Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"THE BRIAR PATCH"
By Dinah

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I do not own the Enterprise characters. I do, however, claim ownership of the characters that are the products of my imagination. I have not benefited monetarily from writing this. Genre: Drama/Adventure/Angst/A sprinkling of lust and love, Trip/T’Pol
Description: This story is a sequel to “The Thorn and the Rose.”

Author’s note: I really appreciate the reviews. Thank you all very much. I also want to thank Blacknblue for giving this chapter the once over and offering some suggestions. Please keep in mind that I write slowly. It will be awhile between new chapters.


CHAPTER 3: T’POL

“What in the hell is going on out there!”

T’Pol saw Archer tense in response to the angry tone of Admiral Gardner’s voice. Glancing at the viewscreen, she noticed that Erika Hernandez, the third member of this three-way comm link, obviously heard it, too, because she shifted uncomfortably in her command chair on Columbia.

“Have you seen the pictures from ECS Beneficence?”

“We’ve seen the transmission,” Hernandez managed to squeeze in before Gardner barreled ahead.

“We’re just lucky that freighter captain’s a lousy navigator. If he hadn’t wandered off course, we’d be completely in the dark. Five Vulcan battle cruisers at dead stop! It looks like a damned parking lot out there!”

“Yes, sir.” As always, Erika’s voice was calm and controlled, but the look she exchanged with Archer made it clear that she was uneasy.

“Seven ships went out, not five. Seven! What happened to the other two?”

T’Pol watched as Archer’s hands balled into two tight fists. “We aren’t sure,” he said grudgingly.

“You aren’t sure! Columbia reported that the ships were there one minute and gone the next. Isn’t that correct, Captain Hernandez?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Well, where’d they go? It’s been over an hour and a half since you passed along that information. Are the Vulcans in trouble? Or – heaven help us – have they developed some sort of cloaking device? It would be just like Kiran to pick a high-profile event like this to show us up.”

“I wish I could provide you with an answer, Admiral,” Erika replied, “but given what we know now, I’m afraid that isn’t possible.”

Gardner pointed a finger accusingly. “That’s not good enough. Archer, you’ve got a man on board one of those Vulcan ships. Damn it, I need to know what’s happening.”

“So far we haven’t been able to get through to Commander Tucker,” Archer replied. T’Pol could detect more than a little defensiveness in his voice. “My communications officer has tried to contact the Tar’hana for the past ninety minutes, but it’s no go. Kiran just ignores our hails.”

“We can’t get through to any of the ships,” Captain Hernandez added, seemingly to draw attention away from Archer. “Perhaps they’re unable to respond.”

“Can’t Captain V’Lin do anything to remedy this situation?” Gardner’s eyes moved rapidly around the bridge. “Where is he, by the way? Please tell me you haven’t lost him, too. I don’t think I can handle any more vanishing Vulcans today.”

T’Pol glanced at Archer’s clenched jaw and stormy expression and decided it might be best if she was the one who responded to the admiral’s questions. “Captain V’Lin asked to leave the bridge not long after the two ships disappeared from our sensors. He maintained that he was not…comfortable around humans.”

“Let me get this straight.” Gardner appeared to be peeved and perplexed in equal measure. “All hell’s breaking loose and V’Lin’s looking for a place to hide? Are you sure this guy’s the captain of a Vulcan ship?”

“Yes, sir,” T’Pol replied. “I believe Captain V’Lin may have had an ulterior motive when he requested a private room. Since he left the bridge, Ensign Sato has picked up snatches of two unauthorized transmissions coming from inside Enterprise. We believe the captain wanted to contact his superiors without going through regular channels.”

“What have you done to put a stop to it?” Gardner was clearly troubled by what he’d just been told.

“Nothing, as yet,” Archer said. “We have a security team stationed outside his door, but so far we don’t have any solid evidence that he presents a danger to the ship. Besides, if Ensign Sato can break the code he’s using, we may be able to turn the situation to our advantage.”

“I see. What are the chances of getting that done?”

“I don’t have much to work with,” Hoshi answered, a frown briefly settling over her face, “and the code isn’t one in common usage, but given time, I think I can figure it out.”

Gardner nodded. “Do what you can, Ensign. I’m not crazy about eavesdropping on our guest, but maybe it will give us some clue as to what’s going on.”

“As soon as Hoshi has anything, we’ll pass it along,” Archer said.

The right side of the viewscreen changed as Admiral Uhlani clapped a hand on Gardner’s shoulder and slid into the chair next to him. After saying a few whispered words to his colleague, Uhlani turned his attention to the two Starfleet captains.

“I want to bring you up to date on the situation here. The Ti’Mur and Thorsh-yel broke orbit fifteen minutes ago and headed in your general direction. They barely waited to clear the system before going to maximum warp. Five minutes later the Sas-a-shar tore out of here like a bat out of hell. Do you have them on your sensors?”

The heads of both captains swiveled toward their science officers in perfect unison.

T’Pol was the first to respond. “Long range sensors show that all three ships are on course to rendezvous with Admiral Kiran’s squadron.”

“So something is up,” Gardner said with a groan. “I was afraid of that.” He nervously began tapping his index finger on the table in front of him. With his prematurely white hair and the pronounced laugh lines around his eyes, he usually looked like a rather benign grandfather instead of one of the most powerful men in Starfleet. Today, however, he looked every inch the warrior.

“We’ve been trying to locate someone from the High Council,” Uhlani said, “but they’ve all gone to ground. The same holds true for representatives of the Vulcan fleet, the Security Ministry, and every other Vulcan agency right down to the Ministry of Sanitation. As a matter of fact, for the past hour and a half the only Vulcan I’ve seen above the rank of assistant flunky is Commander T’Pol.”

“If they’re locking things down this fast, the situation must be pretty serious,” Gardner said. “How long will it take you to reach the Vulcan ships?”

“Our ETA is 45 minutes,” Archer replied.

Columbia is about an hour away,” Captain Hernandez added.

“Tucker modified those engines to exceed warp 5,” Gardner growled. “Redline them.”

“Yes, sir,” both captains answered simultaneously.

“We’re recalling the other ships in your squadrons,” Uhlani said. “The captains should have received their orders by now and changed course for Vulcan. Until we know what we’re up against, we can’t afford to be strung out from one end of the sector to the other. As things stand, we’re perfect sitting ducks.”

“We need answers,” Gardner said. “Contact us as soon as you reach Kiran’s squadron. If the Vulcans need help, offer whatever assistance you can. Just keep us informed.”

When the right side of the main viewscreen went dark, the picture automatically adjusted so that Columbia’s bridge filled the screen.

“We have our work cut out for us, Captain,” Erika said. A half-hearted smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

“Yeah, I guess we do.”

“See you soon.” Erika motioned with her right hand and the transmission ended.

“You heard the man, Travis, go to 5.2.” The captain walked over to his command chair and sat down heavily. Pressing the comm button on the arm of the chair, he said, "Archer to engineering.”

“Lieutenant Hess here, sir.”

“We’ve got two missing Vulcan ships and Starfleet wants us to investigate. I need all the speed you can squeeze out of the engines.”

“For how long?”

“About 40 minutes.”

“I can’t guarantee that we can hold 5.2 for that long, but we’ll give you everything we can for as long as we can.”

“I guess that will have to do. Archer out.”

The captain turned to his communications officer. “Hoshi, try to contact the Tar’hana. If she still doesn’t answer, try hailing the Sas-a-shar or the Ti’Mur. I’m not in a position to be too picky. I’ll talk to anyone who speaks Vulcan.”

“Aye, sir.”

T’Pol took a moment to study Archer. The strain from negotiating with the Vulcans, while simultaneously trying to hold the Coalition together, was clearly taking a toll on him. She wanted to reassure him, but there was little she could say that would ease his mind. No matter where she looked these days, there seemed to be nothing but trouble on the horizon.

Finally, when the silence on the bridge became too oppressive, Lieutenant Reed said, “At least we know the Tar’hana isn’t one of the missing ships.” He cast his eyes anxiously around the bridge as though trying to draw support from his colleagues. “We know Commander Tucker is all right.”

