Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Five Weddings (and a Funeral for My Sanity)"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em. Don't make money off 'em.
Notes: We see Feezal again in this chapter...and she has her own plans. You’ll find out some info about Phlox’s other two wives. Ensign Mueller finds himself in a predicament, but don’t worry...he’ll be okay. :)


Two

“I can sympathize with Phlox.”

Hoshi raised an eyebrow and turned towards the helm station. Lieutenant Travis Mayweather handled the helm with the air of a seasoned professional. She knew he didn’t like using the autopilot if he felt he didn’t have to. If he had his way, he’d manually dock Enterprise with Jupiter Station. Unfortunately, station protocol didn’t care for it, even if his skills were extraordinary.

“About family reunions, I mean.” Travis looked at her over his shoulder. “We used to have one every year on Horizon. Everyone came by and it got to be kinda overwhelming. Horizon’s not that big of a ship; imagine trying to find enough space for everyone to sleep! And there’s the inevitable personality conflicts, too. My dad was the great peacemaker; I don’t know how he did it.” He paused and asked, “Will all of Phlox’s family be here?”

“Not everyone, but we’re still talking at least twenty-five people.” She smiled and looked over the page of Denobulan etiquette. “Five weddings. Goodness...and a Denobulan wedding is a grand affair. Commander Tucker’s trying to convert some extra space for the occasion. And—“ Her console beeped with an incoming message.

“I still can’t believe they’re all coming here,” muttered Bernhard Mueller from Tactical. He added some other colorful expressions in German under his breath.

“Yeah, I suppose it’s a security nightmare, Bernhard,” said Travis.

Jawohl. And Mrs. Phlox asked for a personal escort when she’s on board. For protection, she said. I have the feeling there will be more than just a conflict of personalities.”

“An escort? That doesn’t sound good.”

Ach, so. And she specifically requested someone as her escort.”

“Commander Tucker?” Travis guessed. “Or Lieutenant Commander Reed?” He winced at Hoshi’s snort of disdain. “Doesn’t she know that Trip and Malcolm are, well, unavailable?”

“Doesn’t matter to a Denobulan. They’re pretty flexible when it comes to relationships,” Hoshi deadpanned.

“But—“ Travis’s remark was interrupted by the sound of Captain Archer coming out of his Ready Room. “Captain.”

Archer sighed and looked over at Hoshi with a resigned expression. “Put her on, Hoshi.”

The screen switched from the approach to Jupiter Station to a familiar face. Travis sat up straighter at the sight of Feezal Phlox. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Bernhard trying to make himself as unobtrusive as possible.

“Captain Archer. It’s a pleasure to see you again,” Feezal said, an unnatural Denobulan smile on her face.

“And you, Mrs. Phlox,” Archer replied, a complete gentleman. “Your husband is eagerly looking forward to your arrival.”

“And I am looking forward to seeing him.” Feezal inclined her head and added, “Ah, Ensign Mueller. I’m looking forward to meeting you as well. I’m sure that Lieutenant Commander Reed has the utmost confidence in your ability to keep me safe.”

Bernhard flushed crimson. “Um...thank you, Mrs. Phlox.”

Her face dimpled. “Ah, what is it with these Armory officers and the charming accents? It’s enough to make a grown woman swoon.” She brought her attention back to Captain Archer. “The medical frigate will dock with Jupiter Station in an hour. I will meet you in two hours.”

“See you then.” She nodded at Archer’s gracious reply, then the screen went back to Jupiter Station.

There was a heavy silence on the Bridge. Travis turned to the Tactical Station to see poor Bernhard sitting there with his face in his hands. Archer went over to Mueller’s side and put a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. “Bernhard...do you need an protective escort?”

“Maybe we ought to find him a wife in two hours,” Travis suggested, not without sympathy.

Kreuz, Birnbaum und Hollerstauden!” Bernhard cursed under his breath.


Malcolm sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Arranging guest quarters was easier said than done; Phlox had been helpful in avoiding potential conflicts between the family members. Ensign Cutler had graciously lent her quarters to Phlox’s two daughters and Feezal, while Crewmen Drake and Taliferro moved in with Crewmen Sanchez and Abernathy for the time being. It took the better part of an hour to find a suitable living arrangement for Phlox’s clan.

“Malcolm, do you have a minute?”

He glanced over his shoulder to see Hoshi. “Always for you, love,” he said warmly.

