Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"S.A.M. 92"
By A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Armory officer Malcolm Reed is accidentally exposed to toxic pollen on an uninhabited and begins behaving strange. The situation turns critical when he kidnaps Archer and Hoshi and returns to the planet.


CHAPTER 4

Malcolm sat on the floor, leaning against his bunk. He had a pillow hugged to his chest. The only light was the dim light coming from the bathroom. His doorbell beeped. He closed his eyes. It beeped again and his hands tensed on the pillow. There was a long silence and he almost relaxed, until the doorbell beeped again.

“GO AWAY!” Malcolm screamed.

The door opened. He didn’t look up. The person walked in, concealed by the darkness. Malcolm glowered up at them.

“Get. Out.”

The person stepped into the light. He stared at himself.

“I SAID GET OUT!” Malcolm screamed at himself.

His twin sat down next to him without a word. Malcolm started to move away. His twin grabbed his wrist and looked at him. His twin opened his mouth and purple pollen disguising billions of nanobots sprayed out. Malcolm screamed and tried to get away.

“Malcolm! Malcolm, wake up!”

#

Malcolm came out of the nightmare swinging. Archer deflected the blow and grabbed Malcolm before he fell off the bio-bed. Malcolm pulled back, staring wide-eyed at Archer. He looked around Sickbay, expecting to see his nightmare twin. But the brightly lit room only revealed Archer standing shirtless beside him and Phlox across the room watching him. Archer’s stab wound was swollen, bruised around the edges and ugly to look at.

Malcolm closed his eyes, tears running down his face. “I am deeply sorry, sir.”

“For what?”

“Hurting you. I tried to stop it, but I—”

“Malcolm.”

“Sir, I—”

“Malcolm, look at me.”

Malcolm opened his eyes.

“You have nothing to apologize for. No one blames you and no one ever did. Stop blaming yourself.”

Malcolm closed his eyes.

“Go back to sleep.”

Malcolm didn’t respond. Archer walked over to a stool next to Phlox and sat down. Archer didn’t take his eyes off Malcolm. Phlox resumed scanning his stab wound. He sat the scanner down and began cleaning and bandaging it.

“The nightmares are going to last a while, aren’t they?” Archer asked.

“Most likely. He told me he saw everything, but he had no control of his own body.” Phlox paused when Archer winced, dropping his shoulder down to avoid Phlox’s gentle hands cleaning the wound. “It will be a while.”

“Are they almost gone?”

“Almost. Another few treatments should rid his body of them. Then comes the hard work; repairing the mechanical parts they built. He’ll be in Sickbay and off duty for several months.”

“Better that than losing him to those things.”

Phlox smiled, nodding. “I agree. You’re done.” Phlox began cleaning up.

Archer stood and put his shirt back on. He picked up a stack of PADDs and a stool. He walked over to Malcolm’s bed and sat down next to him, going back to work. He didn’t see Malcolm startle awake.

“Captain?” Malcolm whispered.

Archer looked at him. “Yes?”

“You’re staying?”

“Yeah. I’m working in here all day.”

Malcolm nodded, closing his eyes. Archer waited until he was sure Malcolm was asleep again before turning back to his work.


Back to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.