Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calm Before the Storm"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: This is the build-up leading to the wedding. Just HOW are they gonna pull it off, esp. without either the bride or the groom aware of it? Lots of subterfuge, good timing, and a LOT of help.

You meet the Hayes clan in this chapter, and the guest list is coming together. (If you’re a Babylon 5 fan, you might catch the nod to B5, and there's a tiny nod to Robotech in there as well.) And yes, Amanda Hayes’s maiden name is Cole. (Remember, AU. (grin) She really cares about his son, even when it looks like she’s giving him the first degree, so cut her a little slack.

Another superb edit, Pesterfield! Thank you! :)


Ten

The “Wedding Relocation Unit” worked like a well-oiled machine, but that didn’t really surprise Trip. With Michiko Sato and Amanda Hayes directing the show, the USC Hospital Chapel was transformed from a simple, nondenominational space to a room of color and incense. Trip was amazed at how Michiko and the Sato clan managed to transport the essential elements all the way from San Francisco. Somehow, they’d brought down the candles, the bowl, the saké, the various changes of clothing, the Japanese food. Hoshi’s first cousin was a Shinto priest, and he’d come down with everything he needed to officiate.

“Mama has connections everywhere,” Hitomi Kanagawa told him, without any trace of sarcasm. “My cousin runs a bakery in downtown Los Angeles—“

“Is everybody related to your family?” Trip asked. This was worse than the Tucker clan at its most obnoxious.

A sparkle danced in the eyes of Hoshi’s second cousin. “Maybe. I bet if you traced your family back far enough, we just might be related somewhere.”

Trip sighed and rolled his eyes, but he still wore a bright grin. “Yeah, maybe that’s why I get along with you folks so well.”

“We consider Hoshi’s friends as family,” Hitomi said. “So I suppose we’re ‘cousins’ anyway.”

He raised a quirky eyebrow. “All right, Cousin. What else do we need to do to finish this?”

And right on cue, Amanda Hayes hollered, “Trip Tucker!”

Trip gave Hitomi a look of apology. She made shooing motions and he said, “See ya later, Hitomi-san.” He went over to Amanda, who was talking to several other people in the uniforms of various branches of Earth’s military. Trip saw the family resemblance to Matt, and figured this must be the Hayes contingent. They looked overwhelmed...and a little scared, in the chaos of Hoshi’s larger family.

“Ma’am?” Trip asked. He figured it was safer to be formal around the Hayeses.

Amanda turned to him and said with a smile, “Lieutenant Commander Charles Tucker the Third, I’d like to introduce you to some of my relatives.” She went on to introduce her brothers, Captain Marcus Cole of West Point, and Lieutenant Peter Cole of the Royal Canadian Mounted Patrol. The older man was Matt’s paternal uncle, Colonel Richard Hayes, and his paternal aunt, Commander Lisa Hayes-Hunter.

“Pleased to meet ya,” Trip said. He glanced around the chapel. “Guess it’s a bit chaotic around here, with us having to improvise and all.”

Peter Cole chuckled and shrugged. “Looks like Hoshi’s family has everything well in hand, Lieutenant Commander. I take it my nephew is somewhere about?”

“Well—not really,” Trip said. “His armory officer’s makin’ sure he’s occupied while we get set up here.” He crossed his fingers behind his back and hoped neither the Hayeses nor the Coles noticed. It was more accurate to say that Nate Kemper was trying to locate and contact Matt Hayes and tell him to get his butt back to Los Angeles ASAP.

At Amanda’s raised eyebrow, he added, “What? You gave him a pretty specific assignment, ma’am and I trust Nate Kemper with my life.”

Matt’s mother’s face relaxed and said, “Yes, Kemper is one of the best, isn’t he?”

“Hey, I got an idea. How ‘bout I take you folks over to one of my favorite restaurants here in Los Angeles for a quick snack? Weddin’s not till this evenin’, and I bet you haven’t eaten since you got here. What do you say?” He glanced at Amanda. “Okay with you, ma’am?”

“Sounds good to me, Lieutenant Commander.”

He chuckled and raised an eyebrow. “For the record, it’s Trip. C’mon, I’ll drive.” He chattered away and led the group out of the Chapel, hoping that Nate managed to find his wayward C.O. and bring him back...or they’d all be in trouble.


