Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Vivarium"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own the, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Several crewmen are abducted and placed on display in an alien zoo.


CHAPTER 1

A group of six entered the room. They had soft bone crests that ran from just behind one ear opening across the top of their head to the other ear opening. Very little hair grew in front of it and narrow flat strips of course hair grew behind it. There was a ridge of bone that ran from their upper lip and tapered off just above the eyebrow line and their hair was the same rusty color as their skin. Two had dark lines that ran from their cheeks, under their ear openings and down their neck. Their ears had no real definition. There was an opening and flaps of skin to protect the canal, but little other definition. Each wore a necklace of sorts. The ends of the necklace pierced their necks and hung over their snug fitting clothing. The clothing itself was like wearing skin and had more practical reasons than aesthetic. They were often cold and the material provided much needed heat that their bodies failed to produce. Their hands had five gray and bony fingers with a bit of webbing between the fingers, a product of a slowly devolving feature that they no longer used nor needed.

These humanoids -- who proudly called themselves Par’Tek -- were intellectually brilliant. They had developed technologies far exceeding any of their neighbors. They regarded other species as slow and primitive. They financed their military forces as equal as their scientific endeavors. However, those with the curiosity to explore beyond their planet or even their solar system were far and few. This was a blessing for neighbors, for the Par’Tek were known for taking whatever sparked their curiosity and not caring who died or what the consequences of their actions would create for those from whom they stole from.

This morning the members of the Vivarium and Zoological Garden Facilities were gathering for their annual meeting. One of the Par’Tek’s biggest tourist attractions was their zoos, which they termed vivariums. The adventurers of their kind traveled through deep space collecting alien species of every kind and over the years they had collected a vast collection. With their advancing technologies, more and more species were brought to their zoos to live out their lives pampered and cared for in captivity.

The six sat with little talking and turned to the speaker at the head of the table.

“As director of this board, I, Director Kynade, call this meeting to order.” Kynade leaned on the table. “We have finances, expansion and public issues to discuss today. But more importantly, we have to discuss the replacement of our two most popular attractions.”

“Yes,” one replied, looking at the hand sized device in his hand, “Homo sapiens and Ferengi. We received word from the vessel Artek. They purchased two females and a male specimen. All three will arrive tomorrow. We can couple the female with the surviving male offspring in habitat sixty-four.”

“That only leaves us to replace the Homo sapiens,” Kynade said, “Artier Warvan has not asked that we find replacements for the Homo sapien exhibit. He has ordered it. He is threatening to cut funding if we do not find replacements and re-open the exhibit in two weeks.”

“Did you explain to him we have been having trouble for years extracting specimens? They have developed warp technology and advancing weapons. Over the last eighty years there have been more species inhabiting their space, contaminating the blood lines.”

“We could try taking them from,” one looked at the device in his hand, “a couple transporters that were reported outside of their space.”

“No. Those aren’t good specimens. Our observation scientists have been fired on several times and the ones that they have managed to get on board are often not suitable. The observation scientists must get close enough to board a decent ship, determine a couple of good breed and have an extraction squad retrieve them without much stress.”

Another Par’Tek spoke up, “Attention, Director.”

The Par’Tek looked at the speaker -- a shorter Par’Tek in the last chair at the table. Kynade’s face reflected disapproval on the smaller alien.

“Yes, Gatir?” Kynade asked with a belittling tone.

“My team has come with an idea of how to collect specimens, including Homo sapiens, that could prove more beneficial.”

Your team? Your team is in charge of health and upkeep. They are not in charge of collecting specimens. What ideas could your team possibly have?”

Gatir offered a weak smile but continued, “We thought perhaps if you made contact with Homo sapiens, as well as other specimens, and invited them to live here instead of forcing them--”

The five turned on Gatir, snarling at him. He shrunk back, falling silent.

“You have voiced on several occasions your dislike for this project yet you remain. You evidently have your priorities confused, Gatir. We take specimens because they are inferior and primitive, unable to be reasoned with. Now be silent!”

Gatir looked away.

“Attention Director Kynade,” another Par’Tek said.

“Yes, Taloc?”

“We have detected a Homo sapien vessel entering our quadrant. It does not have the same design of the transporters and apparently has higher warp capabilities. It just entered two days ago. Reports have mentioned that these specimens appear to be far more curious than those of the transporters. They have contacted two outer planets already and even went to the surface of the Oliir’s home world.” Taloc looked at the device in his hand.

“We will have to send observers in to gather further information and assess which would be good specimens aboard the ship.”

“Yes, Director Kynade.”

Director Kynade nodded. “Good job, Taloc.”

Taloc shot a smug look at Gatir.

“And moving on, let’s start the financial reports.”

Gatir looked at the device in his hand. He brought up a screen of a distant picture of the ship the Homo sapiens were on. Enterprise was written across the ships bow. Secretly Gatir hoped this ship’s defenses were as impressive as her design.

#

Archer and T’Pol’s conversation broke off when Hoshi said, “We’re being hailed, Captain.”

“By who?”

“I don’t know. They haven’t said yet.”

