Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Hado Venceres Tradición"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip thought the hardest thing he'd have to do was ask T'Pol to marry him. He was dead wrong. -- This is the final story of my series Author’s Note: This was written before we learned T’Pol’s father was dead and her mother was killed.


CHAPTER 3

Trip walked through the quiet hall to the door at the end. He pressed the button with a grin and stepped in. He looked around the wide room, spotting T’Pol sitting on the couch.

“I think I could like this place, baby.”

T’Pol watched him walk down the steps. He leaned over, kissed her cheek and then sat down to pull his boots off.

“Where’s Amy?”

“Lieutenant Sato took her to dinner and then to the movie.”

“I thought the three of us were going to the movie tonight.”

T’Pol didn’t answer.

“Doesn’t matter. It’ll be nice to have a quiet night. Maybe you can get a nap since you haven’t slept for three days; which I don’t believe is healthy no matter what you tell me, baby. You know, I swear that engine knows when I’m not here and when to misbehave. There was so much wrong! And then I kept getting the old ball and chain jokes.” Trip looked up at T’Pol, “Good thing I don’t care, huh?”

“Yes,” T’Pol answered, looking down at the pillow she was holding.

Trip tossed his boots aside and leaned over, kissing her lips. He pulled back when she didn’t kiss him.

“Something’s’ buggin’ you. What I do?”

“You did nothing, Commander.”

Trip unzipped the front of his uniform and turned sideways, reclining against the couch back.

“The only time you call me Commander is when it’s serious.”

T’Pol didn’t speak right away. Trip reached out, taking her hand. She pulled it away, hugging the pillow in her arms.

“Baby, what is it? This isn’t like you.”

With a heavy sigh T’Pol began, “I haven’t slept for more than three days, Charles, and it is because I have been worrying about an issue I must tell you now that you are my husband. When I was in the Ministry of Security I was chasing an operative. He ran into three Klingons and to them all Vulcans are plotting against them, so they attacked both of us. One was very strong and I was having a hard time incapacitating him. He swung his knife to disembowel me and I jumped. The knife cut me deep, but lower.”

“How much lower?”

“The strike was meant to disembowel me.” T’Pol looked up at Trip. “It cut me from hip to hip, and severed my fallopian tubes. I was rushed to medical care, but the only option the doctor had was to finish the cut.”

“Your tubes are tied?”

“Crudely termed, yes,” T’Pol whispered.

Trip looked down.

“I will understand if you desire to nullify our marriage because of this.” T’Pol looked at the pillow in her hands.

Trip’s head yanked up, his eyes meeting T’Pol’s.

“Look, I know I’ve gone on about wanting kids since you met me, but just because you can’t have kids doesn’t mean I’m going to get rid of you.” Trip rested his hand on the back of her neck. “Baby, I love you. So we can’t have any of our own kids. That’s okay. There are other ways around that. When we’re ready, we’ll look into it, but I sure as hell am not going to abandon you just because you can’t have kids.”

T’Pol pushed the pillow off her lap and climbed into Trip’s lap, wrapping her arms around his neck. Trip held her tight. He caught his breath when he felt tears soak through to his shoulder.

“Baby?” Trip whispered.

“The man I was to marry found out before I went to Earth,” T’Pol whispered. “He tried to annul the arrangement because I could not provide him children, but it was overridden. I can’t have your children, Charles.”

Trip smiled, kissing her temple. “It’s okay. I don’t love you any less.”

T’Pol’s grip tightened for a moment and then relaxed. Trip sat for several minutes before he realized she’d fallen asleep. He stood with her and carried her to their bedroom. Trip pulled the covers back and laid her down. He pulled her boots off and covered her. Trip changed his clothes and went in search of Archer.

#

The two sat in silence, both men staring at the stars through the A deck observatory windows.

“Wow,” Archer finally said.

“Yeah,” Trip said.

“You are upset, aren’t you?”

“I’m disappointed she can’t have my kids, but I’m not upset at her about it. What upsets me is she didn’t tell me before.”

“Maybe she didn’t expect you to propose to her or to be married so fast.”

“I guess.” Trip looked at Archer. “I just wish she had trusted me.”

“Trip, she’s a Vulcan that cried on your shoulder and climbed into your lap. If that’s not trust, what is?”

Trip sat back on the bench, resting his arms across the back. “Yeah. I guess I shouldn’t trivialize the situation.”

