Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Frank and Speak"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Will you be my beary valentine? T'Pol learns a secret about her boyfriend. History can be a brutal teachers. The prank wars continue. Have you seen Mr. Bubbles too?


Tucker da Vinci (2)

Trip walked down the hall, watching the scanner in his hand. He rounded a corner and slowed to a stop, staring at the upper observatory door – the only door along this corridor. He looked behind him, down the corridor ahead of him, and then entered the observatory.

Overhead, the nebula Aquiline filled the observatory view ports. A pulsar star at its center lit the gases and they glowed with vibrant colors. The colors swirled and drifted into each other, creating new colors every time they met until they dissipated into blackness at the edges. Occasionally a line of bright white laced across the nebula, contrasting sharply. The light show bathed the dim lit room with soft color.

Trip sank down onto the bench that ran along the circumference of the circular room. He closed his eyes, memorizing the nebula colors and the formations of the gas clouds.

The door opened and Trip sprang to his feet, pretending to be working on the scanner. Ensign Pierson and Hoshi walked in, both carrying bags and easels. The women’s conversation died off.

“Afternoon, ladies,” Trip greeted, smiling at them.

“Afternoon, Trip,” Hoshi greeted. “Found the power fluxuation yet?”

“Still working on it.”

“Should we leave?”

“Naw. I’m done. You’re doing paintings of the nebula today?”

“Yeah.” Hoshi smiled, looking up. “This should be a good place to start.”

“Got an assistant?”

“Something like that,” Hoshi laughed.

“Well, I’ll leave you ladies to your work.” Trip walked toward the door.

He stopped in the door when he heard wood softly hit wood. Hoshi had her easel up and was stretching a canvas on a frame. Pierson was adjusting her easel to her height. Trip looked sadly at his scanner as he walked away.

#

“Hey, Hoshi,” Trip said as he sat down in the chair next to her.

Most of the crew had gathered din the mess hall for Movie Night.

“You were almost late, sir,” Hoshi jabbed.

“Had something I had to finish. Would have driven me nuts if I didn’t.”

“I thought you were already insane, sir.”

Trip mocked laughter. He took the popcorn she passed him. Someone called his name and he turned, flashing a grin at the crewman.

“How’s the paintings coming?” Trip asked.

“Great,” Hoshi answered with hesitance.

Trip looked at her. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m teaching another ensign how to draw, and Ensign Pierson and I need pencils and other supplies. Captain Archer has been so busy this week that I hate to bother him about it.”

Trip smiled. “Art supplies coming right up.”

Hoshi smiled. “I don’t need to ask the Captain for them?”

“Naw. It’ll give me something to do.”

Hoshi laughed. “Yeah. Like you don’t have anything to do.”

“Never. Bored all day,” Trip joked.

“I’ll put together a list for you. Do you need to know what everything’s made out of?”

“I don’t need a list. I’ll just put a bunch of stuff in and you tell me if I missed something.”

“Well...” Hoshi hesitated.

“Well what?”

“I just really want to make sure everything is the right kind, texture and all.”

“What? You don’t trust me?”

The lights dimmed and the movie started.

Hoshi smiled. “I trust you.”

“Tell me if it’s not like you want it and I’ll fix it. It can’t be that hard to figure out.”

Hoshi started to comment, but decided not to press. She knew he’d fix it right away if the supplies weren’t satisfactory.

“Thank you, sir.”

“No problem. Sh.”

Hoshi smiled, looking up at the screen.

#

T’Pol stopped outside Trip’s quarters and pressed the doorbell. The door slid open after a few minutes and she stepped in. Trip quickly sat his feet up on his desk, lacing his fingers behind his head in an attempt to look relaxed and not so guilty. She wondered what he had been doing before she’d entered.

“Hey, T’Pol,” Trip said, smiling.

“You requested to know if we had these materials on board.” T’Pol handed him a PADD.

Trip took it from her, looking it over. “We have everything?”

“Yes, Commander.”

“Great. Thanks, T’Pol.”

“May I inquire what this is for?”

“I had a request to add some items to the resequencer database. It’s just easier if I have the raw materials to record from.”

“If I’m not mistaken, these materials are used to produce graphite.”

“Yeah.”

“Who aboard needs graphite?”

“Hoshi. She’s teaching Ensign Pierson how to draw, and needs paint and art supplies.”

T’Pol nodded but didn’t leave. Trip looked at her.

“What?” Trip asked her

“There is more.”

