Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Road to Cardion"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: T'Pol and Reed become trapped in the midst of a civil war. -- and yeah, it's almost identical story as the SG1 version cuz it worked in both series quite nicely...


CHAPTER 1

T’Pol let out a sigh through her nose, masking frustration. Trip stopped working, looking up at her.

“What?” he asked, almost snarled.

“I told Ambassador Havet that you and Lieutenant Reed would be meeting him. How do you propose I explain this?”

“Lie. You’ve done it before. Tell him I came down with the flu or died. I don’t really care what you tell him, but I’m not going.”

“I’m ordering you to go.”

Trip spun to his feet at a speed that made T’Pol have to resist stepping back. Trip had never struck her, but his increasingly violent mood swings were making her uneasy.

“Order away, T’Pol. I’m staying on Enterprise.” Trip walked around her, walking to the other end of room.

T’Pol pressed her lips together and followed him. She watched him put the tool away and sit down at a monitor to start working on something. She stood next to his arm, so close that he couldn’t move without running in to her. He stopped what he was doing, looking up.

“I’m not going,” Trip repeated.

“Charles--”

“Are ya deaf?” Trip yelled.

Everyone stopped what he or she was doing. T’Pol pulled her hands behind her back, looking at the floor. She didn’t start talking until the crew returned to their work. She looked at Trip. He was still staring at her.

“I do not know what is agitating you, but it has become problematic. I will go. This time. When I return, I will expect you to have found some way to resolve your issue.”

“I am not leaving the ship as long as the Cap’n isn’t okay. Got that? He needs me here. You have eighty some crewmen that can go down there with you.”

T’Pol leaned in, keeping her voice too low for anyone passing to hear.

“Charles, you know he could be ill for months or years. You have duties and respons--”

“I am not going, T’Pol. You think this trade is important, fine, but you’re going without me. This conversation’s done!”

Trip pushed past her, storming out of the engine room. T’Pol stood for a moment, and then headed to an opposite door.

#

Ambassador Havet watched the monitor on his desk, his lips pressed into a tight line. Long, thin whiskers jutted from under his bottom lip and chin and under his jaw, moving and swaying with every movement of his face. He had a flat nose and egg shaped eyes. His skin, like all Jakisau, radiated with a glowing golden color that sparked in natural light and gleamed under artificial light. Behind him shapes of Jakisau passing could be seen through the translucent wall. His office door opened and he tapped a control, changing the screen. He smiled at T’Pol and Reed as they entered with his secretary.

“Sub-Commander T’Pol and Lieutenant Reed, is it?”

“Yes.”

He walked around his desk to greet them with a short bow at the waist. T’Pol mimicked the greeting, Reed did nothing.

“I’m sorry to hear your other crewman fell ill.”

“Thank you. Did you receive the items for trade?”

“I did!” He smiled, walking back around his desk. He tapped the controls and brought up the list. “I’ve marked what we can use for trade. You’ll receive full market value for the items, after inspection. I’ll arrange a temporary account to be opened so you won’t have to inconvenience yourself with carrying funds with you.” Havet tapped a control. “And I’ve arranged for accommodations at Guidance Officer Regia’s home.” Havet smiled at the two. “And don’t let his wife talk you to death. She loves to entertain. I’m afraid she lives for it.”

“We appreciate your hospitality, Ambassador,” T’Pol told him.

“I’m glad I could assist. You can’t go far without repairs.”

“Indeed.”

The door opened and the four turned. A Jakisau soldier walked in, eying T’Pol and Reed.

“This is my Chief Military Commander, Ardek. I’m afraid he and I have a matter to discuss that requires my immediate attention. Terket,” he motioned to the secretary, “will show you them to Regia’s and tell them when the account is ready.”

“Yes, Your Honor,” she replied.

T’Pol and Reed left with the secretary. Ardek watched them leave before turning to Havet.

“Your Honor, you have to be insane!”

“Hold your tongue, Ardek.”

“Why would you risk allowing aliens to stay here right now?”

“They won’t be long. They didn’t need many supplies and I didn’t feel like being inhospitable. It wouldn’t say much for our species, now would it?”

“What other species think of Jakisau is the least of our concerns right now!”

“I would like to pretend that Ambassador Doshal is not attacking Ambassador Lartiz’s city, even if for a moment. But...” Havet let out a soft sigh. “The truth is he is. I’ve ordered troops to assist holding his borders Ardek, but it doesn’t look promising.”

“If he defeats Lartiz, he’s going to turn his forces on us.”

Havet tapped a control. It showed a battle being fought miles from the city.

“We don’t know that for certain, Ardek.”

“You know he will, Your Honor. Your idea of peace is a threat to all the ambassadors. If Lartiz hadn’t made the speech he had on peace, we’d be the first attacked.”

“Our people must stop warring like this. We can’t afford to continue. Our planet can’t take much more.”

Ardek charged up to the desk and slammed his hands down. “Then bring in the Gartian. Convince them that peace is in our best interest and convince them to help you end these wars once and for all, Your Honor! They can help! The resources they have holed up in their cause could solve everything if you would just convince them to help all sides.”

“You sound like my son, Ardek.”

“That’s because he sees their strength, Your Honor.”

Havet sat down in his chair, shaking his head.

“The Gartian help no one but the dead and to end all this warring would put them out of business.” Havet looked up at Ardek. “And leave corpses scattered across our planet. No, Ardek, the Gartian are not to be allied with. You and my son are both wrong.”

Ardek turned away. “You should take your family and go to the safe house, Your Honor, until we know what the victor’s intentions are.”

“I’m remaining. Take my boys away. See to it that they are safe.”

“As you command, Your Honor.”

“And order more troops to the borders as well. Just in case.”

“As you command, Your Honor.”

“Take leave, Ardek.”

Ardek walked out of the room. Havet looked back at the blood shed on the monitor, watching it with mournful eyes.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.