Nate Kemper swore as he and Liz Cutler raced from one end of Los Angeles Spaceport to the other. He’d finally contacted Matt Hayes; his captain had just boarded a shuttle at John F. Kennedy Spaceport. Nate breathed out a sigh of relief that Hayes was safe; he’d still ribbed Hayes about taking off and leaving with little notice.

“Sorry about that, Nate, but it was rather important.”

“I’ll be waiting to hear just what took you cross-country without you telling us.”

“It’ll have to wait till I get back to L.A.”

“When’re you getting here? I’m not sure how long the doctors can stall your fiancee. She’s been asking about you all day, and I’m running out of excuses.”

“Three hours. I should be there by four o’clock.”

“Okay, I’ll be at LAS to pick you up.”

“Sounds good, Nate. See you then.”

Nate put down the receiver and blew out a relieved breath. Liz shook her head and asked, “He still has no idea about the wedding?”

“Nope. C’mon, we’ve got to check the boards and meet Ambassador Soval and Lieutenant Archer. Doctor T’Les and Doctor Reed should be coming in.”

And so, they were now rushing from the domestic terminal to the off-world arrivals terminal, which was at the opposite end of LAS. Nate was beginning to hate LAS with a passion; even Logan Terminal in Boston was easier to negotiate than this.

They reached the arrival gate just as passengers were spilling out of Customs. Soval turned to Nate and raised an eyebrow. “Have you located Captain Hayes?”

“He’s left New York and he should be here by four.”

Jonathan Archer scowled. “That’s cutting it pretty close.”

“Yeah, I think you’d better take a number and stand in line if you’re going to yell at him, Jon, ‘cause I think Hoshi, Trip and I have first dibs,” Nate said without humor. “He said he’ll explain everything once he gets back here.”

“Captain Hayes has been a maverick in many things,” Soval said, “and at times I question his logic.”

Nate frowned; that was as close to critical as Soval had ever been to Matt. “I’m sure he had a good reason, Ambassador, otherwise he wouldn’t have done it, especially without telling anyone.”

Soval was about to say something else, then closed his mouth, for T’Les and Malcolm Reed finally came through the gates. Both looked tense and exhausted, but Malcolm looked particularly haggard. Liz Cutler stepped forward and claimed Reed’s travel case.

“Malcolm,” she whispered, “welcome back.”

“Are you all right?” he asked. He took Liz by the shoulders and gazed into her eyes. “You aren’t hurt?”

“I’m better,” she said. “I broke my arm and had a few bumps and bruises, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed.”

“Hoshi? T’Pol?”

Liz frowned; how had he known? Someone must have told him en route from Vulcan. Soval, probably. “They’re both at USC Hospital, Malcolm, undergoing tests, but they should be all right.” She couldn’t interpret his expression, but tried to give him a reassuring smile.

“T’Les,” Soval greeted, as he returned her ta’al.

“My daughter, Soval?” Her voice was somewhere between a question and a demand.

“I’ll take you to her. Nathan, carry her bags. We must not delay.”

“Yes, sir,” Nate said, as he scooped up T’Les’s bags and slung them over his shoulder. He overheard Jon and Liz update Malcolm on the women’s conditions, and Soval telling T’Les the same thing in Vulcan. He sighed and shook his head.

The Wedding Relocation Unit’s nearly completed its mission...all we have to do is make sure the groom gets back in time to get hitched, or he’ll have a hundred people after him, and Harris won’t be able to do anything to save him from that particular mob.


“Mama!” Hoshi yelled.

“That ugly hospital gown does nothing for you,” Michiko Sato told her. “I’ve talked with your doctor and he’s consented to at least allow you a proper robe.”

“That’s fine, Mama...but red with golden dragons?”

“Humor me this time, Hoshi-chan. I’ve been worried about you.” She put a palm on her daughter’s cheek. “We nearly lost you. Please indulge me this time, for once.”