“No. There’s not.”

“You have been compiling lists of supplies for several days now.” T’Pol motioned to the PADD in Trip’s hand. “More supplies than what Ensign Sato could possibly need to teach Ensign Pierson how to draw and paint. Therefore, there must be more to your explanation than what you’re telling me.”

“You ever draw or paint, T’Pol?”

“No.”

“Then how do you know this is too much?” Trip waved the PADD at her.

“Do you paint or draw?”

“No!” Trip retorted, as if she’d just asked the most ridiculous question possible.

“Then how do you know for certain that they will ever need all these supplies?”

“Ya ever stop to think that Hoshi may not be the only artist on board?”

“Have other crewmen requested art supplies?”

“No, but maybe they don’t feel comfortable asking. Look, if you think this is wrong, then take it up with Captain Archer.”

“I do not think providing the supplies is wrong, however, I think you are not telling me the entire reason you are adding so many and, furthermore, your interest in completing this task is not based on Ensign Sato’s request for supplies.”

Trip rose, facing her. “So what you’re saying is you think I’m lying to you?”

“And you do not do it very well, either.” T’Pol turned on her heel and left.

Trip mimicked her when the door closed.

#

T’Pol walked down the hall with an imaging device in hand. She turned the corner and approached the observatory door, stopping to tap the door control. She walked in, watching Trip practically fall over himself as he stood. He smiled awkwardly, holding something behind his back.

“I did not mean to disturb you,” T’Pol said, turning to leave.

“You didn’t. My break’s over and I was just leaving,” Trip said.

From behind his back came a torn piece of paper and pencil that he hastily pocketed.

“What were you working on?”

“Some figures.”

“Wouldn’t using a terminal be more efficient?”

“Yeah, but if a problem’s really stumped me I can sometimes find the answer if I work it out long hand.”

T’Pol held her hand out. “Let me review your work. A new view may help you solve the mathematical problem.”

“I’d rather work it out on my own. Thanks.”

T’Pol dropped her hand.

“What are the figures for?”

“A calibration. See you at supper, T’Pol.”

Trip walked out. T’Pol hesitated. What was Trip hiding? And why? She turned to start recording the nebula with the imaging device.

#

T’Pol listened to Trip and Archer’s chatter, her eyes on her plate. All day she had been watching and waiting for an optimal time to interrogate Trip about his deceit and suspicious behavior, and considering how she should go about asking.

Archer turned his attention to T’Pol, asking, “Were you able to capture the images of the nebula from the observatory?”

T’Pol looked up. “Yes.”

“How do they look?”

“They will be sufficient. Tomorrow Ensign Mayweather and I will take a shuttle pod out to collect data. Once that is complete, we will be finished here.”

“So soon?” Trip asked plaintively.

Archer and T’Pol both looked at him.

“The crew seems to be enjoying it,” Trip commented. He stuffed a bite of corn in his mouth, keeping his eyes on his plate.

T’Pol’s eyes narrowed slightly. Did Captain Archer notice Trip’s illusive behavior just now?

“They have been. You should see the paintings Ensign Pierson did.” Archer smiled. “She’s almost better than Hoshi, but don’t tell Hoshi I said that. But then, she has about eight years up on Hoshi in practice too.”

T’Pol looked at Trip. The time had come.

“Ensign Pierson knows how to paint,” she stated pointedly.

Archer looked up to reply and hesitated. T’Pol was calm, but he could see that she was after Trip about something. Trip looked up at her, his gaze hardening into a glare.

“She’s painted since she was ten, she told me,” Archer added.

“I was under the impression she was learning to draw, Commander,” T’Pol stated to Trip.

“I guess she knows how to paint and not draw.”

“Do not most painter learn to draw before they paint?”

Archer looked from one to the other, feeling the tension rising fast. Since they’d begun dating he lost count of how many times he’d felt obligated to referee their squabbles – not that either had ever actually asked him to. Sometimes he felt they fought more now they were dating than they ever did before.

“What are you getting at?” Trip demanded.

“You said you were programming the resequencer to replicate drawing pencils and art supplies so Ensign Sato could teach Ensign Pierson how to draw.”

“They both know how to draw,” Archer threw in, hoping it would somehow end the feud. “They’ve both done several of the drawings we’ve sent to Starfleet, but they needed the supplies to complete the nebula drawings.”

“Then Ensign Pierson has no need to learn to draw,” T’Pol commented, undeterred from her attack on Trip for lying to her and using the new information to fuel it.

