’am,” Hoshi looked back at T’Pol and grinned, “It’s the Captain.”

T’Pol rose from the captain’s chair, nodding once. On the screen Archer appeared.

“Captain, we have been trying to hail you for several hours.”

“My communicator is somewhere down river. Don’t... Ask. We have some interesting news. Everyone down here is a holograph!”

“A holograph?” Trip asked, coming out of the situation room to stand beside T’Pol.

“Yeah. They’re serving us dinner right now.”

“You made friends with these holographs?” T’Pol asked.

“Not exactly. More like took control. Eartik’s been commanding the computer and so far it’s listening. How far are we from the shuttle pod?”

“You’re about forty-eight kilometers from the shuttle pod, sir,” Travis answered.

“We can’t walk that far. Navta has either broken or sprang her ankle and she’s running a fever. T’Pol, did you read any bio signs when you scanned the surface?”

“I already told you I did not detect any beings on the surface.”

“No. No. Not beings. Any bio signs. Birds, rats, hell, worms for that matter? Anything?”

“One moment.” T’Pol walked around to her station and pulled up the scan. She stood, looking at the view screen. “No, Captain, there were no sign of any biologics.”

“This place is really weird. There is nothing living, yet this town looks like it’s been taken care of.”

“Perhaps the holographs are programmed to tend to the town,” T’Pol suggested.

“Perhaps. Can you shoot down those spheres?”

“We tried shooting one with a torpedo,” Trip said, “It was destroyed as soon as it entered the upper atmosphere. We tried the cannon too and figured out the spheres have an energy shield around ‘em. We didn’t make a dent.”

“Try communicating with one. See if you can control it like a holograph program, Trip.”

“Okay. Then what?”

“We’d like a ride back to the shuttle pod.”

“How can we get a hold of you?”

“I don’t think you can. I’ll get a hold of you.”

“Hopefully we have an answer by then.”

“I hope you do too, Trip. I’d rather not live my life out with a bunch of holograms. Archer out.”

#

Archer walked back, watching the holographic person set bowls and glasses of water down. Archer wasn’t about to be picky as hungry as he was. He picked up a spoon and tasted the food. The dish tasted like beef stew with large chunks of meat and vegetables in it. Archer looked at Navta to ask her if her meal was any good and found she was still slouched in her chair.

“Navta, you need to eat,” Archer told her.

Navta didn’t move.

“Navta.”

“I’m not hungry!” Navta snapped.

“Navta--”

“She’s sick to her stomach, K’pan,” Eartik said.

Archer turned a little in his chair. “Are you sick to your stomach?”

Navta nodded.

“Maybe they have soup.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Okay. But you need to drink some water. You’ve been running a fever all day.”

Navta turned in her chair, turning her back on Archer. Archer felt a twinge of hurt from the action but ignored it; it wasn’t the first time Navta had thrown a tantrum and he doubted it was the last. Archer turned back to his meal.

#

Archer heard something moving in the hall and sat up in bed. The door slid open and he held his breath, watching the dark form in the doorway.

“Captain?” Marsha said quietly.

“Yeah?”

“Navta’s in the bathroom. She can’t hold anything down. I know you two are mad at each other, but I think she needs you, sir.”

“She’s down the hall?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll be right there, Marsha.”

Archer found his uniform and pulled it on in the dark. Archer stepped out of the room, seeing a light at the end of the hall. He walked into the bathroom, finding Marsha holding Navta to her and gently stroking the child’s face.

“She’s really hot, sir,” Marsha looked up at him, “and she keeps throwing up.”

“Go to bed,” Archer told Marsha, sitting down on the floor.

Navta crawled into Archer’s lap, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her hot cheek against his. Archer wrapped his arms around her, gently rocking her.

“Maybe there’s a doctor,” Marsha said

“A holographic doctor?” Archer looked up at Marsha. “What’s the chance of that?”

“It’s worth a try, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. Give it a try.”

“Computer, is there a doctor holograph?” Marsha asked the ceiling.

“Restate inquiry,” the computer replied.

“Is there a doctor?”

“Restate inquiry.”

“Activate medical emergency holograph,” Navta whispered.

“What?” Marsha asked her.

