Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Code of Honor"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Pairing: R/S
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: This chapter answers the long-standing question “Who murdered Philippe’s parents?” and how Philippe came under the influence of the metracel-blue. This chapter foreshadows some of the future events in the third story of the Code of Honor trilogy, “Blood Ties”. The second story, “Absolute Power” details the Vega Conference and a major change in the Boomer organization.

Please leave a review! Thanks!


Seventeen

Right before the convoy reached the Sharyu Corridor, the narrow band of space that served as a shortcut to many Colonies (including Alpha Centauri, Draylax and Vega), communications messages came in fast and furious. Hoshi and Cherwa Dazin, Ofee’s comm officer, spent several frantic hours retrieving as many of them as they could before the comm lines were cut off by the Corridor.

“Looks like we’re making progress,” crowed Cherwa. Her exclamation brought Ofee and Malcolm to her side. “Draylax is again under the control of Ju’reel’s supporters and Ravi Nandjani’s lieutenant rounded up some metracel-blue runners skimming over Aldeberan’s atmosphere. Caught ‘em red handed in a cargo and security protocol swap.”

Hoshi nodded, but she didn’t smile. “Altair’s Consortium recalled their representative to answer to charges of conspiracy. They’ve released some of his correspondence to some of the Boomers under his influence...and it’s pretty damning.”

Malcolm scowled and said, “They pretty much left their man to dry, didn’t they?”

“Pretty much, except they claim they’ve been investigating the representative all this time. Of course, no one believes that.” Hoshi shrugged and went to the next message. “A proclamation from Lady Asagawa on Vega: ‘The conference will address this issue immediately. We of Asagawa Incorporated strongly denounce those who control others through means of physical, mental or chemical coercion, and we will prosecute those who do this.”

Mona bit her lip and commented, “That’s the strongest stance I’ve heard her take so far.”

“Even Asagawa knows which way the wind is blowing,” Ofee commented. “If she’s involved with the metracel-blue cartel in any way, she’s making sure that her consortium can’t be implicated. Not even your Starfleet would be able to touch her.”

If she’s guilty, we’ll find a way to prove it,” Malcolm said. “She can’t hide it forever.”

They all looked up as the lights dimmed. “We’ve entered the Sharyu Corridor,” announced Ofee’s helmsman. “ETA to Vega, twenty hours.”

Cherwa pressed her transtator to her ear and said, “Commandant Reed, you wanted to know when Master Trieste was awake again. Doctor Phlox just commed to say he just finished a round of blood cleansing, and is able to take visitors.”

Malcolm smiled at Hoshi, who smiled back. He’d been careful not to betray the fact that he knew her secret. He blew her a kiss as he entered the lift and left her to wonder about it.


“Good to see you, Malcolm,” Philippe greeted him from his biobed. His normal healthy flush had returned to his cheeks, though his eyes were still red-rimmed. He gestured to the seat next to him. “I suppose I owe you an apology.”

“Whatever for?” Malcolm asked. “You don’t have anything to apologize for—“

“Actually, I do.” Philippe sobered as he sat back among his pillows. “My behavior has been abominable. I should have listened to Paul and Emil de Jeunier, but I didn’t. I allowed my emotions to run rampant and dictate my actions.”

“You aren’t a Vulcan, Philippe, and you can’t be expected to be perfect.”

The young man looked straight at him. “I found evidence on who murdered my parents.”

Malcolm raised both his eyebrows, but it took all of his self-control not to drop his jaw in shock. “You did? Who did it?”

“Jiada Su-Hahn...the daughter of the Altairian ambassador and the wife of the Altairian Consortium’s younger son.” He narrowed his eyes and kept his voice even. “My mother invited her to one of EdML’s functions and Su-Hahn gave her a fire ruby brooch. Su-Hahn had it specially made and the metal was infused with su-bul.”

“A corrosive poison that is absorbed by the skin and used by Orion assassins. Practically undetectable in its pure form.”

“Yes. My mother took forty-eight hours to die.” Philippe closed his eyes. “And Father was in an aircar headed to CSF headquarters with evidence against the Altairians. He never made it; they never found his body because its molecules were spread all over central Cochrane Commons.”

“God. Je suis desolee, Philippe. I’m so sorry.”

“I went a little crazy,” he admitted. “I retreated to Matre de Soleil, against both Emil’s and Paul’s advice. Even Sophie despaired of my sanity for a time.” Philippe chuckled, but it sounded hollow. “I wanted revenge, and God help me, I even considered retribution. Instead, I channeled my attention in protecting EdML’s interests. Quite single-minded of me, for then...I let down my defenses.”

Malcolm leaned forward. “Who provided you with the mertracel-blue, Philippe?”

“Ravi Nandjani’s great-uncle, Vishra. At that time, he’d gotten Ravi under his influence. Your father saw it and insisted on going to Aldeberan to stop Vishra, so I allowed it. Then I sent Paul to Draylax because of his connections there and I wanted to go to Altair, but Sophie pointed out that was too dangerous, and that the conference on Vega was too important. Bless her, she was correct.”

“She’s a good woman.”

“Just like Hoshi.” Philippe smiled, but it was tinged with shyness. “When all this is over, I wish to make her a permanent member of my family.”

“I’d like to be there when you do.”

“Of course. You and Travis are my Stewards. You do have an obligation to make sure I don’t get into too much trouble,” Philippe said lightly. His good humor fled as quickly as it had come. “There’s still the little business of bringing the Altairian Consortium to justice, but that will be later on the agenda. Not forgotten, though. I will not allow it to be forgotten.”

