Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Onawandah"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Jit crew leave after Archer is contacted by their enemies. They learn the hard way that humans aren't easily dissuaded from defending those they care about.


CHAPTER 4

“Okay, give me a report,” Archer said, sitting down on the edge of the Captain’s chair.

“Aft thruster repaired and functioning,” Zintar said. “Shields at ninety-four percent and holding. Proton guns at one hundred percent. Emergency fire suppression not responding in some areas.”

“Let’s hope those areas aren’t hit, Commander.”

“Aye, Captain.”

“Where are our friends?” Archer asked Brila.

“Two ships are patrolling the perimeter still.”

“Wasn’t there three?”

“Yes, sir. The third disappeared off sensors several hours ago, sir.”

“Navta.” Archer turned, looking back at her.

“I have the report you requested ready, K’pan.”

“When is the first flare?” Archer looked down at the floor.

“The next solar flare will be in eight minutes. It may be up to one kilometer long.”

“Did you get information about how long the flares last?”

“Less than a minute before collapsing.”

“Can you pinpoint where on the sun it will appear?”

“It’s a guess.”

“Give the coordinates of all predicted flares to helm.”

“Okay.” Navta turned back to her work.

Archer got up and walked up to Brila’s chair. She looked up, meeting his gaze. Archer put his hands on his hips.

“Ensign Brila, I need your one hundred percent cooperation when we get out there.”

Brila looked away.

“Ensign Brila.”

“Aye, sir.”

“I can’t have you questioning my orders when they’re shooting at us again, is that clear?”

Brila nodded.

“I didn’t hear you Ensign.”

“Yes, Captain. I won’t question your orders again, sir.”

“Good.” Archer walked back to the captain’s chair. Archer looked at the star chart on the monitor of his chair. He pointed to a spot on it that was within twelve kilometers of the sun. “In seven minutes, I want you to make a straight line for these coordinates, Sisyl.”

“Ensign, sir,” Sisyl said.

“I’m sorry?” Archer looked up.

“I’m an Ensign, sir.”

Archer smiled. “Ensign Sisyl, make for these coordinates in seven minutes.”

“Aye captain. May I inquire what your plan is so I can make ready for it?”

“Do you know what a strafing run is?” Archer asked.

No one answered.

“Okay. When we clear the asteroid field, I want you to began firing phasers at any ship that shows up on screen and takes us to no more than warp one. Aim doesn’t matter, just fire in the direction of any ship. We want them angry and pursuing us. When we are within five kilometers of the sun cease fire and we’re going to use the sun’s flares to disrupt their shields. As soon as their shields are down, I want you, Ryce, to fire two phase missiles and two photon torpedoes at each ship. No more than that because we’re running low.”

“Lieutenant Commander Ryce, sir,” Zintar said, smiling. “Just for the record.”

“Noted,” Archer said.

“I’m an Ensign too!” Navta said.

Archer chuckled. “Archer to Engineering.”

“Engineering here,” Trip said.

“We move in six minutes. Be ready.”

“We’re ready down here, Captain.”

“Good.” Archer sat back in the chair.

“Launch in five minutes, sir,” Ensign Sisyl said.

Archer looked at Zintar. He was staring at the monitor, but not really reading it.

“Something wrong, Commander?”

Zintar looked at him. “It’s different having someone else in command.”

Archer nodded. “I imagine it is. I wish I weren’t.”

Zintar shrugged, adding quietly so only Archer heard him. “But if I had to choose, I’m glad it’s you, sir.”

“Thank you.”

“Launch to commence in one minute, sirs,” Ensign Sisyl said.

“Here goes nothing.” Archer let out a sigh as his stomach tightened in response to his nervousness.

The computer counted down the last ten seconds. Diedra launched. Sisyl maneuvered out of the asteroids and laid in a course for the system’s sun.

“Start at full impulse. Keep us out of locking range, but close enough for them to follow, Ensign Sisyl,” Archer said.