“Computer, activate medical emergency holograph,” Archer ordered.

Before them a female doctor appeared, complete with a medic kit.

“State the medical emergency.”

“This child is ill,” Archer told it.

“State symptoms of the child.”

“Fever, nausea and vomiting.”

“Hard to breath,” Navta whispered.

“Constricted breathing.”

“Clarify constricted breathing.”

“How does it hurt? And when?

“When I breathe it burns across my chest. I can’t get all my breath.”

The holograph knelt down, opened the medic kit and began checking Navta over. She pulled a hypospray out of her bag and slid a vial into it.

“Wait,” Archer said when she turned to inject Navta with the medicine.

The holograph froze.

“Computer, what’s in that hypospray?”

“Restate inquiry.”

“State what symptoms the contents of the hypospray relieve,” Navta whispered.

Archer restated the command.

“Fever and pain,” the computer replied.

“Is it intended for a homo sapien, human or carbon-based life form?” Archer asked.

“Please restate inquiry.”

“State the species the medication in the hypospray is intended for,” Marsha commanded.

“Trill, Ferengi, Tartola, Vulcan and Romulan.”

“That doesn’t sound good,” Archer said. “Navta, how do we get it to tell us what to do for your symptoms?”

Archer looked down at her face when she didn’t answer and found she’d fallen asleep.

“Computer, deactivate holograph.”

The doctor disappeared.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know, sir,” Marsha said.

“It’s okay, Marsha. It was a good try. Go on back to bed. I’ll stay up with her.”

Marsha reached down and laid a hand on Navta’s face. “She was asking for you when I came to get you.”

Archer looked up at Marsha.

Marsha smiled. “I just...I used to fight with my parents too. Guess that’s spans across all aliens races.”

“I’m not her parent, Marsha.”

“Of course you aren’t, sir.” Marsha smiled again and stood. “Good night, sir.”

Archer watched her leave the bathroom. He hugged Navta to him, laying his cheek against her head.

#

Archer woke slowly, looking up into Marsha’s face. The morning sunlight was filtering through the stained glass of the hotel’s parlor, casting a red-orange hue across the floor and shading the flower print walls the same color. Archer looked down at Navta’s sweaty, pale face as he readjusted his arms around her.

“Are you awake Captain?” Marsha asked.

“Sort of.”

Marsha smiled, setting the plate of food in her hand on the table beside the rocking chair Archer was sitting in.

“Brought you some breakfast. Any change?” Marsha asked, laying a hand on Navta’s cheek.

“None,” Archer whispered, “She just fell asleep again.”

“Up all night?”

“Up and down. She was able to hold some water down for a while.”

“I brought some fresh water.” Marsha motioned to the glass on the table. “Lieutenants Reed and Anderson went scouting around the town. The soldiers came on while we were out there and Lieutenant Anderson ordered the program off. The computer said they wouldn’t be back until oh-eight-hundred again. When did you say the town turned back on?”

“Fourteen hundred.”

“Alright. I’ll let them know. I’m taking Eartik to the library to see if we can find anything.”

“Let me know if you do,” Archer said, “and tell Malcolm to contact Enterprise to see if anything’s changed on their end.”

“Will do, sir.” Marsha turned and walked out of the parlor.

Archer closed his eyes as he slowly rocked, drifting back to sleep.

#

It didn’t register that he was seeing Trip, T’Pol and Hoshi through the stained glass window. They had stopped to talk to Luke and when they turned to walk to the hotel it registered who they were. Archer sat up in the rocking chair, watching them walk up to the door and into the hotel foyer.

“In here,” Archer called.

The three turned and walked into the parlor. Archer adjusted Navta on his lap. She stirred, but didn’t wake up.

“We tried what you suggested,” Trip told him, “Them spheres reacted just like holographs and obeyed our orders and they let us land.”

Archer slowly stood, waking Navta. She glanced at the three and went back to sleep.

“She’s really sick,” Archer told them.

“We’ll drop you off at the shuttle and you can take her back,” Trip said, “Where’s Malcolm, Marsha and Eartik? Luke said he hadn’t seen them for a couple of hours.”

