Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calm Before the Storm"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Yeah, it sounds like an insidious thing, but Malcolm still doesn’t know exactly HOW it’s spread yet—he’s only speculating. And does he actually have Pa’nar (or whatever this strain of it is) or something else? You’ll see soon.

And yes, Columbia’s due to leave soon (Gardner’s not exactly popular in this AU right now). The clock’s ticking for Hayes, but he doesn’t know it yet.

This is the last chapter of this story. The next one, “Green Ice” is forthcoming. Thanks to all my readers and reviewers! Please leave a review. Thanks!


Fifteen

The atmosphere aboard Columbia was charged with excitement. Engineers scrambled to conduct last-minute tests on the new warp engine, while the medics stocked the Sickbay with as many supplies as they could fit. The Sciences department played with the new equipment from Starfleet Sciences and Technology and the Vulcan Science Academy. The crew was finally going out to explore the galaxy, which was what they were meant to do.

Captain Matt Hayes walked the decks, pausing every so often to talk to his crew. They greeted him and asked him how his honeymoon went. He answered, “Fine,” and go on with a mysterious smile on his face. Of course, he heard the comments in his wake, but didn’t care what was said.

“Status report, Commander,” Matt said as he strode onto his Bridge. His crew snapped to attention, but he waved a hand for them to continue their work.

J.T. Daniels smiled from the science station. “We are on target for launch in 18 hours, sir. Both Starfleet and MACO personnel have reported on board and are getting settled in. Sciences reports installation of new equipment complete, and Engineering is finishing their tests on the new warp engine.”

“I bet Commander Opur is dancing all over Engineering right now.” Matt had a mental picture of the Raquillian engineer doing the cha-cha, then shook his head and tried to get rid of the image.

“By the way, Captain, you have a message from Doctor Arroyo.”

Matt accepted the PADD and read the short message: All personnel must have a current baseline physical and DNA sample before launch. No exceptions (that means YOU, Captain!) He chuckled and said, “Rosie’s getting testy again. I’d better head down there before she comes after me with a phase pistol.”

Daniels nodded sagely and said in a deadpan tone, “That would be wise, Captain.”

“Thanks, J.T.,” Matt said dryly as he handed the PADD back to Daniels. “Carry on.”

“Aye, sir, and sir—“

“J.T.?”

“Welcome back, sir.”

Matt grinned and said, “It’s good to be back, Commander.”


“Is all this really necessary, Rosie?”

Arroyo shook her head and gave Matt one of those looks. “Sorry, Captain, but even you aren’t exempt from the new rules from Starfleet Medical. They want to make sure everyone’s in optimal health before we go out to explore the unknown.”

“All right. Let’s get this over with.”

She nodded and proceeded with her scans and tests. As she worked, she asked him about his new wife and how his honeymoon went. Arroyo studied him as he told her, and she silently approved of how much more relaxed he seemed, of how happy he appeared. Now that he’d finally married Hoshi Sato, he could concentrate on the upcoming mission.

“So is it Hoshi Hayes now, or did she decide to keep her maiden name? Or is it hyphenated to Sato-Hayes?”

Matt chuckled and replied, “Officially, it’s still Sato. Two ‘Captain Hayeses’ would be confusing in Starfleet communications. I don’t have a problem with it. We know we’re married.”

“She strikes me as the independent sort.”

“You’ve met her family. They do what they do, when they want to do it, and how.” He laughed openly at the thought. “In other words, they get along well with my family.”

Rosie grinned as her computer signaled the end of the medical tests. “All right, you’re clear for the next six months.”

“Six months? I have to do this all over again in six months?”

She shrugged and said, “We’ll be the first ones on an extended space mission in a warp-capable starship, Matt. Starfleet Medical’s wants to gather as much data as possible.

“Fine.” He didn’t look thrilled at the prospect, but Rosie knew he’d worry about it again in six months.

“All right, Captain, you’re free to go. Let’s make an effort to not get yourself too beat up this time, okay?”

“I’ll try. See you later, Rosie.”

After he was gone, Rosie surveyed his test results, then ran a new analysis on them. She drummed her fingers on the tabletop as the minutes ticked by; when she realized what she was doing, she made an effort to stop herself. Then the words came up on the screen: Analysis of possible viral proteins: negative.

She blew out a relieved sigh, then began to record the results. So far, it appeared Columbia’s crew was free of the mutated Pa’nar virus. At least, that was good news to start their new mission.


