Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Wallflowers"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Things have begun to disappear on Enterprise. Is it another anomaly? Or is there another answer to it? -- This is where the OC begin through to the end, cuz... well. I can!


CHAPTER 3

Trip walked around the base of the engine and stopped. His lips pressed into a thin line of irritation.

“Can I help you?” Trip asked in a sharp tone.

Sista was leaning over a terminal, reading what were clearly schematics of the warp engine. She looked up, said something, and went back to studying the schematics. Trip stormed up and pressed a button, clearing the schematics on the screen. Sista looked up at him, saying something.

“If you’re asking me what I think I’m doing, I’m trying to make it clear to you that you do not belong down here and you certainly do not need to be reading classified information. How’d you get the password?”

Sista look confused.

“SECURITY!” Trip yelled.

A security guard came around the corner.

“Yes, Commander?”

“Escort our guest out of engineering. Find Hoshi and tell her to explain to Sista what classified and off limit areas are.”

“Yes, sir,” the man said. He walked up and took Sista’s arm.

Sista looked at him and then Trip, saying something.

“Look, lady, I don’t have a clue what you’re saying, but you’re leaving my engineering room and I don’t want to catch you back in here ever again.” Trip looked at the guard. “Make sure Hoshi explains that too.”

The man nodded, pulling Sista away. Sista kept talking to Trip until the door closed in front of her. Trip shook his head a little and continued to the other end of the room.

#

“Commander,” someone said behind Trip.

Trip turned. “Hoshi!” Trip said. “I told him to tell--”

“He told me everything.” Hoshi glanced back at Sista, then back at Trip. “She explained to me what she was doing and I really think you should hear her out.”

“I can’t even understand her, Hoshi!” Trip pointed out.

“I came to translate for you. I really think you’ll be interested in what she has to say.”

Trip crossed his arms. “Humor me.”

Hoshi turned to Sista, speaking. Sista stepped up, talking to Trip while Hoshi translated.

“I apologize for invading your privacy. I didn’t mean to offend you. I ask that you forgive my thoughtlessness,” Hoshi looked at Trip.

“If she makes it worth the trouble, I will,” Trip said.

Hoshi translated. Sista nodded once and continued.

“I wanted to see what kind of specifications your warp engines had. I have seen thousands of different warp engines. I wanted to see if I could help you make any improvements. With your engine I cannot do that, but I have noticed that your ship lacks several things most have in deep space. For one you do not have a tractor beam and your ship’s weapons are crude and will be ineffective against some of the more violent races such as the Cardassians and Romulans.”

“The Cardassians and Romulans?” Trip asked.

Hoshi asked Sista.

Sista frowned a little. Hoshi continued to translate, “I conclude that you have not met either yet. I noticed that you have a Vulcan on board. It would be wise to ask her about Romulans, as they are cousins. The missiles that you use would not defeat their vessel’s defenses even if you detect them. I would like to assist you in upgrading many items on your ship so it may better protect my crew as well as yours.”

Trip leaned against the console, resting his hands on the edge. “And what happens when you leave and I have half the work done here? I’m not going to know how to operate these things you’re talking about right off the top of my head, lady.”

Hoshi spoke. Sista nodded, speaking again.

“I need to see more of the specifications you have and have Hoshi translate some things. Once I have enough knowledge of the mechanics and engineering that run this ship, I will start designing the schematics. We will have to work closely on all projects because I will still have no knowledge of all parts. That will teach you most of what would be done, but I cannot promise starting something and being unable to finish it. That will depend on Captain Archer.”

Trip looked down. “I can’t show you everything.”

“You must or I cannot help you.”

Trip looked up when Sista laid her hand on his arm. He met her green eyes and saw the spark he’d seen thousands of times in Archer’s eyes. This girl had seen many battles and had far more experience than her young face let on. Trip sighed.

“You really care about them kids, don’t ya?”

Sista nodded when Hoshi translated.

“Okay. But we have to do this when Hoshi is available. She can’t work all the time.”

Sista nodded when Hoshi finished translating. Hoshi said something. Sista looked back at her and Hoshi nodded once toward Trip. Sista looked down, raising her hand.

“I told her it was customary to shake on a promise,” Hoshi explained to Trip.

Trip reached out and gently took Sista’s hand in his. She looked up at him, letting him gently pump her arm up and down. Hoshi spoke to Sista, and then repeated what she had said to Sista to Trip.

“Tomorrow we’ll be by after I get off. We’ll see what she can figure out from our schematics before we decide what to do next.”