“Marsha and Eartik are at what Marsha believes is a library. Malcolm went to scout the other end of town and see what he could find. Hoshi, stay here with the others and see if you can decipher the language in some of the books Marsha found at the library. T’Pol, you might know something too. We tried to use a holographic doctor and it was going to inject her with something for Trills, Ferengis, Tartolas, Vulcans and Romulans, so evidently whoever made this place knew about Vulcans.”

“I will try,” T’Pol replied.

“Good enough. Let’s go Trip.”

Trip turned and led Archer to the shuttle pod outside the town.

#

Archer looked up when he heard the Sickbay doors open. He smiled, watching Hoshi walk up. She pulled up a stool and sat down next to Archer.

“How is she? Did Doctor Phlox find out what was wrong?” Hoshi asked.

“She’s better. She has the good old-fashioned pneumonia.”

“Is her ankle broken?”

“No. Luckily it was just a really bad sprang.” Archer looked up at Navta when she shifted in her sleep. She turned onto her side, clutching her patchwork teddy bear to her chest a little tighter and then relaxing. “You’re back early,” Archer commented, looking back at Hoshi. “Find anything?”

“Not really, sir,” Hoshi shook her head, “but if we ever find the alien that made this place, I’m going to chew both of his ears off. We were headed back to the shuttle pod and all of a sudden this holographic alien appeared, introduced himself as Mixamus Gartouche, thanked us for participating in his ongoing experiment of sentient interaction with his simulated planet, wished us a good day and asked us to return any time we felt the need for a test of skill and challenge of mind.” Hoshi pressed her lips together for a minute with a slight shake of her head. “It’s a good thing he was a holograph. Commander Tucker tried to give him a left hook.”

Archer smiled. “Good thing he was a holograph because I would have given him a right hook so he’d have had matching bruises.”

Hoshi smiled.

“Did it say anything else?”

“No. Nothing. I don’t know what it was talking about. None of us do. T’Pol hypothesized that the planet was perhaps part of a science experiment and all alien interactions were being recorded for any variety of reasons. She was real vague about what she meant by that. I can’t help but wonder if not knowing what the place is for bothers her more than she’s letting on. You know how she hates not having a cut and dry answer.”

“Yeah. I do. Did Trip find a computer terminal?”

“Yes and we copied the database. He, Drista and Jokra are in the Diedra right now trying to see if it will tell them anything more. Do you think it will?”

“Not if it’s creator is as advance as what I saw, Hoshi. Being able to project a planet wide holograph is a good clue that the race that created this place is far more advance than we are. It may take two or more generations to unravel this puzzle.”

“You’re doubting our engineering staff?” Hoshi smiled.

Archer chuckled. “No. I’d never doubt Trip and his team, but even he admitted the technology he saw at first glance was way beyond our knowledge. We’ll see.”

“I’d like to know. Just so I can give the creator a piece of my mind. I was just on my way to bed but I thought you’d like to know what was happening and I wanted to see how half-pint here was doing.” Hoshi stood. “Do you need anything, sir?”

“No. Thank you.”

“Good-night, sir.”

“Night, Hoshi.”

Hoshi turned and left. Archer looked back at the book on his PADD, tracking down where he’d left off.

“I’m sorry we were on the shuttle pod, K’pan,” Navta whispered, “I promise I won’t do it again.”

Ever since they’d returned, Likos and several other fathers had warned him not to praise Navta for her help on the planet. They claimed it would encourage her to do something like it again but he knew they didn’t know Navta as well as he did. Archer looked up at her and smiled.

“Navta...” Archer hesitated. “I’m glad this turned out alright, but let’s not do it again. I don’t like to worry about you like this, half-pint.” Archer laid a hand on her head, looking into her eyes. “I love you. Please don’t make me worry like this again. I didn’t like being that angry with you.”

“I love you too, K’pan. Won’t happen ever, never, ever again. I promise,” Navta whispered.

“Good enough.” Archer leaned forward and kissed her hot forehead. “Go back to sleep, sweetheart.”

Navta nodded her head slightly. Archer picked up her hand and pressed her fingers to his lips, watching her sleep.


Back to Chapter 1

This series cotinues in Age of Enlightenment

The next Tweens story is Monsters Under the Bed

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.