Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Nuggets"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Long ago, on a planet somewhere else, Trip adopted a pet chicken and named her Nuggets. The fowl has caused ship wide havoc, befriended Porthos, and saved the ship from certain doom ... And in the end, she gets the last word.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: These are the Nugget stories missing from the Tweens


Chapter 5 : Will You Be My Friend?


“PORTHOS!” Archer yelled, startling two crewmen working.

The two turned, watching him walk around the corner.

“Have you seen Porthos?” Archer asked them.

“No, sir,” both answered.

“If you do, will you hold him captive and call me?” Archer asked them.

“Sure, sir,” one answered.

Archer continued his search and calling. He stopped in a hall, looking both directions. “I only have four more decks and a several hundred meters to search...not including access tunnels and shuttle pods,” Archer growled to himself. “You’d better be in a lot of trouble when I find you dog.”

“Doctor Phlox to Archer,” Doctor Phlox called over the ship COM.

Archer walked over to a companel and pressed the talk button.

“Archer here,” he said.

“I was told you were looking for a certain four-legged canine.”

“Yes. Do you have him?”

“In a matter of speaking. You should probably come to Sickbay with a camera.”

Archer smiled. “On my way.”

He headed for engineering to ask Trip for his camera.

#

Archer walked into Sickbay watching Doctor Phlox motion him to be quiet. Doctor Phlox led him around a console and pointed. Porthos was lying on the counter next to Nugget’s cage, curled up and lightly snoring. Nuggets was lying down inside the cage next to Porthos, her beak tucked under her wing while she slept.

“I discovered them when I returned from lunch,” Doctor Phlox whispered.

Archer opened Trip’s camera and took a picture, the flash waking both animals. Porthos yawned, looking up at him. Nuggets clucked quietly, watching the scene and occasionally cocking her head to the side to take in a better view of things.

“How’d he get up there?”

“Resourcefulness, I’d assume,” Doctor Phlox pointed to two crates stacked on top of the other, “and a large leap.”

Archer laughed. Porthos yawned again and tucked his head back under his leg. Nuggets reached between the wires and plucked at Porthos’ shoulder. Porthos’ tail flopped once. She plucked his shoulder again and he looked at her, emitting a short, low growl. Nuggets made a low sound and returned to her slumber. Porthos tucked his head back under his leg and went back to sleep.

“That stupid chicken is determined to find ways to make me let her stay,” Archer said.

“I would agree. If you were to fry her as you’ve threatened, your canine companion might become very distraught.” Doctor Phlox turned and walked away.

Archer walked over to the counter, petting Porthos. Nuggets reached through the wire and plucked at Archer’s sleeve. Archer smiled a little. He reached a finger through the wire and she gently plucked at it, letting Archer stroke her with his other fingers.

“Never thought I’d like a chicken, bird. Consider yourself lucky Trip found you and not me,” Archer told her. “Come on Port.”

Archer turned and started toward the door. Porthos stood up, stretched and shook. Archer turned, watching Nuggets gently pluck at Porthos’ nose when the Beagle put it next to the cage. Porthos licked her head through the wire and then jumped down and followed Archer out of Sickbay.


Back to Chapter 4
Continue to Chapter 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.