Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Nuggets"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Long ago, on a planet somewhere else, Trip adopted a pet chicken and named her Nuggets. The fowl has caused ship wide havoc, befriended Porthos, and saved the ship from certain doom ... And in the end, she gets the last word.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: These are the Nugget stories missing from the Tweens


Chapter 2 : After Nuggets


Hoshi leaned against the console wall in the middle of Sickbay, masking her humor behind a seriousness face.

Doctor Phlox picked up the white bird, looking it in the eye.

“It’s a chicken,” Doctor Phlox stated. The statement was flat, void of the curiosity he actually held for the white-feathered Leghorn chicken in his hands. Doctor Phlox looked back at Ensign Sato. “And why did you bring me a chicken?” Doctor Phlox looked back at the bird.

“We thought you’d like to add it to your collection?” Hoshi suggested.

“I have no use for a...chicken.”

“We could always use it to make chicken nuggets,” Ensign Cutler said. Cutler was leaning against a biobed on the other side of Doctor Phlox.

“We could!” Hoshi agreed.

“You would have to kill the chicken first. Are either of you prepared to do that?” Doctor Phlox asked.

“If you don’t want it, we really don’t have anywhere to put it and we already left orbit. So...I guess we’ll have to.” Ensign Cutler looked at Hoshi. A smile followed her wink.

Hoshi smiled.

“We could get Chef to fry them up. I like mine with honey,” Hoshi said.

“I’m partial to barbeque sauce,” Ensign Cutler said.

Doctor Phlox tucked the bird under his arm. “I suppose I can add it to my collection.”

“Are you sure? I mean...it is only a chicken. They're really aren’t good for much more than eggs and eating,” Hoshi said.

“I’ll make the chicken at home. Now if you ladies don’t mind, I have work to do.”

Ensigns Cutler and Sato headed for the door together.

“What do chicken eat, Ensign Cutler?” Doctor Phlox asked them.

The two turned. He was holding the chicken up, looking it in the eye again.

“Grains. Corn, barely,” Ensign Cutler answered.

“I’ll find an adequate substitute. Come Nuggets, let’s find you a home.”

The woman turned and left the Sickbay with a faster pace. Two halls away the two finally dared to speak.

“Should we have told him this was Trip’s idea?” Cutler asked Hoshi.

“Commander Tucker threatened us if we ever told anyone he saved a chicken, remember?”

“Should have had him see if he could find a goat or a sheep or something,” Cutler commented. “We could have named it McDonald.”

Hoshi giggled. “Instead of Ol’ McDonalds farm, we have Old Doctor Phlox’s menagerie!”

Hoshi and Cutler both laughed.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.