She smiled at him and replied, “How gallant of you, Malcolm. I think we might have a little problem.”

He sobered immediately. “What kind of problem?”

Hoshi glanced around to make sure they were alone, then pulled him into Liz Cutler’s former quarters. “Did you assign Bernhard to be Feezal’s escort?”

“She specifically requested him.” He gave her puzzled look. “Is that the problem?”

Hoshi sighed, rolled her eyes, and looked aggravated. “Did Trip ever tell you about when Feezal was last here?”

“He said that she’d been over friendly to him—“Malcolm stopped as he realized what she was implying. “Oh, bloody hell—did she tell you she’s actually thinking about pursuing Bernhard?”

“Not in so many words, but she just finished talking with Captain Archer on the Bridge and Bernhard was at Tactical—“ Hoshi shrugged. “Travis suggested finding him a wife in the next hour.”

“God. I owe Bernhard an apology.” Malcolm sighed and shook his head. “I can assign Brinkenwald to help him, make sure Feezal doesn’t try anything...untoward. I’ll warn Phlox too, and tell him that Bernhard’s not...inclined to start any kind of relationship with his wife of all things.”

“Phlox would tell you to encourage the poor man. Denobulans have an...interesting view of relationships in general.”

“I’ll talk to Bernhard and Johannes Brinkenwald. Hopefully, Johannes will be able to keep Feezal from getting her claws into our resident Bavarian.” He nodded. “Thanks for warning me, Hoshi.”

She smiled and kissed him. “You’re welcome.”


Phlox stood in the middle of his Sickbay, supervising one of Trip’s teams as they disconnected some of the medical equipment. He sighed as he imagined the new diagnostic tools to come, the improved biobeds, the wonderful additions to his menagerie. His eldest daughter, the surgeon, said she was bringing some new animals from Denobula, ones she had found helpful in her own practice.

Ah, Lailah, I am so looking forward to seeing you again. And Treesal, his other daughter, a biochemist, was bringing the results of her latest experiments. “Like father, like daughters,” as Feezal was fond of saying. If it were only Feezal and the girls, he would be ecstatic with joy. But with Azkiel and Zarial, and their children about to wed...and Shastia’s funeral ceremony—

He winced. Well, at least he’d see the ones he hadn’t seen in years; not all of the family were as...well, interesting...as Azkiel and Zariel and their kin. His first and third wives were unique in their own ways. Azkiel was a botanist, who handled flora with the preciseness of a scientist and the heart of an artist.

This ush-ra blossom reminds me of you, Phlox. Full of life and proud, eager for new adventures.” She gave him the plant, with its purple and cream-colored petals. Its main blossom was the size of his hand, still in full bloom, even after three days off the vine.

I thank you, Azkiel,” he’d replied as he sniffed the fragrant perfume. “I’ll take this with me to San Francisco.”

I’m sure you’ll learn many things to bring back to Denobula someday.”

I’ll return...eventually.” He smiled at her. “You will talk to Mettas?”

He’ll understand, Phlox..eventually. He listens too much to the Matriarch and her stories and she’s putting all sorts of nonsense about the Antarans in his head. I’ll make sure he doesn’t get himself into too much trouble.”

Thank you, Azkiel.”

Mettas wasn’t coming to this family affair; Phlox wasn’t sure whether or not he was glad of his youngest son’s absence. And Zariel...dear Zariel, with her creative flair on the stage...she was an extrovert in a family of introverts. Her operatic voice could hold an audience spellbound...or the attentions of her husbands.

“Looks like we’ve done what we can before your wife gets here, Doc.”

Phlox brought himself back to the present. “I appreciate you taking the time to do this, Commander—“

“Not a problem, Doc,” Trip replied. He wiped sweat from his forehead. “Gotta get back to Engineerin’, though.”

“Thanks again, Commander.” Phlox sighed as the engineering team left Sickbay, leaving him in relative peace for a moment. He glanced at the remaining biobed and the other medical equipment still functioning. Experience had taught him to be vigilant, for the flow of patients didn’t stop for a refit of Sickbay.

He narrowed his eyes at a series of scratches on the biobed frame, scratches he’d never noticed before. It took him a moment to realize they were a series of initials. MSR, LCDR. He grinned and thought, Ah, so that’s the reason why Commander Tucker left this particular biobed alone. I’m not sure if Lieutenant Commander Reed will appreciate this act of thoughtfulness.


Back to Part 1
Continue to Part 3

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.