Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Mirage"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: After being bit by a snake, T'Pol revives believing she's human. As her behavior becomes increasingly problematic, the crew realize they have to convince her she's Vulcan.


CHAPTER IV
March 13 : Menshara Moon, Shuttle Pod

Archer ran up to the shuttle pod hatch, stepping in. Doctor Phlox pushed past him and knelt by the officer on the floor.

Phlox looked back at Archer. “He’s unconscious, but he’s not hurt.”

“Which way did she go?” Archer asked Travis, looking back at him.

“That direction. Toward that peak.” Travis pointed in the direction.

“Travis, take everyone back to Enterprise.” Archer stepped out of the shuttle pod.

“I’m staying with you,” Trip told him.

Archer looked back at the peak. He nodded once and walked away. Trip turned to Travis.

“Leave right away,” Trip ordered and then ran to catch up with Archer.


March 17 : Menshara Moon, Camp Site

Trip held a tin cup in both hands, staring at the fire. Archer idly tossed pinecones and sticks into the flames, sending firefly embers into the darkness above. The planet didn’t appear to have nocturnal life and the silence was slightly unsettling. Archer looked across the fire, watching Trip.

“Trip?” Archer said.

“Hm?”

“Why did you really want to stay?”

“To bring back my girl.”

“It doesn’t bother you that she doesn’t have the same feeling for you anymore?”

“Yeah. It does. But... I can’t just give up on her like that, Cap’n. She needs me now more than ever, even if she doesn’t see it.”

Archer shook his head. “I know a lot of men, could even name them, that would have given up on her a long time ago. I wonder if she’ll ever realize how lucky she is.”

Trip looked past him with a thoughtful expression. Archer turned his attention back to the fire.

“Cap’n.”

“Hm?” Archer looked at him.

Trip nodded the direction he was looking and Archer turned. T’Pol stood just inside the firelight. The knee of her uniform was torn and her knee was skinned. Tears had cut streaks through the dirt that covered her face.

Taking hesitant steps, T’Pol walked toward them. “I... I got a day away and I realized, all at once, that everyone could be right. Because, you see, if I’m a human then there’s a whole lot of things wrong with me. My pointed ears, I have green blood... B-But if I’m...a Vulcan...” She started crying. “If I’m a Vulcan, then I don’t know who I am.”

“That’s why we’ve been so worried, T’Pol,” Trip told her.

T’Pol looked from one man to the other several times. Archer looked back into his coffee cup to avoid her eyes; Trip held her gaze.

“We’re dating?” she asked Trip.

Trip nodded.

T’Pol fell to her knees beside him. “I’m sorry, Trip.”

“I have to take some of the blame too, T’Pol. When I wasn’t getting after you about your behavior, I was too mad to talk to you civilly.”

T’Pol started crying. “I’m so sorry.”

Trip sat his cup aside. He pulled her into a tight hug, kissing her forehead.

“I don’t know what to do, Trip.”

“How does this plan sound: we go back to Enterprise, you get cleaned up, get some shut eye, and a good meal? And then, together, you and me will contact the Vulcan High Command. Vulcans seem to have a ritual for everything; I bet there’s a ritual to fix memory loss.”

“You really don’t like me like this?”

“I want you to be able to remember things like your parents, or your favorite color, or--”

“It’s blue.”

Trip shook his head.

“It’s not blue?”

“No. It’s red. Fire ruby red.”

T’Pol grabbed his uniform and pressed her face into his chest, bursting into fresh tears. Trip quietly comforted her with whispers and kisses.

Archer watched the two with some regret. A part of him remembered how much he’d wanted T’Pol so long ago and through this a sliver of hope had surfaced that they might be together. But the part that grounded him in reality knew that was never going to happen and that her returning to Trip was the best thing for her. It was the only way she’d ever remember who she was.


April 1 : Arid Planet, Shuttle Pod

T’Pol heard people moving around her, but didn’t open her eyes. Someone was gently changing the bandage on her head.

