Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Wallflowers"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Things have begun to disappear on Enterprise. Is it another anomaly? Or is there another answer to it? -- This is where the OC begin through to the end, cuz... well. I can!


CHAPTER 5

T’Pol followed Archer and Trip into the launch bay, paying little attention to the men’s idle chat. Trip opened the hatch door and the two men stopped talking, staring at Sista. She sat in one of the back seats with her hands folded neatly on her lap and staring straight ahead.

“What are you doing in here?” Trip asked.

Sista didn’t respond.

“Sista get out,” Trip ordered.

“Sista, we need to use this shuttle pod. You need to get out,” Archer said.

Sista didn’t move.

“May I speak with her?” T’Pol asked.

Both men looked back at her. Archer motioned her to enter the shuttle pod. T’Pol walked in and stood in front of Sista. The young woman looked up at her. T’Pol spoke in her language and Sista answered.

T’Pol turned to Archer. “She desires to join our expedition to the surface. She would like to see if this planet is suitable for her crew to remain.”

“All of them?”

T’Pol asked Sista. She nodded head, speaking. T’Pol looked at Archer.

“All of them.”

“Prepare for launch, people,” Archer said, walking to the pilot’s chair.

Trip sat in the navigation seat and T’Pol sat down across from Sista. Archer pushed the communication button on the panel.

“Archer to Enterprise,” Archer said.

“Reed here,” Malcolm replied.

“We have an additional expedition member. Sista is going to the surface with us to determine if it’s suitable for her crew to remain. Tell Hoshi to tell her crew.”

“Acknowledged, Captain,” Lieutenant Reed replied.

“Archer out,” Archer said and began the launch sequence. “And I sure as hell hope it’s suitable.”

“Awww come on, Captain. You’ll miss Navta’s blue eyes and bubbly personality. After all, have you ever had such a life like picture of Porthos drawn for you?” Trip said.

Archer looked back at Trip. Trip grinned.

“Prepare for launch, Trip,” he ordered.

Archer turned back around and initiated launch as soon as the bay doors were open. The shuttle pod turned and flew toward the green and blue planet below them.

#

T’Pol stopped, looking back. Sista had stopped at a bush of berries.

“One moment, Captain,” T’Pol said.

Archer sighed, putting his hands on his hips.

“You wanted them gone. She has to make sure this place is safe. She’s got all them kids to worry about,” Trip pointed out before Archer could make any angry comments.

“This is going to take forever,” Archer grumbled.

“Might have to spend the night,” Trip jabbed.

“Trip, would you take this seriously!” Archer hissed at his friend.

“I am. Their home planet is gone and these kids ain’t got anywhere else to go, so if you want them off the ship then you’d better plan on being here a while. Give her some respect will ya!” Trip turned, crossing his arms across his chest.

Archer looked down, listening to T’Pol and Sista talk. He looked at the two women. T’Pol, while showing little emotion, had obviously become very interested in Sista and the children. He’d seen T’Pol frequently conversing with Sista, speaking their language as fluently as she did Vulcan and English. Archer looked at Trip. He had seen his friend trying with great effort to learn the children’s language along with many of the crew. Archer looked down, suddenly wondering if he was making the right decision after all.

“I just don’t see children fitting in on Enterprise,” Archer commented.

“Maybe you should look at it different then,” Trip said.

“What does that mean?”

“Nothin’,” Trip answered.

“What does that mean, Trip?”

Trip sighed, “Captain, it’s just that the crew--”

Archer’s communicator beeped cutting Trip off. Archer pulled it out of his sleeve pocket and flipped it open.

“Archer here,” he said.

“Captain, we found several cities in ruins. We’re assuming from seismic activity. Since there were no signs of battle from our scans, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t any ground battles.”

“How close is the nearest town?”

“About...twelve kilometers from your current location. I’m downloading the coordinates to your PADD now.”

“We’ll check it out. Archer out.”

Archer closed the communicator. He looked around to find Sista and T’Pol silently waiting with serious looks on their faces.

“What is it?” Archer asked T’Pol.

“There appears to be no animal life on this planet. Has the scans proven otherwise?”

“I don’t know.”

“Sista believes that without animal life, this planet would be unsuitable. Animals would at least signify a balance of necessary nutritional requirements and indicate a thriving ecosystem. Also, the water readings we have taken so far have indicated dangerously high levels of iron.”

“So they’re not staying?” Archer asked, not hiding his disappointment.

“No, sir. This planet cannot sustain her crew for any length of time.”

Archer nodded, looking away. “We’re going to go check out a town not far from here. Why don’t you two return to the shuttle pod and wait for us?”

“Perhaps Sista should explore the town as well. There may be something there that may be able to convince her that this planet may, in some way, be able to support her crew as you wish.”

“I DON’T WISH THAT!” Archer snapped loudly.

The three said nothing. Archer turned and stormed off in the direction of the town. Trip looked at T’Pol.

“He’s tired. Long day,” Trip explained. He started walking.

“We will wait at the shuttle pod for your return, Commander,” T’Pol said.

Trip stopped, looking back at her. “Thanks. That’ll help.” Trip turned and ran to catch up with Archer.

#

T’Pol stopped, looking up. Sista stopped what she was working on and looked up. Sista said something.

