Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Broken Loyalties"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: ENT “Horizon” and “Dead Stop”
Pairings: None in this chapter, but eventually R/S
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Here’s the final story in the “Boomer Bust” Trilogy. Read “Boomer Bust” and “Deadly Negotiations” to understand the deal with Travis and his brother Paul.

Travis and Company take matters directly to Tanaka. Some old friends help out.

German (from Mueller): “Alles in Ordnung, Herr Leutnant.” (“Everything’s in order/all ready, Lieutenant.”)


Ten

The transporter’s effect faded and Travis let out a breath. Home sweet home, he thought.

“Welcome back, Lieutenant,” said Phlox. The Denobulan gave Travis his trademark grin. “It is agreeable to see you again.”

“You too, Phlox,” Travis replied. He glanced over at Admiral Reed and Bernhard Mueller, who were both just stepping off the transporter platform. Reed nodded at Phlox, who only passed his scanner over the three of them.

“No need for decon,” he said. “Though it appears that you and the ensign have crawled through a thicket of ghorra bushes.”

Travis shook his head. “Not that far from the truth, Doc.” He looked over at Bernhard. “Meet back here in a hour.”

“Yes, sir,” Bernhard replied and at a nod of dismissal from Reed, they headed out of the room.


“Mom?”

Rhianna Mayweather started at his voice and dropped the book she was reading. “Travis! Any news?”

Travis nodded and resisted a smile...just barely. He sat next to her on the couch. “Yeah, I’ve got news.” Then, with little fanfare, he told her.

She stared at him with her mouth open, then she put her head in her hands and started shaking. Travis only put a hand on her shoulder, offering her silent comfort. “Mom?”

To his surprise, she reared her head back and laughed. Then she turned on him with mock anger. “You knew your brother was alive and you didn’t tell me?”

“Mom, I didn’t know. Captain Sandosh basically shanghaied us onto his ship.” Travis chuckled at the sight of his mother’s bright smile. “But...you do understand why Paul couldn’t tell anyone.”

Rhianna’s smile fell. “Yes, I do understand, and I’m not angry at you or your brother for that. Tanaka is an evil woman and now I hear that she has your captain and your crew as ‘protected guests.” She snorted. “You know my opinion on that.”

He sighed. “I know. We’re going to get everyone out, Mom. Admiral Reed and Philippe Trieste have a plan.”

“I can’t just stand aside and do nothing, son.”

Travis knew his mother would say that. “That’s why we need you and Sandosh to talk to the Boomers on our behalf. Can you do it?”

“Try to stop me, Travis.” He smiled at the sparkle in his mother’s eyes and the sight nearly brought tears to his eyes. Rhianna Mayweather had regained her purpose for the first time since they’d lost Horizon, and he was overjoyed at it.


Exactly an hour later, Travis rejoined Bernhard in the transporter room. A group of people from Security had joined the small Centaurian Security Force squad that Philippe had brought with him. Doctor Phlox was there as well, coolly checking over his medical equipment. Travis remembered that Phlox had served as a medic in the Denobulan infantry earlier in his career. Even now, Travis had trouble imagining Phlox as an army man.

“Now, this is starting to become like old friends’ week,” said a bright feminine voice.

Travis’s head snapped around as he identified the voice. “Fiona! What the hell are you doing here?”

Captain Fiona McKenzie grinned and accepted his hug. “We’re not missing this for the world.”

Sergeant Nate Kemper was just as blunt. “Lieutenant Commander Reed’s in trouble...again.”

“Good to have all of you.” Travis sighed as he caught Bernhard’s grin. “I think we’re all ready.”

Bernhard nodded, then flipped open his communicator. At a whispered confirmation, he agreed, “Alles in Ordnung, Herr Leutnant.”

“Your fan club?”

“Fan club?” Fiona and Nate echoed.

Bernhard blushed bright scarlet and muttered something in German under his breath as he said, “Team One, on the pads, Team Two, stand by.” The CSF and Enterprise security men and women clambered up to the pad as Bernhard signaled the Bridge. “We’re ready here, Admiral.”

