Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"The Road to Cardion"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: T'Pol and Reed become trapped in the midst of a civil war. -- and yeah, it's almost identical story as the SG1 version cuz it worked in both series quite nicely...


CHAPTER 3

Trip passed the guards without a glance. He didn’t look up as he passed through the door and walked over to the keypad. Trip entered the code and stepped into the cell. He looked up. Archer lay on the bunk, restrained to the bed. He didn’t appear to notice Trip come in, just stared blankly at the ceiling. Trip walked over to the bunk and sat down on the floor. He leaned back against the wall.

“Gotta problem,” Trip said Archer.

Archer didn’t respond.

Trip hugged his knees.

“T’Pol and Malcolm went down to this planet, ya see. A war broke out and the city T’Pol and Malcolm were in got bombed. It’s all rubble down there and Hoshi hasn’t detected their biosigns. We talked to someone, but they shot at us and put up this shielding so we can’t scan. I haven’t heard hide nor hair of them for three days, Cap’n. And all that we can see with visual sensors is fightin’. Lots and lots of fightin’. How long should I wait for them, Cap’n? When should I tell myself that she’s not coming back?”

Archer muttered, “Bionq.”

Trip nodded. “Thought you’d say that, but forever’s too long. You know I can’t do that.” Trip looked at Archer. “Me and T’Pol had a fight before she left. Hate leaving things like that.”

Archer muttered something incoherent. Trip looked down at his legs.

“Love her,” Archer whispered.

Trip closed his eyes. He knew Archer was talking about Bionq, but the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Trip smiled, looking at Archer.

“I love her a lot. Guess I’d better apologize for the fight when she gets back.” Trip looked at the floor again, adding quieter, “If she gets back. God, Jon, if that’s the last thing I end up having told her, I’d...”

“I want my wife,” Archer murmured.

Trip leaned forward, laying his forehead on his knees. “I love, T’Pol. I shoulda told her that before she left.”

Archer continued muttering, occasionally calling for Bionq.

#

Reed was roughly shaken awake. He sat up, staring at Isha, a sixteen year old Jakisau. She was standing at the foot of his bunk, watching him with a cool stare. Point Dasex was the one that had shaken Reed and stepped back. On the other side of the bunk, Commander Gephka, a Jakisau in his late thirties, stood at ease.

“Director Fardo wishes to speak with you and your companion. Come with us,” Isha said.

Reed looked at the bunk next to his. T’Pol sat on the edge of the bunk, watching the Jakisau.

“Your orders, T’Pol?”

She stood and he followed her. The three led them through tunnels into a room of chairs facing a monitor and desk. A tall Jakisau sat on the desk, reviewing PADDs as the Jakisau standing next to him handed them. He looked up, watching the two walk in.

“How are you two feeling?” he asked, motioning to the row of chairs in front. “At ease, soldiers,” he told Isha and the two Jakisau.

Reed glanced back. The three stood at attention, regardless of the order. Reed looked back around, finding T’Pol had sat down in a chair. He sat next to her.

“I assume you’re in command... T’Pol, is it?”

“Yes. I am the senior officer.”

“From what your doctors said, you two had no idea what was happening down here when Ambassador Havet invited you to the surface. I’m sorry to hear you lost your shuttle and supplies.”

A Jakisau rushed into the room and up to Fardo. He whispered to him. Fardo thought for a moment and nodded. The Jakisau rushed out.

“We’re about to move this base. The war is getting too close and only the wounded are remaining behind. However, we’re going deeper inland, so I will send you with a small contingent to the beach. The shielding doesn’t cover the last hundred kilometers to the water, so you’ll be able to contact your ship. You’ll have to be taken further north to be picked up. There’s a Hold near the summit Mount Cardion that has mountain plain above it large enough for one of your shuttles to pick you up.” Fardo stopped when the same Jakisau came in with a PADD. He took it, reading it. He turned to the Jakisau. “Move all forces east. Tell the LC to hold the line until we’ve confirmed all refugees are safely out. Use any means necessary.”

“And the village, sir?”

Fardo sighed, looking at the PADD. “Annihilate slaughter forces, aid walking wounded, and dispose of all others. The line is to maintain position until we’ve confirmed Hold sixty-four is clear.”

The Jakisau took the PADD and left the room at a run. Fardo turned back to the two.

“You’ll leave at dark. That’s another six hours. Bearing, of course, that Ambassador Doshal’s forces don’t break through the front lines. Then we’ll be running out of here. Lead Commander Isha and her team were the ones that found you in the city and have volunteered to take you with them to Cardion.”

“Thank you,” T’Pol told him.

“You’re welcome. Do you two know how to use particle weapons?”

“Yes,” the two replied.

“Good. Isha, have them sent uniforms, packs, and weapons.”

“Uniforms?” Reed asked.

