Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

THE BITTER
By A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Trip visits an alien's ship to help repair their warp engine, but he quickly finds their chief engineer has no intention of making his job easy.


CHAPTER 2

Trip stood at the control panel on the railing surrounding the warp drive. Sweat from his chest, back, neck and armpits has turned his light colored, short-sleeved shirt almost black. He pulled a rag from his back pocket and wiped his face before looking up the warp drive in front of him.

“Engineering to the bridge,” Trip said.

“Go ahead, Commander,” Pah’pr replied.

“Let’s giver her a trial run. We’ll try warp one.”

“Why warp one?” Jahk’pr asked with a mocking tone.

“Because at warp one we can stop if something goes wrong,” Trip looked back at Jahk’pr. He was standing at a control panel behind Trip. “Unless you wanna destroy yourself, the crew, and the ship.”

“I did not suggest that,” Jahk’pr replied haughtily. “Perhaps you should focus on your task, Commander Tucker.”

Trip looked away without comment.

“We are prepared to go to warp one,” Pah’pr informed Trip. “Perhaps we should leave helm controls in engineering for you?”

Trip smiled. “I trust Fye’h’s flying. Just tell him to be ready to hit the brakes if I start shouting.”

“Hit the brakes?”

“Stop.”

“He says he will be prepared.”

Trip looked down at the controls and tapped several spots on the screen. “Okay, Fye’h, bring her up nice and easy to warp one.”

After several minutes, the whine of the warp drive was heard.

“Aws’tp, how’s it looking over there?”

Aws’tp leaned to the side. “All readings are within normal limitations, Commander.”

Trip looked back at his controls. “Okay, let’s get a little ambitious. Feel comfortable going to warp three Fye’h?”

“He said he does,” Pah’pr replied.

Trip rolled his eyes. ‘Maybe Fye’h could answer for himself?’ Trip leaned to the side, catching Aws’tp’s eye. “Alert me if any warnings go off.”

“Yes, Commander,” Aws’tp replied.

The whine increased in pitch.

“We are at warp three. Opening her up to warp four.” Trip waited for several minutes. He leaned to the side, looking at Aws’tp. “We’re at warp four. How’s it looking?”

She smiled, looking up. “Everything is within normal operating limits, Commander. So far we’re doing well.”

“Perhaps we should go to warp six, Captain,” Jahk’pr proposed.

Trip looked back. Jahk’pr smiled, but it was cold and hateful.

“Commander, how do you feel about that?” Pah’pr asked.

Trip looked at Aws’tp. “How far are we in the normal?”

She looked at her controls. “All readings are well within normal operating limits.”

“Nothing is even close to critical?”

“No.”

“Going to warp six,” Trip said. “At the first sign of anything going into critical, tell me Aws’tp.”

“Yes, Commander.”

Trip waited but no one said anything.

“The top speed of your engine is six point eight, right?” Trip asked Aws’tp.

“You did not read that?” Jahk’pr snapped.

“Correct, Commander,” Aws’tp answered.

“And there are no readings showing things out of normal?” Trip asked her.

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Commander. I am looking at the monitor and nothing is showing out of normal operating limits.”

Trip reached out, tapping the controls. “I’m bringing her out of warp, Cap’n.”

“Is something wrong?”

“There should be some rise in those operation readouts. They should be close to critical, if not already in the critical zone.”

“He is doubting his work, Captain,” Jahk’pr incited.

Trip spun around. “Look, Jahk’pr, you’ve been a senior engineer for a year, I’ve been one for thirteen. A warp engine running at top speed should, at the very least, show the warp coil temperature rising to critical. That means there is something in this engine that is malfunctioning or something in the sensors malfunction. I’m picking this engine and those sensors apart until I find it.”

“Commander, perhaps Jahk’pr is correct,” Pah’pr said.

Trip spun around, staring at the companel. “What?”

“You may be doubting your repairs. You have made extraordinary progress in the last three days ago. Perhaps you did fix everything that was wrong with it.”

“Cap’n Pah’pr, I mean no disrespect by disagreeing with you, but I don’t believe this engine is operating within normal capacity yet. I’m telling you, at warp six, those readouts should have shown something.”

Pah’pr didn’t reply immediately. He cleared his throat. “Commander, when did you rest last?”