“Some of the my friends that have gotten married have told me that marriage is a rocky road full of blind corners and unexpected detours. Probably more for you two since you’re human and she’s Vulcan. Just be sure to look at what she gives you before you judge what she hasn’t. Having an irrational, oversensitive, emotional human in her life every day from now on is probably going to test every teaching she’s ever learned. And when you two get around to wanting children, tell me. I know some people who adopted back home. They’d be glad to help.”

“You think we’re only going to adopt human kids!”

Archer laughed. “And he makes a step down the rocky road.”

“Mm. One step for the husband. I’m starved. Have you eaten?”

“Nope.”

“Let’s grab a bite and go to the movie. I can take Amy off Hoshi’s hands.”

The two stood and walked out of the room.

“She hadn’t slept for three days?” Archer asked.

“Nope.”

“Be sure to take her something to eat.”

“I will, Cap’n.”

Archer smiled. “How did I ever get myself into this mess?”

The two stopped at the lift.

“I don’t know, Jon, but I’m glad you’re here. Thanks.” Trip held his hand out to Archer.

Archer shook his hand. “Sometimes being your best friend is as bad as being married to you.” The lift door opened. “Get on the lift and don’t even make a come back.”

Trip laughed, getting on.

#

Three Weeks Later

The companel on Archer’s desk beeped and he tapped it.

“Archer.”

“Captain, Admiral Garner is requesting to speak to you,” Hoshi said over the companel.

“Put him through.”

Archer turned to his monitor and tapped the control. Admiral Garner appeared and Archer could tell he was upset about something.

“Admiral.”

“Good morning, Jon. How are things going?”

“Smooth sailing so far. We just docked at Q’Nor and are getting some much needed repairs done.”

“That barter was a stroke of luck. How are your newlyweds doing?”

Archer wanted to come right out and ask Garner what he’d contacted him for, but decided he’d let Garner get to it in his time. “They’re doing well, sir. They’re happy.”

“That’s good to hear.” Garner looked down. “I remember my first few weeks of marriage. Amanda burnt every meal for two weeks. I thought I’d mistaken her for someone else because she’d been an excellent cook before we married. I learned to be humble; she got her cooking skills back. It worked out.”

Archer smiled. “I guess I have a lot to look forward, sir.”

Garner nodded, looking at Archer. “Yes. A lot. Including meeting the in-laws.”

Archer’s smile wilted. “Trip or T’Pol’s parents, sir?”

“Sub-Commander T’Pol’s. They will be docking tonight and expect to meet with their daughter in the morning.”

“I have no means of contacting them, sir. They went planet side for a recreation day and aren’t going get back until late tonight.”

“Better find a way, Captain, because you’ll have three Vulcan’s standing outside your quarters at oh-seven-hundred.”

“I’ll…do what I can.”

“Jon,” Admiral Garner leaned forward, “I want you to pass on a piece of advice to that new husband. This is experience talking. I know what a hothead Charles ca be, Jon, but you remind that Chief Engineer of yours that, Vulcan or not, his wife is their little girl. Mine was when I married her off and she still is two grandchildren later. Remind him that honey changes minds better than vinegar.”

Archer smiled, nodding. “I’ll talk to him. Best friend to best friend.”

“I hope things go well.” End transmission appeared on the screen.

Archer’s smile drooped into a scowl. “Computer.” The computer beeped. “Personal log. Begin. Reminder to self: never, ever, ever, get married. End log.” Archer waited for the computer to beep and then tapped the companel. “Hoshi.”

“Yes, Captain?”

“Try to locate Trip or T’Pol. Tell them it’s urgent.”

“Sir, they went on a hike with several other crewmen. They’re not scheduled to return until twenty-two hundred hours and no one took a communicator.”

“See what you can do, Hoshi.”

“Is there a problem?”

“A big one. Find them. Archer out.”

Archer tapped the companel again and turned back to his work. He had to keep his mind off of Trip and T’Pol’s new marital woes.

#

Trip trotted down the stairs to a chair. He fell into it and hastily pulled his boots on. T’Pol came out of the bedroom, walking down the stairs. She had a PADD in her hand and was reviewing her daily schedule. Amy raced past her, down the stairs and sat down on Trip’s lap. She held up a barrette and hairbrush. Trip took both and started brushing her hair to pull it back in the barrette.

“Please?” Amy asked.

“How’s the Amster this morning?” Trip asked her.

