Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

I’ll Be Coming Back to You
By Jedikatie

Rating: PG13 (for now)
Genre: Romance, angst
Archive: HoT; anyone else, please ask
Spoilers: Anything up to Bound, AU for that episode
Description: Trip waits to find out if he will get his transfer back to Enterprise. (Sequel to The Talk)
Disclaimer: I don’t own Enterprise or its characters, Paramount does. Unfortunately. Except for a few characters which I created.
Author’s Note: I apologize for the delay in getting this story posted, real life--namely two nieces visiting up here for the month and work, which got very busy during July, and my uncle passing away at the beginning of August--left me very little time to write.

Dedicated to James Doohan, the original miracle worker. Rest in peace, Scotty, we’ll miss you.

Chapter 1

Over the next few days, each morning at breakfast and each evening at dinner, Trip had one question that he pestered his captain with first thing. The rest of each day was filled with helping out in engineering and giving Kelby some tips that Trip used himself to keep the department running smoothly. And at night, he and T’Pol had settled down somewhat into a routine. First T’Pol tried to teach Trip how to construct a shield around his thoughts and emotions, which was slow going, but he was improving. Then they would meditate or do neuropressure, though when they did the latter, it usually resulted in them doing other things for much of the rest of the night.

On the fifth day after they had told Archer, Trip walked towards the captain’s mess for breakfast, deep in thought. He felt guilty about what would likely happen to Kelby if Jon did succeed. After all, Kelby had passed his exams and earned his promotion to chief engineer, no matter what he had done while under the Orion woman’s control. Trip knew that if he came back to Enterprise, as the senior officer at that rank in engineering, that he would once again be chief engineer, and Kelby would be the loser in the deal. From Starfleet’s point of view, there was no need for two commanders in Engineering, and certainly no need of two chief engineers on the same ship, so Kelby would undoubtedly lose his promotion as well as his position. Perhaps I can suggest to Jon that Kelby be offered the position of chief engineer on Columbia in my place. I mean, at least he’s been out here, he knows what it’s like, not like those kids over there. And Kelby is a capable engineer. He just needs a chance to shine without having to live up to what Jon expects of me in a crisis situation, Trip thought to himself.

But as Trip drew closer to the mess hall, he was growing more and more uneasy for some reason, and he put thoughts of Kelby out of his mind. He walked into the Captain’s mess, ready to ask about his transfer once more. He knew Archer would let him know as soon as he knew something, but Trip couldn’t help himself. One glimpse at the serious expression on the captain’s face, though, caused the question to die on his lips. T’Pol, sitting in her usual spot at the table, appeared to be as unemotional as ever, but Trip knew that she was just as uneasy as he was by Jon’s demeanor. He suspected that he’d been sensing her through the bond for the past few minutes. “Mornin’ Cap’n, T’Pol,” he greeted them, trying to pretend that he wasn’t growing more alarmed by the second.

“Morning, Trip,” Jon replied, taking a sip of his coffee. He paused while Trip gave his breakfast order to the steward waiting nearby, then continued after he left, trying to forestall the inevitable question. “And no, I still haven’t heard back about your transfer.”

The frown which had appeared on Trip’s face after he had entered the room and seen Archer’s expression deepened. “I’m sorry to keep bothering you about it. We appreciate all you’re doin’ for us, Cap’n. But why do I feel like that’s not why you’re so serious right now?” The steward reentered with Trip’s pancakes and sausage. Trip waited for the answer as he poured syrup over them.

Archer took another drink of his coffee, then sighed. He’d hoped to ease into this gradually. “You’re right. The Columbia isn’t too far away, and Captain Hernandez contacted me a short time ago, asking me to deliver you back over there since we’re unlikely to be this close again for some time.”

Trip squeezed his eyes shut as he heard the words, trying not to listen. He’d managed to convince himself over the last few days that his transfer would be approved before he had to face this situation.

“I’m sorry, Trip.” Archer continued. “I tried to get out of it, but there isn’t a good reason why you should stay now. Enterprise’s engines are running perfectly.”

“Maybe I should do a little damage myself to the engines, then,” Trip muttered under his breath, causing T’Pol to raise her eyebrow at that remark. Then he sat back, the forkful of pancake forgotten in his hand. His blue eyes met T’Pol’s brown ones, and he felt her trying to reassure him that it would be alright through their bond, but he didn’t see how. “When?” he asked in his normal voice, dreading the reply, his eyes never leaving hers.

