Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Nuggets"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Long ago, on a planet somewhere else, Trip adopted a pet chicken and named her Nuggets. The fowl has caused ship wide havoc, befriended Porthos, and saved the ship from certain doom ... And in the end, she gets the last word.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: These are the Nugget stories missing from the Tweens


Chapter 7 : Non-Negotiable


Trip hummed a song as he worked, his mind following straying paths of thought. Occasionally lyrics slipped out as he remembered them, echoing in the empty catwalk. Trip looked into the open access panel and then down at the scanner in his hand. The communicator by his leg beeped and he swept it up with a wrench, flicked it open and held it up.

“Trip here.”

“Trip, you need to report to Sickbay,” Phlox said in a hushed voice.

“What’s wrong?”

“Commander, you need to get down here IMMEDIATELY! Oh, hello,” Phlox said to someone else and then the transmission cut out.

Trip looked at the communicator. Trip sat the wrench down and got up, heading to Sickbay.

#

Trip walked into Sickbay, staring at the aliens talking to Archer and T’Pol. T’Pol stood somber at Archer’s side. Archer was listening to the alien, apparently having a communicator that could translate their language. He looked up when he saw Trip.

“Trip, meet the Vaytu.”

Trip smiled politely, nodding his head slightly. “Hello.”

“They want to buy Nuggets.”

Trip looked at Archer and then T’Pol. T’Pol said nothing.

“No.”

“Trip, she--”

“I said no.”

“Trip, hear me out.”

Trip crossed his arms, pursing his lips angrily.

“These aliens, like the others, worship chickens. However, they haven’t seen one in centuries. She would be honored and well-cared for.”

“No.”

“Trip, you’re being stubborn.”

“She’s my chicken, I said no. She stays.”

“They are offering a great deal in exchange,” T’Pol told Trip.

“I don’t care if they offered us an engine that could go warp ten, I’m not trading Nuggets. Would you trade Porthos?”

“That’s different. He’s my pet.”

“And what the hell do you think Nuggets is to me?”

“She’s just sitting in here getting fat, Trip.”

“No.”

“Trip--”

“N. O.”

“Do I have to order you?”

“Not if you wanna stay friends, sir.”

“She is a menace!”

“She hasn’t been a menace since Brila built her new cage.”

“She’s a chicken!”

“She’s my chicken.”

Archer started to argue but suddenly started laughing. Trip’s brow furrowed.

“What?”

“I can’t believe we’re arguing about a chicken.”

“You’re arguing. I’m standing my ground.”

“Commander Tucker does have a point, Captain,” T’Pol said.

“T’Pol, unless you can pick a side, stay out of this,” Archer told her.

T’Pol said nothing.

“Trip, she would have as good or better of a home with them.”

“She’s my chicken. I rescued her, more than once, and she’s saved our skins. She likes me. I can pet her and she gets happy when she sees me, which is every night before I head to bed. She and Porthos are our ship mascots. Without her we’re just another starship flying around.”

Archer’s eyebrows lifted. “Just...another...”

“Just another starship flying around.”

“Right. Who can argue with that?” Archer turned to the Vaytu. “I’m sorry. She’s not for sale.”

“Will that be all, sir?” Trip asked.

“Yes.”

Trip walked around to the back of Sickbay. He unlocked Nugget’s door and gently lifted her out. Trip tucked her under his arm and walked toward the doors.

“Trip...what are you doing?”

“Takin’ my chicken for a walk,” Trip glanced at Archer, adding, “For her own safety.”

Archer chuckled, shaking his head.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.