Malcolm shivered at the coldness in Philippe’s voice. He’d been worried about the transformation in the young man’s demeanor since he’d come aboard Dante. Travis had confessed the fear that Philippe might give in to the backstabbing politics of the trading Consortiums, and Travis had been justified in that fear. Now Malcolm saw it happening right before his eyes.

The young Enterprise gamma shift helmsman had vanished and a stranger sat in his place.

“What will you do, Philippe?”

“Find the proof to bring down Su-Hahn and her Altairian relatives. I already have people working on it, Malcolm.” He smiled. “Don’t worry; nothing immoral or illegal. Yet.”

Malcolm sighed and shook his head. “Will it stay that way?”

“I will try my best to keep it so.” Again, that piercing gaze that Malcolm found unnerving. “But I cannot make any promises, Malcolm, that I cannot keep.”


Later, Malcolm told Hoshi about Philippe’s bombshell. She stared at him, openmouthed, not bothering to hide her shock. Oneko hissed and arched her back, then went into a tirade of yowls and snarls. Hoshi’s hand automatically went to smooth the avatar’s fur, for even now, her instinct for comforting was a large part of her. Malcolm hid a smile; that instinct would be helpful in the next six months or so.

“So that’s how they were able to get to him,” Hoshi murmured, “by taking advantage of his shock and grief. What kind of people—? Never mind, I think I know. I remember Alejandro Romero telling me about his family on Altair and what kind of regime they lived under. Jiada Su-Hahn comes from a well-off family of diplomats and doctors. Her father works at the Altarian Consulate in San Francisco. Mikeal Su-Hahn.”

Malcolm nodded. Corporal Alejandro Romero had been one of Major Hayes’s MACOs, and was now under the command of Captain Fiona McKenzie. Romero’s family was famous (or notorious, depending on whose side you were on) for being outspoken against the Altarian regime.

“You sound like you know him.”

“He fancies himself a talented linguist, taught a few courses at Stanford for one semester. The Interstellar Affairs department nearly revolted and Jon Archer had to step in as ‘a concerned alumnus’.” Her mouth twisted in dry humor. “This was before he took command of Enterprise, but after the Warp 5 project. I heard about it when I was at the University of Brazil.”

“Oh.” He didn’t ask what she thought of Mikeal Su-Hahn; her tone made that quite clear. “But would his daughter-in-law stoop to murder for the Altarian Consortium?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never met her—” Hoshi shrugged, “—but I do know that Su-Hahn’s family isn’t satisfied with just being mid-level diplomats. Ambitious, for sure. He will be there for the talks on Vega, so you’ll get to meet him yourself.”

“I might do that.” Malcolm sighed and leaned back, coaxing Hoshi into his arms. “But first things, first. We deal with Asagawa and see what she’s up to, then we see to Altair.”

She nodded and Oneko meowed in agreement. “And in the meantime...you need to rest, love. You’ve been doing extraordinarily well lately and I want that to continue.”

His lips hovered over hers and she smiled. “So do I.”


The Dante convoy came out of the Sharyu Corridor just outside the Vega system. Hoshi swiveled around in the comm officer’s chair and said, “We’ve got incoming transmissions from the various Boomer representatives, Ofee.”

“Let me see the ones on the Alpha Queue, Hoshi.” Ofee’s screen lit up with messages. “Ah, Michiko Asagawa’s just shot up to the top of the list. Put her through, Hoshi.”

The main screen swam with interference, then it solidified into the unsmiling face of Lady Michiko Asagawa, current leader of the Vega Consortium. Her oval face and bewitching black eyes were similar to Sumiko Tanaka, the deposed former leader of Tanaka Enterprises. That was where the similarities ended; her shiny black hair was cut into a bob at her shoulders and her kimono shone brilliantly in bright colors, as opposed to Tanaka’s more sober hues.

“Welcome to Vega, Captain Obersky,” Asagawa said in perfect Standard English. “I see your convoy has arrived safely.”

“Yes, thank the stars.” Ofee smiled and inclined her head. “Thank you for extending your hospitality to us, Lady Asagawa.”

“I understand Lysander has undergone a change of command, Captain. A pity that Captain Brunswicke was not as honorable as the Boomers thought. I am looking forward to meeting with Captain Mayweather as the Boomer representative.” Asagawa smiled and greeted Hoshi in Japanese. Hoshi got to her feet and bowed slightly, and Asagawa returned the bow as an equal.

After more pleasantries, Asagawa addressed Ofee again. “I will send the particulars of the meeting directly to you, Captain Obersky. I am looking forward to seeing you.”

“And we are eager to see you as well. Dante, out.” Ofee gestured for Hoshi to cut the channel. Her eyes flickered towards Malcolm. “Well, Malcolm? Your thoughts?”

He smirked. “So much like her cousin Tanaka, and yet so different. I definitely advise caution.”

“Heard and well-taken, Commandant Reed. I’m sure Paul and Philippe have heard and made their own impressions.” Ofee nodded. “Security protocols?”

“Already have some of them in place. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll consult with Paul and Travis now.” At Ofee’s nod, Malcolm left the Bridge. This was the moment he’d prepared for, and he wanted his plans to work smoothly. Yet if his luck held, it was going to be quite a challenge.


Back to Part 16
Continue to Part 18

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.