Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"When Ethics Fail"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Stranded on an abandon space station, Archer discovers he is not alone. But is this alien the thief she claims, or the assasin his crew has been told about?
Author’s Note: This story made it onto the alternative list for (he final) Strange New Worlds 10 anthology. Rumor was it was actually on the list for publication, but an editor’s decision bumped it. We were dis close --0-- but not close enuf.


CHAPTER 1

Archer knelt by a terminal with tools and parts scattered around him. A blaring beep and automatic warning in an alien language blasted from hidden speakers and grated on his nerves. Nearby Porthos lay on the floor with his head on paws, watching him.

Archer wedged his hand between a clear panel and the terminal wall. His face contorted as he strained to reach a switch that was within millimeters of his grasp. He closed his eyes, pushing his hand in further. The unmoving clear wall painfully pinched him. His finger brushed the switch.

“Almost,” Archer whispered.

He pushed harder. His middle finger brushed the switch, caught the tip, and he flipped it up. The beeping and voice stopped and Archer breathed a sigh of relief as he withdrew his hand. He looked at Porthos. Porthos’ head popped up and his tail thumped the floor.

“Silence is golden, huh, boy?” Archer asked him.

Porthos’ tail thumped harder.

Archer collected a scanner and a couple of tools. He moved to the next panel, pulled it off and scanned the exposed components. He read the display on the scanner.

“Found the oxygen leak, Port. Deck twelve, section fourteen. Let’s seal off the section; I’m sure the germs won’t mind.” Archer paused, noticing the slight echo in the emptiness. He raised his voice, yelling, “ECHO!”

His voice echoed off the hull. Archer chuckled, turning back to his work. He set the scanner aside and twisted up the handle on a panel. The panel didn’t budge. He leaned in, looking for hidden screws or bolts holding it in place. He didn’t find any, so he tried again. Still the panel wouldn’t budge. He got on his knees and slid a couple fingers under the bottom as he pulled. The panel started to come off. Suddenly it slipped from his hand, catching one of his fingers as it snapped closed. Pain made Archer yank his finger loose. He lost his balance and sat down hard. Archer grabbed his hand, grimacing.

“Son of a bitch!”

Archer looked at his finger. A blood blister was forming on the tip of his index finger.

“Can’t something go right today, Port?”

Porthos started barking as he moved closer to Archer. Archer looked down at him. Porthos was barking at something behind Archer. Archer turned his head, staring at black clad and skinned female alien standing there. Archer’s breath stole away at how stunning the exotic beauty was. Her short black hair had copper highlights and her eyes were white with faint blue pupils. Copper veins glistened in the harsh overhead light, spreading across her skin like a thin fern.

But when she aimed her phase rifle at Archer’s forehead, tapping a button that made the weapon whine to life, his awe turned to horror.

“Wait!” Archer said, starting to get to his feet.

She smacked him across the face with the rifle barrel, sending him sprawling to the floor. Porthos started barking louder. Archer looked up, his eyes widening when the woman swung her phase rifle around, aiming at his dog.

“NO!” Archer screamed. He sprang to his knees, snatched Porthos up in a tight hug, and turned to protect the Beagle. “Don’t you dare shoot my dog!”

The woman kept her phase rifle at ready, but looked both confused and curious. She said something.

“I can’t understand you. I need to turn on my communicator.” Archer pointed at his sleeve pocket.

She spoke again, clearly asking something by the rise and fall of her voice.

Porthos stopped barking, but he held himself rigid under Archer’s hands. He wasn’t ready to trust this stranger.

Archer shook his head, pointing at his mouth and ear as he replied, “I don’t understand you.” He pointed at his pocket again. “I need my communicator.”

She stared at him with a distrustful look. She spoke again, motioning at his pocket. He started to reach toward it and she snapped at him, waving her rifle menacingly in his face. She motioned him to move slowly. Archer complied, slowly pulling his communicator out. He motioned her to speak. She tilted her head to the side, her eyebrows dipping in confusion.

“You need to talk more so I can translate what you’re saying,” Archer said.

