Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Reality Flux"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Reed and the child T'Pol saved from the Jakisau world are kidnapped by a slave merchant, but fate rescues them by throwing them into the future. Now they are trying as desperately to return to their present, as the crew is trying to bring them back.


CHAPTER 1

He’d had lost track of time, entranced by a pulsing blue star. Well, it wasn’t really pulsing. The plasma venting from the ship they were docked to was causing the pulse illusion, but somewhere in his mind it had associated with the pulsing star with the pulsing of a heart and from there his train wandered off on various psycho-analysis thoughts entwined with daily thoughts such as the women he’d like to get to know better and why he had been volunteered to give Porthos his next bath.

His cosmic insight was interrupted when he heard Aina’s crying coming toward the shuttle pod. He let out a sigh, powering systems up. T’Pol hurried onto the shuttle pod and pulled the hatch shut.

Reed looked up when he heard the hallow clank of the dock clamps release and watched the ship they had been docked to pull away faster than was probably safe. He looked back at T’Pol. She was sitting in a chair, trying to comfort and calm Aina.

“Take us to the rendezvous location,” T’Pol ordered.

“I take that it didn’t go well?” Reed turned and set the course. The shuttle pod flew off in the direction of the rendezvous coordinates.

“No.”

“Maybe she’s just meant to stay with you and Trip, T’Pol,” Reed joked, smiling.

Every time Reed said that T’Pol always had some logical retort. When it didn’t come, he looked back at her.

“What happened?”

“I don’t care to discuss it.”

Reed stood and walked over to T’Pol. He stopped short, staring at her black eye. He leaned in to touch it and she ducked her head from his hand. He looked down at Aina. Reed pulled the blanket back and found the child had bruises on her arms. He looked up at T’Pol.

“Dear God! What happened over there, T’Pol?”

“The female was holding Aina and she began whimpering. She hadn’t been changed and it was past the time she usually naps.”

Before Reed’s eyes, the normally calm and collected Vulcan began crumbling. Part of him was honored by the fact she felt comfortable enough with him to show emotions like this. But the other part of him recalled people warning him about what happened when a Vulcan lost control of their emotions and he was alone with one on the verge of a breakdown. Worse yet, Aina was responding to T’Pol’s exposed emotions. Her crying was escalating to ear piercing screaming.

“I told the female to have patience with her because of this. She grew agitated and her husband struck me. She began shaking Aina. I took her from the woman and ran. I should not have met with them like this. I should have insisted you joined us or one of your security or--”

“T’Pol, stop.” Reed rested a hand on her shoulder, crouching down before her.

Her eyes followed him down. He patted her shoulder with a knowing smile.

“You’re upset but that’s past. So now we move on, correct?”

T’Pol nodded.

“Good. And to move on it’s usually a good idea to breath. You’re holding your breath.”

“I am not.”

“Prove me wrong.”

T’Pol released her held breath, looking away from him.

“Scared they might come after us?” Reed asked.

“I don’t know.”

Reed was surprised she was even letting him believe she was scared, but now was not a good time to joke about it. He stood and gently pulled Aina away from T’Pol. She looked up at him, watching him cradle the child in his arms. Reed smiled down at T’Pol.

“I’ll watch her for a bit. Why don’t you meditate or take a nap or do something to relax. I’ll let you know if the baddies come back or Enterprise shows up; although, my money is on Enterprise first.”

T’Pol didn’t respond. Reed walked over to the pilot’s chair and sat down. He gently unwrapped Aina from her blanket and then hoisted her into the air with a “BWOOOOP!”

Aina’s crying faltered in volume.

“Oh Aina! You’ve grown so big!” Reed cried. “Let’s see if you’re any sweeter, eh?” Reed brought her belly down over his mouth and blew hard.

Aina’s crying quickly changed to laughter.

“Now there’s those smiles I’m used to. Genuinely better, isn’t it?”

T’Pol watched the two; her head drifting back against the seat. Aina squealed with glee every time Reed blew against her belly. T’Pol’s eyes drifted shut and the last thing she heard was Aina cry out “DA!”

#

Aina’s crying was like being kicked and jolted Reed into full consciousnesses. He sat up with a gasp. He quickly took in the situation. He was sitting in a small area with one way in and out, which was blocked by lit bars. At the helm was an alien. The ship appeared to be only slightly bigger than a shuttle pod with a tiny galley and a bunk at the front.

Reed started to get up but something grabbed his sleeve. He turned back, finding Aina had a hold of him. He picked her up, getting to his feet. In his arms she began calming. Reed reached out and touched the bars. An electrical shock zapped his hand, traveling through his body and zapping Aina. She started wailing again.

“WOULD YOU THAT THING SHUT UP!” the alien screamed, turning as he stood.

Reed stared at him. He had yellowed bone protruding through his dark, peeling skin, translucent red eyes, and long fingers. His clothes had been patched repeatedly and a large weapon rested on his hip.

“Who are you?” Reed asked. “How did we get here?”

“Make that thing shut up!” the alien ordered.

“She’s scared. Who are you?”

“For the little pablions I’ll get for that creature, you’d better make it shut up before I kill it!”