“Aye, Captain.”

“Captain,” Brila said.

“Yes?”

Brila looked up at him with a look of fear.

“Captain...three more Varlikon ships have dropped out of warp. They’re heading straight for us.”

“You have your orders, men. Start the run.”

The ship jumped to warp one once it cleared the asteroid field. The Diedra rocked.

“Varlikon ships closing fast, sir.”

“Keep us a nose ahead of them and out of weapons range,” Archer ordered.

“Approaching system’s sun in two minutes,” Brila reported.

“Drop to full impulse when we’re within one kilometer.”

“Ay captain,” Sisyl replied.

The Diedra slowed quickly to impulse.

“Follow rotation, helmsman. Keep our belly to the sun and be ready for that flare. Lure them in and make a fast run out before the flare collapses on us.”

The Diedra rocked.

“Shields to eighty percent,” the computer reported.

“Five more ships have dropped out of warp, sir,” Brila said.

Diedra lurched forward suddenly.

“Sun flare erupting,” Navta said.

“One Varlikon ship has lost shields. Launching missiles and torpedoes,” Ryce said. “Another Varlikon ship has lost thrusters on port and is drifting toward the sun.”

Archer frowned. “Keep going. Don’t stop now.”

“Sir...there is a transmission coming in. Visual is disabled this close to the sun,” Brila reported.

“Continue run. Open the channel. This is the Diedra,” Archer said.

“T’Pol...assisting...close to sun...detected...” the message said.

Archer frowned. “I can’t get an entire message,” Archer replied. “We’re continuing run, T’Pol.”

“Acknowl...” came the reply.

“Next solar flare in ten seconds,” Navta said.

“Avoid it. Sisyl. Let’s not fall prey to our trap.”

The Diedra rocked.

“Photon torpedo hit on starboard aft. Shields down to seventy percent,” Ryce reported.

“When’s the next flare, Navta?”

“Should be occurring in three seconds, K’pan.”

The flare suddenly burst right in front of the Diedra. Everyone looked away from the bright light until it was gone. The Diedra raced through the arc as it began collapsing.

“Second ship down. Flare has destroyed it, sir.”

“Break run. Head away,” Archer ordered.

Sisyl banked right, heading back into space.

“Get me some readings. Who’s here and where are the Varlikon?”

“Enterprise, five Vulcan ships and one Klingon. Seven Varlikon ships have taken heavy damaged and have been boarded.”

“What!?” Archer stood. “Hail Enterprise,” Archer ordered.

T’Pol suddenly appeared on the screen. “Captain,” she said.

“T’Pol, what’s going on?”

“We received assistance from seven Vulcan warships and one Klingon.”

“Vulcan warships? No. Wait. Klingon?”

“They came to assist.”

“Assist with what?”

“The Varlikon, sir.”

Archer didn’t know if he should smile or be concerned. “Open a channel to all ships.”

“Ready,” Brila said.

“To Klingon and Vulcan ships, thank you for your assistance.”

“We’re being hailed by a Vulcan vessel.”

“On screen as well.”

A Vulcan appeared on the screen next to T’Pol.

“You have received permission to grant the Jit asylum, is that correct?” he asked.

“Yes. I’m Captain Jo--”

“The Klingons have requested that you contact Earth and request the removal of two Jit colonies within their space. They want them relocated elsewhere. We have negotiated with them to release certain technologies to Starfleet in order to safely relocate the Jit and deliver them to their designated relocation area. Vulcan will also release certain technologies we feel would be useful in the relocation of the Jit.”

“I take it the Varlikon are not well liked.”

“They are not widely tolerated. Their means of acquiring profit are considered unacceptable by many cultures.”

“I will contact Starfleet and request the relocation.”

“I am transmitting the locations of the colonies and the specifications agreed to by both Vulcan and the Klingon Empire to Enterprise. The Jit aboard your vessel will be able to answer any question you have on the technologies.”

