Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Nuggets"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Long ago, on a planet somewhere else, Trip adopted a pet chicken and named her Nuggets. The fowl has caused ship wide havoc, befriended Porthos, and saved the ship from certain doom ... And in the end, she gets the last word.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: These are the Nugget stories missing from the Tweens


Prologue

Archer entered Sickbay and stopped inside the door. His eyes were watery and he kept wiping his runny, reddened nose. Red blotches mottled his pallid skin giving him a ‘walking dead’ appearance despite the fact he was getting better. A yellow cream was dried in small patches on several of the blotches. He was dressed in oversized civilian clothing that hung off him like scarecrow rags. He started scratching his arm and quickly mouthed, ‘Stop it, Jonnie!’ He dropped his hand, clenching it into a fist as a physical reminder of the command.

Across Sickbay, Phlox and Trip crowded around the end of the bio-bed so Archer couldn’t see who was lying on the bed. Trip was tense and unmoving, refusing to leave the person despite impeding Phlox from working.

“Trip? Phlox?” Archer said.

Phlox looked over his shoulder.

“How is she?” Archer asked.

Phlox shook his head.

Archer walked around Trip, standing on his other side. Lying in a bed of pillows and towels, was a plump, white, Leghorn chicken. Trip had one hand under her head and with his free hand was stroking her from head to tail. His eyes were swollen from dried tears. Phlox held a scanner over her again. He sighed, holding the instrument.

“Commander, we have to put her down,” Phlox said.

“Not yet,” Trip argued.

“It isn’t humane to make her suffer like this.” Phlox looked up at Trip. “She’s in a great deal of the pain. This illness has gotten too far.”

“A little bit longer.”

“I just talked to T’Pol. She won’t be here for another two hours, Trip,” Archer said. “She said she understood if you asked that she be put to sleep before she gets here.”

“NOT YET!” Trip bellowed at them. Quietly he asked the chicken, “We’re gonna wait for T’Pol, huh, Nuggets?”

The chicken barely opened her eyes. A soft cluck escaped her. Trip smiled, nodding.

“We’re waiting. She wants T’Pol here.”

Phlox looked up at Archer, opening his mouth to protest. Archer shook his head. He patted Trip’s shoulder.

“I’ll go let her know to put some speed on, okay?”

Trip nodded.

Archer headed for the door, resisting scratching the blotches. He exited Sickbay and turned the corner at the next hall. Behind him he heard heavy footsteps running after him.

“Captain!” Phlox called

With a heavy sigh, Archer turned to face the Denobulan.

“Captain, we all love that bird, but--“

“Phlox, have you ever had a pet that was just your pet? Not a lab experiment, not something that could help another being with disease, just a pet. Have you ever had one of those?”

“No, and I don’t see--”

“Then you can’t understand what’s going through Trip’s head right now. He understands his pet is suffering and won’t prolong it any longer than need be. He’ll let you put the chicken down when T’Pol gets here.”

“Captain, you have to order--”

Archer laid a hand on Phlox’s shoulder, giving it a squeeze, silencing him. His smile was sad, but patient.

“This is beyond my authority as a Captain, or a friend. When he gives you the okay, then you can put her to sleep. I’m not ordering him to do anything. Okay?”

Phlox’s face reflected his disapproval, but he nodded.

Archer walked away.


Continue to Chapter 1

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.