“He’d better be or I’ll have Kiran’s hide.” Archer leaned forward and gripped the arms of his chair. “I just want to get Trip back on board. Maybe then we’ll find out what’s going on. I almost hope the Vulcans have perfected a cloaking device.” He turned toward T’Pol. “But I don’t think we’re going to be that lucky. What do you think?”

T’Pol didn’t know what to say. She knew something catastrophic had occurred. The wave of shock and fear which had emanated from Trip made that much clear. Beyond that, she knew only that her husband was still alive. She wanted to reveal what little she knew, but there would be the inevitable questions about the source of her information. That subject – the bond she shared with Trip – was off limits; she’d given her word. Unfortunately, that meant that she had no choice but to speak in generalities.

“I do not believe my people have a cloaking device,” she finally said in a quiet voice. “I wish I could be of more help.”

Restless, Archer once again got to his feet and began to pace. “Years ago when Malcolm and Travis got into trouble on that comet and Captain Vanik offered to use his ship’s tractor beam to rescue them, you told me that there was no shame in accepting his help. Do you remember that, T’Pol?” He looked over at her and she nodded her head. “That was good advice. Now the tables are turned and we’re offering to assist the Vulcans. Why can’t your people see that there’s no shame in accepting the help that we have to give?”

“Captain, I cannot speak for…”

“Starfleet is getting sick and tired of all this secrecy. Damn it, we’re supposed to be allies. The people of Earth are just about fed up, T’Pol. We’re tired of being ignored. I hope the Vulcans realize that before it’s too late.”

T’Pol knew that the captain was upset by recent events, but she hadn’t expected such a grim pronouncement. The thought of her people being isolated in a hostile universe was troubling, to say the least. Feeling the need for reassurance, she reached out to her husband, but all she caught were snatches of his anger and frustration. Whatever he was doing, he was concentrating so intently that she was effectively shut out. Sighing, she realized that she, too, would be forced to wait just like everyone else on Enterprise.

* * * * * * * * *

Hurry up and wait.

T’Pol had heard Trip use that phrase on more than one occasion, but it had never seemed quite so apt. Following Admiral Gardner’s directive, Captain Archer had pushed the warp engine to the limit only to be forced to sit and wait – it was going on 70 minutes now – once they reached the Vulcan ships. T’Pol could have told Gardner that this would be the result of their mad dash, but she had spent enough time with humans to know that her warning would have fallen on deaf ears. She knew her people. She knew they would not welcome what they perceived to be Starfleet’s interference in a Vulcan matter, regardless of the humans’ good intentions or their offers of aid and support.

So the Enterprise crew sat…and waited…and watched as the Sas-a-Shar and Ti’Mur circled Kiran’s squadron like a pair of great ringed guard dogs intent on keeping nosy passers-by at a safe distance.

Finally, a welcome break in the monotony came when Ensign Sato announced, “Captain, I have an incoming transmission from Captain Hernandez.”

Archer stopped pacing and looked expectantly at Hoshi. “Put her through.”

“Aye, sir.” As she completed her task, all eyes turned toward the viewscreen in anticipation.

Unlike Enterprise, Columbia was doing more than waiting around for something meaningful to happen. She had been dispatched to search the area around the last known positions of the two missing Vulcan ships. Her crew was well trained. T’Pol was sure that they would undoubtedly be able to provide some much-needed answers.

The senior staff of Enterprise had managed to remain somewhat optimistic until Erika Hernandez appeared on the viewscreen. One look at her face told them all they needed to know: the news was not good.

“Did you find anything?” Archer asked, wasting no time on social niceties.

“I’m afraid so,” Erika replied in a somber tone of voice. “I don’t think we have to worry about a Vulcan cloaking device.”

Leaning his head back, Archer took a deep breath. When he focused on Captain Hernandez again, there was a look of supreme sadness in his eyes. “The ships have been destroyed?”

“The evidence points to that. We found two large debris fields.”

“You’re sure it was the Vulcan ships. Maybe something else caused…”

“As soon as we realized the Thorsh-yel was patrolling the area, we knew we were in the right place. You and I both know the Vulcans wouldn’t station a ship there without a good reason.”

“Did they try to prevent you from searching?”

“Surprisingly, no. When I sent out our shuttlepods, they never made a move to stop us. We managed to collect enough bits and pieces to tentatively identify the detritus as Vulcan.” Erika wearily leaned back in her command chair. “I’m not sure that we‘ll ever be able to make a positive identification of either ship, but I don’t think there’s any question that they’re both gone.”

Two ships lost with all hands – so many lives lost in an instant. T’Pol took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. Even though she’d known all along that something dire had happened, it was still upsetting to have her suspicions confirmed. It went without saying that she would grieve for the victims, along with the rest of her people, but she could not deny her sense of relief that Trip had been spared.

“Do you have any idea what happened?” Archer asked. “Were they attacked?”

Hernandez shrugged her shoulders. “There were two massive explosions. That much is obvious. Beyond that, we can only speculate.”

“Have you informed Starfleet?”

“Yes. Admiral Gardner was unavailable, but I talked to his chief of staff. Evidently Starfleet is just as tired of waiting as we are. We have orders to return to Vulcan if we don’t make contact in the next two hours.”

Archer swung his head around, looking to his communications officer for confirmation.

“Orders are coming in now, sir,” Hoshi said quietly in response to the captain’s unspoken question.

“We’re ordered back?”

Hoshi glanced at the others on the bridge. She obviously was uncomfortable discussing the captain’s orders so openly. “Captain, the message is marked for your…

“Is it encoded?”

“No.”

“Then tell me. Are we ordered back? Yes or no.”

Hoshi lifted her chin. “Yes. In two hours, unless we…”

“…unless we’re able to make contact with the Vulcans. Thank you, Ensign.” Archer scrubbed a hand over his face before turning back to face Hernandez once again.

“Did the admiral’s chief of staff have anything to say about Trip?” he asked.

“I’m afraid Commander Tucker’s name never came up.”

“Well, that was a bit of an oversight, wouldn’t you say?”

“Perhaps, but…”

“He’s a Starfleet officer. He belongs on Enterprise, not on some Vulcan ship.”

“Captain V’Lin must be eager to return to the Tar’hana. Maybe he could initiate a swap?”

The look on Archer’s face darkened. Captain Hernandez had touched on a sore subject. “I can’t make a swap because V’Lin’s no longer on board,” Jon said through gritted teeth.

“He isn’t.” Erika was clearly surprised. “What happened?”

“As soon as we reached Kiran’s squadron, the Vulcans transported V’Lin off Enterprise.”

“If that worked for the Vulcans, why don’t you try to recover Commander Tucker in the same way?”

“Don’t you think we’ve tried? We can’t get a lock on Trip. The Vulcans are blocking his signal.” Archer rubbed one hand over his eyes. Tension and fatigue were apparently beginning to take their toll. “Look, what it all boils down to is that I’m still without the services of my chief engineer. I have no intention of running off and leaving him.”

“You may have to. Orders are orders, Captain.”

Archer shook his head mulishly. “Admiral Gardner’s going to have to give me that order personally.”

“If you feel that’s necessary, I’m sure the admiral will be happy to accommodate you.”

Seeing Archer stiffen in response to her statement, Erika seemed to have second thoughts about the tack she was taking. After studying him briefly, a warm smile spread across her face. “I really don’t think you have anything to worry about. We both know that Admiral Kiran isn’t going to want a human cluttering up his bridge any longer than absolutely necessary.”

Although T’Pol could tell that he was fighting against it, one corner of Archer’s mouth turned up. He was still wound tight, but Erika’s new approach seemed to take the edge off his tension and frustration. “Maybe you’re right,” he said. “Besides, a lot can happen in two hours.”

“It certainly can.” Erika raised an eyebrow and gave Archer a knowing look. “We’ll join you as soon as possible.”

Archer continued to stare at the viewscreen for a few moments after Erika signed off as though lost in thought, then he turned to his communications officer. “Hoshi, I want you to keep trying to…”

“I know, I know,” she replied wearily. “Anyone who speaks Vulcan.”

With a brisk nod of the head, Archer turned and headed for his ready room. “Let me know if you get lucky,” he grumbled.

Sometime later, Columbia arrived, joining Enterprise in her surveillance of the Vulcan ships. Looking for something useful to do to keep her mind off Trip’s absence, T’Pol asked Captain Hernandez if she could be of assistance to those who were processing the debris from the two ships. Somehow it seemed like the least she could do for those who’d lost their lives in the line of duty.