“Acknowledged,” came the clipped accent of Stuart Reed. “Communications, ring Mistress Tanaka. It’s time to offer her an invitation she cannot refuse.” There was a pause, then Reed raised his voice, “This is Admiral Stuart Reed, currently in command of the United Earth Ship Enterprise. Respond.”

Travis wasn’t expecting Tanaka to reply; after all she’d cut off all communications. To his surprise, Tanaka’s silvery voice answered, “Admiral Reed. I understand you are the father of one Lieutenant Commander Malcolm Reed?”

“The Lieutenant Commander is my son, Madam, and I believe you are holding him captive.”

“I must say, then, that Starfleet has misinformed you, Admiral. Your son is not a captive; he is an honored guest. At the moment, he is assisting with a murder investigation.”

“A murder investigation? Who has died?”

“Captain Paul Mayweather, Lieutenant Travis Mayweather and Ensign Bernhard Mueller.”

There was an angry stir in the transporter room from the CSF and Enterprise Security. Bernhard flushed again, but this time not in embarrassment. Travis felt Fiona’s hand on his shoulder.

Reed’s voice was suitably shocked. “Indeed. That is most tragic.”

“Yes. One of my most loyal personal guards gave his life to protect Commander Tucker and Sub-Commander T’Pol, but unfortunately, Lieutenant Mayweather and Ensign Mueller were both lost.”

“Most unfortunate,” Reed muttered. “Madam, I am also trained as a security investigator. May I offer you my services in apprehending the culprit?”

“I assure you, Admiral, your son is doing all he can—“

“I insist. I owe a debt to Lieutenant Mayweather that I cannot deny. You, of all people, would understand. If you know my son, we Reeds fulfill our obligations to the letter.”

Bernhard nodded at the transporter operator and raised his hand. The timing of this had to be perfect. Travis put a finger to his lips and motioned Team Two closer to the platform.

“Very well, but we must prepare for your arrival.”

“No preparation is necessary, madam. I can simply beam down—“

Tanaka’s steely tone brooked no argument, but Travis knew that no one argued with Stuart Reed and came out of it unscathed. “My security shields are impenetrable, Admiral. I can open them to allow a single shuttlecraft, no more—“

“Like hell,” muttered Bernhard. The light on the transporter console went green, and Bernhard dropped his hand. Team One disappeared in a shimmer of light, and Travis all but hopped onto the still-warm pad.

And then, without further ado, his world dissolved as he thought, I hope Bernhard’s “fan club” did what they were supposed to or we’re really screwed.


To his relief, he reformed in the walled courtyard of Tanaka’s fortress. He pulled out his phase pistol, as Phlox indicated a section of the building with a jerk of his chin. “The captain and the others are there.”

“Let’s break ‘em out of jail.” Travis grinned and saluted his team, then they were moving towards the section Bernhard indicated.

Laser fire greeted them as they slipped into the fortress. Travis dropped down to the floor as it rained on them overhead. With practiced ease, the CSF responded with their own covering fire as Travis and the others inched forward on their stomachs.

Suddenly, there was a banshee cry at the end of the hall, and Travis saw the flash of brown-colored kimonos and the glimmer of steel. There were cries of surprise and pain that were quickly suppressed. The laser fire disappeared as quickly as it had come.

“Kaimaru-san,” Bernhard called.

The former Tanaka Enterprises guard nodded and saluted Bernhard with his katana. “This way, Myu-rer-sama.”

Travis motioned the Phlox and the MACOs forward as they followed Kaimaru down the hallway. A shadow caught his eye and he turned his head to find the assault team being stalked...by one graceful black cat. Oneko? What’s she doing here? I thought she stayed with Paul. He thought directly at the cat. Who are you?

He wasn’t expecting an answer, but he felt a tickle in his brain, one of dry amusement. Well, that’s something. All right, Oneko, business first, but later, you and I are going to have a chat.


Back to Part 9
Continue to Part 11

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.