T’Pol nodded. “Yes. I felt it too.” T’Pol pushed the communications button on the console in front of her. “T’Pol to Archer.”

“Archer here.”

“Captain, have you experienced seismic activity in the last few minutes?”

“Yeah. We’re heading back now. We should reach the shuttle pod in five minutes.”

“Acknowledged. T’Pol out.”

Sista spoke again. T’Pol looked at her. Sista was watching her. T’Pol looked down at the communication button.

“They should be here shortly,” T’Pol replied, returning to her work.

Sista responded quietly. T’Pol looked again at the communication button and pushed it.

“T’Pol to Archer.

“We can’t get there fast if you keep stopping us, T’Pol,” Archer replied.

“We could come pick you up. We felt another mild movement.”

“We’ll be there shortly. Archer out.”

T’Pol turned to Sista, saying, “They will arrive shortly. We will leave upon their arrival.”

Sista shook her head, getting up. She opened the shuttle pod door and stepped out into the sunlight, watching in the direction the men were coming from. She saw movement in the trees and the two emerged. The ground suddenly shook violently. Sista dropped to her knees, looking back at the shuttle pod. She jumped in and slammed the door shut. T’Pol was holding onto her seat. Sista pulled herself into the pilot’s seat and engaged the launch sequence.

“We cannot leave witho--” T’Pol said.

Sista said something. T’Pol didn’t reply, watching Sista continue. Sista launched the shuttle pod and it lifted off the ground. Sista piloted it up into the sky above the treetops and hovered. T’Pol turned to a monitor, watching the quaking land below them.

“The seismic activity has ceased,” T’Pol said.

Sista flew the shuttle pod back to the meadow, landing closer to the men. T’Pol ran to Trip as he slowly got to his feet. He winced, looking around for Archer. He spotted the Captain a few feet away. A tree limb had fallen, pinning Archer to the ground after knocking him unconscious.

“Give me your phase pistol,” Trip ordered T’Pol.

T’Pol obeyed. Trip quickly cut the tree into sections that he and T’Pol could move Archer. T’Pol did a quick medical scan.

“He has a few fractured ribs and a mild concussion,” T’Pol reported.

“Let’s get him to the ship,” Trip said, picking up one of Archer’s arm.

T’Pol got to her feet, watching Trip heft Archer over one shoulder. The two hurried back to the shuttle pod. Trip laid Archer down and turned to sit in the pilot’s seat. The ground began shaking again. Trip fell back, hitting the back of his head on a console and falling to the floor. T’Pol fell against a wall as items in a locked shelf came flying down when the lock broke under weight of the items. She fell back onto Archer becoming buried with the items from the shelf. Sista launched the shuttle pod and entered in the coordinate for the Enterprise. She glanced back at the three, watching T’Pol throwing things off her as she got up. T’Pol turned, finding Archer was conscious.

“This planet...it’s unsuitable for anyone,” Archer whispered.

T’Pol raised an eyebrow. “I would concur, sir.”

Archer tried to sit up and winced.

“You have broken ribs. It would be best if you remained still,” T’Pol said.

Archer lay back down, looking at Trip. “Check on Trip.”

T’Pol moved to Trip and scanned him. She looked at Archer. “A mild concussion. He should gain consciousness shortly.”

Archer looked at Sista’s back. The young woman was speaking with Hoshi on Enterprise that was looming in the view screen. “I didn’t know she knew how to fly one of these.”

“I suspect she learned how to fly it when you brought us to the surface, sir. Her race seems to learn and adapt expediently.”

Archer didn’t reply. Sista landed in the bay and four crewmen were waiting to take Archer and Trip to the Sickbay. Archer winced when the two men helped him onto the bed, motioning to Trip when Doctor Phlox came over to him. Archer looked across the room. His stomach tensed when he saw Navta laying on one of the beds.

“What’s wrong with her?” Archer asked.

Doctor Phlox turned away from Trip, looking at Navta. “Her cold has her a bit under the weather.”

Archer slid off the bed, walking over to Navta’s side. He leaned toward the monitor above the bed, reading the information on the monitor.

“Her fever’s high,” Archer commented.

“It will be for another day or two I suspect. She’ll be fine.” Doctor Phlox came over and took Archer’s arm, pulling on it for him to follow. “I understand you have some broken ribs, Captain. Let’s take a look at them.”

Archer looked at Trip.

“He’s fine too. Just a bump on the head. Please lie down Captain.”

Archer let Doctor Phlox lead him back to the bed, glancing back at Navta.

“She’s going to be alright though?”

“She’ll be fine.” Doctor Phlox said as he began a scan. “Besides, I thought she troubled you too much. I’ve been told you don’t enjoy her company. Why are you concerned?"

“I didn’t...” Archer winced when Doctor Phlox touched his side. “I didn’t say I didn’t like her.”

“I didn’t say you didn’t either. I said you didn’t enjoy her company and she troubled you.” Doctor Phlox said. “You said you didn’t like her.”

Archer kept silent.

“Ahh. Just a few little fractures. We’ll wrap it and you’ll be sore for a few days. Nothing serious.” Doctor Phlox turned to get what he needed.

Archer closed his eyes. He decided to contact Starfleet and ask them what he should do with these orphans. An order would be easy for everyone to accept. Including himself.


Back to Chapter 4
Continue to Chapter 6

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.