Hernandez was more than happy to accommodate her and, within a very short time of receiving Columbia’s scans of the debris fields, T’Pol was completely engrossed in the project. With no time for meditation, she found data analysis to be comforting. Order and method were just what she needed.

After what seemed like mere moments, T’Pol glanced at the chronometer near her work station. When she realized that the two hours allotted by Starfleet were almost up, she felt a cold hand close over her heart. This was all wrong. She had given her word to Trip that she would never abandon him again, but here she was preparing to fly away, leaving him alone on an alien ship just when he needed her the most. No doubt this was one of the reasons why Starfleet preferred not to assign married couples to the same ship. Where did her duty lie? Did she owe her primary allegiance to her husband or to her ship and its crew?

Taking several deep breaths, T’Pol focused her thoughts on her mate. It didn’t take her long, however, to realize that Trip would not be joining her in the white space they shared. Whatever project he was working on was all-consuming. He still sent intermittent waves of intense emotions coursing through their bond, but today she welcomed them. They served as undeniable proof that he was still with her.

With a subtle shake of the head, T’Pol reluctantly decided that it was time to forego any further attempts to make contact with her husband and focus instead on her responsibilities as first officer. With that in mind, she rose and walked across the bridge to the ready room.

Archer admitted her immediately, but when she entered the room, he remained standing in front of the viewport, staring out at two of the ships in Kiran’s squadron.

“You’re here to tell me that our time’s up, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” she answered quietly. “Our orders are clear. Since our hails have gone unanswered, we must return to Vulcan.”

After a moment of silence he turned to look at her. “I can’t explain it, T’Pol,” he said beseechingly, “but I know that if we follow orders and head back to Vulcan right now we’re going to miss out on something important. I can’t tell you what that ‘something’ is, but the day will come when Starfleet is going to regret pulling us out.”

“Be that as it may, we still…”

“…have to follow orders,” he said, finishing her sentence for her. “I know.” He briefly lowered his head and studied the deck plating. Finally he sighed and met her eyes. “Okay. Let’s get this over with.”

Archer allowed T’Pol to exit the ready room first. As soon as he was through the door he said, “Hoshi, inform Columbia that we’re preparing to get underway.”

While T’Pol proceeded to the science station, the captain walked over to Ensign Mayweather and placed a hand on the young man’s shoulder. “We’re going back to Vulcan, Travis. Lay in a course.”

“But, sir…” Ensign Mayweather turned his head so that he could look up at Archer. “…what about Commander Tucker? Are we really going to leave him here?”

A pained look flashed across Archer’s face, but he quickly tried to cover his lapse with a half-hearted smile. “I think Captain Hernandez was right,” he said, giving Travis’ shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “I’m sure the Vulcans will bring…”

“Captain!” Hoshi exclaimed, her eyes gleaming in triumph. “I have Minister T’Pau. She wants to speak with you.”

“It’s about time,” Archer muttered under his breath. With a brisk nod of his head, he said aloud, “Put her through, Ensign.”

The elfin face of T’Pau immediately filled the viewscreen. As usual, her emotional control was impeccable, but T’Pol thought there was something unsettling about her, as though some pent-up force of nature was waiting to break free.

“Good day, Captain Archer.”

“Minister T’Pau, what can I do for you?”

“It is unfortunate that circumstances forced Admiral Kiran to end the joint maneuvers so abruptly, but I think that it has proved to be a valuable experience for both our peoples. Please inform Starfleet that our ships will remain here for the next 24 hours. While we appreciate your repeated offers to help us, we do not require assistance. You are free to return to Vulcan. We have everything under control.”

“Do you really?” Archer replied in a sarcastic tone of voice. Unconsciously, he must have clamped down on his helmsman’s shoulder because Travis winced. “In case you haven’t noticed, Minister, you’re missing two ships. I’d say you can use all the help you can get.”

T’Pol was rather surprised by Archer’s biting remarks, but T’Pau seemed to be completely unfazed.

“I assure you, Captain, their absence has been duly noted.”

“Have you also noted that there are two large debris fields not too far from here?”

“That was unworthy of you.” T’Pau took a few moments to study Archer. “The Thorsh-yel has served as our eyes and ears in much the same way as Columbia has performed that task for you. I assure you that we are actively trying to determine what happened to our ships.”

“So why all the secrecy? We’re here, ready to help. So is Columbia.”

Mayweather must have twisted his body just enough to send a subtle signal to Archer to release his grip because the captain dropped his hand. With his attention focused squarely on Minister T’Pau, Archer appeared to be unaware that he had caused Travis any pain.

T’Pau drew herself up and regarded Archer coolly. “This is a Vulcan matter. We neither need nor desire outside assistance.”

“Then I guess we’ll just have to find out what happened for ourselves.”

“Do what you must. By allowing Columbia to search the area in question, we have already given you every opportunity to begin the process. You are free to draw your own conclusions.”

T’Pol could tell by the scowl on Archer’s face that that was not what he wanted to hear. She only hoped that he could continue to keep his anger in check.

“All right, T’Pau,” he snapped. “You’ve made it clear that we aren’t wanted here. We’ll go just as soon as Commander Tucker is back on board.”

“I’m afraid that will not be possible, Captain. Commander Tucker must attend a debriefing. He may have vital information which will aid us in our search for the truth.”

Archer stiffened noticeably. “If Trip is going to be interrogated, I want to be with him. He deserves to have at least one friend in the room.”

“It will not be an adversarial situation. Commander Tucker will not be inconvenienced in any way. When the Tar’hana returns to Vulcan, you may collect him.”

“Absolutely not. He’s my chief engineer. I’m responsible for him. I have no intention of stranding him on a ship full of strangers who don’t give a damn about him.”

“Then we are at an impasse, Captain,” T’Pau said. The stern look on her face left no doubt that she was displeased with this turn of events.

Crossing his arms defiantly, Archer glared back at the leader of the Vulcan High Council. It wasn’t hard for T’Pol to understand why he was upset. She knew he desperately wanted the Vulcans to do more than pay lip service to treating humans as equals. Now, when a tailor-made opportunity presented itself for Starfleet to prove their value as allies, the Vulcans quickly reverted to their old ways, effectively shutting out the humans once again.

Archer lifted his chin and took a deep breath. “If another human isn’t welcome at your debriefing, how about my first officer?” He jerked his head in the general direction of the science station. “T’Pol’s a Vulcan. She already knows the secret handshake or whatever it is you’re trying to hide from us.”

T’Pol hadn’t expected this, but she had to admit that she welcomed the opportunity to go aboard the Tar’hana. She wanted to see her husband, to prove to herself that he was all right.

“Get this straight, T’Pau,” Archer snapped when T’Pau cast a doubtful look at T’Pol and remained silent. “Somebody from Starfleet is going to be there with Trip when you put him through the wringer. You have a choice of Commander T’Pol or me. Take your pick. Which one of us is it going to be?”

T’Pau appeared to be unimpressed by Archer’s ultimatum. T’Pol could only hope that she was politically astute enough to see how damaging her refusal could be to future relations with Starfleet and Jonathan Archer in particular.

“If you insist, Captain…”

“I do.”

“We will certainly comply with your wishes. I will dispatch a shuttle to collect Commander T’Pol. It will not be necessary for Enterprise or Columbia to remain here. We will see that the commanders are returned safely to Vulcan.”

“We’ll wait,” Archer replied firmly.

“As you wish,” T’Pau said and turned her attention to T’Pol. “Commander, we look forward to your arrival.” She raised her left hand in the ta’al. “Live long and prosper.”

When the transmission ended, T’Pol said, “With your permission, Captain, I would like to go to my quarters and get ready.”

“Permission granted.”

While T’Pol rose and made her way to the turbolift, Archer added, “T’Pau probably won’t let much slip, but find out as much as you can. And try to keep Trip out of trouble.”

Looking back over her shoulder, T’Pol said, “I’m not sure that’s possible, but I’ll do my best.”

“I can’t ask for more.” Archer managed a weak smile. “Good luck.”

* * * * * * * * *

T’Pol had just enough time to go to her cabin and change into a clean uniform before she was called to the docking hatch. The shuttle took off as soon as she was on board.