“Sir?”

“Reply, Commander.”

“I…don’t remember.”

“I think you need to take a rest, Commander. Take a rest and then return to this project in the morning. I may not be a warp drive engineer, but even I can hear you are tired and you need it. You will, as you said, pick the engine and sensors apart, and we will run another test. If the readouts remain the same, then the only logical conclusion is that you have succeeded to repair our warp drive.”

Trip smiled a little. “And I can hear T’Pol saying those exact words. Okay. That’s a fair trade, Captain.”

“Good. Get some rest and relax. Perhaps this evening you would like to try out the holographic recreation room?”

“I’d like that, Cap’n.”

“I will send someone by to show it to you.”

“Thank you. Engineering out.”

Trip leaned on the railing, letting out a tired sigh. He looked over his shoulder at Jahk’pr. The Arestak was working on something, ignoring Trip.

I’ll never forgive you if whatever you did to this engine, boy, kills this crew,’ Trip thought.

Jahk’pr looked up and then at Trip. Trip looked away.

#

Trip sat in a chair, with his feet up on the desk, reading a PADD. He was dressed in a muscle shirt, shorts and sandals. A breeze from the environment duct above him was blowing cold air down on him.

The doorbell beeped and without looking away from his PADD Trip replied, “Come in.”

The door opened and the person entered.

“How can I help ya?” Trip asked.

“Why is it so cold in here?” Jahk’pr asked.

Trip rolled his eyes, but answered, “Because it’s so hot everywhere else. What can I do for you, Jahk’pr?”

“I was ordered to take you to the holographic recreation room,” Jahk’pr’s voice replied.

Trip’s eyes slowly drifted up from the PADD in his hand to the wall. ‘Aw shit!’ He shook his head a little.

“That’s okay,” Trip replied. “I’m busy so you’re off the hook. Thanks for asking.”

“I was not asking. I was ordered to entertain you for the evening.”

Trip’s brow furrowed. “You’re telling me Captain Pah’pr ordered you to have some fun?” Trip looked back at Jahk’pr. “Doesn’t this tell you something?”

Jahk’pr drew himself to attention. “It tells me that my captain ordered me to entertain you for the evening. What are you implying it means?”

“Don’t pay any mind to what I’m implying, but I’m not interested in going. I’m busy.” Trip waved the PADD in his hand.

Jahk’pr reached out, snatched the PADD from Trip’s hand, and hurled onto the bed. He leaned over, glaring into Trip’s own glare.

“I was ordered to do this, and since you’ve already made me look lazy and incompetent. I will drag you to the recreation room if I have to. I will not be made a fool of by you once again.”

Trip smirked. “Oh, I think you were doing a fine job of that before I got here, Jahk’pr.”

“Are you insulting me?”

“Did it sound like an insult?”

“Yes.”

“There ya go.”

“And what does it mean?”

“It means your crew hates you.”

“They told you this, I suppose?”

“They don’t havta.” Trip rose, looking down on Jahk’pr. “I can see it. Course that could have a lot to do with you being such a dick to everyone!”

Trip turned and walked to the door. He stopped in the hall, smiling at two Arestak that passed. He looked back, meeting Jahk’pr’s eyes.

“Well?” Trip asked.

“Well what?”

“Are you gonna show me the holographic recreation room? That’s if you aren’t busy.”

Jahk’pr walked out into the hall, holding Trip’s gaze until he turned to lead the way. Trip fell in behind him, sliding his hands into his pockets. Jahk’pr stopped at a door and turned to wait for Trip to join him. He tapped the control by the door and the two entered a room.

Trip looked around the room, careful to hide how interested in this he really was. He didn’t want Jahk’pr to even guess he had been dying to see this room.

“Computer,” Jahk’pr said. The computer beeped in response. “Display Ede’thif.”

A holograph of an Arestak city appeared around them. The street Trip stood on was bustling with Arestak and he couldn’t hide his wonder. He caught sight of a rock formation behind a building.

“What are the rock formations?” Trip pointed to it.

“They are geological formations.”

“They look manmade.”

“The entire moon has them. They are on nearly all the plateaus.”

Trip walked along the street, Aware of Jahk’pr trailing behind him. He came to a bridge that spanned a chasm.

