Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"I'm a Believer"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: In this chapter of the tweens the prank war continues, Porthos charms aliens and goes for a mud bath, and Trip administers his special brand of first aid.


Dunce Lesson (6)

The galley was a whirl of food, scents and bodies. Brila turned and caught sight of Sherie sneaking past. She turned and looked the other way, pretending not to notice.

Sherie snuck over to the three plates that were sitting on a counter, two with hamburgers and one with fresh vegetables. She reached in her pocket and pulled out a bottle of cayenne pepper and then removed the bun and patty off one of the hamburgers. She sprinkled cayenne on the patty and put the hamburger back together. Sherie crouched down, waiting for Ensign Frye to pick up the plates to take into the captain’s dining room. She saw him set the spoon in his hand down and start her direction. Sherie waited for him to pick up the plates and stood, grabbing his arm. Ensign Frye looked surprised to see her.

“This one,” she pointed to the hamburger in his right hand, “Is specially seasoned for the Commander. You make sure he gets it and not the captain, got it John?”

“I didn’t season them specially for either of them.”

“I know you didn’t. I did.”

Ensign Frye looked up at the ceiling. “If you get me in trouble Sherie I swear I will kick your ass into tomorrow.”

“You’re in a hurry. Get going,” Sherie said.

Ensign Frye shot her a glare and hurried toward the entrance into the dining room. Sherie quickly hurried out of the galley before Chef spotted her and sat down at a table with her roommate, Hoshi and Doctor Phlox.

“Get lost on the way to the bathroom?” Amanda asked her.

“Something like that,” Sherie said, looking at the door in the mess hall that led into the captain’s dining room.

#

“...and she thought it was the most amazing thing she’d ever seen,” Archer finished, leaning back to let Ensign Frye set his plate down in front of him.

The man sat Trip’s plate down, hesitating for a second. Only T’Pol noticed the hesitance and watched him leave with suspicion. He returned with her plate and left. T’Pol looked back at Trip’s plate and then at his face. He was listening to Archer’s story with undivided attention as he prepared his hamburger. T’Pol folded her hands on the table and waited and watched.

Trip lifted the hamburger up and took a bite out. T’Pol’s eyebrow lifted. Trip suddenly covered his mouth, then grabbed for his water.

“What’s wrong?” Archer asked.

“Ho--” Trip cleared his throat. “HOT!”

“Oven hot?”

“NO!” Trip jumped up and ran out into the mess hall.

Archer looked at T’Pol. She calmly returned his gaze.

“I imagine Trip’s meal was specially prepared for him by Ensign Fields. It was her turn at this game of pranks.”

Archer shook his head.

#

Trip ran to the resequencer, grabbed a glass and ordered cold milk. He inhaled the first glass and ordered another. He started drink the second much slower, turning. His eyes immediately found Sherie’s. She was watching him with a grin. Trip finished the glass and ordered a third. He took it and walked around to the galley counter.

“Hey Chef,” Trip called.

Chef walked over to him. “Yeah.”

“Can I get another hamburger? Mine was, uhm, a little warm for me.”

Chef’s brow furrowed.

“Right away, sir,” Ensign Frye replied from the back.

“Thanks, John.” Trip turned and returned to the dining room. He sat down, finishing off the glass of milk in his hand. “You were saying?” Trip looked at Archer.

“Trip, this is really--”

“Most unfortunate,” Trip finished. “Someone must have ordered it and they got it mixed up.”

“Trip, this is really--”

“Wouldn’t you say?” Trip looked at T’Pol.

“Perhaps that is so,” T’Pol said.

Archer was staring at Trip when he looked back at him.

“Can I finish?” Archer asked.

“Sure.”

“This is really childish.”

“What is?”

“This war you two are at. You’re both adults. Talk to her.”

“Ah. ‘Fraid I can’t do that, Cap’n.”

“Why’s that?”

Trip picked up a French Fry and popped it in his mouth. He looked at Archer. “So them aliens thought you were a god, from the sounds of things.”

Archer threw up his hands. “I give up. Yes. They thought I was. I thought we were never going to get them convinced otherwise.”

Trip smiled, listening to his friend continue his story.


Back to Chapter 5
Continue to Chapter 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.