From the moment the Tar’hana came into view, T’Pol was struck by the marked resemblance between that powerful battle cruiser and her sister ship, Seleya. Reflecting back, she knew that once-proud ship would always be an important part of her life. The training and experience she gained during her one-year posting as the deputy science officer had helped her immeasurably during her years on Enterprise. Unfortunately, those were not her final memories of the Seleya. Even though several years had passed, she was still haunted by the mental images of former crewmates driven mad by their exposure to trellium-D – and by her own loss of control. It was bitterly ironic that the two ships which had figured most prominently in her life would one day meet, and that one ship would be forced to destroy the other.

The sounds of the shuttle entering the launch bay brought T’Pol swiftly back to reality. When she stepped through the hatch, she found Minister T’Pau waiting for her.

“Commander T’Pol, your presence here is unnecessary,” T’Pau said in place of the traditional greeting, “but I thought it best to humor Captain Archer.” Without further comment she turned and started down the passageway.

T’Pol fell into step beside her. The mere fact that T’Pau was here at all made it clear that this situation was deemed to be of critical importance to the High Council.

“I understand the need for security,” T’Pol said, “but perhaps it would be wise to keep Starfleet informed about your investigation into the…problems encountered by Admiral Kiran’s squadron.”

“Have you been on Enterprise for so long that you have forgotten that we keep internal affairs private? The humans have concerns of their own which need to be addressed.”

“That may be true, but do not take Starfleet lightly. The humans learned a great deal during the Xindi conflict. They are a force to be reckoned with. It would be short-sighted to alienate them any further.”

“How much does Starfleet know about our present difficulties?” T’Pau asked as they entered the lift.

“They know that the Psthan and Klomak were destroyed, but they do not, as yet, know how or why.” T’Pol raised one eyebrow inquiringly. “Do you?”

T’Pau’s expression seemed to tighten, the lines of tension around her eyes becoming more pronounced. “We are still waiting for a report from the engineers.” Her eyes narrowed slightly as she studied T’Pol. “Preliminary reports indicate that Commander Tucker was instrumental in preventing further damage to our ships.”

Feeling her pulse quicken at the mention of her mate’s name, T’Pol clamped down hard on her emotions in an effort to keep her face impassive. “I do not find that surprising. He is a gifted engineer.”

“Apparently so. It appears that Vulcan is once again indebted to the commander.”

When the lift doors opened, T’Pau exited first. Following close behind, T’Pol could see two security guards posted outside a doorway at the far end of the corridor. If the layout of the Tar’hana was the same as the Seleya’s, the door led to the dining room used for diplomatic visits and formal entertaining.

As T’Pol drew closer, she suddenly knew that when the door opened, Trip would not be on the other side waiting for her. Struggling with her growing sense of unease, she took a deep breath and tried to reassure herself. Her mate was well; he would be with her soon.

As though she’d read T’Pol’s mind, T’Pau said, “Commander Tucker will be joining us in a few moments. He is still working with our engineers.” She gave a brisk nod to one of the security guards, and he opened the door for them.

While T’Pol pondered T’Pau unexpected revelation that Trip had evidently been allowed to assist the Vulcan engineers, she took a quick look around. The people in attendance must have just finished their evening meal because the stewards were in the final stages of clearing the tables and removing the dirty dishes. This room, with its walls of deep, rich cranberry red, was more formal than its counterpart on the Seleya. The creamy white and burnished gold appointments clearly reflected the important role the Tar’hana played as the fleet’s primary venue for diplomatic functions.

At the far side of the dining room, Admiral Kiran was deep in conversation with Captain V’Lin and Ministers T’Lan and Herac. Ambassador Soval sat next to Minister Vaaris at one of a dozen small round tables, which were scattered around the left side of the room. Off to the right, five men and one woman, all dressed in the dark grey uniforms of the Vulcan fleet, stood quietly in front of a large rectangular banquet table, which had been pushed against the wall. T’Pol had no trouble recognizing Captain Sirek of the Sas-a-shar, Captain Norr of the Sh’Raan, Captain Vanik of the Ti’Mur, Captain Ralaan of the Kit’es, Captain T’Mira of the Tal’Kir and Captain Tavek of the Nyran. Taking one last look at the tightly knit group, she couldn’t help but wonder why the officers appeared to be intentionally distancing themselves from the members of the High Council.

“This way, Commander.” T’Pau pointed T’Pol toward the table where Soval and Vaaris had just risen in anticipation of the ladies joining them. “I believe Ambassador Soval wishes to speak with you.”

Soval motioned for T’Pol to sit next to him. When the four of them were seated around the table, he said in a voice barely above a whisper, “We understand that your presence here places you in a very difficult position, but this was neither the time nor the place for Captain Archer to learn the details of the crisis we are facing.”

“Captain Archer and Starfleet already know that two of our ships have been lost,” T’Pol replied. “They found the debris fields. They know about the explosions.” She was surprised that Soval apparently gave the humans so little credit.

“Yes, but they don’t know what caused the explosions that destroyed the Klomak and Psthan.”

“It is my understanding that you don’t have that information either.”

“We will momentarily,” Vaaris answered.

“We just received word that the engineers are prepared to make a preliminary report,” Soval added. “It’s very possible that…”

The instant the door swished open all eyes turned to the two men who strode purposefully into the room – all eyes, that is, but T’Pol’s. Her attention was focused on only one man, the man whose life was now irrevocably bound to hers.

When Trip caught sight of her, his grim look softened imperceptibly. Without breaking stride, he sent a wave of sheer joy coursing through her mind. She could tell that his need for her was almost overpowering, but he fought to keep his feelings under control. He obviously understood how much was at stake here for Vulcan, for Earth, and for them personally.

Watching intently as her mate crossed the room towards her, T’Pol was only vaguely aware that the other people in the room were moving closer to hear what the engineers had to say. These people held no interest for her. There was only Trip.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he came to a stop directly in front of her chair. When she looked up and gazed into his clear blue eyes, she realized that, against all logic, she’d been holding her breath.

“It’s good to see you, Commander,” he said in a carefully controlled voice.

“Captain Archer sent me. He’s concerned about your welfare.” With some effort, T’Pol managed to keep her expression devoid of emotion.

Trip nodded in acknowledgment. “When this briefing’s over, perhaps you’d fill me in on how things stand on Enterprise.” Although he made no effort to touch her, it was painfully obvious to T’Pol that he would give anything to throw caution aside and gather her into his arms.

With everyone finally in attendance, T’Pau immediately took charge. “Please sit down, Commander Tucker.” She motioned to a chair at the next table. “Subcommander Tanes, we are eager to hear your report. Tell us what you’ve discovered.”

“Of course.” Tanes, the Tar’hana’s chief engineer, widened his stance slightly and clasped his hands behind his back. “As soon as we dropped out of warp, Admiral Kiran ordered me to work with Commander Tucker to try to find the cause of the explosions on Klomak and Psthan, and to ensure that the other ships in the squadron were not in danger. During a thorough examination of the engines, we discovered that the plasma injectors were dangerously close to igniting. There is no question that they were the cause of the explosions.”

“And no one realized there was a problem with the engine or the plasma injectors?” Captain Sirek asked.

Tanes’ back stiffened. “No, sir. Everything appeared to be normal.”

When there were no further comments, the stocky, powerfully built engineer continued with his report. “The plasma injectors were defective, causing them to ignite shortly after the engines reached maximum warp. A check of the other four ships in the squadron revealed that they, too, had plasma injectors which were dangerously close to igniting. The probability that all seven ships would have the same defective plasma injectors is astronomical; therefore, we must assume that it was sabotage.”

“Are you absolutely certain?” Minister Vaaris asked, leaning forward in his seat.

“Yes. Someone replaced all of our injectors with adulterated ones; even our spare injectors were compromised. Ship’s take on injectors as needed rather than replacing all of them at one time. Therefore, for all of the injectors on one ship to carry the same defect would be highly unusual. For that to happen on seven ships – all in regular service and not coming from refits –that is, quite frankly, impossible. Not without outside assistance.

“The simple fact remains that if Commander Tucker hadn’t noticed an inconsistency in the performance of the Tar’hana’s engine and prevailed upon Admiral Kiran to drop out of warp, the remaining ships in the squadron would have been destroyed in a matter of minutes.”

