Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Imbalance"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: A terrorist is intent on taking advantage of Archer's search for the Xindi. She takes over Enterprise and tries to persuade him to join her cause. But as angry as he may be, he knows insane when he sees it.


CHAPTER 4 : DAY FOUR

Archer glanced at a monitor near his hand.

“There’s a ship approaching and they’re hailing us,” Archer told Aup’r.

She looked at the monitor on the captain’s chair. She walked over to T’Pol and yanked her to her feet. Aup’r led her to the side of the view screen and forced her to her knees, pushing the muzzle of the rifle against her head. Aup’r looked at Archer as she adjusted the settings.

“It’s a Gartil patrol ship. You will say nothing of what’s happening, having seen the senators, or me.”

“Why not just explode her collar?” Archer snarled.

“If you insist.” Aup’r pulled the control from her belt.

“NO! No. But they are going to wonder why I’m alone on the bridge.”

“Lie.”

Archer touched a control. On the view screen a Gartil appeared.

“I am Chief Kizur of the starship Aretau. You are in Gartil space.”

Archer glanced at Aup’r. She nodded.

“My captain most likely was unaware we were trespassing.”

“Where is your captain?”

“He’s retired for the night.”

Chief Kizur looked at something next to him. “It appears that all of your crew has retired for the night.” Kizur looked at Archer. “Doesn’t your captain realize the dangers of doing that out here? What if hostile aliens attacked while they were all sleeping?”

“We have drones. They don’t show up on scans.”

Kizur nodded. “Drones. Of course. I’m sorry; I didn’t catch your name. You’re an ensign, judging from the bars on your uniform there.”

Archer’s heart leapt. Kizur knew he was lying and just gave it away.

“Lieutenant,” Archer replied, “and it’s Jonathan.”

“Jonathan, eh? Don’t humans have last names too? I’d heard they did.”

“From who?”

“Rajiin.”

Archer’s mouth went dry. If this alien knew Rajiin, that meant he knew the Xindi. Suddenly he found himself wondering if dealing with Aup’r wasn’t the safer of the two evils.

“I’ll get my captain.”

“What is your last name, Lieutenant?”

“Archer.”

“Hurry along and get him.”

Archer ended the communication and closed his eyes.

“He knows about your ranks. This isn’t good,” Aup’r commented.

Archer looked at Aup’r. “And expecting my captain. I need T’Pol up here, Aup’r, to pose as the captain.”

Aup’r shook her head. “Don’t you mean, Trip? You said him. I think Kizur would notice T’Pol is not male. Or were you hoping for that?”

Archer didn’t reply.

“Untie Commander Tucker and then return to helm. He can stand there in front, where I have a clear shot of both of you.”

Archer untied Trip, and they returned to helm. Archer looked up at Trip, noticing he looked a little pique.

“Can you do this?” Archer asked.

“Yes, sir.” Trip glanced nervously at Aup’r. “I have to.”

“Tell me when you’re ready. Just act like me and you’ll be fine.”

Trip smiled a little, pulling his hands behind his back. “Put him on screen, Lieutenant Archer.”

Kizur reappeared.

“Good evening, Cap’n,” Trip said, forcing a tight smile onto his face.

“Good evening, Captain...”

“Tucker. Cap’n Tucker, Cap’n.”

“It’s Chief, and I’m sorry to have woken you.”

“I practically sleep on the bridge.”

“As is the nature of our position, is it not?”

“Most days, yes, sir.”

“You have entered Gartil space, Captain Tucker. We would appreciate it if you left.”

“We’ll make the necessary course changes--” Trip hesitated when Aup’r shot a glare at him, pushing T’Pol against the wall with the rifle. “Actually, our course should have us out of your space shortly. If it’s not too much trouble, could we resume course?”

“You are only a day from our border, I don’t see the harm. Where are you headed, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“We’re explorin’. We’re a science vessel.”

“I did notice you aren’t heavily armed. That’s strange for a ship in the Expanse.”

“We’re on a peaceable mission.”

“To where?”

“No where in particular. We’re just trying to find kind aliens such as yourself to maybe strike up some trade arrangements for our planet.”

“If that’s the case, allow me to escort you back to the Gartil home world. I’m sure President Haufler would enjoy meeting with you. Trade makes up a large portion of our economy.”

Trip hesitated. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Aup’r staring intensely at him.

“I can’t really make that decision right now. My science officer had detected some anomalies that really sparked her interest. You know how those Vulcans can get.”

“You risked bringing a Vulcan into the Expanse? You are more daring than I would be. I’ve seen them die horrifically from exposure to Terillium-D.”

Trip offered a half smile. “She’s been careful to avoid exposure. If you don’t mind, we’d like to be on our way.”

“We’ll escort you to the border of our space so you’re not stopped by another Gartil patrol ship.”

Trip nodded. “Thank you. I’d appreciate that.”

“You are welcome. Contact me as soon as you’ve returned to the bridge, Captain.” Kizur looked right at Archer, nodding his head once.

A smile wafted across Archer’s lips. The view screen changed back to space.

“What did you do that for?” Aup’r demanded. She shoved T’Pol back down to the floor. “We don’t need a guard! He’s up to something.”

“If I’d said no he’d have gotten suspicious, Aup’r.”

“And I’m sure telling him your science officer was Vulcan was prudent.”

“If you wanted it handled different, you shoulda played captain!”

Aup’r stunned Trip and then T’Pol. Archer started to rise but quickly sat when he saw her grab the collar control off her belt. Aup’r glared at him for a long minute before she began pacing.

Archer looked back up at the view monitor. He suspected that Kizur knew Aup’r was aboard Enterprise and he had been sent to stop the genocide weapon from being delivered. What worried him were the lengths Kizur was ordered to go in order to stop it.


Back to Chapter 3
Continue to Chapter 5

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.