Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Truth Versus Fiction"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Genre: Humor/Drama
Description: Deleted scenes from Dough Boys, the prank war continues, the boys get in trouble and thrown in jail, Phlox endures the endless questioning of a six year old...


Nurse Navta (2)

(After “Dough Boys”)

Archer woke up coughing and rolled onto his side to relieve the pain the coughing caused. He felt someone lay their hand on his arm but coughing was all he could do at the moment. The fit stopped and he laid back, keeping his eyes closed until his breathing returned to normal. The person that had touched him gently placed a cool rag on his hot forehead. Archer opened his eyes to find Navta kneeling on the bed beside him.

“Why are you in here?” Archer asked her.

“Doctor Phlox wants to put you in Sickbay,” Navta explained. “But I asked Likos to convince him to leave you here. Doctor Phlox said since I was behind it, I had to stay with you and tell him if you get worse.”

“Thank you, Navta. I wouldn’t sleep in sickbay.”

Navta smiled, patting his arm. “You sleep. I’m going to go take Porthos for a his walk and I’ll be back.”

Archer smiled at her. “Yes, Nurse Navta.”

Navta giggled, hopping off the bed onto her feet. Archer heard the two leave and drifted back into a black abyss of sleep. When he woke again, Navta was sitting on the bed beside him reading a book. Archer watched her read for a while before saying anything.

“What are you reading?” Archer asked.

Navta looked at him. “Liz gave it to me. It’s called The Hobbit.”

“Liz…Ensign Cutler?”

Navta nodded.

“Where are you at?”

“They just went underground and were attacked by the goblins.”

“Bilbo’s about to find the ring,” Archer remembered, “And meets Gollum.”

“What ring? Who’s Gollum?” Navta asked.

Archer smiled. “You’ll see. Read to me, Navta. This is one of my favorite parts.”

“You’re supposed to be asleep, K’pan,” Navta quietly scolded.

“I know. If you read to me I’ll probably fall asleep again.” Archer smiled at her.

Navta looked back at her book. “Okay. But you have to go back to sleep. Promise?”

“I promise.” Archer pulled the covers tight around him.

“Okay. I just started the chapter. I’ll start at the beginning so you’re not too lost,” Navta informed him.

“Sounds good,” Archer answered when she looked questionly at him.

Navta turned the page back and started reading out loud. Archer’s prediction was correct. The last thing he heard was Gollum calling Bilbo a thief and then he fell into a deep sleep. Navta looked up at him and smiled. She leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“Sleep well, K’pan,” Navta whispered.

Navta looked back at her book, turning the page find out what other adventures Bilbo was about to encounter.


Back to Chapter 1
Continue to Chapter 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.