“Good. How’s the Tripster?”

“Great.”

Amy giggled.

“Is everything ready, T’Pol?” Trip asked.

“Yes.” T’Pol stopped beside his chair, waiting for him to finish Amy’s hair.

Trip sat the brush on the arm of the chair and kissed Amy’s cheek as he stood up. She slid off onto the floor. Trip grabbed T’Pol’s hand and lifted their joined hands over Amy’s head. She sat down on the edge of the chair, watching the two walk into a curtained area with long, linen curtains hanging from the ceiling to the floor. It had been put up recently to isolate T’Pol’s meditation pillow and table. Amy smiled, watching the two kneel down beside the table.

Trip glanced at the table as he knelt down. A small black pot sat on a small hot plate. There were two cups and a small wooden scoop. Set out in front of the cups were three bowls with powder in them. T’Pol retrieved a lighter and lit the large candle in the center of the table, turning to Trip.

Their doorbell beeped.

Trip looked up, waiting. It beeped again.

“I’ll get it,” Amy said.

“Thank you, honey. Tell ‘em we’ll be right there.”

“Okay.”

Trip turned to T’Pol, smiling.

“Are you certain you wish to continue?” T’Pol asked him.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

T’Pol glanced out into the living area, lowering her voice, “There is more than one person.”

Trip leaned toward her. “Positive. Proceed, baby.”

T’Pol turned at the waist and picked up a cup. With the scoop she added one scoop of each powder. She poured water into the cup and with the scoop mixed the powders. T’Pol laid the scoop down and held the cup before Trip’s lips. Trip laid his hands on hers, keeping his eyes on hers while he drank it. T’Pol sat the cup down. Trip followed the same procedure and smiled when T’Pol met his gaze. He sat the empty cup down and faced her again. Trip reached out, laying his hand on her chest. T’Pol covered his hand and laid her opposite hand on his chest. Trip covered her hand with his free hand. The two bowed their heads for a moment and then looked at each other. T’Pol started to pull her hand away. Trip reached out both hands, cupped her jaw in his hands and pulled her into a kiss. He smiled when he pulled away and saw a faint smile flutter across her lips.

“That is not part of the ritual,” T’Pol informed him.

“A Vulcan ritual with human flair,” Trip explained. “My wife isn’t leaving without a kiss for a good day.” Trip stood, holding his hand out to T’Pol.

She took his hand and used his support to get to her feet. Trip laced his fingers around hers, turning to leave the meditation area. The two stepped through the curtains and froze.

Archer and Hoshi stood beside three Vulcans. A male and female Vulcan with slightly graying hair, and a younger male Vulcan that looked a lot like T’Pol. Amy stood between them and Trip and T’Pol in a defensive stance. She ran over to T’Pol, taking her hand.

“Cap’n?” Trip asked.

“Father. Mother. Brother,” T’Pol said, pulling her hand free from Amy and walking up to the three Vulcans.

Trip looked at her, the Vulcans and Archer. Archer shook his head, signaling Trip to stay silent.

“Daughter,” T’Pol’s father said, “We have come to perform the ar’tef.”

T’Pol looked at each of them. “Father, that is not customary.”

“It is for any married couple.”

T’Pol looked down.

Trip walked up. Archer shot him a warning look.

“Honey, what’s the ar’tef?”

“It is a ritual that is performed for newlyweds by the wife’s parents,” T’Pol’s mother answered, “It help to establish the relationship between two newlyweds.”

“We have a well established relationship, thank you very much.”

“The ritual is also not performed on Vulcan’s that have shamed the family and have been estranged,” T’Pol added.

Trip looked at her and then her parents. “If it’s not performed on Vulcan’s who have shamed their families and been estranged, why do you three want to perform it? You told us you never wanted to see T’Pol again unless she annulled our marriage, remember?”

“Trip,” Archer said.

“I have a right to know what the hell is going on, Captain! They’re the ones that didn’t want anything to do with us. Not the other way around.”

“We have reversed our decision,” T’Pol’s father said. “We never filed the documents to make our decision official. T’Pol is still a part of our family, and it is a family tradition.”

“So you come waltzing in here and expect—”

“Husband.” T’Pol looked at Trip.

Trip looked at her. “But, they—”

“Husband.”

Trip looked hurt and angry. He looked at the Vulcans and then T’Pol and back.

“I gotta get to work anyway. Just…tell me what you need me to do, T’Pol.”