“Yes. What you are wearing will be far too warm and what T’Pol’s wearing would be spotted in seconds. Isha and her team will refer to you as packages one and two. Any questions?”

T’Pol and Reed kept silent.

“Good. See you on the other side, Isha.”

“Yes, sir.”

Reed leaned on his legs, staring at the floor. T’Pol looked at the wall. Reed looked up when Isha walked around in front of them.

“Follow me.”

The two rose and followed her and two Gartian rebels.

#

Reed and T’Pol followed Dasex through tunnels. They came around a corner and ahead was a vine covered opening. Isha and six other Jakisau were waiting.

“Men, this is T’Pol and Malcolm. They are packages one and two. I have determined that they have the necessary skills to assists us in protecting packages three and four. Yemstad, you are assigned to package three and Dasex you will cover package four. Civilians, you have all met Point Dasex and my first in command, Commander Gephka.” She motioned to the two. “This is Point Yemstad, Point Areki, Point Chief Baquelt, and Communications Lead Jajul. The boys are Garut and Wasteq. You will not refer to any of us by rank while we are in the field, no matter what you hear us say. The enemy can use that to their advantage. You will not use the word package at any time, only first names. T’Pol and Malcolm, you are to remain in close proximity of the boys and lay down cover fire only if ordered to do so. Civilians, do you have any questions?”

The two teens, T’Pol, and Reed shook their heads.

“Then we move out.”

Isha turned, pushed the vines aside and the group followed her as ordered.

#

Reed wiped his sleeve across his sweaty brow. He put his hand back on his rifle, watching the dense foliage around him. He glanced back when someone coughed.

“Halt,” Isha quietly said.

Reed looked at her. Her gun drifted up and she aimed ahead of her, using her scope to see ahead of them.

She motioned them to hide in the foliage on either side of the trail. Reed climbed into the foliage with Garut and Point Yemstad. He moved his rifle around, preparing to fire.

A platoon of soldiers came into view. They were walking slowly, eyeing the jungle around them. Reed tensed his jaw as his mouth went dry. They were almost out of sight when Yemstad suddenly cried out, the cry ending in a throaty noise. The last soldier stopped in his tracks and turned. Reed didn’t take his eyes off the soldier. The soldier softly whistled, waving to the soldiers ahead of him. He turned and very slowly started back their direction. A second soldier trotted up to him, watching the first soldier’s back as they walked back down the trail. A hand grabbed Reed’s shoulder and he turned his head

Garut stared, petrified, at Yemstad. A constrictor was slowly wrapping around Yemstad’s neck, strangling him to death. Yemstad began to fight the strangulation. Reed pushed his rifle into Garut’s hands and crawled over him. Reed pulled Yemstad’s knife from the sheath on his belt. He reached out, grabbed the snake behind the jaw and shoved it to the ground, spearing the knife through the serpent's head. Yemstad started to flounder. Reed moved on top of him, using his body to hold Yemstad still. Over his shoulder, he watched the soldiers come closer. Yemstad stopped fighting when they were two meters from them. Reed didn’t move.

The soldiers disappeared back down the trail. Reed slowly moved off Yemstad and began unwrapping the snake from Yemstad’s neck. The soldiers came back into sight and he laid still. They passed the group a fourth time, apparently satisfied there was nothing to find. Reed waited for them to disappear and finished unwrapping the snake’s body from Yemstad. He laid his hand on Yemstad’s shoulder, shaking him. Reed went cold when Yemstad’s head rolled to the side much further than it should have.

Reed looked up when Isha charged up to them. She stopped, staring at Yemstad. She knelt down beside him, laying her hand on his cheek. Her hand drifted down to the patch on his uniform. She ripped it off and pocketed it.

“We have to keep moving. Areki, tend to him.”

Reed stood and followed her back onto the trail. Garut ran up to Reed, handing his rifle back. He took it, watching the wide-eyed teenager.

“Are you okay?” Reed whispered.

Garut looked at him, shaking his head. Reed gave the boy’s shoulder a squeeze to reassure him.

#

The group stopped behind Isha. She used her riflescope to see into the dark jungle around them. She turned to the group.

“We’ll rest for a half hour. Try and get some sleep,” Isha told the group. “Areki, you’ll take first watch. Take a high position.”

“Yes, sir,” Areki said. He disappeared into the trees.

Reed sat down on a patch of grass. He let his head drop, rubbing the back of his neck. Garut sat down next to him, imitating him. Reed smiled.

“How are you now?” Reed asked.

“Better.”

“Good. We’ve some way to go, don’t we?”

Garut nodded. “Why does your voice sound strange?”

“Strange?”

“Yes. It sounds different than T’Pol’s or our voices.”

“It’s called an accent. Quite common of an accent in the country I come from on Earth.”

“It’s relaxing.”

“I’ve never been told that, but thank you.”

Garut nodded, looking away. “Did he die in pain, do you think?”