She began talking rapidly and the communicator started to translate.

“...and I find that very curious,” she finished.

Archer smiled. She thrust the phase rifle in his face again. Porthos started barking again. Archer wrapped his hand around the dog’s mouth to silence him.

“Why are you insulting me?” she demanded.

“How am I insulting you?” Archer asked.

“You bear your teeth at me.”

“Among my kind bearing teeth -- smiling we call it -- is a gesture of welcome or friendliness or humor. I’ve seen other aliens do it too.”

“Among my kind it means anger and hate, and is the sign of one who lies. Is your mate being friendly when it bears its teeth at me?”

“This isn’t my mate.” Archer realized Porthos wasn’t barking any more and let the dog’s mouth go. “And no, that means he’s upset. Dogs are different.

“What are you?”

“I’m human.” Archer held out his hand to the alien. “My name’s Jonathan Archer.”

She looked at his hand for a moment and then held her hand out beside his. Archer took her hand and pumped it up and down twice. Archer let her hand go, watching her pull her hand back, staring at it for a moment.

“What’s your name?” Archer asked.

She wrapped both hands around her weapon, watching him. “Why are you on this station?”

“I was surveying a large nebula with another crewman when my ship detected an ion storm approaching. I started back, but wasn’t going to get back in time, so I came here to wait it out.”

She stared at him.

“Can I get up now?” Archer asked, starting to stand.

She shoved her phase rifle in his chest, pushing him back to the floor. “No.”

Archer sat down hard.

“You said ‘my ship.’ What kind of ship is it? Are you the captain?”

“It’s a starship and yes, I am the captain.”

Her eyes narrowed. “There are hundreds of different kinds of starships, Jonathan Archer. What is yours for?”

“The ship is a science vessel, mostly. We’re explorers.”

“What are you exploring?”

“Space.”

“Space!” She voice was full of contempt. “Why would anyone want to explore space?”

“Humans are curious. We like to explore things we don’t know or understand. We’re interested in everything around us.”

“And dogs?” She looked at Porthos. “Are they explorers as well?”

“Porthos is.”

“Porthos? That is a curious name. Where did you get it from?”

Archer smiled, looking down at Porthos. “He was a Musk--”

Archer stopped when she crouched and touched his lips. He looked into her eyes and caught his breath. Up close he saw that her eyes were really silver with the pale blue pupils; the most breathtaking eyes he’d ever seen.

She stood up, looking at Archer’s hand. “You were injured trying to do something?”

Archer looked at the blood blister on his finger. “Yes.”

“The words you said when it happened, is that what most humans say when they get hurt?”

Archer blushed, shaking his head.

“Why has your skin become redder and why do you smell different?”

“Because you’ve embarrassed me. What you heard me say is considered rude, and I don’t say words like that around a lady.”

“You think me a lady?” she snapped.

“I didn’t mean to insult you. I--”

Quietly she told him, “No one has ever considered me a lady.”

“You are a very beautiful lady.” Archer quickly looked at Porthos, scolding himself, ‘She’s holding a gun to your head and you compliment her? Are you insane, Jonnie!?

She cradled her weapon in her arms. “Have you ever heard of the Wesvta?”

“No.”

“They are my people. My name is Kerql.” She sat her weapon aside and crouched down. She held his gaze with those astonishing eyes. “I won’t harm you if you don’t try to trick me,” she told him.

“I have no intention of tricking you.”

“What were you trying to do?”

Archer got back on his knees, setting Porthos down. He pointed at the panel. “There’s a switch behind this to close off section fourteen on deck twelve. Oxygen is leaking somewhere in that area.”

“This you wanted off?” She pointed at the cover.

“Yes.”

She grabbed the handle and plucked it off with one hand. Archer let out a surprised laugh.

“What?” Kerql asked him

“You must be very strong.”

“I am. All Wesvta are.”

Archer picked up his scanner. When he turned back around he found Kerql kneeling beside him with a scanner in hand. The two continued working in silence.


Continue to chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.