Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

The Smallest Alien
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: The Enterprise crew discovers a strange device that every race claims is their religious relic. Archer becomes curious about it and doesn't want to give it up to anyone. So when it comes down to saving his crew and relinquishing it, he is torn.


CHAPTER 4

Archer tossed and turned in his sleep.

Captain, would ya wake up already!’ the man’s voice whispered.

He jerked awake with a gasp. With a heavy sigh he sat up on the edge of his bed. He heard a movement and lifted his head. There was a black void in his dark bathroom door. From the shadows, a human hand extended, holding the sphere. As if melting from the darkness, his father stepped into the dim light of Archer’s room. Archer nearly fell off the bed as he scrambled to his feet.

“Dad?”

Henry Archer smiled.

“How are you, son?”

Archer’s brow furrowed. “I’m good, dad.”

Henry held the sphere up for Archer to see, and then balanced it in the center of his palm.

“Do you know what this is?” he asked.

“I think it’s a star chart database.”

“It’s much more than that, son. It was created for two purposes: retrieve information and seek out species ready for first contact. Its creators have been sending them into space even before Vulcans developed warp technology. The one you are about to discover is thousands of years old and has accumulated more data on humans than can be processed in a life time.” Henry cupped the sphere in both hands.

“What race created it?”

“They’re called the Destini. Talk to Phlox about them.”

“Phlox?”

Henry nodded. “They have been receiving data from the Destini for a hundred years and he will lend you amazing insight. Now that you’ve passed the test, it wants to give you its database, but you have to wake up.”

“I’m not asleep.”

Henry smiled. “Aren’t you son?”

Henry suddenly stood right in front of Archer. He held the sphere in front of Archer’s eyes.

“Wake up, Jonnie.”

Archer couldn’t tear his eyes from the sphere. He saw the bridge in the distorted reflection but he couldn’t tell who was who from the curved images. He saw no reflection of himself or his quarters.

“Wake up, Jonnie.”

Archer reached out to take the sphere from his father.

“Cap’n,” Trip’s voice said, “Would you wake up already or Malcolm’s going to paint your nose!”

Archer turned toward the voice...

#

Archer opened his eyes. His cheek rested on his hand, propped up on the arm of his chair. He heard beeping and looked down. The document he’d been reading on the PADD had reached the end and was softly beeping to indicate it couldn’t scroll any further. Archer looked around him. T’Pol was the only person not trying to stifle laughter. Archer shifted in his chair, masking his embarrassment.

“Long night,” he explained, lifting his finger off the PADD.

Hoshi turned, pressing her earpiece. Archer’s heart leapt into his throat. Was it?

“Sir, I’m picking up a signal,” she reported.

Archer sat up in his chair. “Three recurring tones within three quarters of a light year from us?”

Hoshi’s brow furrowed. “Yeah. How did--”

“Pinpoint its location and give the coordinates to Travis.”

Hoshi obeyed.

Travis looked at a monitor. “Sir, this is going to be--”

Archer finished, “Like trying to follow something the size of a basketball in the middle of the Atlantic from space. I know. I’ll just call you the Chaser, Travis, and I do want to borrow the books sometime.”

Travis looked back at Archer, grinning. “Aye, sir.”

Archer kept his eyes on the view screen. The sphere came into view and Enterprise matched its speed.

“Are you getting any readings from it, T’Pol?”

“No, Captain.”

“Hoshi, open a channel.”

“On what frequency?”

“Pick one.”

Hoshi obeyed. She looked surprised. “The tones changed and it’s matching the channel frequency. Now what?”

“Now we wait.”

“The sphere is stopping,” T’Pol said.

“Full halt,” Archer ordered.

Enterprise stopped. The sphere moved close to Enterprise. A small opening appeared near the vent.

“I’m receiving a signal.”

“What language?”

“Binary. The computer is translating it. It’s asking if we’re prepared to receive data, sir.”

“When you’re ready, confirm.”

Hoshi worked the controls and replied. The view screen changed to show flashing images and data.

“What’s happening?” Archer asked.

“It’s transmitting data faster than I’ve ever seen.”

“Is the computer keeping up?”

“Yes. It’s restricting the data flow so it can keep up.”

“What--” Archer stopped when the view screen froze on an image of his father.

He drifted to his feet, staring at it. It was a picture taken during his father’s first speech on the warp drive. He was standing in the background, a young man in his late teens. The image magnified until his face was the only face in the screen and then suddenly disappeared. The view screen changed back to space, showing the sphere. The opening snapped closed and the sphere flew off at warp one.

“Captain, this is a lot of data! It’s going to take the computer a few days to categorize and sort this information.”

Archer smiled. “It’s humanity’s entire history, as an alien race saw it.”

They all looked at him. Archer smiled at Hoshi.

“Once it’s done, Hoshi, organize a team to help you go through the information. I have a feeling that it should keep you busy for, oh, a few years.”

“Years?”

Archer nodded, looking back at the view screen. The object had already disappeared.

“And then some,” Archer quietly added.

#

Archer looked up when the door of the Captain’s mess opened, watching Phlox enter.

“Good morning, Captain,” Phlox said, smiling. “Thank you for inviting me to breakfast.”

“You’re welcome.”

Archer motioned to the chair opposite him and Phlox sat down. A steward entered, setting their plates down.

“I had an ulterior motive for inviting you to breakfast, Doc.”

“Oh?”

“I was told...” Archer smiled, looking down. “If telling is what you can call it, to ask you about the Destini.”

Phlox didn’t reply. Archer looked at him. The shocked look on his face was a surprise for Archer. Phlox suddenly beamed.

“Which test did the Destini Gatherer give you? Did you have to give your life for a crewmember? Give up something you valued? Save the life of a stranger?”

It was Archer’s turn to be surprised. He pushed his plate aside, leaning on the table.

“We found the sphere, and just when I found out it held every star chart of the galaxy, if not the universe, I had to give it up to save my crew.”

“When Denobulans were first contacted, the Captain they reached had to choose between the life of many, or of a wife he loved very much. He chose his wife. That was nearly--”

“A hundred years,” Archer and Phlox said together.

Phlox’s smile softened. “Welcome, ally.”

“Thank you. Tell me about the Destini. Will we ever meet them?”

“Perhaps. They are a fascinating race.” Phlox ate a bite of breakfast before he began telling Archer about humanities new ally.


Back to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.