Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Leap of Faith"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: An earthquake blinds Hoshi and traps her with Travis and Malcolm in caves. Malcolm believes the earthquake was due to the nearby volcano waking up and they attempt to find a way to the surface for rescue. But time quickly running out...
Author’s Note: This has to be my favorite of all my stories.


CHAPTER 2

Travis watched Malcolm crouch beside Hoshi. He uncapped a canteen and made an over-exaggerated move, like he momentarily forgot she was blind, to put it in front of her hands. She pushed it away, splashing some water on her. Malcolm told her something, recapping the canteen. He got up and walked over to Travis, sitting down on the rock floor.

“It’s temporary,” Travis said.

Malcolm looked at him. “What is?”

“Her blindness. It’ll pass.”

Malcolm didn’t have to voice his disagreement. It was in the deep frown on his face. He looked at the canteen, tugging at the strap.

“Travis, go up the tunnel and scan the cave in. If it’s stable enough, we can start digging on this side. It will make it easier for them to detect us.”

“And if we can’t?”

Malcolm looked at Hoshi. “One disaster at time, Travis.”

“Yes, sir.”

Travis picked up a scanner and lantern and headed up the tunnel. Malcolm picked up a scanner he had hidden behind the canteen, dropping the canteen at his feet. He tapped the screen and watched a diagram draw Hoshi’s retina draw on the screen. His limited field medical training was unable to decipher if the readings meant permanent or temporary blindness.

Malcolm dropped the scanner on the canteen. He put his hands behind his neck, pulling down. How could something as simple as a geological survey turn so fast into a fight for survival? The ground began shaking. Malcolm sprung to his feet, running to Hoshi. He knelt beside her, half dragging her into his arms.

“TRAVIS, GET BACK HERE!” Malcolm screamed.

#

Travis’ heart leapt into his throat when the ground started trembling. He jumped back as a stalagmite that towered nearby crashed across the tunnel and then raced back to the two. Travis slid to a stop behind Hoshi, throwing his arms around her. The three huddled together, waiting for the ground to stop moving and the cavern to grow silent again. And it did so suddenly that they all held their breath, expecting it to start again.

Malcolm let Hoshi go, sitting next to her.

“That was shallow,” Hoshi said.

Travis looked at Malcolm. “Sir, that wasn’t an explosion.”

“How close did T’Pol say these caves were to the volcano?” Malcolm asked.

“Eight kilometers, but she said it was extinct,” Travis answered.

“No. She said she hadn’t detected any signs of recent activity in the last fifty years,” Hoshi corrected him, “not that it was extinct. Do you think that was the volcano, sir?”

Malcolm stood, taking Travis’ lantern. He lifted it overhead, looking around them. Calcite stalactites that had gleamed overhead lay broken all around them. Stalagmites were cracked, the mightier of them toppled.

“If it is the volcano, we have to find another way out of here. Start packing, Travis.”

“No. We should wait,” Hoshi said.

“Wait for what? To find out if the volcano is active? How do we know these tunnels didn’t start out as lava tubes, Hoshi? Lieutenant Schaffer was starting to see more obsidian and he told me that was a sign there had been lava.”

“But Captain Archer--”

“They won’t be back for another four days and if the volcano’s become active, he won’t risk crewmen’s lives for us.”

“He wouldn’t abandon us! Not Captain Archer!”

Malcolm knelt down, taking her hand.

“So you would want him to risk the lives of more crewmen to rescue us when there is clear and present danger? Or would you rather try to get out of here before they arrive so that no one else has to die?”

“No one else?”

“You know as well as I do that Kevin and Ensign Jackson didn’t make it.”

In a small voice Hoshi whimpered, “But what if that was the only way out? We could walk until we dropped dead!”

Malcolm smiled. “Tom Sawyer got Becky out of the caves and it was just him. You have Travis and me. Already your luck is doubled!”

Hoshi smiled. “Okay. Just... Don’t get too far ahead of me.”

“I’ve an idea for keeping track of you. We’ll strike camp and then get moving, all right?”

She nodded.

“Travis, pack only the necessities. Leave all the equipment.”

Travis gave Hoshi’s hand a squeeze before leaving her. He packed Hoshi’s pack with provisions and her bedroll, and sat a length of rope aside and then repacked his own pack. He carried the packs, rope and three of the four lanterns over to Hoshi. He crouched down, uncoiling the rope as he spoke.

“You’re going to carry the provisions and your bedroll.”

“I can carry more. I’m blind, not hurt.”

“I know, but even Travis and I are packing light. Now here’s what we’re going to do.” Malcolm looped one end of the rope around his waist and tied it off. “I’m tying one end of this rope to me, the middle around you, and the other end around Travis. You’ll be snugged between us, understand?”

Hoshi smiled at the joke, nodding.

Travis pulled his pack on and walked up, holding his hand out for the other end. Malcolm tied the rope around Hoshi, handed it to Travis, and helped her to her feet. He helped her into her pack and pressed the handle of a lantern into her hand. He tied a second lamp onto the back of her pack. With her ready to leave, he pulled his own pack on, adjusting it until it was centered.

