Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Calm Before the Storm"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: You get to meet some members of Hoshi’s family and she receives a strange visitor from Matt Hayes’s past.

Thanks to Begoogled and Ladyhawke Legend:)

Thanks, Pesterfield and TokoronaSh:)


Two

“Hoshi-chan, please stay still. We must get this done right!” Michiko Sato’s mouth was full of pins, but her tone of disapproval carried through clearly. “We’re almost finished.”

Hoshi Sato sighed and kept a tight rein on her temper. Michiko Sato and her mother’s sister, Grace Hikagawa, were adding the final touches to the wedding kimono: red satin, with white chrysanthemums and pink cherry blossoms on it. Grace hemmed the sleeves with delicate gold thread, while Michiko gently turned down the collar. Hoshi looked at herself in the full-length mirror and thought, Mama does good work. It is beautiful. I owe her for so much, and just for this.

The Sato family had been there for Enterprise’s homecoming after the Romulan crisis. They’d seen the damage to the starship and heard all the rumors, and immediately went into panic mode. Hoshi, the youngest of the clan, endured all the weeping, the “concerned” lectures, the gushes of praise from the elder members.

And of course, they’d done the same to her crew. Travis Mayweather, Phlox and Trip Tucker came from large families and took the Satos’ antics in stride. Malcolm Reed and T’Pol hopped the first available transport back to Vulcan. Jon Archer somehow managed to keep the family “mini-crisis” to a minimum; he’d promised to personally make sure Hoshi would arrive in San Francisco for the wedding on time and in one piece.

Hoshi rolled her eyes. All it took was one sentence: “Mama, I’m getting married.”

They all knew where, what for, why and to whom. Michiko Sato whipped out her scanner and tape measure for “a wedding kimono to rival the Goddess Ameratsu’s” and Hiroshi Sato ordered several hundred cases of premium saké from his distilleries. And once Columbia had arrived, just as battle-scarred as Enterprise had been, Matt Hayes had gotten the third-degree lecture from all of Hoshi’s aunts, uncles, cousins and assorted relatives.

And that didn’t count all the chaos from the Hayes side of the family, either. Colonel Amanda Hayes had thrown up her hands and told her son, quite plainly, “It’s about damn time you married her!” Yes, no one could underestimate Matt Hayes’s mother, especially since she was a MACO colonel. Hoshi got along with her well; Amanda was going to be an interesting mother-in-law. Hoshi wondered how Matt’s (now deceased) father would have taken the news.

“Hoshi-chan!” This time, pins went flying as Michiko's voice rose in exasperation.

She sighed again. “Sumimasen, Mama,” she murmured. “Sorry.”

“It won’t be long now,” Michiko reassured her, as she expertly held one pleat with one hand and gathered the fallen pins with the other. Grace sighed and readjusted a sleeve. Michiko continued her upbeat chatter with, “You are marrying a fine young man. It is natural to be nervous.”

Hoshi gave her mother a tight smile. “Were you this nervous when you married Dad?”

“Terrified,” Michiko said with a wink. “I was so scared I spilled the ritual bowl all over your father’s shoes during the ceremony."

"Oh, no!" Hoshi cried, caught between horror and laughter. The wedding couple shared a bowl of sake during the ceremony to seal their intent to marry. To spill it on your groom's shoes was more than an "accident"; it was practically a sacrilege.

"My mother was scandalized; she demanded an immediate annulment," Michiko continued, with wicked merriment.

Aunt Grace piped up, “But the rest of the family liked your father, so she was overruled. She came around, eventually, though it took a few decades.”

Hoshi chuckled, but tried to keep as still as possible. “Luckily, I don’t believe I have that problem.”

“I asked him over the years why he wouldn’t say anything, but he wanted to make sure it was the right time.” Michiko said. “A shrewd man, indeed. Your father said he’d be an excellent businessman, if he ever left Starfleet.”

“Already planning his retirement, Mama?”

Michiko laughed again and gave her one of those looks. “Do you think Matthew would do anything he didn’t want to do? He’s more stubborn than your third cousin—“

The sound of soft feet interrupted Michiko. Hoshi managed to turn her head enough to see Second Cousin Hitomi. The girl stared at Hoshi wide-eyed, her voice hushed as she whispered, “Hoshi-chan, you have a gentleman at the door.”

“Who is he?” Michiko asked, before Hoshi could open her mouth.

“He says he used to work with Captain Hayes in Starfleet Security and that he must speak with Hoshi-chan immediately.”

“Tell him he must wait five minutes until we are done with this final fitting. Say no word, Hoshi-chan,” her mother said, spearing her daughter with a pointed glare, “he can spare five minutes. Hitomi, offer him refreshment while he waits.”

“Yes, Mama,” Hitomi replied, with a bow of her head and she left to inform the visitor.

Hoshi waited impatiently as her mother and aunt fussed over the wedding kimono, until they both pronounced it perfect. They helped her out of the cumbersome outfit and Hoshi made her way through the narrow halls of the family apartment. Even a well-to-do family like the Satos understood that land was still at a premium in Tokyo, even in the twenty-second century.

Hitomi leaped to her feet from her cushion in the living room. “Hoshi-san, your visitor.”

“Thank you, Hitomi-chan,” Hoshi said softly. Her cousin bowed, then fled deeper into the apartment. Hoshi watched as the visitor got up from his cross-legged sitting position on the floor. He was tall, perhaps an inch or two shorter than Jon Archer, white-haired and bespectacled. His piercing blue eyes sparkled with genuine humor. The man reminded her of a kind grandfather, one who carried sweets in his pockets for the children. But she didn’t recognize him at all, which heightened her sense of alarm.