Archer saw Trip’s shoulders tense, even if he sounded calm, and wished he had better news. “We’re on our way now to the rendezvous point. Travis estimates that we’ll be there in about three hours.”

Three hours. One hundred and eighty minutes. It wasn’t enough time. It’s not fair! His mind screamed, I can’t, I won’t leave T’Pol again! Out loud, Trip calmly said, “I guess I better go say goodbye to everyone in engineering again and give the ol’ gal one last going over before I leave then.” Setting down his fork, he pushed away his uneaten breakfast, and rose from his chair. T’Pol and I could swipe a shuttle pod and hightail it out of here before Columbia arrives. Or I could hide somewhere on the ship where the sensors couldn’t detect me. His mind raced, trying to find a way not to leave T’Pol again.

She gave him a knowing look from her place at the table. T’Pol could almost hear him plotting away in his mind, and she definitely sensed his determination not to leave. “I will join you, Commander.” She stood up, walking over to where he waited by the door.

“Trip,” Jon started, certain his friend was contemplating some way to get out of this mess. “Don’t do anything rash. I’m not giving up. Neither should you.”

“My options are gettin’ kind of limited, Cap’n.” Trip replied in a strained voice, not turning around. T’Pol’s hand on his arm interrupted his desperate scheming.

She spoke softly, willing him to look at her. He met her gaze, his emotional turmoil all too clear to her in his eyes even without the bond. “Trip, listen to the captain. We will be together, no matter what. I promise.”

He stared deep into her eyes, knowing that she meant every word. Finally he shut his eyes and nodded reluctantly. He took a deep breath, looked over his shoulder at the captain, and said, “I promise I won’t do anythin’ rash while I’m on Enterprise, sir.” Then they left the room together.

Archer, left alone at the table, wished he was as confidant about his chances of success in getting Trip back as he tried to project to them. Truth be told, he’d expected to have secured his friend’s transfer two days ago. But someone back at command seemed to be blocking his every effort to do so. And it was a mystery to him why.

The two commanders stood in the transporter room, alone for the moment. Trip had said his goodbyes to those of the engineering crew he could find, and he had inspected his baby again before leaving her once more in Kelby’s hands. T’Pol had remained with him the whole time, undoubtedly to make certain that he didn’t do something foolish. Both knew that the time they had remaining together was fleeting until the Captain came and Trip had to leave. “T’Pol,” he started but couldn’t continue. He stared deep into her eyes, trying to express everything he was feeling right at that moment between his look and their bond. “I can’t do this. I can’t leave you again,” he finally got out.

T’Pol gave him a longing look. She did not want him to leave either. “Trip,” she began as she caressed his cheek tenderly. He leaned into her touch. “You must go to Columbia. The Captain will not cease his efforts on our behalf. We can exist apart for a short time.”

“But T’Pol, what if they deny Jon’s request too?” Trip pointed out, finally voicing his biggest fear to her.

She knew he had been worried, though not specifically about what. However, she had deduced logically that this was his concern. She had estimated the odds that Captain Archer would succeed in his task, but it did not stop her from making plans if he did not. “Then we will do what we must to ensure that we are together.”

Still Trip hesitated. “How long do you think we can stay apart? Ya know, until it hurts us physically?”

“A few weeks at most.” She replied. “Since we have acknowledged the bond, it is strengthening between us more rapidly. So it will try even harder to bring us back together.”

“We were apart nearly three weeks the last time, T’Pol,” Trip pointed out, frowning. “Shouldn’t the time we can spend apart go up if the bond is growing between us?”

T’Pol shook her head once, regretfully. “No, not now. Once the bond has stabilized, we could exist apart for longer periods of time, but it is still growing, sowe can't stay apart for long. Since we are now actively aware of its existence, the effects the bondhas on us have also increased as it strengthens. So while it is conceivable that we could have remained apart for a month or perhaps two on the outside before we knew consciously of it, now we cannot. It will act more quickly and forcefully this time.”