All eyes turned toward Trip as the room fell silent. Shifting in his seat, it was obvious that he was uncomfortable being scrutinized by a room full of Vulcans.

The silence was finally broken by Minister Herac who stated categorically, “I find that hard to believe.” He pointed an accusing finger at Trip. “This man is a human. Do you expect us to believe that a human knows more about these ships than our own engineers?”

Kiran stiffened in response to Herac’s rebuke. Before Tanes had a chance to respond, the admiral stated, “Vulcan has the best trained, most experienced engineers in this quadrant. We do not…”

“Commander Tucker is a remarkable man,” Minister T’Lan said, effectively preventing the admiral from finishing his thought. Her soft, high-pitched voice had surprisingly cut right through Kiran’s bluster. She took several steps forward and, pulling out a chair, slid into the seat next to Trip. “Do not underestimate him, Herac. He is far more intelligent than he appears at first glance.”

Minister Herac was obviously not impressed. “Commander Tucker, have you ever set foot on a Vulcan ship before today?”

“No, sir.” Trip folded his hands in his lap after casting an uneasy glance at T’Lan.

“And yet we’re expected to believe that you were able to divine that something was wrong with the warp engine. That is not logical.”

“With all due respect, Minister,” Trip said, “logic is what got you into this mess in the first place.”

Herac folded his arms, shoving both hands up his sleeves in the process. “Explain.”

As she took in the rather sour look on her former father-in-law’s face, T’Pol hoped that Trip hadn’t gone too far. It was unwise to provoke powerful members of the High Council.

“Whoever sabotaged the plasma injectors had you Vulcans pegged to a tee. They didn’t just tamper with the injectors; they also did a number on your instrumentation. They knew that if the readings showed that the engines were functioning normally, your engineers wouldn’t question them. In this case, logic cost the crewmen on the Klomak and Psthan their lives. I know it may not set real well with you, but there may be times when you just have to throw logic out the window and use a little common sense.”

“Commander Tucker is correct,” Tanes said. “Our instrumentation was compromised. It…never occurred to us that the readings might be inaccurate.” Even though the engineer appeared to be perfectly poised as he stood beside T’Pau, there was something in his manner that indicated that he had been deeply affected by the day’s tragic events.

“If your assessment is correct, Subcommander Tanes,” T’Pau said, motioning him to the chair next to Trip, “we are faced with a problem that far exceeds the loss of two ships. We must act swiftly to determine how our security was breached and why.”

“If I hadn’t seen the explosions with my own eyes, I would not have believed this was possible,” Captain Ralaan said. Hands behind his back, he stood rigidly straight amidst the other ships’ captains, a group which now included Captain V’Lin. “Maximum security was in force on Kit’es. A saboteur could not have gained access to my ship.”

“I agree,” Captain Tavek echoed. “I talked with my engineers and made a thorough check of the security logs. A saboteur could not have reached engineering. My security personnel would have intercepted them immediately after they set foot on <>i>Nyran.”

“I, too, can attest that no one entered engineering,” Tanes said. “I questioned my engineers – all of them. I, too, checked the logs. Yet someone was able to switch all our plasma injectors. That is an undeniable fact.”

“It’s possible if he or she looked just like you,” Trip observed quietly. “Maybe it was a member of your own crew.”

“No.” The word came simultaneously from several people around the room.

“Yet someone gained access to our ships,” Minister Vaaris said. “It is illogical to dismiss Commander Tucker’s assumptions just because we find them unpalatable.”

The door suddenly opened and a sublieutenant entered. Without uttering a word, she walked over to Admiral Kiran, handed him a padd and then turned around and left. Kiran quickly looked over the information on the padd before stowing it in his pocket.

“As soon as Subcommander Tanes gave me his initial report on possible causes of the explosions,” Kiran said, “I ordered every ship in the fleet to immediately run a complete check of their warp engines. According to the reports we’ve received so far, only the seven ships in my squadron were affected. This can only be seen as a deliberate attempt to discredit me and disrupt the joint maneuvers with Starfleet. I will not tolerate such insolence. The perpetrators must be found and punished.”

“I assure you, Admiral, the High Council will do everything possible to bring those responsible to justice.” Vaaris got to his feet and turned to face Kiran. “To facilitate our inquiry into the matter, Admiral, I would like Captain Sirek to serve as liaison between the Security Directorate and the fleet – with your permission, of course.”

Kiran took a moment to consider the request. “That is acceptable. Captain, you will make yourself available.”

“As you wish, sir,” Sirek replied with a nod of the head.

“Now to bring you up to date,” Vaaris said to the group. “Major Luvan of the Security Directorate is, at the moment, coordinating a squadron-wide investigation. We have already begun security checks on all members of the fleet, with special emphasis on the flight crews and support staff in this squadron. We are checking all security logs and supply manifests. We have initiated security checks on all contractors that have had dealings with the fleet.”

“So you agree with Commander Tucker,” Herac said, interrupting Vaaris’ report. “You have already decided that a Vulcan is responsible for this terrible crime.”

“Not at all, Minister. As soon as we received the first distress call from the Tar’hana, we alerted the Security Directorate. They were given our mandate to conduct a thorough investigation; we placed no limits on them…no restrictions.”

“Perhaps we need look no further than Earth.” Herac glared disdainfully at Trip. “It has come to my attention that Terra Prime, a human terrorist organization, has already claimed responsibility for the loss of our ships.”

Trip stared at Herac in disbelief before turning to T’Pol. “Have you heard anything about Terra Prime?” he asked in a voice tight with emotion.

Stunned, T’Pol whispered, “No.” Then remembering where she was, she quickly added in a more normal tone of voice, “Enterprise has been in direct contact with Starfleet since the beginning of the joint maneuvers. We have received no report about Terra Prime or any other terrorist groups. Perhaps Minister Herac’s informant is in error.”

“Has anybody else heard anything about this?” Trip’s eyes swept the room.

At first his plea met with only blank stares, but finally Vaaris said, “We received a transmission from Terra Prime sixteen minutes ago on what we thought was a secure diplomatic frequency. The message indicated that they will continue to target our people until we permanently sever relations with Earth.”

Tensely, Trip scrubbed a hand across his brow. T’Pol could tell that he was struggling, much as she was, to make sense of this latest revelation. The dark specter of Terra Prime seemed to be constantly hovering over them no matter how far they traveled from Earth.

“Well, I don’t believe it,” Trip finally exclaimed. “Not for a minute. There’s no way that bunch could have pulled this off. Their organization couldn’t handle something this big. Besides, I’ve had enough dealings with Admiral Kiran to know that he isn’t going to allow a human to get close to one of his ships, let alone every ship in the squadron.”

“And yet here you are, Commander,” Herac responded.

“Yeah, well I think it’s safe to say that I’m the exception.”

“Could it be that you seek to place blame on others only to divert attention from your own species?”

Trip shook his head. “That’s not my intention. All I’m asking is that you keep an open mind. Don’t allow that transmission to blind you to other possibilities.”

“Other possibilities?” Herac raised an eyebrow as though an idea had just occurred to him. “Consider this, Commander Tucker. Perhaps you are only trying to divert attention from yourself. For all we know, you could be in league with these terrorists.”

Trip was on his feet almost before Herac had finished speaking. As waves of grief and anger rolled off him, T’Pol threw up her mental shields in an attempt to protect herself. She knew that Herac couldn’t have accused her mate of anything that would have hurt him more.

“That was irresponsible, Herac,” Soval said. “You have no basis for making such an accusation. The commander has proved himself to be a loyal friend to Vulcan on more than one occasion. If it wasn’t for him…”

Without taking his eyes off Herac, Trip silenced Soval with a wave of his hand. The rigid set of his shoulders was the only outward sign of the monumental fight he was waging to maintain his composure.

“I resent having my name mentioned in the same breath as those filthy bastards. They took something precious from me, something dearer than my own life. I hope they all rot in hell!”

“Mere words, Commander,” Herac continued, seemingly unfazed by Trip’s declaration. “Over the past month, you have been given unprecedented access to information regarding our fleet. And you were on board when the explosions occurred. You would seem to have been perfectly placed to aid the terrorists.”