Archer walked out of the situation room to stand in front of the captain’s chair. “Travis, does their ship look familiar?”

“Naw. Never seen it before. Scans aren’t reading any familiar species either.”

“Let’s not be rude.” Archer smiled. “Put ‘em on screen, Hoshi.”

On the screen an alien appeared.

“Greetings,” he said with a smile and a soft, crooning voice. “I’m Captain Yartiq of the Par’Tek starship Obreyn. And you are?”

“I’m Captain Jonathan Archer of the starship Enterprise. Pleased to make your acquaintance.” Archer glanced to his left when T’Pol stopped next to the railing around her station and drew herself into a formal stance.

“You are new to this sector, are you not?” the alien asked.

“Yes. We are.”

“Welcome. We don’t get many travelers through here. Seems we have a terrible infestation of rather questionable species.”

“We haven’t run across any trouble. Thanks for the heads up.”

“Your ship probably is of little interest to them or they would have attacked you by now. What do you call yourselves?”

“We’re human.” Archer smiled.

“Have you been at space long?”

“A little over eight years.”

“That’s quite a long time! You have a fine looking ship.”

“We like to think so.” Archer felt wary like he always did any time someone started asking questions about Enterprise. “Perhaps we’ll meet again someday. It was a pleasure making your acquaintance.”

“And yours.”

Another Par’Tek spoke up, stepping in front of the visual sensor.

“Are you explorers?” he asked.

“Yes,” Archer replied.

“Really?” Captain Yartiq leaned forward. “Are you researching scientific and astronomical anomalies?”

“We do.”

“We’re on our way to witness a rather small red giant collapse. Have you ever witnessed one?”

“Not to my knowledge.”

“You absolutely must join us. Mind you to keep your distance, however. They have been known to create strong currents.”

“I’ll need to inquire with my science officer first. Will you give me a moment to contact her?”

“Certainly.”

Archer nodded to Hoshi and the view screen changed back to the view of space and the Par’Tek vessel off the bow.

“Hoshi, did our translator know their language?”

“They were transmitting in English.”

Archer frowned. “I don’t like this. There is something about these aliens that is just..off.” Archer crossed his arms.

“Perhaps his exuberant friendliness?” T’Pol offered.

“You think so?” Archer asked.

T’Pol’s eyes narrowed slightly. “The statement was not meant literally.”

Archer smiled a little. “Sarcasm, T’Pol? This early in the morning?”

Travis, Malcolm and Hoshi chuckled. Archer looked back at the screen.

“It’s your call, T’Pol. I..could care less about a red giant collapsing. Been there, seen that.”

T’Pol looked at the view screen. “I would like to observe the event, however,” T’Pol looked at Archer, “I too am uncomfortable with their display of friendliness. There is something in his voice that seems to hint to an underlying motive.”

“Agreed. Hoshi.” Archer nodded to Hoshi.

Hoshi reestablished the connection.

“We’d be glad to join you,” Archer told Captain Yartiq.

“Wonderful! Follow us and we should be there by the end of the day.”

“Could you transmit the coordinates? In case we fall behind.”

“Certainly.” Captain Yartiq nodded to someone off screen. “You should be receiving them now.”

Travis looked back at Archer, nodding once.

“Thank you. We’ll be right behind you.”

“Very good! Obreyn out.”

“Keep your distance, Travis,” Archer told him. “Malcolm, keep an eye on their weapons and make up a reason for polarizing our hull.”

“If I might comment, Captain,” Malcolm waited for Archer to look at him, “His friendliness reminded me of how one might talk to a cat.”

Archer laughed. “I beg your pardon?”

“All the veterinarians I’ve ever known talk nice, upbeat and quiet like that. Right before they jab them in the bum with the needle. That’s what his friendliness reminded me of.”

Archer smiled at Malcolm’s analogy but it bothered him how accurate the analogy was.

“T’Pol,” Archer said and the two returned to their meeting in the situation room.

#

Trip sighed, looking at the PADD in his hand. He had really wanted to dine with Archer tonight and talk to him about a scheduling problem he was having, but Archer and T’Pol were having dinner aboard the Par’Tek vessel.

“Excuse me.”

Trip looked up. One of the Par’Tek crew was standing by the table with a tray in his hand. The two exchanged smiles.

“Is this seat taken?” he asked.

“No.” Trip smiled, motioning to it. “Go ahead.”

The Par’Tek sat down and prepared to eat his dinner. He looked up at Trip.

“I am Ulta.”

“Trip.” Trip held out his hand.

Ulta shook it, taking Trip by surprise. He hadn’t met many races out here that used handshaking as a form of greeting.

“You seem intrigued by the information there,” Ulta said.

Trip sat it aside. “Yeah. Just a problem I’m working on.”

“Oh?”

“Some trilion conduits keep going off line. There’s short somewhere in them but..” Trip grinned. “Sorry. I guess I shoulda asked if you’re an engineer before rattling off like that.”

“I am.” Ulta smiled. “I was following quite well. You do not speak like many of the other crew.”

Trip smiled. “So I’ve been told. We’re from different places on Earth.”

“Earth?”

“That’s where I’m from.”