“I’m gone for two days and I miss everything.” Hoshi shook her head in dismay. “When did they leave?”

Malcolm sighed and rubbed his face with his hand. “T’Pol left fourteen hours ago. When Lieutenant Commander Tucker was sufficiently recovered, he took off after her, over my pointed objections. That was eight hours ago.”

“T’Phena. Why does that name sound familiar?” Hoshi’s forehead wrinkled in thought. Then recognition dawned and she said, “She’s the one who went rogue from the Security Ministry, wasn’t she? The one who set up an ambush that caught Trip’s friend—“

“Major T’Lydya. Yes, the same person Trip worked with at the Vulcan Consulate ten years ago.”

“Why would T’Phena hurt Trip? And how did she managed to slip by security at Headquarters without anyone detecting her?” Hoshi shook her head again. “And T’Pol’s ‘Rite of Vengeance’—“

Malcolm inclined his head and said, “According to Vulcan law, T’Pol is entitled to bring T’Phena to justice. T’Lydya had been her mentor during her short time in the Security Ministry; the connection between master and apprentice is sacred.” He hesitated for a few moments before he added, “I also believe that she may have another reason for her thirst for revenge.”

Hoshi nodded once and said, “Trip. Jon told me how he and the others saved him after T’Phena dropped him from the skybridge.” He started in surprise at her quick realization, but she smiled and added, “I’ve noticed certain things in the past five months, Malcolm.”

“Are you sure you aren’t mistaken, Hoshi?”

She answered his question with one of her own. “Have you see anything that may indicate otherwise?”

He had a list of answers ready for her: She’s Vulcan and he’s Human. She’s betrothed. He’s emotional and irrational; she’s rational and logical. For God’s sake, he’s red-blooded and she’s green-blooded! But as he opened his mouth to say these, nothing came out. He closed his mouth.

“Is it that obvious?” Malcolm wondered aloud, though he had another reason for asking that. If a Vulcan could betray such emotion for another, then how can a Human hide that same emotion?

“Not really. I’m a linguist by training, remember? Communication is more than just verbal.”

He grunted in agreement. “I believe T’Pol would be mortified if anyone would call attention to it.”

“Which is why I won’t say anything if you won’t.”

Malcolm gazed at her and said with a quiet laugh, “It seems that I am the keeper of many secrets, Hoshi.”

“Doctor-patient confidentiality, Malcolm?”

He shrugged in response and hoped his expression didn’t give away his deepest thoughts. He changed the subject slightly. “What will you do about T’Pol and Trip?”

She sighed unhappily. “If we do anything, we could endanger one or both of them. Soval confirmed that it’s a Vulcan Security Ministry affair, and we don’t have any say in it. Enterprise will still be in drydock for at least another three weeks with the upgrades, so they have that much time to find T’Phena and bring her back to Vulcan.”

“And if they miss the deadline?”

Her dark eyes flashed as she replied, “Then Security Minister T’Pau says she’ll find a way to get them out.” Her tone clearly told Malcolm what she thought of that. He was about to ask something else, but Hoshi’s communicator went off. She reached for it on her belt and said, “Sato.”

“Captain Sato, Admiral Forrest requests the honor of your presence and the presence of your senior staff at the second launch of Columbia at 0700 tomorrow morning.”

She stiffened at the reminder and Malcolm saw the mask slip into place. “Affirmative.”

“Command, out.”

Hoshi flipped her communicator closed and sighed deeply. “Malcolm?”

“I’ll be there,” he told her, his voice still gentle.

“Thank you,” was all she said. She gave him a sad smile, then turned and left. Malcolm watched her go, then turned back to his ever-present PADD. Like Rosie Arroyo, he had used the upcoming mission as an excuse to check as many members of the Enterprise crew for the mutated virus. He wished he’d been able to test Trip and T’Pol before they’d left, but unfortunately, that would have to wait until they returned. Malcolm glanced at the results he’d gathered so far:

Commander Travis Mayweather, Analysis of possible viral proteins: negative.