Trip gritted his teeth. “I may have been on board,” he said tightly, “but I don’t make a habit of killing people in cold blood. I’m not a terrorist.”

“Could it be that your own cowardice was all that stood between our ships and total destruction? Isn’t it possible that your desire to preserve your own life motivated you to alert…”

Deeply upset by Herac’s unconscionable behavior, T’Pol was just about to protest when a voice from behind her boomed, “Enough!”

Caught off guard, Herac turned and stared at Admiral Kiran.

“Commander Tucker is not involved,” Kiran stated in a manner that brooked no argument. “Since your accusations are without merit, Minister, I suggest we move on.”

Recovering quickly, Herac looked around the room. When no one appeared ready to support him, he said, “I was just exploring some of the possibilities the commander spoke of. But perhaps that is a discussion best left for another time.”

“Yes.” T’Pau looked witheringly at Herac before motioning for Trip to be seated. “We still have things to discuss.”

“I believe Commander Tucker has told you all he knows,” T’Pol said, rising from her chair. Captain Archer had been right to insist that someone from Starfleet should be present. Trip had suffered enough abuse. She only hoped that Herac hadn’t singled him out because of her. “I think it would be best if we returned to Enterprise.”

“Not quite yet,” T’Lan said, sitting back in her chair. “The commander hasn’t told us who he thinks is responsible for this heinous crime. He is a very perceptive young man. I’m sure he has given the matter some thought.”

“I don’t think that’s my place, ma’am.”

“You maintain that the Earth group, Terra Prime, isn’t responsible. You hint that the perpetrators could be Vulcans or people who resemble Vulcans.” T’Lan tilted her head to the right. “You obviously have an opinion. I would like to hear it.”

“Speculation serves no useful purpose,” T’Pol said, interceding on Trip’s behalf. “We should wait until more facts are available before formulating any opinions.”

“I believe Commander Tucker is capable of speaking for himself,” T’Lan said with a slight edge in her voice.

Before T’Pol could reply, Captain V’Lin took a step forward and said, “I, for one, have no interest in hearing Commander Tucker’s opinions. He is a human; I seriously doubt that he would have anything useful to say. I am, however, concerned about the unprecedented access this man has been given to our classified technology. I want his assurances that he will not use or disseminate any such information without our authorization.”

Trip shook his head. “Sorry. I’m afraid that’s one promise I’m not willing to make.”

“Is this how you repay our trust?” V’Lin asked. “By stealing from us? Perhaps profiting from the misfortunes of others is the only way you humans are able to advance.”

This time Trip didn’t rise to the bait. “I can sympathize with your position, Captain, but if Earth is threatened and something I might have inadvertently picked up today can save lives, I’m gonna use it. I’m sorry if that upsets you, but I’m not gonna change my mind.”

T’Pol could see the resolution on Trip’s face and knew that, on this, he would not budge. She almost felt sorry for V’Lin. He obviously had no idea what he was getting himself into. If he continued to press the point, he was about to find out just how stubborn a human could be. She wasn’t sure that he would ever completely recover from the experience.

“That is totally unacceptable,” V’Lin replied, a faint hint of green coloring his cheeks. “We must protect…”

“While I do not approve of losing control of our technology,” Captain Norr said, essentially saving V’Lin from himself, “in this instance I must agree with Commander Tucker. We are all officers charged with the responsibility of protecting our planets. Humans are no different than Vulcans in that respect.”

“But humans are impulsive and undisciplined,” V’Lin countered. “They cannot be trusted to…”

“We must not lose sight of the larger issue which confronts us,” T’Pau said firmly. “Our primary concern must be the search for those responsible for the loss of our ships. We cannot afford to be sidetracked by petty matters which will not help us achieve our goal.”

“I’m sure Starfleet Intelligence would be willing to provide you with any current information they have on Terra Prime’s activities,” Trip said, walking over to stand next to T’Pol. “Just tell us what you need. We’ll do anything we can to help.”

“That won’t be necessary,” T’Pau replied coolly. “We appreciate your offer, but this is a Vulcan matter. The Security Directorate is perfectly capable of handling this situation without outside interference.”

“Beggin’ your pardon, ma’am, but you can’t keep this thing a secret. If Terra Prime contacted you, they’re sure as hell not gonna just leave it at that. They’re probably sending out broadcasts right now to every species that’s been in contact with Earth over the past hundred years, warning them that they might be next.”

“We will not make an issue of your access to our technology, Commander, but on this we must stand firm. Everything that has been said here has been said in confidence. When the time is right, we will brief Starfleet on today’s tragic events. Until then, we must ask you to remain silent.”

“I think that course of action is unwise.” T’Pol knew she was probably wasting her time, but she didn’t think T’Pau and the others fully realized how close they were to permanently alienating the humans. “Starfleet is growing tired of your secrecy. They expect to be treated as allies, not irresponsible children who must be held at arm’s length.”

“We have agreed to their joint maneuvers,” Kiran responded, a scowl wrinkling his brow. “We have given Commander Tucker unprecedented access to one of our battle cruisers. We did not prevent Columbia from investigating the areas where the explosions took place, even though some of us thought that allowing such access was ill-advised. We have made one concession after another. What more do they want from us?”

“Well, you could start by talking to us,” Trip said. “Let us help, when we can. That’s all we ask.”

T’Pau looked rather uncomfortable. “When we return to Vulcan, we will convene the High Council. I cannot make any promises, but we will take your suggestions under advisement. In the meantime, Starfleet must be patient.”

“They may feel that they have been patient long enough,” T’Pol observed.

“Be that as it may, I must still ask you to abide by our wishes. Commander Tucker, do I have your word?”

Sighing wearily, Trip said, “Captain Archer’s going to expect me to make a report when I get back to Enterprise.”

“Tell him we are investigating. If, at some future time, we are able to determine what happened, we may share that information with him.”

“Ma’am, the captain’s no fool.” Caught in the middle once again, Trip ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. “He’s gonna know I not telling him the truth. I can’t promise….”

“Commander,” Soval interjected, “tell Captain Archer that I will speak with him when I return to Vulcan.” Rising to his feet, he motioned toward the door. “Now, since there is nothing else, let me walk you to the shuttle.”

“We are not finished, Soval,” T’Pau said.

“I will return as soon as I have seen our guests on their way.”

It was obvious that T’Pau was far from satisfied, but she didn’t challenge Soval further.

When they started to leave Subcommander Tanes got to his feet and addressed Trip. “Your assistance today was most welcome, Commander. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work together again someday.”

Trip smiled for the first time since he’d entered the room. “I’ll look forward to it. You’re one hell of an engineer.”

Off to the left, Captain Norr stepped forward and raised his hand in the ta’al. “Live long and prosper, Commander.” Much to T’Pol’s surprise, Captains Ralaan and T’Mira immediately followed suit.

Without prompting, Trip returned the gestures and replied, “Peace and long life.”

Trip started for the door, but he’d only taken a few steps before he paused. Turning back toward the group, he snapped to attention. “Admiral, I want to thank you for your courtesy, sir. I only wish I could have done more.”

At first T’Pol was concerned that Kiran would ignore her mate, but the admiral finally nodded his head stiffly in response.

Without further comment, Trip did an about face and followed T’Pol and Soval out the door.

Once they were outside in the corridor, Trip took a deep breath and flexed his shoulders, trying to ease his tense muscles.

“You did well,” T’Pol murmured.

Trip shook his head. “I shouldn’t have lost my temper in there.”

“You were provoked.”

“Even so, I played right into Herac’s hand. Someday maybe I’ll learn to keep my mouth shut. I don’t think Torok would be too happy with me.”

T’Pol thought it was best to change the subject. “I was surprised that you singled out Admiral Kiran. It was an admirable gesture, but he has hardly been a friend to us in the past.”

“I know that,” Trip replied, a weary grin spreading across his face, “but I think he’s finally succumbing to my boyish charm.”

When T’Pol looked askance at him, he sighed and grew serious again. “After the explosions, I figured the admiral would just throw me in the brig and leave me to rot, but he didn’t. He sent me down to engineering, and the next thing I knew I was working on their engine. That was a huge concession on his part. I just wanted to show my appreciation.”