The man sensed her feelings and addressed her. “My name is Mark Harris. I used to work with Matt Hayes in Starfleet Security. I take it he’s never mentioned me?”

“No,” Hoshi said. “Then again, he hasn’t told me about half the people he worked with.”

“Starfleet security protocols, I’m afraid,” Harris said with a regretful shake of his head, “also known as ‘you’ll know when you need to know’. I’m retired now, and I've moved back home to Edmonton, but Starfleet Security asked me to see you.”

Her tension ratcheted up another notch. “Is there something wrong? Does it concern Matt?”

Harris nodded. “Well, both of you, actually. Is there some place private where we can talk? I mean, more private than usual for a place where everyone can hear?”

She chuckled. “My office. Please follow me.”

Like the other rooms of the small apartment, the office was separated by a sliding shoji, and the floor was covered by thick tatami mats. Hoshi gestured him to a seat cushion, while she picked a large pillow directly across from him.

Harris glanced all around him. “Very nice and spartan, Captain. It reminds me of my wife’s.”

She blinked and repeated, “Wife? You’re married?”

“Why, yes,” he replied, surprised. “Her name is Sakumi Takahashi. She’s a diplomatic aide, a sometimes-adversary of Soval.” His smile was almost predatory as he said the Vulcan’s name. “She’s at the Andorian Embassy in San Francisco right now, playing hostess to a certain blue-skinned gentleman and his lady.”

Hoshi blinked as the words sank in. “Shran?”

Harris chuckled and said, “Yes, the captain volunteered to be the Andorian Imperial Guard’s representative at your wedding. He said something about...being related? I haven't seen Matt in years, but I don't remember him having a pair of antennae on the top of his head or blue skin.”

She winced and rolled her eyes. “I don’t know exactly how it came about, but apparently, Captain Shran ‘adopted’ Matt as his ‘brother’. Matt did something to earn a life debt, but you’ll have to ask Matt what, because I have no idea.”

“Does it bother you that your fiancé now has familial ties to Andoria, even if they’re ceremonial?”

Hoshi gazed at him. Why was Harris asking her this? “No, it doesn’t,” she replied carefully, “because I’ve actually seen Captain Shran and fought alongside him in battle. He’s an honorable man, and a passionate one as well. I consider him an ally as well as a friend.”

Harris sighed in what seemed like relief. “Good. Andoria would be a valuable ally to Earth if anything were to happen in the future. Captain Sato—Hoshi—Starfleet Security wants to make sure nothing happens to you, Matt, your families, your crews, or your guests during the wedding. What I’m about to tell you must stay between us.”

“Of course.” Hoshi discreetly crossed her fingers as she said it.

He didn't seem to notice, for he continued, “Captain Shran and his lady are not the only non-Human guests. Ambassador Soval and Captain Gral are making appearances as well from their respective governments.”

Her mouth dropped open., for this was also news to her. “I knew about Soval, but the others—“

“They will be in danger; many people are still wary of the Vulcans’ presence on Earth, so you can guess what’ll happen when an Andorian and a Tellarite show up in the same place.” Harris sighed and ran a hand through his short hair; the gesture reminded Hoshi of Trip Tucker, how Trip would do the same when he was stressed.

“I can see why Starfleet Security would be worried,” she said, her voice still calm. Inside, she was seething, Can’t I have a wedding without interference? Why can’t politics just leave us alone for a few hours?

Again, Harris seemed to uncannily pick up her thoughts. “I’m sorry that I have to be the one to be the bearer of bad news,” he said ruefully. “A wedding is supposed to be one of the most joyful days in a couple’s life. Unfortunately, both you and Matt are high-profile celebrities now, and Starfleet—and Earth’s government—need someone to show a face of solidarity when there might be a possible conflict. Unfortunately, you two are it.”

“Wonderful,” Hoshi groaned. She leaned forward and massaged her temples.

“Hoshi, I may be officially retired from Starfleet, but I still have some pull in Starfleet Security. I can help make sure nothing happens to ruin your special day. I want to help you and Matt here, and to do that, I need to make sure you know what’s going on, so you can be prepared.” Harris sighed and closed his eyes. “I’m sorry I have to tell you this.”

“It’s not your fault,” she said automatically, reaching over to grasp his wrist in a gesture of reassurance. “I won’t shoot the messenger.”

“Thank you,” he replied, with a grateful smile. “There’s one other thing I have to tell you...this is all supposed to be hush-hush, so I’d appreciate it if you don’t tell Matt.”

“Not tell him? Why?”

Harris shifted uncomfortably. “Well, we didn’t exactly part on good terms, so I want to make it up to him...consider this my wedding present, presented anonymously. Please, Hoshi, I’m asking you to not tell him.”

She opened her mouth to object; she didn’t want to start married life hiding secrets from Matt, but then Matt had already hid secrets from her, concerning his days with Security. This was no different.

“All right,” she said grudgingly. “Not a word, Harris.”

He nodded. “We’ll make sure this goes without a hitch, Hoshi. I promise you that.”


And outside the shoji door, Grace Hikagawa frowned, then stealthily made her way down the hall, grabbed her coat, and left through the front door of the Sato’s apartment.


Back to Part 1
Continue to Part 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.