“And ya still want me to go to Columbia?” Trip demanded, refusing to understand in his despair. “I don’t want anythin’ to happen to ya, darlin’. You mean everything to me. I could… I could hide on Enterprise, there are spots even your sensors can‘t detect.” He knew that she wouldn’t go along with that even as he said it, but he was desperate.

“Nor do I wish harm to you, Trip. But if you do not report back, at the very least you can be brought up on charges of insubordination and be declared AWOL from your assigned post. Do you really wish to be incarcerated instead, with little to no prospect that we will be able to see each other until the situation is resolved? Besides,” she added, “Lt. Reed is a very capable officer, he would think to search all the places that the sensors cannot penetrate.”

He closed his eyes in defeat, even as he pulled her close to him, hugging her tightly. He breathed in the scent of her hair and imprinted that, along with the feel of her in his arms, how she fit just right under his chin as if she’d been made especially for him, and a myriad of other tiny details about her on his memory. “You win, darlin’. I’ll go. But I promise I will come back to you, no matter what it takes. Do you think…” he hesitated, “do you think that we’ll still have those daydreams?” They were his only salvation in this exile from her actual presence. The thought of not having them, not being able to see and hear and touch his Polly, even if she was only in his mind, was unbearable. And to think, only a few weeks ago, I would have given anything for them to stop…

“I know we will,” she responded as she snuggled deeper into his embrace, just as reluctant as he to let go before they absolutely had to. I will miss him. He is part of me, as I am a part of him. “The daydreams, as you call them, are a part of the bond. And they may alleviate some of our symptoms for a brief time, even if we cannot physically be together. Therefore it is beneficial to continue to have these dreams until Captain Archer can successfully transfer you back to Enterprise.”

Trip quirked his eyebrow at that statement, laughing inside at her logic for the necessity of having them. “If anyone can do it, it’s Jon,” he agreed, then gave her a kiss that threatened to develop into more. They broke apart, knowing that they couldn’t continue that, not here and now. They settled for just holding each other, savoring every moment of the last bit of time they would have together for who knew how long.

The sound of soft footsteps approaching reached T’Pol’s sensitive ears. She stepped out of Trip’s arms, missing his touch already. A brief look of hurt crossed Trip’s face before he also heard the sound and realized why she’d backed away. A few seconds later, Captain Archer stepped into the transporter room, followed by Lts. Reed and Hess. The latter stepped behind the console to prepare to beam her former boss back to Columbia and to give the senior officers a bit of privacy as they said their goodbyes.

“Trip,” Jon started, holding out his hand, “thanks again for your help getting our engines running properly again. And don’t worry. I’ve still got a trick or two up my sleeve and some favors to call in. We’ll have you back here on Enterprise before you know it.”

Lt. Hess blinked at that revelation. She really wasn’t trying to eavesdrop, but it’s hard to pretend you can’t hear something said just a few feet away. She hadn’t known the commander was trying to come back. Somehow Hoshi had missed that bit of gossip or else hadn’t passed it along. Wait ‘til I tell the others, she thought, filled with a sudden hope.

Trip shook his friend’s hand, then found himself pulled into a bear hug. “No way am I letting the best engineer in the fleet get away permanently if I have anything to say about it,” Archer promised him, clapping the younger man hard on the back.

“Thanks again, Cap’n.” Trip answered sincerely. “For everything.” He knew it was because of Jon that he was even given the opportunity to be chief engineer on Enterprise in the first place. The higher ups hadn’t been as enamored of him at the time, calling him a reckless hothead among other things.

Malcolm came forward once the two men had broken apart, extending his own hand towards Trip, who grasped it firmly. “Commander, it’s been a privilege.” Giving the captain a quick glance, he added, a small smile gracing his lips, “And I hope the captain hurries up and gets your sorry ass back here, sir, begging the captain’s pardon.”

“Why, Malcolm, I didn’t know I meant that much to you,” Trip teased, batting his eyes at him as he gave his friend a goofy grin.

“Hardly, sir. I simply don’t think that either Columbia’s tactical or medical officers are sufficiently prepared for the kind of havoc which ensues every time you set foot off this ship. Or the occasional times when you’ve managed to injure yourself without even leaving it. I am simply trying to spare them from a heart condition caused by the stress of having to watch over you constantly.” His smile grew at Trip’s expression. “Besides, you wouldn’t want Phlox and me to get bored, would you?”