“Ready, Travis?”

“Yes, sir.”

Malcolm pulled a scanner from a pocket and started walking. He stopped when the tunnel they were in suddenly divided into three.

“We’re out already?” Hoshi asked.

“No. We have three choices and I’d bet at least on of them doesn’t lead anywhere we want to be. Do either of you remember eenie-minie-moe?”

“I think I remember it,” Travis answered.

“You recite it and we’ll go down the tunnel you end on.”

“That’s how you’re going to decide which tunnel to take?” Hoshi’s tone said she thought the idea was ridiculous.

“We have to decide somehow, Hoshi.”

Hoshi sighed. “Travis, is he joking?”

Travis looked at Malcolm. He didn’t look up from the scanner.

“No. I think he’s serious.”

Hoshi frowned. “Sir, this really--”

“None of the tunnels show air movement, so we’re going to have to take a chance.”

Hoshi held out her hand in Malcolm’s direction. He took her hand and she pulled it away, holding it out again.

“The scanner, sir,” she ordered flatly. “Men!”

Malcolm handed it over. Hoshi clumsily felt around the screen, tilting her head in its direction. After several series of beeps she handed it back.

Malcolm looked at the readout, nodding approvingly. “I always forget you have superb hearing. The middle tunnel has a slow fresh air current. Thank you.”

“I still have some skills left,” Hoshi replied quietly.

Malcolm laid his hand on her arm. “No more talk about skills lost, understood?”

“Yes, sir.”

Malcolm took her hand and pulled her into a walk, letting it go once they entered the chosen tunnel. The three didn’t speak as they walked, lost in their own dismay.

#

The end of the tunnel floor loomed out of the darkness so suddenly that Malcolm had to hop back to keep from falling off the crumbling edge. He ran into Hoshi, knocking her off balance. Travis caught and steadied her. Malcolm held the lantern overhead, staring at where the floor disappeared into airy blackness. The edge went both directions with a narrow ledge following it along the wall.

“Travis, untie and see if you can find us a safe way around this.”

Travis obeyed and walked up to the edge. He held his lantern out, but the small light didn’t penetrate the darkness receding away and across the expanse. Travis deposited his pack on the floor and stepped onto the narrow ledge, just as a quake hit. Travis swung himself back against the tunnel wall. Malcolm grabbed Hoshi’s arm, pulling her against the opposite wall with him. The movement stopped as abruptly as it had begun.

“Sir, we should find another --” Travis started.

“Travis, I fear we’re running out of time. You have to see if there’s another way out of here on the other side of this.”

“But if a quake hits--”

“I know you can do this, Travis.”

Travis smiled uneasily. He turned, stepped onto the ledge and disappeared around the corner. Malcolm turned to Hoshi, taking her arms.

“Let’s sit down and rest until he gets back, Hoshi.”

She allowed Malcolm to guide her to the floor, “What is he doing?”

“Finding a way around a very large hole in the ground.”

“And?”

“That’s all.”

“No it’s not. You two were arguing about him going. Why?”

Malcolm sighed. “He has to follow a very narrow ledge around it.”

“How narrow?”

“Barely a foot wide.”

“SIR! If a quake hits while he--”

“Enough,” Malcolm snapped.

It was a sharp command, a tone Archer used when his patience had run out. But when Malcolm used the tone, it only infuriated Hoshi.

“Why not just go push him off the ledge yourself!?” Hoshi hissed.

Malcolm reached out, laying a hand on her shoulder. She slapped him and recoiled. Malcolm didn’t follow her or speak.

For several minutes they were silent. Hoshi closed her eyes, shaking her head. In hindsight, she realized Malcolm had probably thought about the risk involved, but they had come too far to go back, and the movement of fresh air was probably getting stronger in this tunnel. He was only trying to save them.

“I’m sorry, sir.”

Malcolm didn’t answer. She was sure he was mad at her. His voice made her jump when he spoke.

“We’ll find a way out of here, Hoshi, but it means you’ll have to trust my decisions.”

Hoshi nodded. “I do, sir. Do you see him at all?”

Malcolm looked into the void. He saw a speck of light swinging against the blackness.

“It’s very far, Hoshi.”

Hoshi got up and held out her hand. Malcolm took it and she followed his arm to him. She sat down next to him, shoulder to shoulder.

“I’m scared, sir. I’m sorry I hit you.”

Malcolm smiled. “I don’t hold it against you.”

“Kevin was one of my closest friends. When this is over, I’ll cry over losing him.”

Malcolm closed his eyes. Silent tears ran down his face and he was glad she couldn’t see his fear exposed.

“Why don’t you get some rest, Hoshi? You may not get another chance for a while.”

Hoshi shrugged out of her pack and laid down on the floor. Malcolm listened to her breathing, but he couldn’t sleep. His guilt wouldn’t let him.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.