“Oh. And so your dialect is different than the others?”

“Yeah.”

“Fascinating. May I ask something personal?”

“Yeah. Sure.”

“I noticed there is a mix of sexes here. Tell me, are any of them mated?”

“Mated?” Trip grinned. “How do you mean?”

“Well, have any of them exchanged mating rituals and had offspring?”

“We call that married and having children.”

“I see. Is there any aboard that are?”

Trip intentionally took a bite of food before answering. Trip looked at Ulta. The Par’Tek was waiting expectantly for an answer that Trip had already decided wasn’t coming.

“Naw. None,” Trip said after he swallowed his bite, glancing at a monitor across the room. “Sorry to run off on ya, but I gotta get back to work.”

“It is no problem. Thank you for your time.”

Trip offered him a smile as he stood. He picked up his tray and left. Ulta reached in his pocket and pulled out a hand-held device. He tapped the screen and replaced it back in his pocket, and then resumed eating.

#

T’Pol silently walked alongside First Officer, Engineer Ulta, listening to Archer quietly converse with Captain Yartiq ahead of him. They turned into the mess hall, Archer raising his voice slightly to speak over the din of crewmen having supper.

“I’ve asked our Chef to prepare--”

Archer stopped suddenly, looking up. The usual hum of multiple conversations that filled the mess hall during supper had died off. Archer looked over the crewmen in the room. Some were continuing to eat silently while others had simply laid their utensils down and sat silently, looking anywhere but in Archer’s direction.

“Is there a problem?” Captain Yartiq asked, glancing around the room.

“This is a normal custom,” T’Pol said, walking ahead to the Captain’s mess.

“It is?” Captain Yartiq looked at Archer.

“It’s a custom that crewmen show respect when two captains enter the room,” Archer lied, then motioned to the door T’Pol had opened and was waiting at, “Shall we?”

Archer led them into the Captain’s mess, resisting glancing back after he’d entered. T’Pol didn’t. She looked back to find everyone’s eyes had turned in their direction and the looks on the human’s faces was a mix of discomfort and dislike. T’Pol promptly shut the door before Captain Yartiq or Ulta saw what she had.

#

Archer stared out the port window, watching Captain Yartiq’s vessel. He heard Trip and T’Pol come into the ready room behind him.

“You wanted to see us, Cap’n?” Trip asked.

“T’Pol?” Archer asked.

“Yes, Captain?”

“How are you feeling about these Par’Tek?”

“I believe that your human instincts are not failing any of you this time, Captain. The Par’Tek’s interest in your crew far exceeds general interest. They don’t appear very interested in Enterprise directly, but more so her crew and in a scientific way.”

Archer looked back at her. “Scientific how?”

“Much how Doctor Phlox appears interested in his wide array of animal specimens.”

“Captain,” Trip said started, “the questions they’ve been asking crew are not the norm and aren’t any of their business. That Captain Yartiq had the gull to ask me where I liked to mate! What the hell kind of question is that? And what business is it of his? And do you know that when I asked the same question back at him he got offended! OFFENDED! As if I was some low life that didn’t have the right to be asking that question back when he just did.”

Archer was silent for several minutes. “I was up all night with upset crew lining the hall to talk to me..I think it’s time we bid Captain Yartiq farewell.” Archer turned to face the two, “Because when he asked me what I would do if I lost my science officer and chief engineer, that’s where my patience with this whole thing ended.”

“He did what?” Trip asked.

“He asked me what I would do if I ever lost the two of you. He added, as if realizing the question disturbed me, if it happened in battle, but my gut tells me there was more to that question.”

“He wanted to know if I felt attracted to any human on this ship,” T’Pol said, “And when I refused to reply, he asked if any human was attracted to me.”

“Did you answer?”

“No. I didn’t feel his question was appropriate or deserving of an answer.”

“We’re leaving now.” Archer pushed between T’Pol and Trip, trotting out onto the bridge.

“Travis, prepare to go to warp,” Archer said as he stepped in front of the captain’s chair, “Malcolm, right before we go to warp polarize the hull, charge cannons and arm missiles. Hoshi, get me Captain Yartiq now. Tell ‘em it’s urgent.”

Archer watched the three quickly obey orders. Captain Yartiq appeared on the screen.

“Is there a problem? I noticed you’re preparing to depart.”

“We have a prior matter we have to attend to.”

“The red giant will collapse within twelve hours.”

“Yes. I’m aware of that, however, this matter takes precedence. Good day, Captain Yartiq.”

Hoshi cut the transmission without Archer’s approval. She looked sheepishly at him but Archer didn’t appear to notice.

“Get us out of here Travis. Warp four. Malcolm.”

“Hull polarized, canons charged and missiles armed, sir,” Malcolm answered

Enterprise turned about and leapt to warp.

“Keep an eye on the Par’Tek, Travis. If they pursue, come about and prepare for attack.”

Travis nodded.

“Hoshi, as soon as we’re out of their communication range, I want you to contact the first ship that isn’t Par’Tek. Find out everything you can about these aliens.”

“Yes, sir,” Hoshi replied.


Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.