Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Fork in the Road"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The prank wars heat up, T'Pol learns how to express her love through dancing, Hoshi kicks butt in poker.


Friends (8)

Two sets of laughter filled the darkened quarters as the movie played out on the view screen. The doorbell beeped, interrupting the laughter.

“Computer, pause movie,” Sista said. “Bring up lights.”

The lights came on and Sista looked at T’Pol sitting at the opposite end of the couch. She was setting a bowl of popcorn and her drink glass on the table beside her, looking as somber as usual. Sista did nothing until the doorbell beeped a second time.

“Come in,” Sista said as she rose to her feet.

Hoshi walked into the quarters, smiling. Sista returned the smile.

“I forgot to give this to you this morning.” Hoshi said, handing the PADD in her hand to Sista. “It’s the analysis you’d asked for.”

“Oh! Thank you. Get report down now and K’pan stop bugging about.” Sista smiled warmly.

Hoshi glanced at T’Pol and then the view screen that had a frozen scene of the movie on it.

“What are you two watching?”

“Oh, I was watching movie but needed to talk to T’Pol about something and paused it.”

“Mind if I join?” Hoshi looked at Sista.

“Not today. I tired.” Sista patted her stomach. “Babies kept up all night. They lonely for Malcolm too.”

Hoshi laughed. “He’ll be back the day after tomorrow.”

“I know.” Sista shrugged. “Still...”

Hoshi patted her arm. “Maybe tomorrow.”

“Yes. Tomorrow good.”

“Good night,” Hoshi bid to both Sista and T’Pol.

“Good night,” both women replied.

Hoshi left the quarters. Sista tossed the PADD on the table in front of her and sat back down.

“Why did you lie to Ensign Sato?” T’Pol asked.

“Lie?” Sista asked, looking at T’Pol.

“You told her you were going to finish movie later.”

“Better than telling her I not want her here. That hurt her feelings.” Sista situated herself into the corner and position she was in prior to the interruption.

“She could have joined us,” T’Pol said. She picked up the bowl of popcorn beside her, staring into it.

“Yes. And then you not laugh. You not eat popcorn. You not relax and enjoy movie.”

T’Pol looked at Sista. She smiled at T’Pol.

“I would have enjoyed the movie.”

“With no laughing? It funny movie.”

“I could have still enjoyed it. I have enjoyed many movies in the mess hall without a display of emotion.”

“Part fun of watching a movie with someone is when they have emotion display.” Sista smiled. “You only smile and laugh and yell when just you and me. You allow emotions when just you and me. You deny?”

T’Pol looked at the screen. “That is only because you can sense these emotions even when they are repressed and I don’t have to explain them.”

“Funny being best friends does that.” Sista offered a wide grin at T’Pol.

T’Pol looked at Sista. “Yes.”

“Watch movie?”

T’Pol nodded once.

“Computer, lights down. Play movie.”

For a few minutes there was silence and then laughter filled the quarters again.


Back to Chapter 7

The next short story is Dough Boys

The next Tweens story is Truth Versus Fiction

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.