“What’s this?” Trip asked, motioning to the chasm.

“The areas we built cities on are plateaus,” Jahk’pr explained, “Which have these chasms between them. Some go to the core, but most only go several hundred meters.”

“Only? That’s a big only.”

“This one goes to the core. If you go to the center of the bridge you may be able to see the magma below.”

“This is a holograph.”

“It is an accurate holograph.”

“Is it safe?”

“Yes. Safeties are still on.”

Trip walked around to the bridge and out to the middle. He stepped up to the railing, looking over the edge of the bridge. It appeared that there was magma hundreds of meters below and from the perceived distance he stood at, it was a thin red-orange line. Trip looked up when he heard Jahk’pr say something and had only a moment to see the Arestak was smiling evilly.

The bridge disappeared from underneath him, sending him plunging into the chasm. Trip didn’t even have time to scream before he hit something solid. He looked up and found he was lying on an invisible surface. The chasm stretched below him and the magma at the bottom was still a thin line of light. Trip slowly got to his feet and stood for a minute to gather his nerves. His anger was right on the heels of his fleeting terror.

Trip turned, finding Jahk’pr standing at the edge of the chasm and the city gone. The land was left barren, as it had been before it was colonized. Trip stormed over to Jahk’pr, whose calm expression didn’t change even when Trip grabbed his shirt and yanked him forward.

“What the hell did you do that for? You think that was funny!?”

A cold smile settled on Jahk’pr’s lips. “I did find it rather amusing.”

“I could have been hurt!”

“The safeties are on. You would not have received any injury even if you had fallen to the bottom.”

Trip pushed him away. “The hell with you! How the hell do I get out of here?”

“You cannot leave for another forty-five minutes,” Jahk’pr told him.

“And why’s that?”

“I am to allow you to explore the recreation room for an hour. You are not leaving until it has been an hour. I follow orders.”

“I WANT OUT OF HERE!”

Jahk’pr didn’t reply.

Trip turned and put his hands on his hips, shaking his head a little. The two were silent for several minutes. Trip sighed.

“Show me something else then,” Trip demanded, “Anything but this place.”

“Anything?”

“Except a desert.”

“Computer, display Arestak as it is now.”

The scene changed and Trip found himself standing in the middle of a lava field. He closed his eyes.

“I shoulda known.”

“You should have known what?”

Trip looked over his shoulder at Jahk’pr. “Aren’t there any holographs with trees, or water, or grass?”

Jahk’pr walked up to Trip. “We did not come from any place with trees, water, or grass.”

Trip’s anger was forgotten. The statement intrigued him.

“There were never any trees on your home world before it started erupting?” Trip looked around him. “Or whatever they call it.”

“It is called zji’pegh,” Jahk’pr said. “Anger of the gods.” Jahk’pr looked around him. “The lands began to crack open and fire rose up to engulf the cities and our ancestors fled to other stars.”

“What was it like before that?”

“Computer, display Arestak three-hundred years ago.”

The two were standing on the top of a sand dune. Trip turned, looking in all directions. There was nothing but blue sky and sand as far as the eye could see. He looked at Jahk’pr.

“I said I didn’t wanna visit a desert,” Trip reminded Jahk’pr.

“You wanted to know what Arestak looked like before the zji’pegh. Perhaps you should decide what you really want to know.”

“You’re telling me your entire planet was a desert?” Trip looked at Jahk’pr.

“Mostly. There were oases, but not many. My ancestors were a nomadic people and they traveled from oasis to oasis. There were a few cities that developed all technology.”

Trip looked back across the sand, shielding his eyes. “Quite the environment change, I guess.”

“It was.”

The holograph shook suddenly.

On the com a voice yelled, “All hands to stations! We are under attack!”

“Computer—” Jahk’pr began.

The ship rocked again and they both fell onto the sand dune. Jahk’pr stood up.

“Computer, end holo—” Jahk’pr began again.

The ship rocked again. From behind Jahk’pr there was a shower of sparks and for a brief second both saw the door and controls behind the holograph. The ship rocked violently again and the holograph covered the opening.

“Computer, end holograph,” Jahk’pr ordered.

The holograph didn’t end.

“Is it my imagination or is it getting warmer in here?” Trip asked.