Trip ducked his head, chuckling. “Naw, I wouldn’t want that.” The engineer looked over at Lt. Hess at the controls. “Well, Anna, I’m countin’ on you and the crew to keep this lady runnin’ smoothly while I’m gone. You be sure to tell the crew again that I said they’re the best of the best in the fleet, an’ I couldn’t be prouder of ‘em.”

“You bet, sir.” She responded, smiling. “We’ll miss you, sir.”

“Well, then, I guess this is goodbye. No wait, strike that--it’s hasta la vista. ‘Cause I am going to see y’all later,” Trip promised them as he gave each one a last look as he stepped up to the pad. His gaze lingered on T’Pol, and the rest of room and its occupants seemed to fade around them. I love you, T’Pol, with all my heart, he thought at her as hard as he could, sending his love along with the message through their bond. Distantly he could hear Archer order Lt. Hess to energize as he focused on his bondmate.

I love you too, Trip. She sent back and was rewarded with an astonished smile on his face just prior to his sparkling out of the room. Suddenly T’Pol felt his presence in the back of her mind drop to a mere ghost of a whisper, and she shivered slightly at the sudden loneliness she felt. She heard Lt. Hess tell Archer that Columbia had acknowledged the commander’s arrival, and his dismissal of the others.

Neither of the lieutenants nor the Captain noticed her shiver, but Archer paused at the doorway when he realized that T’Pol wasn’t following. He followed her gaze towards the transporter pad Trip had been standing on moments before, and Jon stepped back towards her. “He’ll be fine, T’Pol. I’m going to get him back, I promise.” He tried to comfort her, knowing that the only one who could truly do that was on another ship now, about to warp away from Enterprise. He reached towards her, wanting to pull her close but he knew she wouldn’t appreciate it, then let his hands fall to his sides after a moment. He sensed that she was fighting to maintain her control. “We will get Trip back.”

She nodded in agreement, and Archer thought he glimpsed unshed tears glistening momentarily in her eyes. But when she looked at him a few seconds later, her face was as impassive as ever. “I certainly hope so, Captain, for both our sakes.” Her voice, thick with emotion as she spoke, betrayed that she still wasn’t fully in control.

Archer respectfully didn’t point that out to her, though. He had the feeling that T’Pol wasn’t referring to him. And remembering what they had told him about their bond a few days before, Jon had a pretty good idea what she was talking about. “Just how long do I have to get Trip back?” He asked bluntly. “Before, you know, those health problems you mentioned start occurring?”

“Until the first of the symptoms occur? Less than a week.” Archer started at that, wondering how she could have let Trip leave. “Until the neurological damage? Two and half weeks at most, captain. I suggest you move with all due speed in securing Commander Tucker’s transfer back here. Or else the commander and I will have to exercise other options to prevent such an outcome.”

Archer frowned at that, wondering what exactly she meant. But he remained silent. “I’m sure it won’t come to that, T’Pol.” She inclined her head slightly and followed him as they both left the transporter room this time.

Trip materialized on board Columbia and instantly felt an almost overpowering bout of loneliness as he realized she was gone. His mind ached terribly, and it took him nearly a minute to realize that T’Pol was still there, just very, very faint. He had been pleasantly surprised when he’d heard her reply in his mind before the transporter had sent him away. He hadn’t thought they could talk telepathically like that, not outside of the meditation space, that is. So hearing T’Pol say those words meant a great deal to him.

He realized that Captain Hernandez had been speaking to him and was now waiting for a response. “It’s nice to be back, ma’am.” He hedged, wondering what exactly he’d missed her saying while he was busy musing.

The Captain nodded at him, then spoke to the young officer who stood nearby. He had been monitoring the transport in case something went wrong. “Dismissed.” After he left, she turned back to Trip. “Is that why you’re trying to get a transfer back to Enterprise?” Hernandez asked once they were alone in the room, crossing her arms as she waited for his answer.

Trip flushed at the directness of her question. “Well, ma’am, I… It’s nothing against Columbia, Cap’n. Honest. How did you hear about that anyway?” He asked, curious, as they walked out into the corridor. Trip felt the subtle shift from impulse to warp beneath his feet, and the slight thread that still connected him to T’Pol shrank even further in his mind. The aching need for her was still there though, but he pushed it away, needing to concentrate on the captain’s words now.

