Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Storm Within"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip decides they're going to help an ill-prepared planet prepare for an oncoming hurricane. He never expected Archer's experiences with the Xindi would cause him to lash out at this race and abandon Trip when he questions Archer's orders.


CHAPTER 4

Archer pushed through the Dawue, looking for Trip. The blowing wind and driving rain made it hard to see anything. He finally spotted the Starfleet colors and pushed his way through. Archer stopped short when he was able to see Trip. Trip held the bag open and Governor Niganc was shoveling in sand. Archer walked up to them. Both looked at him, but neither stopped.

“What are you doing here?” Trip asked. “And I’m not leaving.”

“I’m not here to ask you to leave. I’m here to help. Most of the crew is.”

Trip and Niganc looked up, surprised. Trip shook his off.

“We need to raise this bank another two feet.” Trip motioned to the bank nearby. “There’s an orphanage and hospital below. The kids they can’t move are critical.”

“I’ll shovel, Governor,” Archer said, holding his hand out.

Niganc handed the shovel over and disappeared into the crowd. Archer shoveled up a scoop of sand and dirt from the pile before him. He stopped after he dumped it in. Trip looked up.

“I’m sorry, Trip,” Archer said.

“You should be. You were acting like a horse’s ass.”

Archer smiled. “Thanks for the reminder. And I promised to bring you back in one piece, so let’s get this done in a hurry.”

Trip smiled. “I’d give anything to be dry and back with my girl right now.”

Archer turned, scooping dirt and sand again.

#

Archer looked up when Trip ran past with two Dawue. He sat the bowl in his hand on the floor to join them. He found them crowded around a monitor and Garuc.

“It’s shrinking?” Archer heard Trip asked.

He pressed in close, staring at imaging being sent from Enterprise. The hurricane was starting to dissipate.

Trip smiled, patting Garuc’s shoulder.

“This is a good thing?”

“A very good thing. It means that the island we evacuated won’t be damaged. By the time this gets to it, it’ll just be rain and a little wind.”

Garuc laughed, looking back at the screen.

“Now we’ll have to check those weather spheres and--” Trip stopped, looking back at Archer. “With your permission, sir, I’d like to see if we can’t help them fix those weather spheres.”

“Permission granted.”

Garuc suddenly jumped up and hugged Trip. Trip laughed, looking out the bunker door. The city was all but gone from the wind damage. But the twenty thousand were alive, right down to Garuc’s newborn son.

Garuc ran over to another Dawue, the two talking fast. Archer walked up beside Trip, watching the two.

“These people never would have survived if you hadn’t stayed and made me think about why I left you here.” Archer looked out the door and then Trip. “But if you ever yell at me like that in front of crew again, I will toss your ass in the brig.”

Trip grinned. “Aye, sir.”

Archer shook his headed, walking outside. He said out loud, “Governor Niganc, we’re going to stay for a few more days and see if we can’t get those spheres working.”

“Then we have a reason to celebrate!” Niganc cried.

Yes. We have a reason to celebrate. Archer is coming back.’ Trip sighed, following Archer.


Back to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.