Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"When Ethics Fail"
by A. Rhea King

Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Don't own them, CBS/Paramount does.
Summary: Stranded on an abandon space station, Archer discovers he is not alone. But is this alien the thief she claims, or the assasin his crew has been told about?
Author’s Note: This story made it onto the alternative list for (he final) Strange New Worlds 10 anthology. Rumor was it was actually on the list for publication, but an editor’s decision bumped it. We were dis close --0-- but not close enuf.


CHAPTER 3

Archer walked into the promenade dining room with Porthos trotting alongside. He spotted Kerql across the room by a window, watching the storm outside. A tray with used dishes sat on the table and she held a coffee mug in her hands, sipping the contents.

Archer tried to keep her in his sight, but he had to turn to take the food out of the resequencer. He turned, finding her watching him. Archer walked toward a table across the room.

“There is an open chair here,” Kerql invited him.

Archer’s heart leapt into his throat and he stopped. He looked back at Kerql. She had no expression on her face. Archer’s eyes drifted to the weapon resting against the table next to her.

Slowly, with great reservation, Archer joined her. He sat down and began eating in silence. Porthos laid down next to him, curling up for a nap.

“Have you ever wondered why nature makes things beautiful that are so deadly?” Kerql asked

Archer looked at her. “Lately that’s been a daily thought.”

“As has it been for me.” Kerql sighed, looking down at Porthos. “He is not eating?”

“No.”

Kerql nodded, looking back out the window. Archer looked at his food, poking at it. With a full night of restless sleep, he’d had time to think this through. The Korashuns might still be lying about her and there was really only one way to find out: ask. But he knew he’d have to be careful or he could end up dead. Archer looked at her huge rifle, contemplating how to go about this. An idea hit him.

“Have you ever played a game called twenty questions?” Archer asked.

Kerql looked back at him, shaking her head. “What are the rules of this game?”

“Each person is allowed to ask twenty questions, asking one per turn. All players answer the questions truthfully.”

“And what questions are permitted?”

“Any. I’ll let you start first if you want to play,” Archer offered.

“Very well. What is your people’s government like?”

“Earth is a democracy. Do you miss your family?”

“I miss Ashi. Is your government fair?”

“I think it is. What is your government like?”

“There is one ruler from the day he is born until he dies. When he dies, four men select a baby from a family and they raise him and assume the government positions until he is old enough to rule on his own. Then they advise him. Does your government offer asylum to those who ask of it?”

“There are several factors they have to consider before granting asylum. What was your childhood like?”

“It was typical of Wesvta. A large family. I left very early because there was not enough food to feed my brothers or sisters. I learned a typical Wesvta trade to feed myself.” Kerql looked right into Archer’s eyes when she asked with a flat voice, “What is Morse code?”

The game concluded on that question, a silent tension falling between the two.

“It’s an old form of communication. Why do you ask?”

“I went looking for you and you were not in your shuttle pod. I saw a message on the screen from your people. They had established communication with you using this form of communication.”

“I shouldn’t have left it up.”

“After observing you, I do not believe for a moment that you are the type to accidentally forget something like that. You must tell me how you were able to communicate with your ship using this Morse code.”

“I must tell you?”

“Yes. You portray yourself to be an honorable man, and even promised not to trick me, and then you did this. This is not the action of an honorable or truthful man, and it is trickery.”

“It is my ship. I have the right to talk to my people without conferring with you. Why did you come into my quarters and almost shoot me?”

Kerql looked away. Archer wondered if the sad expression on her face was real or just a ploy.

“I am concerned you will tell them I am here.”

“If you’re going to kill me, I’d at least like to know why.”

“You make it sound as if I plan on still killing you.”

“Don’t you?”

“No. I trust you.”

Archer wasn’t sure what to make of that comment. Kerql sighed, looking at him again.

“You see, in most of the systems around here, assassins are shot on sight. Thieves, even if they’ve stolen extremely valuable items, are not. Not even bounty hunters waste energy charges on thieves.”

“So...you’re a thief?”

“And a very good one.”

Archer wasn’t thoroughly convinced yet. Like everything else about her, there was logic and reason in what she said. It would make sense to label a thief a murderer if you wanted them caught or killed. “You had me wondering.”

“I am sorry I frightened you.”

Archer went back to eating.

“You...” Kerql started.

Archer looked up at her. She was rubbing a finger on the table, watching it.

“What about me?”

“I enjoyed looking at you without clothes. For being so weak, your body looks very strong, very compatible.”

“Compatible?”

“With mine.” Kerql looked at him, holding his gaze with one that didn’t hint at the emotion revealed in the compliment or the come on.