She gave him a look. “Starfleet informed me of your request last week. And their denial of it. So I was rather surprised to hear from my sources that Captain Archer is still trying to secure your transfer back. Not that I can blame him, after all, you are the miracle worker that got the warp 5 engine up and running, but still I think I deserve a better explanation than what Starfleet gave me as your reason for wanting to leave. Don’t you, Commander?”

He swallowed nervously. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Good. Dinner tonight, 1800 hours. You can tell me then why my chief engineer is trying so desperately to jump ship when he hasn’t even been on the ship a full month yet. Until then, dismissed.” She turned and headed for the bridge, leaving Trip standing there wondering what he was going to say to her.

After the captain walked off, he stood in thought for a minute or two before remembering that he really should be getting to Engineering, so he’d have some idea what the crew had been up to during his absence. The ship was still in one piece, which was a good sign as far as Trip was concerned, though he was still uncertain about the engineering crew here on Columbia. Bunch of wet-behind-the-ears kids, he thought to himself as he walked into the room. Think everything out here’s all ‘we come in peace’ and that nonsense. Wait until they get into a firefight with some alien they just met and see how long that attitude lasts. He sighed, then snorted to himself as he headed for his office to check the logs for the past few weeks, Hell, I sound like some old fogey prattling on about the good ol’ days. Wasn’t all that long ago when I was that naïve too.

Trip pretended he didn’t notice the glares some of the crew gave him when they saw he was back. Or that he had heard their conversations stop as he walked past. He knew they didn’t like him, some of them even had requested transfers to get away from him when they were still in Spacedock, and Trip knew that it was largely his own fault. He had purposely kept his distance from anyone in this crew, not wanting to be hurt again like T’Pol had done to him.

Remembering her caused a stab of fear go through him as his worry returned that Jon wouldn’t succeed. He shoved the fear and worry away, determined to focus on something else. He made a silent vow to himself that he’d try and go easier on his crew this time, since now that Columbia was out of Spacedock, there wasn’t quite as much pressure on them. At least not from the brass. And if all went well, he wouldn’t be here that long anyway, so there was no reason to ruffle their feathers more. Well, unless they do something really stupid, that is, he amended silently.

He gave the logs a quick run through, searching for anything that particularly stuck out as potentially dangerous or troublesome. The starboard intake manifold had apparently been damaged last week, and while it looked as though they’d done a competent job of fixing it, he made a note to check it out for himself. After reviewing the logs, which took nearly an hour, Trip talked to Lt. Collins, who’d been in charge while he was off on Enterprise. And he had the lieutenant walk him through exactly what procedures they’d used to fix the intake manifold, taking the time to inspect their work himself. Eventually he was satisfied that they’d done it correctly, and then the lieutenant mentioned some other minor problems they’d been having with the injectors. Before Trip knew it, his shift was over and it was time to get ready for dinner with the Captain.

He realized as he finished cleaning up that he hadn’t thought of T’Pol all afternoon. But now he was missing her something fierce. Probably ‘cause he didn’t have anything else to occupy his mind and he knew the main subject the captain wanted to discuss with him involved her, even if the Captain didn’t. And he still didn’t have a clue what he was going to tell the captain. Not about the bond, no, that was out. While he trusted Jon, he hardly knew Cap’n Hernandez. And he was positive that T’Pol wouldn’t approve at all of disclosing their bond to anyone else.

Trip entered the Captain’s mess promptly at 1800 hours. He figured this was one time he ought to be on time, since Erika Hernandez wasn’t a long time friend like Jon who’d overlook his being late. And he figured that she was already mad at him, so it wouldn’t do to make her any angrier.

The steward was already there, taking the Captain’s order, and she greeted her chief engineer. “Commander, have a seat.”

Trip sat at the opposite end of the table from her, “Cap’n.” He gave the steward his order as well.

“Only back one day, and I see that our engine room is bustling with activity, Commander.”

“Well, ma’am, a good engineer keeps an eye on things even when they’re running smoothly. And both the logs and Lt. Collins tell me that the engine’s been actin’ up a mite. So it’s been keepin’ us busy.” Trip answered.

