Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Boomer Bust"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Not mine. Wish they were.
Notes: Yeah, poor Phillipe, but he won't be alone. Travis and the others will take care of him.

As usual: Comments and Reviews wanted and appreciated! Thanks! ;)


Three

Doctor Phlox had given the young helmsman a sedative; they were all concerned about his mental state after the heartbreaking news. He and Archer had walked a silent Philippe to his quarters.

“I'm taking him off the duty roster for a while,” Archer said. “Tell him that he can take all the time he needs.”

“I think someone should stay with him, Captain, just to make sure he's okay.”

The captain nodded. “Stay with him, Travis. I'll send someone to relieve you in a few hours.”

So Travis had stayed with Philippe as the younger man lay sleeping. The lines of grief were heavy on his face and his red-rimmed eyelids twitched. Travis remembered when he'd gotten the news about his own father's death. All the sorrow, the anger, the regrets, all the things left unsaid, all the apologies unmade...he could sympathize with what Philippe was going through now.

His gaze fell upon Philippe's desk. Like his own quarters, Phillipe had a large cork message board on the wall next to his computer. Pictures were tacked on its surface. Travis recognized René Trieste's image: an unsmiling, white-haired, blue-eyed man. The caption underneath was: Mon Pere, 2149 15. Aout. “My father, 15th of August 2149”. On the opposite side of the board was one of a beautiful, blonde-haired woman, sitting in front of a fountain. The inscription underneath was in Philippe's flowing handwriting: Maman. 2150 22. Avril Je t'aime. “Mother, 22nd of April 2150. I love you.”

His mother? Travis wondered. She looked much younger than René, but Travis could see from whom Phillipe had inherited his delicate features. Between the two photos were sketches of flowers from Hydroponics, schedules and daily reminders. Right next to “Pick up laundry from Quartermaster's” was “Meet Lieutenant Sato for French Hour” and right next to that was “Weapons Training, Lieutenant Commander Reed, Armory.”

Travis smiled at the various meal invitations scattered haphazardly on the board. Who knew that someone that shy could make so many friends on the Enterprise? He chuckled to himself at the contradiction.

After four hours, the doorbell chimed. “Come in,” Travis whispered.

Hoshi came in, as silent as a ninja, and put a hand on Travis's shoulder. “I'll take over, Travis. Get some rest.”

“Thanks, Hoshi,” he said with a smile. He got out of the chair and left as Hoshi took over. As he made his way back to his quarters, he wondered about the fallout from René Trieste's death. What did it mean for Philippe and his family?

He dreaded what would happen next.


It happened far faster than Travis expected. The summons took him completely by surprise. “Lieutenant Commander Reed, Lieutenant Mayweather, please report to the Captain's Ready Room.”

Travis and Malcolm glanced at each other from their Bridge stations, but they both reported as ordered. Archer sat behind his desk, his computer screen blank for the moment. He looked up at Travis and Malcolm and waved them to seats out of sight of the screen.

“Admiral Forrest is on the line, gentlemen, and I want you to listen in on this conversation. It concerns Crewman Trieste and his family's corporation, but I don't want Forrest to know you're here. Don't say anything and don't attract attention to yourself.”

“Sir--?” Travis asked. Why did the Captain ask us to sit in on this talk with Admiral Forrest? Isn't this supposed to be private? Doesn't make sense.

“You want us to eavesdrop on you and Admiral Forrest?” Malcolm echoed in a neutral tone. He seemed as wary as Travis. After all, listening in on a conversation between superior officers was awkward, to say the least, especially when one of them was unaware of it.

Archer shrugged. “I'll explain afterwards. Now, sit and listen.”

Travis sat in one of the side seats of Captain Archer's Ready Room, out of sight of Archer's computer viewscreen. Malcolm occupied the chair on Travis's right. After a moment, Archer and Forrest exchanged greetings. Then Forrest asked,“How is the young man doing, Jon?”

Archer shook his head. “Not well, sir. Crewman Trieste took the news quite hard. I knew he and his father didn't get along, but Trieste still respected his father.”

“His father was an important figure in Centaurian and Terran politics. His death has ripped a hole in those relations. René was the only one holding the wolves at bay and now that he's gone, Alpha Centauri's status as a trade partner is in jeopardy."

Travis and Malcolm exchanged curious glances, but Archer ignored them. “Alpha Centauri's an Independent Colony, isn't it?”

“Technically, it is, Jon...but Earth has a vested interested in its stability. There are plenty of company moguls who want René's position; their infighting will tear Alpha Centauri apart, and it's close enough to Earth to affect trade here." Forrest paused, and Travis saw the scowl deepen on Archer's face. "Estelle de Montclaire Limited requests that Philippe return to Alpha Centauri. They want him to take up his father's work as head of the company."