“No,” Reed lied. “He went peacefully.”

Reed looked up when T’Pol slowly sat down on his other side. She looked up and he followed her gaze. There was a small gap in the canopy and they could see stars sparkling through it.

“Somewhere up there is Enterprise,” Reed said.

“Perhaps,” T’Pol answered. “I worry this trek may be for nothing.” T’Pol looked at the ground.

Reed shrugged. “We won’t know until we try, T’Pol. Why don’t you get some sleep?”

She nodded. Reed watched her lay down on her back, her gaze returning to the gap. He laid down on the ground next to her, also staring at the spot. Reed smiled a little when Garut laid down next to him.

#

The group carefully forded the river, the current pressing against their legs and threatening to push them over. Ahead Isha climbed up the embankment and turned, scanning the jungle with her riflescope. He glanced back at Areki and Garut. Reed looked down when he stumbled, caught his balance and continued walking. Reed stopped suddenly, looking up. He could hear the drone of an engine over the water’s roar. He turned, looking both directions.

“Lieutenant,” T’Pol called.

Reed looked at her. She and Gephka were almost to the opposite bank. “Do you hear that?”

T’Pol stopped walking and listened. The sound of the approaching engine was growing louder.

“RUN!” Isha screamed at the four still in the water.

Reed turned to the two behind him. “RUN!” he repeated to them.

The two tried to run, but the current made it difficult to move quickly. Reed reached out and grabbed Garut’s arm when he was close to him. He held on tight to the young Jakisau’s arm, pulling him as they ran. T’Pol reached the bank but stopped, waiting for the three to reach her. The sound of the engine grew steadily closer. Garut slipped and fell, pulling Reed under. Reed tried to pull away but disappeared under the water.

“GRAB HIM!” T’Pol yelled to Areki. She started running back to them. A particle stream hit the ground before her and she jumped back, looking up. Isha was watching her, her rifle aimed at T’Pol.

“Don’t go back. They have to make it on their own.”

“He is my first officer. I have to go back for him.”

“If you are in command of your ship, as I suspect you are, they need you more than him. Think about your crew, T’Pol.”

T’Pol looked back at the river. Areki was searching for Reed. The sound of the engine could be heard over the water now. T’Pol turned to ask Isha for help.

“RUN, TAREKI!” she heard Reed yell. “GET OUT OF SIGHT T’POL!”

She turned back. Reed grabbed Garut by his shirt collars.

“DEEP BREATH!” Reed ordered them, and then yanked them under the water with him.

T’Pol looked up, seeing a watercraft coming down the river. T’Pol motioned Areki to her and ran up the embankment when he met her. They disappeared into the trees, joining the rest of the group.

The craft sped around the bend and approached where Reed and Garut had disappeared.

“You have no idea what a sacrifice he’s making for them,” T’Pol quietly whispered to Isha.

Isha looked up at her without a word.

The craft sped past. T’Pol moved so she could stay hidden but still see it. The craft disappeared down the river as fast as it had appeared. T’Pol ran down the embankment, reaching the shore as the two burst from the water panting for air. They hurried to shore and scrambled up the embankment to join the others. Isha led them into the jungle at a jog.

#

Trip tapped the controls on the situation room monitor, reviewing the telemetry photographs taken before the city had disappeared on the night side of the planet. He leaned on the console, mentally trying to determine where to have Hoshi scan next.

“Commander.”

Trip looked up. Phlox was standing on the stairs.

“Hey, Doc.” Trip turned back to the monitor.

Phlox walked around to stand opposite of Trip.

“When did you sleep last, Commander?”

“I’m not tired, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“No. That’s not what I’m asking. When did you sleep last?”

“A few hours ago. Had a good cat nap.”

Phlox walked around to stand next to Trip. Trip looked up.

“You’re not my mom and you ain’t my cap’n, Doc. Don’t lecture me about sleeping and eating and all this other shit that you seem to think you need to lecture me about.”

“I don’t recall lecturing you about any of that and I was simply coming around to see if perhaps a second pair of eyes could help with whatever you’re working on.”

Trip looked at Phlox. Phlox stood silently.

“Four days. It’s been four days.”

“Well, you’ll sleep soundly when we recover them, won’t you? I would like you to ask for some time off when they come back, if you don’t mind. I’d feel safer knowing you were fully rested and working on our warp drive.”

Trip smiled. “I promise to ask.”

“Good. How, can I help?”

Trip looked at the photographs. “This is where the barrier scrambling the sensors ends.” Trip pointed at a photograph. “But that’s nearly two hundred kilometers from the city. In spots Hoshi can get readings. Places where the land rises above the barrier or there is a deposit of some kind of mineral. I’m just trying to figure out where she should scan next.”

Phlox leaned on the console. “Let me study these photographs and see if I can come up with a good suggestion.”

Together the two began going through the photographs, quietly discussing possibilities.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.