The Vulcan disappeared from the view screen without even a good-bye. Archer looked at T’Pol.

“Friendly, isn’t he?”

“He is handling negotiations with the Klingon to administer legal action against the Varlikon.”

“These Varlikon...”

“They are very disliked among many races, Captain.”

Archer nodded.

“Captain, I would suggest leaving this area of space immediately and allow the Vulcan’s to finish the negotiations.”

“Why?”

“We are in Klingon space. More Klingons are certain to arrive and our presence here would not be advised.”

“We’re preparing to dock. Open bay doors.”

“Aye, Captain.”

T’Pol disappeared and the view screen came up. Archer sat down, staring at the scene for a moment.

“Dock,” Archer ordered.

Sisyl flew them toward the Enterprise.

#

The doorbell of his ready room beeped.

“Come in,” Archer said, but his eyes stayed glued to the PADD.

The person entered.

“Just a minute,” Archer said.

A plate of food was slowly moved in between him and his PADD. Archer looked up at Sista. She smiled, holding the plate out to him still.

“Trip said you did not come to supper, so I thought I’d bring it to you,” Sista explained, setting the plate on the edge of his desk and placing a napkin and silverware next to it.

Archer looked from her face to the combadge on her shirt. “Combadge seems to be working well. Have a seat.”

Sista sat down in the chair by his desk. “I didn’t want any misinterpretations today. I wanted to apologize.”

Archer looked back up at her face. “For?”

Sista nervously pointed to his face. “The...bruise. I’m sorry, Captain Archer.”

Archer smiled, setting his PADD aside. He shook his head. “Don’t be. I understand.”

Sista held her hands in front of her, looking down. “And I’m sorry for shooting you and locking you in the quarters and not telling you everything and endangering your crew and--”

“Sista.” Archer smiled a little more. “I understand. If I were mad, you would know about it.”

“Yes, sir.”

Archer laughed, turning in his chair a little. “Sir. Now...how are we going to resolve this, Sista?”

“Sir?” Sista asked.

“We now have two captains on one starship in the middle of space. It would appear that we have a conflict.”

“I can leave. I won’t tell--”

“I didn’t ask you to leave. Besides, I wouldn’t want to break my Lieutenant’s heart.”

Sista tilted her head to the side a little. “I don’t understand, sir.”

Archer smiled. “Lieutenant Reed would miss you. I wouldn’t want to do that to him, so you should stay for a while longer.”

Sista smiled. “I would miss him too, sir.”

“What is this?” Archer asked, leaning toward the plate.

“It’s a Varlikon dish. Try it, sir.”

Archer picked up the fork from the plate and tasted the food. He nodded. “Not bad. How’d you convince Chef to make it?”

“I convinced him to let me use the kitchen so I could make you supper,” Sista admitted.

“How’d that go?”

“You wouldn’t be eating a Varlikon dish if it went poorly.”

Archer laughed. “No I wouldn’t. Are the children, or rather, your crew, going to continue attending school?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Well, if that’s all, I have a lot of work to do.”

“Yes, sir.” Sista rose. “Are there any of the specifications you want me to go over with you?”

“No, sir.” Archer smiled at Sista.

She smiled in return. “Navta is waiting outside with Porthos.”

“Let ‘em in.” Archer ate another bite of his super.

Sista walked to the door and opened it. Porthos bound into the room pulling Navta with him.

“K’PAN!” Navta cried, falling onto Archer in a hug.

Archer laughed, wrapping his arm around her and letting her lift Porthos onto his lap. Navta began to rattle off about her day like she did every day after she took Porthos for his walk. When Archer looked up, Sista had left them alone. Archer smiled, pulling Navta onto his lap. He listened to recount of the Enterprise happenings through an eight-year-old’s eyes while he ate his supper.


Back to Chapter 3
This series continues in No Borders
The next Tweens story is Frank and Speaking

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.