“Computer, respond,” Jahk’pr ordered.

The computer didn’t respond.

“Computer, reveal exit.”

The ship rocked again, but the exit didn’t display.

“There has to be a way to get it shut off,” Trip said.

Jahk’pr looked back at him, motioning across the vast expanse around them. “Take your pick. It is either behind sand or sky and because the holograph moves with us, you’ll never get within a body length of the wall.”

The ship rocked violently. Trip fell back and rolled down the dune. Jahk’pr lost his balance on the next hit and landed in a heap beside Trip. Both stayed down while the ship continued to rock.

#

Captain Pah’pr gripped his chair when a phase cannon blast from the attacking alien ship hit the hull. He turned to the Arestak COM officer behind him.

“Locate Jahk’pr and Commander Tucker,” Pah’pr ordered.

She obeyed.

“Evasive maneuvers. Return fire!”

The ship shook again.

“They are in the holographic recreation room, sir,” the COM officer reported. “I am not getting a response.”

“The holographic computer is off line,” another Arestak said. “They probably have no communications in there nor can they get out.”

Pah’pr shook his head. “Pah’pr to Engineering.”

“Responding, Captain,” Aws’tp replied.

“The chief engineers are trapped in the holographic recreation room. Order the crew to maintain engineering as best they can and prepare to go to warp five.”

“Captain, Commander Tucker warned us about going to warp—”

Pah’pr interrupted her. “Aws’tp, we either flee or we die fighting. Which is the most logical choice at the moment?”

“Fleeing, Captain. We will be ready to go to warp in two minutes.”

“Alert me when we are prepared.”

“Compliant, Captain.”

Pah’pr turned his attention back to keeping his ship from being destroyed.

#

Trip opened his eyes. He held his breath, waiting for another hit to rock the ship.

“I think it may be over,” Jahk’pr said, standing up.

Trip got to his knees, looking up at Jahk’pr. “Can we get out of here?”

“Computer, open a com channel to the bridge.”

There was no response. Jahk’pr shook his head, looking down at Trip.

Trip turned, reclining back against the sand dune. “We could have at least been trapped somewhere… nicer.”

“What are you doing?” Jahk’pr asked.

Trip looked up at him. “Waiting it out. What are you doing?”

“Have you not noticed the temperature has risen considerably?”

“Yeah. I have. What do you think I was complaining about? I mean if we had an ocean even, this wouldn’t be so bad. I coulda gone for a swi—”

“The safeties are off, Commander Tucker. We cannot just sit here.”

“What does it mean that ‘the safeties are off’?”

“It means that the computer is making the holographic identical to the real thing. The temperature is going to get over forty-one degrees.”

Trip sat up. “There’s no way to stop it?”

“Not until the computer is cycled off.”

“Well, it’ll only be a few hours, won’t it?”

“Maybe. Then again, maybe not.”

Trip looked up at the cloudless blue sky. ‘I am going to sock this kid! This whole week is just one really bad joke. Someone up there hates me. I just know they do! What did I do, exactly, to deserve this? Anyone up there can answer that? Even if it’s a lie, I’d take the lie to nothing right now! I mean, here I am, stuck in a fake desert that feels like a real desert with a spoiled, snot nosed, kid that I just want to pelt into a bloody pulp. As if it wasn’t bad enough that the normal environment was the shits, ya’ll up there thought that, as a good joke, you’d add this to the pot? For crying out lou—

Jahk’pr’s voice cut through Trip’s mental tirade, “Commander.”

“What?” Trip snapped.

“We must start walking,” Jahk’pr answered.

“Why?” Trip asked, looking up at him. “We’ll just be walking circles around the room, won’t we?”

“Yes, but we may get to an oasis. There will be shade and water for you there.”

“And then again, we may not. It’s better just to sit and wait it out.”

“I am not arguing with you.” Jahk’pr turned and started up a sand dune.

Trip Watched Jahk’pr walk away for a moment. He closed his eyes, muttering, “Whatever I did to deserve this must’ve been the ultimate sin!”

Trip got up and followed Jahk’pr. “You’d better hope we find an oasis, Jahk’pr, or I promise I’ll never let you hear the end of it. I am sick and tired of your attitude, Jahk’pr!”