“How’s the shuttle pod look, Trip?” a man said.

Another man replied. “These repairs are things she knows how to do. Wonder why she didn’t do them.. And the com is functioning, but she didn’t respond to Hoshi's hails.”

“I don’t think she was able to do much judging from the looks of this head wound. She’s lost a lot of blood, Trip. Hustle with those repairs so we can get her to Phlox.”

“Another two minutes and we’re in the air.”

“Do you think the Vulcans helped her?

“We talked before she left the monastery. She appeared to be the old T’Pol. I hope she is.”

T’Pol opened her eyes, looking up at Archer. He smiled when he noticed she was conscious.

“We’re going to get you back. Trip has a few minor repairs to make.”

“Back where? Who are you?” she asked.

Trip’s tools clattered to the floor and he turned, staring at T’Pol. Archer’s smile melted into shock.

“What?”

“Who are you?” T’Pol asked him.

On hands and knees Trip scurried to her side. “T’Pol, please tell me you’re joking. Don’t joke about this. Please don’t, honey.”

“Joking about what?”

“What’s your name?” Trip asked.

Weakly she replied, “I don’t know.” Her eyes drifted close.

“T’Pol, stay with me,” Trip said, moving closer. He picked up her hand, lacing their fingers together.

Archer moved out of the way, watching the two.

“So tired,” T’Pol whispered.

“Baby, open your eyes. Look at me.”

T’Pol didn’t obey.

“T’POL!”

For a brief moment she looked at him, and then the fire faded from her eyes as she exhaled her last breath. Trip gasped back the first few sobs.

“NO! GOD, NO!”

Archer closed his eyes, listening to Trip break down. When he opened them, Trip had T’Pol’s body in his arms. His face was buried in her chest, muffling his wails. Archer closed his eyes, refusing to let the moment be captured in his memory album.


February 7 : Enterprise, Sickbay

T’Pol opened her eyes, staring at Doctor Phlox’s chest. She said nothing. Phlox leaned back and smiled when he saw she was awake.

“Captain,” Doctor Phlox called.

Archer walked up to T’Pol’s other side. He smiled, laying his hand on her arm.

“Good morning.”

“How long have I been here?”

“A few days,” Archer answered. “Doctor Phlox was able to make the antivenin in time. He had a hard time keeping you stable before it counteracted the venom, though.”

“I am...”

“You’re what?”

“Confused. Have I been in a shuttle pod accident?”

“No. Why?”

“I am confused about what events have transpired.”

“The snake bit you eight days ago; we left the Osewa home world four days ago. You’ve been in Sickbay the entire time, but you were delusional up until twelve hours ago,” Archer told her. “What do you think has transpired?”

“I don’t care to discuss it, Captain.”

“Okay.”

“Where is Trip?”

“He’s recovering.” Archer motioned to the bio-bed beside T’Pol.

T’Pol turned her head, staring at Trip on the bio-bed next to hers.

“It may be another three days before he regains consciousness,” Phlox told her.

T’Pol lifted her arm, seeing black and blue coloration extending from the bandage to her elbow and wrist.

“And my injury, Doctor Phlox?”

“It’s going to hurt for the next three or four weeks, but you should be able to return to limited duty in a day or two.”

T’Pol laid her arm on her stomach, closing her eyes.

“I’ll check in on you later, T’Pol,” Archer said.

T’Pol listened to him leave. She opened her eyes, finding Doctor Phlox reading the monitor above her again.

“Doctor Phlox.”

“Yes?” He smiled down at her.

“May I have something to relieve the pain?”

“Certainly. I’ll be right back.”

Phlox left and T’Pol looked at the ceiling, thinking about how a fantasy she’d thought about numerous times had manifested in her delusional state. She would have to meditate on it when she was released. Satisfied with her resolve to decode the delusion, T’Pol closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.


Back to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.