“I will.”

Trip reached out, laying his hand on T’Pol’s back. He leaned down to her kiss her lips, but at the last minute rested his forehead against hers. He reached up a half fist and gently brushed the backs of his fingers down her cheek.

“Da ishil,” T’Pol said.

“Da ishil, wife,” Trip repeated.

Amy grabbed T’Pol’s hand, tugging on it. T’Pol crouched down and accepted Amy’s hug and kiss on the cheek.

“You will do well on your exams today, Amy.”

Amy smiled, nodding. Trip took Amy’s hand and led her out, but he didn’t hide his huff.

T’Pol looked at Archer as she stood again. “We will need to discuss arrangements.”

“Sure.”

“No, Captain, my parents, brother and I will need to discuss arrangements.”

“Oh. Sorry. Will you be staying on Enterprise during this…” Archer looked at T’Pol.

“Ar’tef.”

“Ar’tef?” Archer asked her parents.

“We will,” her father answered.

“I’ll make arrangements to—”

“They will stay in our quarters, Captain,” T’Pol said.

Archer looked at T’Pol with open surprise. She returned his gaze with a steady one, devoid of any hint of what she was feeling.

“Okay. Should I have beds sent?”

“Three singles.”

“Singles?”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Alright. Two in the spare and one in Amy’s room?”

“Yes.”

Archer turned to her parents. “It was nice to meet the three of you.”

Archer walked away without waiting for a reply that didn’t come. Hoshi followed him and Archer waited until they were on the lift to talk.

“What is ar’tef?”

“The ritual of separation.”

“What happens during it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Go on to the bridge without me, Hoshi. I need to corner Trip and talk to him.”

“You may want to have Doctor Phlox give him a light sedative, sir. He looked pretty angry.”

“And the scary thing is, Hoshi, that was just the tip of his anger. I know he’s bottling it up because she asked him to.”

Hoshi shrugged, looking at Archer, “That’s a plus.”

Archer shot her a ridiculous look. “A plus?”

Hoshi smiled. “He respects her enough to hide how angry he really is for her.”

Archer smiled, but said nothing. The lift stopped and he walked off.

#

“Trip…you have to.”

Archer watched Trip pace the empty loading bay from his seat on the staircase.

“Why? Why do I have to? I mean…they were the ones that ostracized her! They threatened to have her confined if she returned to Vulcan. They didn’t want anything to do with her, or me, or us.”

“And neither did your parents when they found out, if I recall. But wouldn’t you ask her to be calm and try to keep the waves down if the roles were reversed?”

“It’s not the same!”

“Isn’t it?”

“No. I mean…I got a letter from my dad yesterday, before we left for the planet, and he and mom want us to send them a picture of us. He told me they’re still upset, but they aren’t angry any more. They calmed down. But they aren’t asking us to perform some stupid ritual!”

“If the roles were reversed, Trip.”

“BUT THEY AREN’T!”

“You’re right. You’re the hotheaded one. She’s the down to earth, logical one. No shut up and put your mind in T’Pol’s place, Trip.”

Trip stopped, looking at Archer. He walked over and sat down next to Archer, heaving a sigh.

“She’s not like ‘em, Jon. T’Pol’s not like all the other Vulcans. She has emotions. She shows them when it’s only her and me. She loves me and she shows it when the door is shut. Her parents don’t know that, Jon. They don’t understand what she’s really like. They don’t know her.”

Archer smiled, looking at Trip. “Even humans have that problem, Trip. It’s not just T’Pol. Look at Malcolm, for example. His parents, even now, know nothing about him. But we do. You do. Vardee does. This isn’t any different, Trip. The only difference is she’s a different race with alien customs and traditions. If you love T’Pol—really, really love her—then you’ve gotta bend some. Try to keep this smooth. I can imagine how hard this is but they are her family and she’s their one and only little girl. One day she, or you, may need them. This is the only way to know for sure they’ll be there, okay?”

Trip nodded.

“Meanwhile…you’ve been kicked out of your quarters for today and tomorrow I was informed on my way have.”

“Why?”

“Part of the tradition. So, you can have my quarters for now.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Okay. You can sleep on Malcolm and Vardee’s couch.”

Trip laughed. “On second thought.”

“That’s what I thought. Get back to work and try to keep the boat steady, okay?”

Trip frowned. “I’ll promise to try, Jon.”

Archer left the loading bay.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.