Trip smiled at Sista, letting her hand go. “Good.”

Sista’s mouth turned into a faint smile. “Good,” she said, her voice so soft it could hardly be heard over the engine.

Trip turned, going back to work. Hoshi laid her hand on Sista’s arm. Sista turned and spoke to Hoshi.

Hoshi nodded. “Yes. He can be understanding,” Hoshi said in English.

The two women turned and walked to the lift.

#

“Hey,” Trip said, sitting down at the table across from T’Pol.

T’Pol lowered her cup of hot tea down to the table, watching him.

“Hello,” she replied.

“Hey, can I ask you somethin’?”

“You may.”

“After our run in with the Romulans, I know who they are, but how are they related to Vulcans?”

T’Pol’s face briefly tensed. “Why would you ask about the Romulans?”

“Sista has offered to help me upgrade a few things on this ship. I thought I’d let her, but while she was talking she mentioned she was concerned about protecting us from the Cardassians and Romulans and that Romulans were like cousins to Vulcans.”

“They are related to Vulcans.”

“How’s that? They have the ears, but what else makes them like you?” Trip asked.

T’Pol raised an eyebrow. “They do not have control of their emotions and are volatile.”

“So they aren’t really Vulcans?”

“To explain this better you would have to know about Vulcan history. Vulcans were not always as they are now.”

“Ya mean they weren’t always so boring and deceptive?”

“That would be the Romulans.”

“They’re more boring and deceptive?”

“Commander, if you are going to make jest of this conversation then we should conclude it. I have work to complete.”

“I’m not joking, T’Pol. I’m confused. If they’re cousins to you, but they aren’t like you, but they are like you, then how are they any relation to you and why does Sista think they need to be worried about them as much as those Cardassians she mentioned?”

“There are violent species out here, Commander. Romulans and Cardassians are two of them.”

“I know, I know. But...I want to know how these Romulans are related to Vulcans.”

T’Pol sat the PADD in her hand down. “Many lifetimes before I was born there were violent wars on Vulcan. It was a result of the violent emotions that we did not have control over. From the war came philosopher Surek who led my people toward logic and peace. However, there were some Vulcans that did not feel this was the path to take. They left Vulcan and moved to another star system called the Romulan Star Empire. The Romulans are Vulcans, but they do not lead the same lives as we do. They are ruled by their emotions and these emotions lead them to violence.”

“Ohhh. I understand. So, we do have a reason to be leery of these Romulans. Are they as bad tempered as those Klingons are?”

“Yes.”

“There was something else that Sista said that sorta bugs me. She said that our missiles would not defeat their vessels even if we detect them. What would that mean?”

“I would assume that she has discovered what Vulcans have thought only to be a rumor.”

“A rumor of what?”

“We had heard that the Romulans were working on a cloaking device. It is possible they have succeeded.”

“These other aliens keep getting more and more dangerous. Thanks for clearing that up, T’Pol.”

“You are welcome.”

Trip stood and left the mess hall. T’Pol turned, looking back at Sista. She was sitting at a table in the corner with four of the children. She watched T’Pol with a steady gaze. T’Pol turned around, looking at her PADD. On it was information from the Vulcan database on a race known as Betazoid. T’Pol continued reading.

#

Archer walked down the hall, reading the items on the PADD in his hand. He sighed, dropping his left hand from it. He stopped short, when someone grabbed his hand. He slowly looked down. Navta grinned up at him, her small hand slightly swinging his hand. Archer forced a grin.

“Hello,” Archer said.

“Vaita!” Navta said, smiling. “Vaita is hello. Good morning.”

“Vaita. Good morning.” Archer let out a short sigh, “Navta...”

Navta started talking excitedly in her own language about something. Archer tried several times to interrupt her but didn’t have the heart from the way the child was happily chattering to him.

“Morning Captain,” Trip said as he passed with T’Pol.

Archer looked up to answer. Navta began pulling on his hand to get his attention again. Archer looked back down at her and she continued chattering.

Trip grinned, looking around. “Now that’s something you don’t get to see everyday.”

“What are you referring too?” T’Pol asked.

“That.” Trip motioned back at Archer and Navta.

“You find the Captain’s situation amusing?” T’Pol asked.

“You know anyone else on this ship that can stop him in the hall and keep his undivided attention like that?”

T’Pol glanced back at her captain, and then looked back at Trip. “No.”

“Then it’s amusing. Have a good day, T’Pol,” Trip said as he turned into the engineering room.

T’Pol glanced back at Archer and the chattering child.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.