“No complaints here, Commander. I’d just as soon have my ship operating at peak efficiency than to find myself in the middle of nowhere having to call for help.” Hernandez replied. The steward walked in just then, and set their meals before them.

Trip dug into his pork chops, hoping to avoid for another few minutes at least the subject he really didn’t want to discuss. But his new captain was determined to get her answer.

“So Commander, tell me,” she began as she took a sip of her wine. “What exactly was the reason for your transfer from Enterprise to Columbia in the first place? And why do you want to go back there now? And don’t give me that nonsense you told Starfleet. I want the real reason.” She took a bite of her chicken teriyaki, while she waited for his reply.

Trip hesitated, thinking desperately. “Well, ma’am, it’s kind of personal.” She gave him a look that clearly said that she had already figured that out. “I just realized after being here for three weeks, and then goin’ back to Enterprise, that that’s where I belong. Really. They’re like my family, ma’am. I got kinda mad for awhile at ‘em, and needed to get away to see how much they really meant to me.” He held his breath, hoping she’d believe it. It wasn’t that far from the truth really. If he hadn’t been so heartbroken and mad at T’Pol then he never would have left, and the time away had helped some.

She eyed him, certain that he was still not telling the whole reason. She wondered just who she was exactly that he had been mad, upset, whatever with enough that he’d request a transfer just to get away. If Jon doesn’t have a problem with fraternization among his crew, that’s fine. It’s his call. But his explanation would do, for now, at least. “I somehow don’t think you’re telling me everything, Commander,” she told him, watching him squirm as he tried to come up with another response, confirming her belief. She raised her hand, before he could say anything. “I’ll accept that, for now. But don’t think that I’m going to give you up without a fight, Commander. Jon had you for four years. And you are the most experienced chief engineer in the fleet, something this crew needs if we’re going to make it out here.”

“I wouldn’t count out Cap’n Archer just yet, ma’am. He wants me back, and he’ll move heaven and earth to get his way.”

“Maybe so, Commander. But I’m just as determined to keep you. And I can do a little moving of stellar objects myself to make sure that I get what I want.” She held up her glass. “We’ll see who gets the spoils of this battle.”

Trip gave her an uncertain grin as he drank as well. The rest of the meal passed in silence, each thinking their own thoughts.

T’Pol settled onto the floor of her quarters for her nightly meditation. She found she missed the comforting presence of Trip there, even though she had been meditating for years by herself. Now she couldn’t imagine not having him in the room, even if he wasn’t meditating with her, or at least on the same ship where she could easily sense him. Her candles glowed softly in the darkened room as she evened out her breathing and stared at the flame. What a difference a few weeks can make. She, of course, had realized what they had between them several weeks prior to informing Trip, and consequently had had more time to adjust to the concept as a result.

It had been difficult to maintain her composure after Trip left that morning. She had focused very hard on her work, and it alleviated some of the strain the loss of his constant presence nearby had caused. But the aching need for him had returned full force once she went off duty and no longer had a distraction to occupy her mind.

The white space resolved around her as the meditation took hold. She opened her eyes in her mind, searching the void for her mate. T’Pol sighed when she failed to discover him, disappointment filling her that Trip was not here. Taking a last look around, she shut her eyes once more and instead tried to concentrate on her meditation, hoping to relieve some of the stress of the day.

Nearly half an hour passed before T’Pol sensed his presence. Opening her eyes once more, she saw Trip standing a short distance from her. He at first appeared to be perplexed from what she could see of his face, then his eyes lit up as he realized where he was, and spinning around, spotted her. With two strides, he was there, kneeling in front of her in one smooth motion. He pulled her into a hug, practically smothering her into his chest, pulling away only slightly so he could trail kisses down the side of her face. “Oh baby, I’m sorry I kept ya waitin’, I had dinner with the captain, and then a ton of paperwork to read through, and I kind of lost track of time.”

T’Pol held just as tightly to him, inhaling his scent and delighting in his touch. “It is okay, Trip. It gave me time to clear my head somewhat.”