The bite in Archer’s mouth became hard to swallow. He looked down without replying. They were silent; Archer eating one hard to swallow bite after another, Kerql watching him.

Kerql finally spoke. “I noticed you were repairing your vessel. Did you finish the repairs?”

“Yes.”

“There is a conduit out of sync on my ship. Would you assist me? It takes two people.”

Archer was relieved that the awkward moment was past. He smiled.

“Yes. I’ll help you.”

Kerql stood, picking up her tray. “I will prepare the ship. It is four bays down from yours. I will see you shortly?”

Archer nodded. Kerql walked away. Archer watched her until she’s out of sight. He sat his fork down, closing his eyes. If he hadn’t been attracted to her from day one, that whole conversation would have been easy to pass off. Archer looked out at the storm, trying to sort through his feeling for the ones that would help alleviate his confusion.

#

Archer reached into the space with a round tool in his hand and slid the tool into the slot the tool was made for. He pressed the button above the slot. At the front of the ship, Kerql sat in the pilot’s chair, watching a monitor.

“Are you getting a reading?” Archer asked.

“Yes. Go to the next position.”

Archer slid the tool down to the next button and pressed it.

“I have the reading. I need to wait for the information to recompile. We will move on to the next procedure.”

Archer sat against the hull, setting the tool down. Kerql walked into the back with him, stopping at a bank of controls that she began working.

“Kerql?”

“Yes?”

“You said you missed Ashi. Who is that?”

Kerql stopped moving, her jaw tensing. Archer’s stomach tensed. How angry he’d just made her?

He looked at her big gun sitting next to the hatch, less than a meter from his grasp, and hers. Kerql crouched down in his line of sight. She leaned in until their noses almost touched.

“Is it really a human custom to reveal as much personal information as you’ve been asking?”

“Yes. It’s not the Wesvta way, is it?”

“Not unless you have mated.”

Archer didn’t move or look away.

“Ashi is my youngest sister. She is whom I steal for so that she can go to a university on an alien planet in a nearby system. If she goes, she will not have to live like the rest of my family and she will not learn the trade.”

“She’s lucky to have a sister that loves her so much.”

“She does not know I am doing this for her. And she won’t until after my next job is complete. Then I will have enough money for her to go and live comfortably.”

They stared into each other’s eyes for a long, silent minute. Archer reached up, laying a hand on her cheek. To his surprise she closed her eyes, leaning her cheek into his hand. His confusion quieted with the realization of how attracted he was to her.

“Still... She’s lucky to have a sister that loves her so much.”

Kerql suddenly pulled back, going back to the controls. Archer stood and gently took a hold of her arm, turning her back to him. She held his gaze. Archer slid an arm around her waist, feeling a light tremble course through her body when he touched her skin.

“From the first day I saw you, your beauty stunned me, Kerql.”

“How much did it stun you?” Kerql whispered.

Archer kissed her. She leaned into him, letting him hold her. Archer slid his hand down into hers, pulling his head back.

“Come with me?” Archer asked.

She nodded and let him lead her back to his quarters.

#

Archer walked into the shuttle bay, spotting Kerql packing her ship. He walked up to her, laying a hand on her shoulder. She stopped moving when he kissed her neck. Kerql turned into his arms, letting Archer hold her. Archer kissed her forehead.

“I’m looking for my dog,” Archer said, laughing a little. “Have you seen him?”

Kerql didn’t look up, answering, “No, I have not.”

Archer sighed, looking across the bay. “He catches a scent and just disappears. I’m just worried since I don’t know how safe this station is.” Archer lifted her chin, kissing her lips. He smiled, looking in her eyes as he brushed hair from them. “For a thief, I’m sure I could arrange asylum, Kerql. Come back to Earth with me.”

Kerql looked away and Archer knew the answer.

“This isn’t a good life, you know?” Archer asked. “It’ll only get you killed.”

Kerql looked up at him. “I did see Porthos. But I thought you were with him. He was down the hall outside the shuttle bay your craft is in.”

“Changing the subject doesn’t make the conversation go away.”

“No, but you asked about him.”

Archer kissed her forehead. “I did. Thank you.” He let her go and left the shuttle bay.

Kerql leaned back against her ship, closing her eyes. She reached inside the open hatch and pulled out her gun. She made an adjustment on it and tapped the arming button. The weapon whined to life. Kerql followed Archer.

#

Archer walked into Shuttle Pod One and found Porthos curled up on a blanket.

“Lazy bones.”

Porthos didn’t stir. Archer crouched down, shaking him. The dog didn’t move, but Archer could see he was still breathing. Archer started to stand when a particle stream hit him between the shoulders.


Back to chapter 2
Continue to chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.