Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'd Rather Be..."
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Hoshi finally gets to meet her pen pal, the girls get toasted after a bad day, Archer and Trip go sand surfing, and Malcolm receives a call from his father.


Fatherhood (2)

Archer glanced up when the lift door opened and watched Malcolm walk out. He looked back at Hoshi to continue speaking but stopped and looked back at Malcolm. Malcolm crossed the bridge to his station and stumbled into his chair, muttering something inaudible when he spilled coffee from his mug on himself.

“Just a minute,” Archer said to Hoshi.

Archer walked over to Malcolm and leaned on the railing. He watched Malcolm yawn and dry his watery eyes before speaking.

“Good morning, Malcolm,” Archer said.

“M’nin’, sir,” Malcolm muttered. He began running system checks and reviewing the night shift’s reports.

“Malcolm.”

“Hm?” Malcolm looked at Archer.

Archer stared at Malcolm’s face. There were large, dark circles under Malcolm’s eyes indicating he hadn’t slept in several days. As lethargic as he was moving, Archer suspected Malcolm would fall asleep right now if he sat for very long.

“Are you feeling okay?” Archer asked.

“Mm-hm.”

“Are you sure?”

“Mm-hm,” Malcolm shook his head.

“Yes and no. Which is it?”

Malcolm looked away, apparently thinking. “I dunno, sir.”

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yes.”

“You look like hell. What happened last night?”

Malcolm looked at Archer. “Last night?”

“Malcolm, when was the last time you slept?”

“A full night’s sleep, sir?”

“Yes.”

“A month, two weeks, four days, nine hours and twenty-seven minutes ago. Why?”

“Malcolm, I’m serious. When did you get sleep last?”

“Sir, I haven’t gotten a full nights sleep for months. And now Jon has colic, Kasbra has an ear infection, my wife is having some problem, and I’ve been up with them all crying for the last four days. So I am being serious, sir.”

Archer lowered his voice, “Doctor Phlox called it postpartum depression.”

“The name really isn’t important, now is it, sir?”

Archer smiled. “Are you sure you’ll be fine today?”

Malcolm looked around the bridge for a minute. He focused on Archer. “No, sir. But should I fall asleep yell loudly and I’ll get right back to work.”

“Perhaps today would be a good sick day.”

“I’m not sick.”

“No, but you may as well be. Go home. Sleep.”

“Sleep, sir?”

“Yes.”

“Did I mention that Jon Na—”

“Yes, you’ve mentioned the chaos in your quarters. Tell ya what, go crash in my quarters. Just get some sleep, Malcolm. You look awful.”

“You won’t mind?”

“No. But I might mind if you pressed the little red button instead of the little green button and blew up some alien I’m having a friendly chat with.”

Malcolm smiled a little. “The first real sleep in days. You are truly a caring captain.”

“Uh-huh. Go. Before I start hearing sappy music in the background.”

Malcolm rose and went back to the lift. Archer reached over the railing and touched the companel.

“Archer to the Armory.”

“Go ahead, sir,” a voice answered.

“Send someone up here to man weapons. Lieutenant Reed is out sick today.”

The crewman chuckled. “Yes, sir. Right away.”

“Is there a problem?” Archer asked.

“Jon Nathan has col—”

“Yes. I know. I’ve already been told about life in the Reed quarters today. Send someone up. Archer out.”

Archer turned and walked back to Hoshi. She grinned, reaching over and tapping the console beside her. A slow, sad, sappy love song started playing through the bridge communications. Hoshi rested her elbows on the railing and her chin in her hands.

“You know there’s nothing kept secret on the bridge, right?” Hoshi said.

Archer nodded. “I should have seen that one from a mile away.”

Hoshi shrugged her eyebrows.

Archer continued talking over the music.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.