Commander Phlox: Analysis of possible viral proteins: negative

Lieutenant Jonathan Archer: Analysis of possible viral proteins: negative

At least Archer had tested negative for the mutated virus, which gave him hope for the others whom he hadn’t received results yet. And just on cue, the computer beeped with Hoshi’s results:

Captain Hoshi Sato, Analysis of possible viral proteins: negative

Malcolm closed his eyes and sighed deeply in relief. Hoshi was safe. It had taken all of his professional training to keep his hands from trembling as he took her test samples. He opened his eyes and added it to the list of personnel he’d gotten from Rosie. To their collective relief, no one from Columbia had any trace of the virus, including Matt Hayes and Nate Kemper.

So, as of now, he looked the lone name on the other list: Doctor (Commander) Malcolm Reed, Analysis of possible viral proteins: inconclusive.


0530 was too early in the day for most people, but Jonathan Archer enjoyed the early morning. He arrived at the observation deck at Spacedock ahead of the others, and gazed down at the Columbia as she floated serenely in space. He heard footsteps behind him and looked over his shoulder.

“Morning, Dad.”

Admiral Henry Archer nodded at his only son. “Morning, Jon.” The elder Archer put his hands on the railing and looked at the second warp-capable ship in the Fleet. “She’s a beauty, isn’t she.”

Jon returned his grin and said, “Enterprise is prettier.”

“Thought you’d think so.” Henry laughed and clapped his son on the shoulder. “I knew you wouldn’t resist the chance of serving aboard her, no matter what Soval said.”

He shrugged. “You can take the engineer out of space, but...”

“...you can’t take the space out of the engineer. Or thewanderlust out of the galactic traveler.” Henry grinned and said, “I knew you’d find a way to get back out there. You’re an explorer, son. New cultures, new people. I envy you, sometimes.”

“I thought you enjoyed talking with the Vulcans, the Andorians and the Denobulans about their engines.”

“True, and I’m proud that we built those engines to bring you out to the stars.” Henry raised a hand, “but you experience space travel first-hand. Something I can only dream about now.”

Jon nodded. Henry Archer’s health had been in a steady decline for years, and that prevented him from personally exploring the stars with his own engine. “I’ll do you proud, Dad.”

“I know you will, son. You’ve got a good captain and crew.” The door opened behind them and Hoshi Sato stepped out. “And speaking of—“

Hoshi blinked as she saw the two Archers and immediately snapped to attention. “Admiral Archer.”

“At ease, Captain Sato.” Henry indicated Columbia with his chin. “Your husband’s going to do just fine out there.”

She smiled, though it was tinged with worry. “I know he will.”

“You all right, Captain?” Jon asked. He knew it this was difficult for her; to marry a man, only to see him leave forty-eight hours later and not knowing when she would see him again. Hoshi put up a brave front, but he could tell her heart was breaking.

Hoshi nodded. “I will be, Jon. Thank you.”

Slowly, the rest of the crew filed onto the Observation Deck. Commander Phlox greeted Henry Archer and the two immediately launched into a discussion of the new warp engine in Columbia’s engine room. Commander Travis Mayweather talked quietly with Doctor Malcolm Reed. News of Trip and T’Pol’s “classified assignment” had spread among the crew, and although they weren’t physically present, their presences were felt.

Admiral Forrest and Admiral Gardner stood apart from the others. Aside from a formal hello, Gardner kept mostly to himself. Forrest moved next to Hoshi, who stood alone at the duraglass window.

“Are you all right?” he asked. She glanced sideways at him, then nodded. He added, “Any regrets?”

She shook her head. “Despite everything, Max? No. No regrets.”

Other guests arrived: Commander A.G. Robinson, Admiral Williams, Admiral Leonard. Ambassador Soval stepped into the room and his gaze met Forrest’s. The piercing eyes shifted towards Hoshi Sato; Forrest only gave him a small nod.

At precisely 0700, they heard Captain Matt Hayes’s voice on the speakers. “Columbia to Spacedock Control. Request permission to depart.”

A minute later, the controller replied, “Permission granted, Columbia. Fair sailing, Captain Hayes.”

“Thank you, Spacedock Control. Columbia, out.”


And Columbia sailed free of Spacedock and headed out of Earth orbit. Hoshi pressed her hand to the glass as it shrank from view. She knew all eyes were on her, so she managed a smile and whispered, “Safe journey, love.”


Captain Sato’s Enterprise resumes its new mission in story number eight in the series, tentatively named “Command Decisions”.

The next story (number seven), “Green Ice” focuses on TnT in this AU universe.


Back to Part 14

This series continues in "Green Ice"

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.