“All right,” she grumbled. She allowed Hitomi, Grace Hikagawa and Michiko to help her with her bath, then they rubbed scented oil into her skin. Against her will, she found herself reveling in the feel of her sore muscles finally relaxing. Two days of being in a hospital bed, or under scanners and imaging chambers, took a toll on her body. It would take a while to get back to her fitness level before the shuttle accident.

Grace brushed Hoshi’s long black hair, while the other two dressed Hoshi with the solemnity of Shinto priestesses. Hoshi kept absolutely still; while the massage had revived her spirits, she wondered why they went to all this trouble. A seed of suspicion blossomed in her mind, but she kept it quiet.

“Mama?”

“Yes, Hoshi-chan?”

“Where’s Matt? I haven’t seen him all day.”

“The last I saw him, he was with Trip Tucker and Nate Kemper,” Michiko answered smoothly, “and I believe the two Armory officers were trying to keep him distracted from hovering over you every waking moment. I know you hate feeling stifled, and Matt would be doing just that.”

“That’s true, Mama.” She had to admit, yes, that was exactly what Matt would do, and although she loved him, that would drive her crazy. She reminded herself to thank Trip and Nate the next time she saw them.

Just after Hoshi was dressed and the women had moved her to the couch, Trip Tucker stuck his head into the room. “Hosh, you decent?”

“Come on in, Trip,” she said with a smile and a wave of her hand.

“Got a visitor for you, Hoshi. I told him you needed your rest, but he insisted.” Trip grinned and stepped aside for the shorter man to enter the room. Hoshi gasped and her hands dropped into her lap.

“Malcolm!” she exclaimed, and opened her arms to his embrace. “I thought you were on Vulcan!”

“I was, but my business there is concluded,” he replied with a slight smirk. “I understand you’ve gotten into some trouble while I was gone.”

She sobered and said, “It wasn’t my fault—“

“I know that.” The smirk disappeared and he gripped both of her hands. “I’m so relieved that you and the others are safe. The news traveled as far as Shi’Kahr, and T’Pol’s mother was nearly frantic with worry. She wanted to make sure she was all right, and I just happened to accompany her.”

“T’Les is here?”

He nodded. “Yes, she was quite insistent in going to T’Pol’s room first. You’re sure you’re all right?”

She nodded ruefully. “After all the tests they put me through today, I think the doctors are satisfied that I’m all in one piece, Malcolm.” Hoshi noticed that Michiko was watching Malcolm with an unreadable expression, Grace with an interested one, and Trip with an amused one. She realized that she still held his hands, but didn’t care.

Trip cleared his throat. “Gotta get Matt. See ya in a bit.” Then he turned on his heels and left. Hoshi gave him a distracted nod and brought her attention back to Malcolm. “Tell me what you’ve been up to on Vulcan.”

“It’ll take a while,” he warned, though his eyes twinkled with humor.

“That’s all right. It’s not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon.”

If only she knew how ironic that statement would be in one hour.


“Formal uniform? You’ve got to be kidding me!”

“For God’s sake, you went AWOL on us, son!” Amanda Hayes exploded. “I pried the whole sorry story from your Armory officer and we were frantically searching for you! Needless to say, Admiral Forrest heard about it and he’s ready to have a few words with you!”

Matt visibly gulped. “Forrest’s giving me a dressing down?” Of all the damnfool things he’d ever done, this just shot up to the top of that list. Worse, he couldn’t explain to her why he went to New York to see Harris. “Oh, crap.”

“I tried to convince him not to be too hard on you, but I can’t guarantee what he’ll say,” Amanda warned. “He’s already in Los Angeles and waiting for you, so get your formals on. You’ve got ten minutes!” And with that, Amanda Hayes turned on her heels and left the room without another word.

I’m a dead man walking. Not only had he managed to tick off the highest-ranking officer in Starfleet, but his mother was upset with him too. Matt sighed and turned toward his closet. He’d expected to wear his formal uniform to his wedding, not to a court-martial, but it looked like he wasn’t going to have a choice. Look at the bright side...at least you won’t have to worry about Gardner sending you out early. You’ll be lucky to still have command after this.

The thought failed to cheer him, even as he slowly changed into his formal captain’s uniform. A garbage scow was starting to sound like a great assignment compared to what he expected Forrest to do to him.


Back to Part 9
Continue to Part 11

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.