Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Storm Within"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip decides they're going to help an ill-prepared planet prepare for an oncoming hurricane. He never expected Archer's experiences with the Xindi would cause him to lash out at this race and abandon Trip when he questions Archer's orders.


CHAPTER 1

The planet was a blue marble hanging in space that could have been mistaken for Earth, except that there was more water than land mass. A couple of the islands were the size of Australia, but most weren’t much bigger than Tahiti or Haiti. Many of the islands had steep sloped mountains, most likely dormant or extinct volcanoes, rising up in the middle and frosted with bright white snow. The majority of the islands had cities, with pale colored buildings gleaming into space.

Archer smiled, ‘I bet you can see the beach from everywhere in the cities.

“Is this the planet the beacon indicated?” he asked Hoshi.

“Yes, sir. Dawue.”

“Bet they have a lot of marine activity,” Trip said.

Archer smiled, nodding. “I hope so. Contact the Governor, Hoshi.”

Hoshi obeyed. “I’m getting a response, sir.”

A humanoid alien appeared on the screen. He had a slightly sagging jaw and fish shaped eyes. His skin was tinted a light blue, like a human deprived of oxygen.

“I’m Captain Jonathan Archer. Are you Governor Truko?”

“He died months ago. I’m Governor Niganc. What do you want?” he snapped.

Archer’s hackles flared, but he kept his smile plastered on his face. “We came across one of your beacons on the edge of this solar system. It had a recording mentioning your interest in meeting other races.”

“Oh. I’d forgotten that was deployed.” Niganc looked off screen, motioning to someone. He sighed, looking back at Archer. “Ignore it.”

“We are interested in meeting other species.”

“I have over twenty thousand Dawue to worry about!” he snarled haughtily. “Go. Away.” The screen went back to show the planet.

“Captain,” T’Pol said.

He looked back at her. She nodded slightly at the view screen and he looked back. The screen changed to an infrared scan and on it was a massive swirl.

“It is a hurricane on the border of the night side. It will come into view in another thirty minutes, but if my first estimations are correct, it is headed toward the largest city on the planet. Most likely the twenty thousand Dawue that Governor Niganc is concerned about.”

The image changed to show an island that was slowly moving into sunlight.

“That thing looks like a category four or five,” Trip commented.

“It is currently forty-eight point two kilometers across with wind speeds at approximately two hundred and seventeen point two. I believe that classifies it as a category five, Commander.”

Trip stood, walking over to T’Pol’s station. Archer looked back at the two. He turned, heading back to his chair.

“Travis, take us back--”

“Captain, there is no major landmasses between this hurricane and that city,” Trip said. “And it’s headed into warmer water.”

Archer looked at him. “What does that mean?”

“It means that it’s going to pick up wind speed and grow as it comes across this warm water. That city is a sitting duck.”

“Aren’t you my chief engineer, not my meteorologist?”

Trip’s eyes narrowed a little. “Remember that I grew up in Florida? Anyone from the Gulf Coast region is more than familiar with what makes these things tick.”

“I’m sure these people are familiar with them, too, and Governor Niganc made it clear he doesn’t want us around.”

“We should at least ask if they could use some supplies or maybe we can use the shuttles to help them move people. If I knew this thing was coming, I’d want help. Wouldn’t you?”

Archer looked back at the screen. Trip wouldn’t let this go, and he knew he should probably at least try to offer help. Ever since they got back from the Expanse and left Earth, he’d been less inclined to help anyone, especially if they appeared not to want his help.

“Hoshi, hail him again,” Archer ordered.

Trip walked around to join Archer. The screen changed to show Governor Niganc.

“I SAID--” Niganc started to yell.

Archer opened his mouth to order the transmission ended.

“Look, Governor,” Trip blurted, “We see there’s a hurricane headed toward a big city and we just want to help. We have two shuttles and could help move people before it makes landfall.”

Niganc stopped talking, staring at him. “What is a hurricane? What is landfall?”

“Well, you probably call it something else, but that big mass of swirling clouds is what we call a hurricane back home. I’m sure you know about it, but--”

“You... Know about these kind of metrological disturbance?” There was a hint of hope in the alien’s tone.

“Yeah. I mean, I’m no meteorologist, but I grew up with these things and lived through a few. I guess you’re new here, but people can survive them with the right preparations. What have you done to prepare for it? Have you evacuated everyone at sea level? Have residence been alerted so they can board up their homes and business? Have your meteorologists forecasted what they think it will be when it comes onto land? Have they guessed what the height of the waves will be when the--”

“I’ve never heard of any of this.” Niganc leaned in. “I do not ask for help, but--”

“’nough said. We can be there in twenty minutes.”

Archer stood, not happy with Trip for making promises without asking.

Niganc nodded a little. Tersely he told Trip, “I’m transmitting landing coordinates. My lead meteorologists will meet you there.”

Trip looked at Archer. “A Billy Goat Gruff invitation is better than none. I have a few crewmen in mind to take with me.”

“Next time, confer with me before you make promises Trip.”

Trip looked back at him. “Can we help them?”

“We’ll do what we can, but we’re leaving when it’s within four hundred kilometers. T’Pol, monitor the hurricane and keep us posted. Malcolm, you’re with us.”

Trip and Reed followed Archer onto the lift.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.