Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Strike Three"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: A prank goes very wrong, Malcolm teases Archer for not listening to him, Hoshi helps save a town, the men suffer the women's wraith, and Hoshi's pen pal has returned...


Erinyes (7)

“Good morning Patty,” Trip said to Ensign Loveless as he walked into the laboratory.

“What’s so good about it, sir?” Patty snarled. She viciously stabbed at the dirt in the tray in front of her with a garden spade, scooped up some and sprinkled it into a petri dish beside the tray.

“I…well…it’s here!” Trip beamed.

Patty looked over her shoulder at him with a sinister look. “Can I help you, Commander Tucker?”

“Lieutenant Anderson wanted me to hook up another power duct. Do you know where?” Trip asked.

Patty pointed in across the room with the garden spade in her hand. “Over there, sir.”

Trip looked in the direction and smiled. “That’s pretty general. Can you maybe show me where exactly he wanted it?”

Patty dropped the spade with a hefty sigh, turned and stormed across the room. She stopped by the wall and pointed to the spot that was marked on the wall. Trip followed her, keeping at a safe distance

“Here, sir,” Patty turned to face him. “Anything else, sir?”

“Did I do something to offend you?” Trip asked.

“No, sir.”

“Are ya mad at someone?”

Patty heaved a heavy angry sigh. “No. Sir.”

“That’ll be all, Ensign.”

Patty walked back to the soil samples she was working with. Trip started working on the duct deciding that whatever he’d done, he didn’t want to find out about because he didn’t feel like correcting anymore.

#

Trip stepped into the dining room and stopped short, surprised to see Doctor Phlox sitting across the table.

“Hello, Doctor,” Trip said, sitting down in his usual chair to Archer’s left.

An Ensign came in and sat a plate of food in front of Trip. Trip unfolded his napkin in his lap and dug into the plate of food.

“Hello, Commander Tucker,” Doctor Phlox said, smiling.

“How was your day?” Archer asked Trip.

Trip smiled, laughing a little when he asked, “Did you demote me or something, tell everyone and forget to tell me?”

“No. Why?”

“I have been under fire all day! It’s like all the women on Enterprise have suddenly turned into these green-eyed, snarling monster! Except for the Jit and T’Pol. I have been snapped at, snarled at, yelled at, tongue lashed, and scolded all day!” Trip pointed to his collar pips, “And these pips on my collar, they’ve meant nothin’ today.”

Archer shrugged his eyebrows, “Perhaps Starfleet demoted both of us and forgot to tell us, Trip. I had the same experience today.”

In a matter-of-fact tone Doctor Phlox stated, “The women are at the end of their ovulation cycle.”

Archer and Trip dropped their forks and looked at Doctor Phlox with open surprise.

“I really didn’t need to know that right now,” Trip said.

All of them?” Archer asked. He picked up his fork and stabbed a bite of salad.

“Yes, most of them,” Doctor Phlox answered. “That’s why I asked if I could dine with you tonight, Captain. I have spent most of the day experiencing the same emotional distress Commander Tucker and yourself have experienced, including some tears,” Doctor Phlox patted his shoulder. “It’s a good thing I have a well PADDed shoulder and lots of tissues.”

“So you’re hiding from the furies, huh?” Trip laughed. He picked up his glass of tea and swallowed a sip.

“Are you are referring to the Erinyes, or furies, of Earth’s Greek mythology, Commander?”

Trip sat his glass aside. “They appeared pretty similar to me today.”

“However they are minus the snakes for hair,” Doctor Phlox jested.

Trip smiled. “Better watch it. That may crop up sometime during their sleep tonight.” Trip picked up his fork and resumed eating his supper.

“That would be a fascinating medical case,” Doctor Phlox chuckled.

“That explains why Hoshi was unusually disrespectful today,” Archer thought out loud.

“Yes, it does,” Doctor Phlox said.

Trip laughed, “And it was such a great idea to have co-ed ships way back when.”

“And it still is,” Archer shot back brusquely. “It just means us men end up getting a little more…sensitized.” He smiled.

The three laughed.

“Browbeat is more like it,” Trip chuckled.

“After what I’ve witnessed in the last seven years, I wouldn’t want to see a Denobulan woman with this hormonal imbalance every month,” Doctor Phlox commented.

“Is it normal for all of them to…” Trip paused, thought about the words he wanted and then continued. “Be hormonally imbalance at the same time?”

“Well, I have read several studies that have suggested that when human women are in a group for a lengthy time their ovulation cycles will eventually—”

“Okay! Enough of this topic,” Archer laughed.

“We should talk about something more manly, sir?” Trip joked.

“Anything but that,” Archer said.

Trip looked at Doctor Phlox, grinning, “Have any blood gushing wou—”

“TRIP!” Archer laughed. “Stop. Before I kick you back out there with the furies.”

“You’d better heed his warning, Commander.” Doctor Phlox smiled. “As you humans say, it’s a jungle out there.”

“Especially today.” Trip smiled at Doctor Phlox. “Any news from home, Doctor?”

Doctor Phlox smiled, and began discussing current events of his home.


Back to Chapter 6
Continue to Chapter 8

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.