Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Fork in the Road"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The prank wars heat up, T'Pol learns how to express her love through dancing, Hoshi kicks butt in poker.


Bottom of the Third and Tied (1)

“So what’s the score?” Malcolm asked.

“For?” Trip asked back.

Their shift had just ended and the two were strolling toward their quarters.

“Between you and Sherie?”

“We’re tied.”

“For now.”

“Yeah. For now. She hasn’t done anything for over a month. Maybe she gave up.”

“What are the chances of that?”

“Slim to nothing, but I think the Cap’n would appreciate it. He was pretty steamed at me for stopping the lift.”

“He didn’t like having to walk all the way around the ship to get back up to the bridge.”

“It’s not like I shut down a main lift. I don’t think I deserved a week of KP duty for it.”

“I don’t think whether it was the main lift or not was the point, sir.”

Trip laughed.

The two men stopped at Trip’s door and Trip entered his code.

“I suppose there was more to it.” Trip said, looking at his door. It hadn’t opened yet. Trip entered his code again. The door still didn’t open. Trip tried again and still the door didn’t open.

“Problem?”

“Enter the security code.” Trip motioned to the door.

Malcolm entered the override code and the door still didn’t open. Malcolm looked at Trip.

“Guess what?” Malcolm asked.

Trip looked up. “She’s now ahead by one point.”

“Either that or we have a serious problem. I’ll go try this door.” Malcolm walked across the hall, entered the override code and the door slid open. He looked back at Trip.

“Ya wanna find out how long I’m going to be locked out of my quarters for me?” Trip asked.

Malcolm laughed, walking down the hall to a companel and calling Sherie.

“Sherie here, sir,” she replied.

“Sherie, for how long will Commander Tucker be unable to get into his quarters?”

Trip walked up to the companel.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about. You know, though, we were having glitches down there all day.”

“I hadn’t heard anything about that,” Trip said with a smile.

“I just found out about it myself actually. I suspect that the problem will be resolved, say, around twenty-two hundred hours, probably. It’s nothing serious.”

“Twenty-two hundred, huh?” Trip asked.

“That’s a guess of course.”

“Oh. Of course. I’ll bear that in mind. Thank you for you help, Ensign.”

“You’re welcome, Commander Tucker,” Sherie said.

Trip sighed, leaning back against the wall. “Ah. I didn’t want to go home any time soon anyway.”

“What do you plan on telling the Captain when he sees you still in uniform?”

“Clothes weren’t back from the cleaners yet.” Trip turned and walked away. “I have to go plot.”

“Plot, sir?”

Trip turned, walking back the direction he’d just come. “I mean plot. You know. Graphs, charts...plot.”

“OH!” Malcolm grinned. “That kind of plot. For a minute there I was confused.”

“I get that a lot. Must be bad karma.”

Malcolm grinned, walking toward his quarters.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.