“It’s not okay, honey. You’re important to me. It’s only been a day, T’Pol, and this need to see, touch and hear you is growing already. I don’t know how I’m going to last until Jon gets me transferred back.” He told her softly, easing his grip on her a bit as the ache in his mind receded somewhat with her in his arms. The part of him he’d felt was lost was there again, if only while they were in this space. He hadn’t realized just how much her presence in his mind had come to mean to him in the past week until they were separated again.

They sat there, just holding each other for some time, taking comfort in the other’s presence, before T’Pol responded. “We must, Trip. I have examined the variables involved in this method of securing your transfer, and I estimate that it will take no longer than 3.8 days from now at most for Captain Archer to be successful.”

Trip blinked, pulling back slightly to look down at her. “You figured out how long it would take the Cap’n to get me back?”

“It was the logical thing to do, Trip. I could not willingly let you go back to Columbia if I did not believe that you would return before the point of danger for either of us.” She informed him.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

T’Pol stroked his cheek. “I did not wish to get your hopes up for a quick resolution to our situation. There may yet be variables, unknown to me, which can either shorten or lengthen the time necessary.”

“In other words, you don’t know for sure that I’ll be back within the next four days.”

“I believe I just said that.”

He rested his chin on top of her head. “And what do we do if he can’t get me back?”

“Then we will have to use other means to ensure that we are together before the damage can occur.” She told him simply. “We could join the Vulcan fleet if necessary…”

“Somehow I don’t think they’re going to be all that thrilled with the prospect of having a human in their fleet. Especially one who’s an engineer, given that your people haven’t been all that keen on sharing information about your engines. ” Trip pointed out. “Besides, why would they help us? Last time I checked, most Vulcans aren’t too thrilled with sharing personal stuff like this with humans. Hell, they won’t even talk about this stuff with us.”

“They will help because they have no choice. We are bonded, t’hai’la. They will not knowingly allow us to come to harm if it is within their power to prevent it.”

Trip sighed softly. “The Vulcan High Command didn’t seem too eager to help out humanity when the Xindi attacked.”

“The ones who were in charge of High Command then are no longer in power, Trip, as you know. Our situation is uniquely Vulcan in nature. No true Vulcan would allow another to suffer in such a fashion if it can be avoided, even if they find the choice of my mate distasteful. If it appears that the Captain cannot succeed within the next week, then I will make a request to T’Pau to send a ship to collect you and ask Soval to speak to Starfleet so they can alter our orders to meet them, after I resign my commission. You will, of course, have to resign your commission as well.”

Trip sat quietly, still worried and not at all certain that T’Pol’s plan would work. He really didn’t want to give up being a starship engineer. It was the one thing he’d worked for all his life, but if that was what it took to be with T’Pol… He said nothing, just stared off at the nothingness that surrounded them. Finally he changed the subject. “I still think you ought to try for a bit more color in here. This is really boring, T’Pol.”

“I believe that you mentioned a tropical beach, Commander, would be preferable. Perhaps one of these times we could attempt such a location.” She quirked her eyebrow at him.

“Seriously?” He smiled widely at her. Then he gave her a puzzled look. “Why another time? Why not right now?”

“Trip, I have been meditating for nearly three hours now. And you are tired. It is more logical that we both rest.” She pulled away reluctantly from his touch.

Trip wanted to gather her back up into his arms, but sat back instead, trying to hide a yawn from her. “If you say so, darlin’. Maybe we could share a dream or two…” He gave her a suggestive look. He leaned forward and gave her a soft kiss on the lips that quickly deepened. She pushed him away finally, insistently. “Trip, we must go. We cannot stay here, no matter how pleasant this may be.”

“I know.” He reached for her hand, still thinking amorous thoughts, but she pulled it away as she stood. Frustrated in his attempt, he said instead, “Sweet dreams, T’Pol.”

“Need I remind you that Vulcans do not dream, t’hai’la?”

Trip rose and watched as she backed away, a longing look on her face. He knew that she didn’t want to go either. But she was right, they couldn’t stay here. “If you say so,” he teased, remembering a particular dream he’d had when he was on Columbia the last time involving a shower that he was almost certain she had been in... She faded away, leaving him alone there for a few seconds before he found himself sitting on his bunk in his Starfleet blues. Lying down, he pounded his pillow, trying to get comfortable and fall asleep. After all, no since keepin’ a lovely lady waitin’, even if she was only in his dreams…

Continue to Chapter 2

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.