“Do not expect too much,” Soval said, stepping into the lift after the two commanders. “Kiran simply responded logically to a catastrophic situation. I’m afraid I wouldn’t count on a permanent change in his attitude towards you or T’Pol.”

“I’m not expecting miracles.” Trip leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes. “At this point, I’m just willing to take what I can get.”

“That is very wise.”

As the two men talked, T’Pol took pleasure in listening to the timbre and cadence of her husband’s voice. She had been very lucky this time – far luckier than the families of the two crews whose lives had been cut short so violently. If Trip wasn’t such a consummate engineer… No. T’Pol gave her head a subtle shake. She didn’t want to think about just how close she’d come to becoming a widow. At least he was here with her now.

When the lift stopped, Soval lead the way to the launch bay. The pilot saw them enter and immediately opened the shuttle’s hatch, ready to return them to Enterprise, but Trip pulled up before they reached the shuttle.

“Just a moment, Ambassador,” he said with a quick glance around the massive launch bay to be sure that no one was close enough to overhear their conversation.”

“What is it, Commander?”

“I just wanted to thank you for your support back there.”

Soval moved forward until he was standing in front of Trip. “Minister Herac was clearly out of line. He has made no secret of the fact that he opposes expanding our relations with Starfleet and United Earth. Your presence here today stands as a symbol of everything he fears the most.”

Trip looked skeptical. “I find it hard to believe that the minister is afraid of anything, especially me.”

“On the contrary, in some people’s minds there is a growing concern that Earth is trying to run roughshod over us, forcing us into alliances that may rob us of the ability to control our own destiny.”

“That’s just plain nonsense. Earth doesn’t want to control anybody. We just understand that there’s safety in numbers. After the Xindi attack, we were left to fend for ourselves. We’d just as soon not go through that again, especially now that the Romulans are sniffing around.”

“It would be foolhardy for our government to allow Vulcan to become isolated,” T’Pol remarked. “We are being attacked from without and from within. Earth and the Coalition may be our only hope to keep our people free from subjugation.”

Trip nodded in agreement. “Please do what you can, Ambassador, to make the High Council understand how critical the situation is. I don’t think either Starfleet or the people of Earth are gonna put up with too much more of this close-mouthed style of diplomacy. The Coalition is falling apart, and I’m afraid that a lot of the blame for that is going to fall squarely on the Vulcans.”

“Tomorrow, I will schedule a meeting with Ambassador Belliveau and representatives of Starfleet, including Captain Archer, to try and ease their minds,” Soval said. “I will also speak to Torok. He can be very persuasive. Perhaps he can find a way to influence the members of the High Council.”

“We should go,” T’Pol murmured to her mate. “Captain Archer will be wondering what is keeping us.”

“Right.” Trip ran a hand nervously over his brow. “I’m not lookin’ forward to this. The captain is never gonna buy the crap T’Pau’s dishin’ out – not in a million years.”

When T’Pol started to speak, he raised a hand, silencing her. “I know, I know. Be patient, let Soval handle the captain, and get in the shuttle.” He started to offer his hand to Soval, but thought better of it. “Thanks again, Ambassador. Have a safe trip back to Vulcan.”

“Good-bye, Commander.”

Trip started for the shuttle, but when T’Pol didn’t follow immediately, he turned back with a questioning look on his face. “Go ahead,” she said, having understood Soval’s signal, asking her to remain for a private word. “I will be with you in a moment.”

When Trip waved his hand in acknowledgment and continued on to the shuttle, Soval murmured, “I am concerned for his safety and yours, T’Pol. If Major Luvan is unavailable, contact me and I will have Lieutenant Komas assigned to the commander. Mr. Tucker is not to leave Enterprise without a guard. Is that understood?”

“Yes.” T’Pol didn’t want to think about the very real possibility that Trip might be in danger, but she couldn’t deny that he would be vulnerable whenever he left the ship.

“Talk to Lieutenant Reed. I want you to have a guard at all times, as well. Even on your own ship. He can arrange that. If that is not possible, I will arrange for a member of the Security Ministry to act as a bodyguard for you.”

“I don’t need protection.” She understood that Trip might be in danger – one attempt had already been made on his life – but why did she need a bodyguard? She wasn’t a threat to anyone.

Soval grew even more serious. “Think, T’Pol. Your relationship with the commander is well documented, thanks to Terra Prime’s attack on Earth and the subsequent trial. Your enemies may try to use you to get to him. He should not be placed in the position of having to choose between doing his duty or saving your life.”

No sooner had Soval finished speaking than an unpleasant memory surfaced. She shuddered inwardly when she remembered the phase pistol that had been held to her head. To save her, Trip had agreed, against his better judgment, to fix Terra Prime’s targeting system. She wouldn’t willingly put him in such an untenable position again.

“I will speak to Lieutenant Reed. He will see that I am protected.”

“Good. Now go. Commander Tucker is waiting for you.”

With a nod of her head, T’Pol left the ambassador and headed to the shuttle. Upon entering, she saw that Trip had chosen a seat in the back corner. He looked up as she walked over and took a seat close to him. Given their almost overpowering need to be together, she realized that it was necessary to keep an empty seat between them as a constant reminder of their need to be discreet.

“What did Soval want?” Trip whispered.

“He thinks I should have a bodyguard.”

“Good for him.” Trip folded his arms and looked out the viewport as the shuttle left the launch bay.

Seeing him deep in thought, T’Pol took a moment to study his face. He was still boyishly handsome, but the carefree innocence was gone. He had matured both as an officer and as a man, but the added knowledge and wisdom he’d acquired over the past few years had not come without a price. The optimistic spirit, the very essence of the man she had first learned to care for, was still there, but it was struggling to survive in a world that continued to heap greater and greater responsibilities on his shoulders. Fortunately, now that they were together, she could help shoulder his burden.

Thinking back to the events of the past hour, she felt a rush of pride. Trip had been placed in a most difficult position, and he’d held his own. The Charles Tucker III she had first met in Captain Archer’s ready room could never have been placed in a room full of Vulcans and subjected to a series of unwarranted and inflammatory insinuations without creating a scene. It seemed as though she could almost see him grow and change a little each day: learning tolerance; absorbing her culture; developing his skills as a leader; learning to understand and value himself as a person. He was, indeed, a remarkable man.

As they began the approach to Enterprise, she glanced out the corner of her eye and noticed the sadness in his face. He was also, she was forced to admit, a deeply troubled man. After a courageous struggle, he was finally winning his battle with depression, but she knew that it wouldn’t take much for the darkness to claim him once again. This time, however, she could add her strength to his, waging the fight together. Defeat was not an option.

“Trip,” she murmured barely above a whisper, “what is it?”

He only shook his head.

“I know something is troubling you. Please tell me what it is.”

“It’s not important.”

“We promised to be honest with one another. I can’t be of help if you won’t tell me why you’re troubled. Is it the things that were said at the briefing?”

“No.” Pressing his lips together, he wrapped his arms around his body a little tighter. “Just do what Soval told ya.”

“Trip?”

He shook his head again, keeping his eyes averted.

This was unacceptable. He should know by now that she could be every bit as stubborn as he was. Leaning toward him, she whispered insistently, “Don’t shut me out. Tell me what is bothering you.”

He rubbed a hand tensely across his mouth before dropping both hands into his lap. “If anything I ever said or did put you in danger…” Biting his lip, he took a deep breath and started again. “If anything happened to you, I don’t think I could go on living. You’re everything to me.”

T’Pol’s arms ached to console him, but this was neither the time nor the place. Instead, she whispered, “Don’t be concerned about me. I will talk to Lieutenant Reed; he will see that I’m well protected.” Summoning up all her emotional control, she sat back in her seat. They would have to be patient. After they reported to Captain Archer, they could finally be alone.

There was a slight bump as the shuttle docked with Enterprise. “Well,” Trip murmured, slapping his hands on his thighs, “I guess it’s show time. I sure hope the captain’s in a good mood.”

Lieutenant Reed met them at the docking hatch, even though he was technically off duty. “Welcome back.” Smiling, he stuck out his hand for Trip to shake. “It’s good to see you, Commander.”

“You, too, Malcolm,” Trip replied with a grin that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“Captain Archer wants to see both of you.” Reed’s expression sobered. “He’s waiting for you in his ready room.”

