Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"In Good Time"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Romance
Description: The crew encounters a primitive alien race that have a deeper secret, Archer tries to convince Trip to show his artwork, Trip and Malcolm are up to their usual shore leave tricks, and Trip has a plan for a girl with a crush on Archer.


Memories Never Die (5)

The door of the darkened quarters opened, spilling bright light from the hall into the room, void only where two silhouettes blacked it out. It was several minutes before there was any further movement. One of the silhouettes stepped into the room.

“Computer, lights,” Trip said and the lights came on.

Archer let out a slow breath and walked into the room, stopping in front of Trip. The door closed behind them but it was another minute before either man moved. Their eyes drifted around the quarters, pausing on the items that decorated it: a shelf with a dozen framed photos, a deck of cards, a book on the table with a data card marking the place the reader had stopped at. There was a handmade quilt of red and dark purple draped over the end of the neatly made bunk. Attached to the cabinet above the bunk were child drawings.

“Start with the bathroom, Trip,” Archer ordered in a quiet voice, “I’ll start with the closet.”

“Maybe we should wait a little longer,” Trip said, looking down at the crate in his hand.

“No. I’ve put this off for as long as I could and we need these quarters now. We both have today off, so go start packing the bathroom.”

“Aye, sir,” Trip replied. He walked past Archer, disappearing into the bathroom.

Archer walked to the closet and sat the crate down on the floor. He began pulling clothes off hangers, folding them as neat as he knew how and placing them in the crate. Archer looked back when the door opened, watching Hoshi and T’Pol walk in, both totting crates.

“Commander Tucker said you two were packing Reuban’s quarters. We came to help.” Hoshi told him, “Should I download his personal files when we’re done, sir?”

Archer nodded as he turned back to the closet. The four didn’t speak as they worked. Archer was wrapping a framed photograph and frame when he heard Hoshi sniff and try to mute her sob. Archer sat the photo in his hand down and turned. Hoshi was sitting on the floor with one of Reuban’s son’s drawings, trying hard not to cry. Archer watched Trip set down the stack of books in his hand and walk over to Hoshi, sitting down beside her. Archer turned back to work, allowing Trip handle the situation.

“Maybe you should go, Hoshi.”

“No. I want to help.” Hoshi struggled to regain her composure and failed. She started crying harder.

“Hey. Hey. It’s okay.” Trip reached out and took her hand in his, covering her hand with his other hand.

“I just— I just—” Hoshi closed her eyes. “I thought I could handle this!”

Trip put his arm around her shoulders, giving her a tight hug. “It’s okay, Hoshi. We all still miss Reuban, know that? But if you were over his loss just like that, I’d be surprised, know that?”

“Why?”

“You were the first and last person to talk to him when he was in trouble, and every time I saw you two, you were laughing. You two were good friends from the looks of things.”

Hoshi smiled, nodding a little. “He was. We had a lot in common.”

“So you have every right to cry. Try this. You cry, then pack a little, cry some, pack some, and before you know it, you’ll be done and feel a little better. Okay?”

Hoshi nodded.

“Atta girl. I’m gonna go back to packing, okay? Let me know if you need anything.”

Hoshi nodded. Trip got up and returned to packing. Hoshi closed her eyes and worked to regain her composure. She got up and started packing the crate again, silent tears continuing to slow her progress and fog her vision. She finally gave up on the crate and walked over to the computer to start downloading his personal files to a data card. She came across some pictures and pulled one up. Hoshi smiled, remember the birthday party the picture had been taken at. Hoshi browsed through them until she reached the last one. Hoshi’s tears restarted at the sight of the gas giant that had killed Reuban. She remembered she and he had gone to observation on deck C to take a picture of it. He sent it to his child before going to meet Trip to prepare to do outside repairs, telling her he expected his son’s rendition of the planet in a couple days. It was sort of a game Reuban played with his son. He’d send pictures of planets, aliens and other things they found and his son would send back a child’s rendition of the picture.

Hoshi dropped her face into her hands, breaking into body shaking sobs.

“Ensign.”

Hoshi looked up at T’Pol. The Vulcan was holding a tissue out to Hoshi, watching her with a solemn expression. Hoshi took the tissue, dabbing her eyes.

“Probably think I’m being stupid,” Hoshi muttered angrily.

Archer and Trip both stopped working, looking at the two.

“No,” T’Pol replied, “I do not.”

“Right!”

“I think that you are grieving over the loss of a very close friend and that crying is helping to ease your grief. What I do find irrational is your insistence to remain here with the memories causing pain. I suggest you depart rather than remain to assist us packing Ensign Walter’s personal effects.”

“Because I’m slowing you down, right?”

“On the contrary, you are not hindering our speed, but I have observed that remaining here is causing you more pain and grief. I am asking you to leave to relieve your pain and grief sooner.”

“What do you care?” Hoshi snarled at T’Pol.

T’Pol’s body tensed. Archer opened his mouth to speak up but Trip motioned him to remain silent. T’Pol leaned over and laid her hand on Hoshi’s shoulder. Hoshi looked at T’Pol with eyes spitting anger, but there was no reflection of the emotion in T’Pol’s eyes.

“I care a great deal, En…Hoshi. You are my friend and to see you in pain such as this disturbs me. I ask you to leave so that the pain will be less. The three of us can finish packing the remaining personal effects. Please, Hoshi, depart.”

A long silence followed, Hoshi searching T’Pol’s eyes for any hint that she was staging this for Archer, but she saw none.

“Thank you,” Hoshi said.

T’Pol nodded her head once and then stood up.

Hoshi looked at the computer. “I have to finish this.”

“As you have already disabled the security code, I can finish this. I am off duty and have time to do so.”

Hoshi looked up at T’Pol. “Thank you.”

“You are welcome.”

Hoshi stood and left the quarters. T’Pol sat down at the terminal and continued downloading the files. She looked up when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Trip kissed her forehead and said, “Sometimes, amazing doesn’t even describe you, T’Pol.” Trip walked away, returning to packing.

T’Pol looked away from him to Archer. Archer smiled at her before turning back to packing. T’Pol returned to downloading the files without a word.


Back to Chapter 4
Continue to Chapter 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.