“If you’re going to say something, T’Pol, just say it! Or is this another Vulcan double standard?”

“Say what, Commander?” T’Pol asked

“Whatever it is you’re not saying!”

“You told me that you needed the inventory list so you could program the resequencer to replicate drawing pencils for Ensign Sato who was teaching Ensign Pierson to draw. Clearly Ensign Sato does not need pencils and Ensign Pierson does not need to learn to draw.”

Regardless, Hoshi said she was teaching someone to draw. Maybe I just misunderstood. I don’t know why is this such a big deal to you, T’Pol!” Trip stabbed a forkful of salad.

“Perhaps you have another reason for adding all those supplies to the database.”

Trip threw his fork down. “Captain, she just called me a saboteur!”

Archer sighed. He wiped his mouth, tossing his napkin onto his half-finished supper. “You two should put up a boxing ring, put on some boxing gloves, knock each other unconscious, and get this out of your systems. I am not getting involved with this tonight, period, but here is what I will tell you both... T’Pol, while I don’t understand why Trip added so many art supplies to the database, that is all he added, and I don’t understand why that upsets you. And Trip, she didn’t call you a saboteur. She doesn’t understand why you added so many supplies to the database or why you said Ensign Pierson was taking lessons from Hoshi. Enjoy your fight, you two, and good night.” Archer left.

Trip followed him out.

T’Pol continued eating her meal. Briefly she contemplated Archer’s suggestion but quickly dismissed it. She decided to try another method to get to the bottom of this.

#

Hoshi watched T’Pol walk into the mess hall and head straight for her table.

“Ensign Sato,” T’Pol addressed her, stopping beside the table.

“Sub-commander,” Hoshi replied.

“Ensign Sato, did you or Ensign Pierson request Commander Tucker to program the resequencer to produce drawing pencils?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Hoshi said.

T’Pol’s eyebrow raised. “You did?”

“Yes.”

“For what reason?”

“Ensign Talbot needs drawing pencils to learn how to draw,” Hoshi answered.

“You do not have enough?”

Hoshi smiled. “You haven’t drawn before, have you?”

“Not beyond technical drawings.”

“You go through pencils fast when you draw because of all the shading. Ensign Talbot needed her own set, I was running low on my supply and Ensign Pierson needed layout pencils, paint and brushes. We were running low on paper and canvas, too. So I figured it was a good time to request that the supplies be added to the database.”

“Why did you not bring the request to the Captain?”

Hoshi shrugged. “I had mentioned needing the supplies during a movie night and Commander Tucker said he’d be happy to take care of it. He assured me I didn’t need to talk to the Captain about it. You know, he was asking all these same questions this morning at breakfast. Is there something wrong with my request? Should I have asked Captain Archer, instead?”

“No, Ensign. There is not a problem with your request. Was Commander Tucker able to produce art supplies to your satisfaction?”

“Yes,” Hoshi smiled. “They’re just like the real thing. He also took the liberty of adding a lot of other supplies that should come in handy later.”

“That was thoughtful of him. Thank you for your time, Ensign. Good afternoon.”

“Good afternoon, ma’am,” Hoshi replied.

T’Pol turned and left the mess hall.

#

“I owe you an apology.”

Trip looked over his shoulder at T’Pol. He turned back to tightening the bolt. Trip gathered his tools and walked around the engine. T’Pol followed.

“I was wrong, Trip,” she continued. “I made an error in analyzing the data presented and accused you of deceiving me when clearly you did not and were thinking of what Ensigns Sato and Pierson may require later on. I also have discovered there are five other crewmen on board who are artists and they use a variety of mediums. They have expressed gratitude that you added the additional supplies for their work. Clearly you were being courteous by thinking what others of the crew would want, and I neglected to see that.”

“Lieutenant,” Trip called, stopping a man as he passed. Trip took the PADD in the man’s hand and looked it over. “So you’re about done?”

The crewman nodded.

“Good. Now check the back vents. It’ll probably take you to the end of your shift, so I’ll see you tomorrow, alright, Jess?”

“Yes, sir,” Jess replied, walking away.

Trip headed to the front of engineering, T’Pol shadowing him.

“Charles, I am attempting to apologize for accusing you of lying to me,” T’Pol said.

Trip put the box of tools away and turned, putting his hands on his hips. He stared down at T’Pol for a long moment.

“My quarters. Tonight. Twenty hundred hours. We’ll talk about this then. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m really busy.”