“'Requests'?” Archer repeated. Travis's eyes widened at the word, while Malcolm wore a tight smile. They all heard the quotation marks. “It was my understanding that Crewman Trieste formally cut all ties to his family's corporation when he joined Starfleet. He's not even considered part of their executive board.”

Forrest sighed. “That's what I thought, too. His family never...formalized the agreement. Technically, and legally, Philippe is the heir to the Trieste empire. He has to go back, even to just settle EdML's affairs. He's still indebted to take care of the...fallout.”

“God,” Archer groaned. “Poor Philippe, having to deal with this mess on top of losing his father.”

Travis leaned back in his seat. How could they? How could they put Philippe through this? He'd renounced his claim to EdML; he didn't want any part of the the political backstabbing and intrigue. Why couldn't they respect Philippe's wishes?

To Travis's surprise, there was a sympathetic glint in Malcolm's eyes. The armory officer's jaw was set. Like father, like son, Travis realized. Philippe's an only son like Malcolm is. At least Paul was willing to captain the Horizon in my place. Philippe and Malcolm don't have anyone else to take up the slack. I wonder if Malcolm sees a younger version of himself.

Forrest's chuckle was ironic. “I don't envy the young man, but René raised him to be loyal to his family. He's very much his father's son. That aside, Earth has a stake in Alpha Centauri's stability. Jon, your orders are to send Philippe back in a shuttle with an escort. I'd send the Enterprise herself, but the Triestes have made it clear they don't want an incident. There are many factions that will react badly to the appearance of a military ship.”

“We're under a mission of peace, Admiral. We're not going to--”

“I know. That's what I told them, but they were adamant about it. Basically, they want us to sneak him under their rival's noses. We need to protect him at all costs.” At Archer's protest, he said, “Those are your orders, Captain. I'm sorry about all the subterfuge, but there's so much at stake here.”

Archer set his jaw. “Yes, sir.”

“Forrest, out.”

There was a pause, then Archer blew out a frustrated breath. “So, that's pretty much what I expected. From what I understand of Philippe's family, this kind of thing is normal business tactic for them. Gentlemen, your observations?”

Travis nodded grimly and added, “EdML has a lot of influence in the sector, Captain. It doesn't really surprise me they're arranging things how they want them. I didn't know Philippe renounced his claim; I'd thought he kept close tabs on what was going on back home.”

Malcolm raised an eyebrow. He was about to say something, then changed his mind and focused his attention on the captain.”I can see where their paranoia's justified. Crewman Trieste is the only son of a powerful shipping magnate. He's their last hope, so to speak. Their rivals will probably try to kill or kidnap him to tip the balance in their favor. Admiral Forrest thinks a low-key approach is best in this case.”

Archer nodded. “I have to agree with that, Malcolm.”

“And did you notice that Admiral Forrest referred to them only as 'René' and 'Philippe'? By their first names?”

Archer's scowl became fierce again. Travis blinked, for he hadn't noticed either, but that was why Malcolm was the Armory and Tactical Officer. “No, I hadn't,” Archer said slowly, “but you're right.”

“Maybe the admiral has stock in EdML,” Travis suggested, but even as he said the words, he could see Malcolm's point.

“Perhaps, but my instincts tell me that Admiral Forrest may be more than just a preferred stockholder in this case. He's got more at stake than just Earth's position in this matter.”

Archer was silent as he weighed everything he had heard. Travis didn't know what to say, for he knew Admiral Forrest was the captain's friend and mentor. After a few minutes, Archer nodded to himself and spoke in tones of command.

“I want you two to accompany Philippe back to Alpha Centauri. Travis, you're his friend, and you have knowledge about the business and shipping sectors there. Malcolm, you're there for security and reconnaissance. Make sure nothing happens to Philippe, during the trip or when he's there. I can see the Triestes forcing Philippe to stay, no matter how he feels about it.”

Travis nodded grimly. “I can see that too, but we'll make sure that doesn't happen, right, Commander?”

“Indubitably,” Malcolm agreed.

“All right, gentlemen, get your gear together and make whatever arrangements you need. I'll talk to Philippe. Dismissed.”

Both of them turned and went back out to the Bridge. Travis waited until they were in the turbolift before he spoke. “Why do I have the feeling we're walking into a den of snakes? With the lights off?”

A slight smile passed over Malcolm's face. “I'll make sure we have torches and plenty of anti-venom, Lieutenant.”


Back to Part 2
Continue to Part 4

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.