Reed turned, using his body to shield Aina from the threat of harm. He looked around the cell he was in. It only contained Aina and him. He looked back at the alien.

The alien’s hand was snaking toward a pistol on a shelf near by. Reed started walking Aina, bouncing and talking to her. But his eyes never left the alien. Aina began calming down until she was sniffling.

“I demand to know who you are,” Reed said.

“Demand all you want.” The alien returned to his chair. “I’m not telling you anything.”

“There was another alien with me. Where is she?”

“Vulcans aren’t worth the time it takes trying to sell them! Damn alien’s lucky I didn’t kill it first. Getting too soft.”

“Sell?”

“No one wants a Vulcan for a slave. They’re too mouthy and had to control.”

“And you think humans are better?” Reed snapped.

Aina started whimpering.

“Keep that thing shut up or I’m killing it!”

Reed turned his attention back to Aina. “She’s just a child.”

“Then she might sell good after all. Children are easy to teach manners to.”

Reed looked at the alien. “My crew will come after us.”

“You a captain, huh?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“You said ‘my crew.’”

Reed didn’t reply. He decided to stop talking. The alien looked back at him.

“Captain or not, I’ll get good money for you. If nothing else, you’ll sell for meat.”

Reed glared at him. The alien laughed. There was nothing nice in the tone of it. He turned his attention back to piloting, leaving Reed and Aina alone for now.

#

T’Pol woke to someone gently patting her face.

“T’Pol, wake up,” Trip’s voice said.

“Give her a minute, Commander,” Phlox told him.

She opened her eyes. She was on the floor with Trip kneeling beside her. He stopped patting her face when her eyes were fully open. Phlox came into sight behind Trip.

“Where are we?” she asked.

“On Enterprise. Malcolm was calling for a mayday and the message cut out. When we got to the shuttle pod, you were the only one in it. Travis found a warp signature and is following it now.”

T’Pol sat up, looking around her. “I remember hearing Lieutenant Reed tell me to wake up and hearing Aina crying, but nothing else. Do you know if it was the couple I met with who attacked us?”

“In the mayday Malcolm said an unknown ship was attacking.”

T’Pol sat up and started to get to her feet. Trip took her arm, helping her.

“Why wasn’t Aina with the aliens? Why would they have attacked you? And how did you get a black eye?”

“They were unsuitable as parents and when I left it was not on the best of terms.”

Trip grabbed her arm, stepping around in front of her. She looked up at him.

“I need more than that, T’Pol. What happened?”

“You have questioned me every time I’ve brought her back.”

“That’s because you always find something wrong with every couple you meet. They’re too short or don’t talk right or look at her wrong. The list goes on and on.”

“They struck me and they shook her because she was fussing. Do you believe such people should care for a child?”

Trip’s verbal attack dissipated. “No. They don’t sound like good parents.”

“I realize you think I’m being overly scrupulous in my search for parents for the child, but I accepted the responsibility to place her in a good home. Until I find parents suitable, I will not do so.”

“Ever think of asking some Vulcans to take her in?”

“I have never heard of a Vulcan adopting an alien child.” Trip started to respond. “Trip, this conversation is concluded for the time. We must find Aina and Lieutenant Reed.”

T’Pol pulled away, walking around him. Trip stood where he was, pressing his lips together. He looked up, watching Phlox slowly approach.

“She’s attached to that kid, you know,” Trip said.

“I know.”

“It could be good for her, if she’d just admit it to herself. For both of us, even.”

“Perhaps.”

“You’re not going to get involved in this, are you? Even if I ask you to?”

“No. This is not a matter I belong in, as a doctor or a friend. This is a matter you two must resolve by your own means. Perhaps you should speak to Captain Archer? He’s lucid most of the time. That’s why I moved him back into his quarters.”

Trip shook his head. He has enough to deal with. He doesn’t need a marital spat added. Thanks anyway Doc.”

Trip patted his shoulder as he walked away.

#

Reed woke up when a foot kicked his leg. He looked up at his kidnapper. The alien dropped a tray of food on the floor next to the bunk. Aina was lying next to Reed and the tray hitting the floor spooked her awake. The alien left, tapping a control. The bars of light closed the opening.

Aina started crying. Reed sat up, sliding his hand under Aina’s bottom as he cradled her into his arms. He made a face, feeling her bloated, squishy diaper. He stood, walking to the bars.

“I need a diaper,” Reed told the alien.

The alien glanced at him.

“I need a diaper for the baby.”

The alien didn’t even look at him this time.

“Fine. She’ll keep crying until I get one.” Reed turned.

“What’s a diaper?” the alien asked.

Reed looked back. The kidnapper was watching Reed.

“For now, a large piece of cloth and something to hold it around her.”

The alien got up and dug out a towel and some kind of tape. He tossed the items through the bars at Reed’s feet.

“I’m going to need more than this,” Reed argued.

“No you won’t.”

“You clearly don’t know much about children. If she...”

“I know that you and that child will be off this ship in another hour, so I really don’t care. Just keep it quiet!”

“Why? What happens in an hour?”

The alien looked at Reed, grinning. It was cold, full of evil knowledge. “You’re owners are meeting us in an hour.”

Reed’s mouth went dry as a chill went through him. He held Aina a little tighter for comfort.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.