Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Deadly Negotiations"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Wish I did
Notes: Travis and Philippe deal with the aftermath of the EdML conspiracy. There are still some loose ends to tie up, folks, and the last story in the Boomer Bust Trilogy, “Broken Loyalties” will be posted soon!


Twelve

“Archer to Mayweather. Travis, are you awake?”

Travis groaned and rolled onto his side. He looked at the digital clock; the time on it made his eyes fly open. I’ve been asleep for more than fourteen hours? Oh, hell. He twisted around and hit the comm button. “Mayweather.”

“Sorry to wake you, Travis, but you wanted to know the minute Malcolm got out of surgery..”

“How is he?” Travis felt a stab of panic; he remembered Hoshi’s tear-streaked face at the hospital and feared the worst.

“He’s lucky; the bullet passed through his back and missed his heart. He’ll be confined to bed for a while yet, but he should make a full recovery.”

Travis closed his eyes and breathed a sigh of relief. Both Malcolm and Admiral Forrest had been rushed into surgery following the assassination attempt. The MACOs were also at the hospital, recovering from their injuries. The fallout of the CSF scandal had already reached all corners of the planet. The last Travis had heard, the security force was undergoing a massive shakedown. More MACOs from Earth were arriving in transports to help keep the peace while Alpha Centauri got itself reorganized.

Of course, that was a sticking point with the Centaurians and other colonists, but they didn't turn down the extra assistance.

“Travis?”

“Still here, Captain. I’m glad he’ll be okay. What about Admiral Forrest?”

“Recovering as well. The doctors made Admiral Reed lie still long enough to knock him out. Turns out that Malcolm’s dad is worse than his son when it comes to Sickbay stays. Short of putting restraints on him, I’m not sure how they’re keeping him in bed.”

“Hoshi probably yelled at him,” Travis muttered under his breath.

Archer laughed at the remark. "Actually, no, she was quite logical and reasonable. He's still grumbling, but as long as she's here, he's staying put. Malcolm's mother and sister are enroute, so it'll be a Reed family reunion."

"Oh God." Travis groaned. He'd heard about the female members of the family from Hoshi. Poor Malcolm. At least Hoshi would be there to run interference, if it was needed. Then again, if Stuart could have a little change of heart, then perhaps the rest of the family could as well. Funny what being on the brink of death would do to a person, he reflected, then he kicked himself for the uncharitable thought. Malcolm had turned out all right, so maybe he could give credit where credit was due.

There was the sound of someone moving, then Hoshi Sato came on the line. She sounded haggard, but relieved. “Travis, the captain told me what happened. So it was Commandant Descartiers?”

Travis sighed. “Yeah. They managed to crack Descartiers’s personal codes. He was pretty detailed about what he did to derail the investigation into Philippe’s parents’ deaths. It was almost as if he was making a full confession and hoping someone would eventually find it. Rene Trieste and Guillem Montclaire trusted him, but he betrayed them both. Sounds like he was a reluctant player in the whole thing.”

“A crooked security officer with a conscience.”

“Yeah, something like that.”

"Blackmail?"

"I don't know. Maybe we'll find out from his logs." Travis decided to change the subject. “How’re you feeling?”

“Fine. A little tired, but fine.”

Travis managed a smile at the familiar reply. Hoshi had picked up some of the Reeds’ habits. “And the Admiral?”

“Stuart and I have had some...interesting discussions. He has some ideas of his own about improving Enterprise’s phase cannons.”

“Uh-oh.” Travis knew how touchy Malcolm was about the phase cannons, then he heard the note of humor in the communication officer’s voice. Perhaps father and son were ready to admit they were more alike in more ways than one. “I’ll be by a little later, Hoshi. Get some rest. You’ve earned it.”

Captain Archer came back on the line as Stuart Reed’s distinctive voice roared in the background as Hoshi laughed. “Travis, Philippe asked to see you as soon as possible. There are a few loose ends to tie up concerning EdML that he wants to settle.”

“I’ll talk to him, Captain.”

“See you later, Travis. Archer, out.”

Travis cut the connection and scrambled out of bed. He felt a shiver of dark foreboding as he thought: Philippe was now the head of EdML, but was there any trace of the human left after what he’d gone through to get there?

Philippe stood on the balcony off the Executive Suite, his slim frame illuminated by low lights. Travis hesitated at the open sliding doors, unwilling to disturb the fragile peace. Philippe's stance was different: stiffer, more formal. Travis sighed; the easygoing crewman on board the Enterprise no longer existed. A hardened man stood in his place. Travis mourned that loss, but there was no going back to the past. Damn, but it doesn't mean I have to like the outcome.

“Come on out, Travis. I know you’re there.”

He stepped onto the balcony and leaned his arms on the railing. The balcony affording a stunning view of the estate, the gardens and the sky dome above. Stars twinkled overhead like diamonds. Travis shared the silence; nothing needed to be said. After a long pause, Philippe finally spoke again.

“When are you leaving for Vega?”

“Tomorrow evening. Paul’s giving me a ride on his ship, Raven’s Revenge. We’re stopping by a few other colonies on the way. ‘Showing the flag’ as Admiral Gardner called it.”

“So you’re going into Tanaka’s den. I’d feel a lot better if Malcolm was going with you.”

“It’ll be a week or two before Malcolm can follow me. In the meantime, he, Hoshi and T’Pol are going to go over Descartiers’s logs with a fine tooth comb. If the head of the CSF was bought out, chances are good that other Centaurian officials were in the conspiracy. And Captain Archer thinks that other consortiums are mixed up with it too. My job is to find them and the biggest fish of ‘em all is Tanaka.”

Philippe managed a smile. “And you’re going after the biggest fish. She baited you, you know. She challenged you to her own game by giving you an opening.”

“Paul. Yeah, I know. I don’t think he’s fully aware of what she’s capable of. My mother’s now on Vega too, as one of Tanaka’s ‘guests’. Tanaka’s holding my family hostage and I’m gonna find a way to free ‘em.”

Philippe nodded at the sound of determination in his voice. “If you need anything, anything at all, let me know. As head of EdML, I’ve got a little pull. I owe you my life, my Steward, and my life is yours.”

Travis recognized the formal words. He reached over and clasped Philippe’s outstretched hands. “And know that my life is yours too, Philippe. That’s what Stewards are for, aren’t they?” he asked with a broad grin.


Back to Part 11
This series continues in Broken Loyalties

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.