“And you’re here to make sure we don’t take a detour?”

Reed shifted uncomfortably. “That’s correct.”

“Then I guess we’d better not keep him waitin’.” Following Trip’s lead, the three of them started down the corridor.

“Not long after you left,” Reed said to T’Pol, “the captain received a call from Admiral Gardner. When the transmission ended, the captain commed me and announced that his ready room was off limits until you came back on board.”

“Great,” Trip muttered. “Things just keep gettin’ better and better.”

“Dare I ask how things went over there?”

“I kinda wish you wouldn’t.”

Sighing, Reed pointed toward the ready room. “I think you can find your way from here.” He clapped Trip on the shoulder. “Good luck.”

“Thanks. I think we’re gonna need it.”

As soon as they entered the ready room, T’Pol knew that something dire had happened. Archer sat behind his desk, staring straight ahead at his monitor. Even when they moved closer, he made no effort to acknowledge their presence.

Glancing nervously at T’Pol, Trip said, “You wanted to see us, sir.”

Archer sat motionless for a few more moments and then, taking a deep breath, pressed the comm button. “Archer to the bridge. Set a course for Vulcan. Warp 4. Inform Captain Hernandez of our departure. Archer out.”

When he still failed to acknowledge them, Trip finally asked bewilderedly, “Cap’n, don’t you want to hear our report?”

Archer slowly turned to face them. “Put it in writing. If I get a chance, I’ll read it later. We’ve got bigger problems to attend to right now. Apparently the Andorians went ahead and signed a non-aggression pact with the Romulans.”

“What!” Trip exclaimed. “Are you sure? They’ve barely had time to meet, let alone negotiate a treaty.”

“If I had to guess, I’d say the Romulans just gave the Andorians everything they wanted.” Archer rose from his chair and, ducking under the beam, began to pace. “Starfleet Intelligence has a contact in the Andorian Embassy on Earth. He leaked the information a couple of hours ago. Anyway, we’ll know more tomorrow; the Andorians scheduled an early morning meeting with representatives of the Coalition.”

“Do the Vulcans know?”

Archer shrugged. “I have no idea. And quite honestly, I’m not sure I really give a damn.”

“You don’t mean that, Cap’n.”

“Don’t I?” Archer fumed. “We wouldn’t be in this situation if it wasn’t for the Vulcans. The High Council is so busy with their logic and their petty little feuds that they’re blind to the fact that they just put their world and everyone else in this sector at risk.” He stabbed a finger in the air as he made his points. “The only hope we had for peace flew away a month ago with those two Andorian ships – all because the damn Vulcans don’t have even a basic conception of how to be an ally.”

“Cap’n!” When Archer spun around to face him, Trip motioned with his head in T’Pol’s direction.

Frustrated and angry, Archer scrubbed his hands over his face as he tried to calm down. “I’m sorry if I was out of line, T’Pol, but I’ve just about had it. And I know that I’m not alone. The time is coming when Earth is going to have to take a good hard look at our alliance with your people. It may be a luxury we can no longer afford.”

T’Pol had to take a moment to collect herself. Since she’d made the decision to accompany Archer’s ship into the Expanse, she dreaded the thought of being forced to choose between her people and the humans. Now it appeared as though her worst nightmare was coming true. She could end up alienated from her people and an anathema on Earth. All doors would be closed to her. Where could she go? What could…

She blinked suddenly when Trip lightly brushed his hand against her arm. Looking up at him, she was warmed by his reassuring smile. Brief though it was, it told her everything she needed to know: she was not alone. Whatever happened, they would face things together.

Her strength renewed, T’Pol said, “I understand your frustration, Captain. Rest assured that a number of influential people on my world are doing everything they can to promote a new spirit of cooperation and understanding.”

“I hope you’re right, T’Pol. I just hope it isn’t too little too late.”

Clasping her hands behind her back, she lifted her chin, determined not to let Archer see how deeply disturbed she was by all of this. “How will this pact affect the Coalition?”

“I wish I knew,” Archer replied. “The informant indicated that Andoria would leave the Coalition as a condition of the pact. I think the Tellarites will stay. As for the others...I’m not overly optimistic.”

“What are our orders?” Trip asked.

“Starfleet wants us to persuade the members of the High Council to see reason. I’m going to meet with Ambassador Belliveau tomorrow afternoon to begin hammering out a plan of action. I doubt that we’ll be able to do much good, but we have to try.

Columbia’sbeen ordered to Andoria to try and mend fences. They’ll layover on Vulcan for a couple of days and then head out. To be honest, I think Captain Hernandez stands a better chance of succeeding than we do. The Andorians may still be interested in maintaining diplomatic relations with Earth…especially if the Vulcans are out of the picture.”

His anger spent, Archer walked back to his desk and flopped down in his chair. “Go and get some sleep. It looks as though tomorrow’s going to be a busy day.”

T’Pol was concerned by the strain she saw in the captain’s face. He’d invested so much of himself in the Coalition; this had to be a devastating blow.

“I’m sorry,” she murmured. “Given the chance, I will do everything in my power to convince my people to support the Coalition.”

“Thanks.” Archer swiveled his chair to look at her. “I really mean that, T’Pol. I know none of this was your fault.” He leaned forward, folding his hands on the desk in front of him. “I owe you an apology for taking my anger out on you. You didn’t deserve that. You’ve been nothing but a loyal friend to me and to Starfleet. I don’t think I could run this ship without you.”

T’Pol hadn’t expected an apology, but she was pleased that the captain had made the gesture. It gave her some assurance that she would be allowed to keep her position on Enterprise, at least for the time being.

“With your permission, sir,” Trip said, “If there’s nothing else, I think we’d like to head to our quarters.”

Archer nodded. “Permission granted.”

When Trip failed to move, Archer asked, “Is there something else, Commander?”

Trip chewed on his lower lip a moment before replying, “Maybe the informant got things wrong. It’s happened before. We could be worrying about nothing.”

“I hope you’re right.” Archer managed a weak smile. “Anyway, I’m glad you’re back, Trip.”

“It’s good to be back,” Trip said as he opened the door. His smile couldn’t hide his concern for his friend. “You could do with some sleep yourself, sir. Would you like a sedative? I can send for Doctor Phlox.”

“No, I’ll be fine. I’ve called a senior staff meeting for 0930. I’ll see you both then.”

“Good night, sir.”

As Trip and T’Pol entered the turbolift, they knew without speaking that their destination was her quarters. Taking up positions on opposite sides of the lift, they focused their attention straight ahead. No words were exchanged.

When they reached E Deck, they quickened their pace, taking care to give the impression to the few crewmen they passed that they were just two officers going about their business as usual. Trip even managed to exchange a few pleasantries with the crewmen. As soon as they reached T’Pol’s quarters, however, it was all he could do to get the door open before they fell into each other’s arms.

Alone in a dark room lit only by starlight, they desperately clung to one another as though they’d been separated for years instead of a single day. Mortality had cast a dark, angry cloud over their life together, and they felt compelled to do whatever was necessary to chase it away.

“I didn’t think I was ever going to see you again,” Trip whispered, his voice breaking. “When the Psthan exploded, I…”

Before he could finish his thought, T’Pol grabbed his face with both hands and pulled him into a bruising kiss. Trip responded immediately, further fueling her passion with his own. Hands traveled urgently over bodies, mapping the erotic journey the two lovers soon intended to embark on together.

This was what she had been yearning for since they were parted: the texture of his skin beneath her fingertips, the feel of his tongue as it dueled with hers, the intoxicating scent that was his and his alone. There was no logic, no reason, only an all-consuming need to claim him as her own once again.

Rubbing against his growing erection, she murmured breathlessly, “Take me to bed, husband.”

Trip stopped nibbling on her neck and stood motionless for what seemed like an eternity. Then slowly, sensually, he began to run both hands over her hips and up her torso, lingering at the swell of her breasts. Suddenly he grabbed her arms and, pulling her close, kissed her full on the lips. Before T’Pol could catch her breath, he swept her into his arms and strode toward the bed.

Clinging to him, feeling his strong arms about her, T’Pol offered up her thanks, once again, that his life had been spared. Tonight she would make him forget all the grief, all the troubles in the universe – everything but her.


Back to Chapter 2
Continue to Chapter 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.