Jahk’pr stopped, looking at Trip, “I am sick of your voice. Perhaps, based on that, there is a chance we can be friends yet.”

Trip stopped, narrowing his eyes, “How do you figure that?”

“We both have something we hate in the other. Aren’t friendships based on mutual agreements?” Jahk’pr smirked. “Of course, that is being optimistic and that is not in my nature.” Jahk’pr turned and started walking again.

“There’s a lot of things not in your nature,” Trip shot back. “Humor is one of them.”

The two continued walking in silence.

#

Pah’pr leaned on the railing in front of the view screen. He looked at Aws’tp.

“Perhaps you are feeling especially kind today, Aws’tp.”

She looked at him. “Captain?”

“I do not want to tell Captain Archer his senior engineer is trapped in our recreation room in a desert. If they still are in a desert, that is.”

Aws’tp smiled. “I wish you grace and dignity, Captain. However, judging from what I have seen of Commander Tucker, I do not think Captain Archer will strike at us for what has happened.”

Pah’pr smiled. “I hope you are correct, Aws’tp.”

“Enterprise is within range and responding to our hail,” the officer to Pah’pr’s right said.

“Open the channel.”

Enterprise’s bridge appeared on the view screen. Archer was standing beside helm control and smiling.

“I’m surprised to hear from you so early, Captain Pah’pr,” Archer said, “How are repairs on your warp drive coming?”

“Not well, I’m afraid.” Pah’pr stood up straight. “We encountered some hostile aliens returning to rendezvous coordinates, Captain Archer.”

Archer’s smile began to lose intensity. “Was Trip hurt?”

“I do not believe so, however, I cannot be certain. He and my senior engineer were in the recreation room when we were attacked. They are trapped in the room.”

“And why do I get the sense this is not an ideal place to be trapped?”

“The last log to the main computer showed that they had entered a holograph of Arestak three hundred years before it became volcanically active. It was eighty percent desert then. Your officer, according to your doctor, does not cope well with dry, arid climates and high temperatures.”

Archer had looked away before Pah’pr finished. “And he may be trapped in the desert with your chief engineer?”

“Yes.”

“What were they doing in the room? It doesn’t sound like it had anything to do with the warp engine.”

“Commander Tucker had expressed interest in the room to Assistant Aws’tp,” Pah’pr motioned to Aws’tp at his side, “so I asked my senior engineer to show it to him. They both needed a rest period from working on the engine. It has been frustrating both engineers I am told.”

“How soon can you get them out?” Archer looked back at Pah’pr.

“I do not know for certain. I have my entire crew working on getting the computer back online, but there are several sub-systems that must be brought back online before that happens and some were damaged in the attack.”

“Is your crew alright? Were there any casualties?”

“No. I did not lose any crew, thankfully.”

“We’ll reach the rendezvous coordinates in ten hours. Are you already there?” Archer asked.

“Yes.”

“Keep me posted.”

“We will.”

“Archer out.”

Pah’pr let his body relax as soon as the view screen changed. Aws’tp smiled when he looked down at her.

“I told you he would not be angry.”

“It could be a trick.”

“No, Captain, it is no trick.” Aws’tp looked at the view screen. “The only time I ever saw Commander Tucker angry was when Jahk’pr made a very unpleasant and distasteful remark about Commander Tucker’s scent right after he had bathed. He muttered something about ‘Flattening him out if he made a rude comment about him or his race again.’” Aws’tp smiled up at Pah’pr. “The next time Jahk’pr made a remark, Commander Tucker did nothing.”

Pah’pr looked away. “The more you tell me of the relationship between Jahk’pr and Commander Tucker, Aws’tp, the more am doubting I made an appropriate decision to send them to the room together. Why did you suggest it knowing there was such hostility between them, Aws’tp?”

Aws’tp pulled her hands behind her back, smiling more. “There was something I read in the information Sub-Commander T’Pol gave us about humans that I thought may aid them in resolving their issues. Humans tend to be both prideful and forgiving. There were several reports included where these emotional traits have resolved many problems for them when used together.”

Pah’pr looked down at her, surprised by her comment. “I hope your are correct, Aws’tp, and that they are not in there striking one another to death.”

“If they are, your son will lose, Captain. I must return to engineering now. Good leave, Captain.” She turned and left the bridge.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.