Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Truth Scores"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor
Description: They're ewoks? Diaper 1 and Malcolm 0, the finer points of Animal Crackers is discussed, Travis and Archer find themselves on the business end of a cranky feline, and Trip shows Eartik a thing or two about gravity.


Ewookies (1)

The away team pushed through the dense underbrush led by T’Pol and her tricorder.

“The ruins are another twenty mete—” T’Pol broke off, coming to a stand still as she tilted her head to catch the sound.

Behind her Archer, Malcolm, Trip and Ensign Cutler also stopped to listen. They heard the sound again however it didn’t sound like it was coming closer or moving away.

“What was that?” Ensign Cutler asked.

“Good question.” Archer slowly drew his phase pistol.

Behind him Trip and Malcolm also drew their phase pistols.

“Keep moving, T’Pol,” Archer said.

The five continued, keeping silent as they walked. The creature cried out again, bringing the group to a halt once more. For several minutes they stood and listened to the cries.

“Damn if that doesn’t sound like a…” Trip trailed off.

“A what?” Archer asked.

Trip didn’t answer.

Archer glanced back at Trip. He looked away from Archer’s gaze but it didn’t hide his embarrassed smile.

“A what?” Archer pressed.

Trip coughed, saying something behind the cough.

“A what?” Archer stopped, turning so he could face Trip.

Trip looked down, frowning. He coughed and spoke again. Archer grinned, waiting for an answer he could understand. Trip sighed, looking up at Archer.

“A wookiee! It sounds like a wookiee, okay?”

“A wookie?”

“Yeah. The big walking beast thing on Star Wars that runs around with Han Solo.”

Malcolm stifled a laugh. Cutler’s giggle was quiet.

Archer waited for the animal cry again. Malcolm and Cutler both stopped laughing.

“It does sound like a wookiee,” Malcolm said, “in soprano.”

“Leave it to you, Trip.” Archer turned back to T’Pol. “Let’s go see what these things are.” Archer glanced at Trip, “because I doubt wookies exist.”

T’Pol waited for another cry, pinpointed it with the tricorder and began walking. The five came out into a clearing and stood side by side. Dashing through the grass were small furry creatures closely resembling teddy bears. And as they ran back and forth in their intense game of chase, they cried out with a sound identical to the Star Wars wookiee Chewbacca, only several octaves higher.

“They look like—” Trip stopped mid-sentence and fell silent.

Archer leaned toward Trip. “Say it.”

“No.”

“Say it.”

“No.”

“Say it.”

“Uh-uh.”

“You were gonna to say it, weren’t’cha?” Archer asked him.

“Say what?” Cutler asked Trip.

“They look like…” Archer trailed off to let Trip finish it.

“I wasn’t saying nothin’.”

“They look like…”

Trip rolled his eyes. “Fine! Ewoks. They look like Ewoks.”

Archer, Malcolm and Cutler did laughed. Trip smiled, shaking his head.

“Maybe we should take one back,” Malcolm suggested, looking at Trip. “You seem to be good at collecting animals, sir.”

“I am not!”

“You saved a chicken,” Cutler said.

“Maybe—” Trip started.

Archer grew instantly serious. “No.”

“It’s not a chicken, sir,” Malcolm jabbed.

Trip frowned. He opened his mouth to reply.

“No. We aren’t taking one back,” Archer said.

“I wasn’t even gonna ask!” Trip rebutted.

“What were you going to ask?”

“I wasn’t going to ask anything.” Trip began laughing. “I was going to suggest that you call these things Ewookiees when you file the report,” Trip laughed at his own stupid joke.

He stopped laughing when he noticed the other three weren’t laughing. Archer, then Malcolm, then Cutler, began laughing.

“Ruins, T’Pol.” Archer turned his back on Trip. He couldn’t stand this conversation any more.

T’Pol changed the screen on the tricorder and lead them toward the ruins.

“Ewookies,” Archer muttered to himself with a smile

Behind him the creatures cried out as if laughing at their poorly chosen name.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.