Trip walked around T’Pol toward a man and woman standing around a monitor. T’Pol left, guessing he wanted to express his disapproval of her accusation in private. She respected him for that, as it would have been unprofessional to do so around the other crewmen. She was prepared to deal with him reprimanding her for her accusations.

#

Trip was dressed in a pair of paint-encrusted sweats and nothing else. He held a drawing in each hand, looking from one to the other. Several more drawings were spread across his desk. Trip twisted his lips as he considered the drawings.

In the alcove by the viewport, an easel was set up with an empty canvas sitting on it. The two lights in the alcove had been positioned so they shined directly on the empty canvas.

He didn’t look back when the doorbell beeped.

“Come in,” Trip said.

The person entered and stopped.

“I am here as you requested,” T’Pol stated.

Trip looked back at her. She stood just inside the door, hands held behind her back.

“I really thought Hoshi was teaching Ensign Pierson. So I talked to her this morning and found out I’d misunderstood. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, too, hon.”

Trip looked back at the drawings.

“Perhaps if you--”

Trip interrupted her. “Which of these do you like the best?”

T’Pol walked up next to him, staring at the drawings. Every element in the subjects they represented was captured in great detail. There were alien cities as seen from the view screen or a shuttle pod. There was a sketch of the nebula from the upper observatory room and one of her sitting in the mess hall in front of a viewport with the nebula filling the ports behind her.

“Not really Leonardo da Vinci, are they?” Trip joked.

“I am unfamiliar with this name.”

“He was a sixteenth century painter.”

“Whoever drew these is quite skilled. Was it Ensign Sato or Pierson?” She looked up at Trip.

Trip smiled, blushing a deep crimson. He sat the drawings down very carefully so he wouldn’t smudge the graphite. It was an action only the artist, proud of his masterpiece, would do, and T’Pol suddenly made the connection.

You drew these?”

“You have to swear to me you won’t tell anyone, T’Pol.” Trip looked at her. “My mom and a friend back on Earth are the only two that even know I draw and paint. Please swear to me you won’t tell anyone. I’d... I’d be really embarrassed about it.”

“I will not reveal your hobby to anyone, but why did you lie to me about your motive for adding the supplies, Charles? Do you not trust I would keep your secret?”

“No. It’s not that. I just... I’ve gotten so used to hiding it that I just reacted like I always do. I’m really not that good, not like Hoshi.”

“It is a shame you don’t have more confidence in your skill.” T’Pol looked back at the drawings.

Offended, he started, “Look, if you’re going to--”

“You are skilled as much or better than Hoshi, Charles. You do not see it, but I do. This also explains to me why your technical drawings are so accurate and complete. I’ve often wondered how it was you could draw them better than most engineers I know.”

Trip clamped his mouth shut, looking back at the drawings. “You think... These are good?”

T’Pol looked up at him. He was staring at the drawings. T’Pol moved close to him, sliding an arm around him. He looked into her eyes.

“Would you do me a favor, Trip?”

“Yeah. What?”

“Complete a painting for me.”

He beamed. “Really?”

She nodded.

“Of what?”

T’Pol picked up the drawing of the nebula from the observatory and handed it to him.

“I expect the colors to be an accurate depiction of the nebula. Would you like me give you images so you have references?”

Trip smiled. “Yeah. That would help.”

“I will transmit them as soon as I return to my quarters tonight. Good night, Charles.”

Trip caught her hand and she turned as he pulled her back to him. With a hand gently brushing along her cheek, he kissed her. She relaxed into his hold, willingly giving into him.

#

T’Pol nodded to two passing crewmen as she walked around the bend to her quarters. She stopped, staring at the painting resting against her door. A red bow was attached to the top right corner, holding a piece of paper to the simple wood frame. T’Pol picked it up and entered her quarters. She pulled off the bow and note, folding open the note with one hand. Handwritten in pencil was: The colors are little off. The real colors weren’t looking right. I’ll do it again if you want me to.

T’Pol walked under a light, holding the painting at an angle. Trip was right, the colors were a little off, but the painting was still stunning. He had used oil paints and the light brought out every vibrant fleck of color when she tilted it even slightly. T’Pol looked around her quarters. She walked over to a wall and held it up. She sat the painting down and left her quarters, returning shortly. She affixed a hook on the wall and hung the painting. T’Pol stepped back, intrigued at how intricate Trip’s detail was given his medium of choice. This secret gave her more insight into her Trip than many of his other little quirks ever did.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.