Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Green Ice"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Genre: AU, Adventure Romance
Pairing: TnT
Archive?: Sure, just let me know first. Thanks!
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: More background on T’Pol and T’Phena and the nature of the bond between TnT. What’ll happen to T’Phena, Swaren and the crew of the T’Varra? And what about Vaeben, Mnheia and the Aegis? Stay tuned. The strange nature of this space (and its anomalies) have left their mark on T’Pol (and Trip as well, but that’s for later).

Just the epilogue after this. Please read and review! (Free cookies for those who do! Chocolate chip and sugar cookies galore! GRIN!)


Ten

T’Pol was on Vulcan again, at her family’s private compound. She heard sniffling from the direction of the marble fountain and went to investigate. T’Phena sat there on the bench, tears sliding down her face, her legs dangling off the edge of the bench. T’Pol’s steps quickened as she went to her foster-sister’s side.

“I grieve with thee on the death of your bondmate,” T’Pol whispered. “Oh, T’Phena, I am so sorry.”

“Why did Selwyk have to die?” T’Phena muttered. “He said he was prepared for the kahs-wan; his family was so proud of him! I felt him die, T’Pol. It was like my soul was torn apart. Why did he have to fight that sehlat? Why? He did not have to demonstrate how brave he was...now he’s left me all alone! No one will bond with me now.”

“Of course someone will.” T’Pol gently took T’Phena’s face in her hands. “We are only nine years old, T’Phena. We have plenty of time. You will be bonded again to someone who will treasure you as much as Selwyk did.”

“I envy you, T’Pol. Koss seems so courteous and attentive to you.”

T’Pol winced and hid her thoughts from T’Phena. How could she tell her grieving foster sister than she cared little for the man who would be her mate? She repeated, “You will find another, Sister.”

T’Phena looked up at her again and T’Pol was startled at how older she appeared, much older than nine years. “You did too. This Human, Tucker. I feel the bond between the two of you. How could you have given yourself to him?”

“I...haven’t. I am at a loss to explain why it exists. You know as much as I do at this point.”

T’Phena shot her a look of pure envy as she said, “It must be something extraordinary for the bond to form without you or he being aware of it...or without any physical contact at all.”

“Indeed.”

“But...what about the pon farr, when it comes?”

Again, T’Pol was at a loss, but a Human expression came unbidden to her lips. “I suppose that I will cross that bridge when I get to it.”

T’Phena stared at her, then burst out laughing. She wiped the tears off her face. “Oh, T’Pol, your sense of humor is so precious! I do wish you’d show it more often. Emotions are part of us, not something to deny or bury deep within us.” The smile faded. “Perhaps I should not have indulged so often. I have caused so much trouble.”

She reached over and grasped her foster sister’s hands. “Do not apologize. You are who you are. I rejoice in our differences, as Surak would say. You can still help me, be my counsel.”

“You want me to stay?” T’Phena looked up into the distance. The stone wall around the garden seemed to glow and a portal opened up there and beckoned to both of them. “You don’t want me to go?”

“I don’t want you to go,” T’Pol said, putting every fiber of being into her words. Then, an idea occurred to her. She freed one hand and undid the clasp of the IDIC necklace she always wore. It had been a present from her cousin Soval. “Will you permit me to give you a token of my sincerity?”

“No more lies between us, then.”

“No more lies,” she promised as she hooked the IDIC necklace around T’Phena’s neck. “Only truth between us from this moment on.”

As soon as the clasp was done, the portal in the garden wall vanished. T’Phena smiled and nodded. “Then I will stay. For you, my sister, and your bondmate.”

Tears flowed freely over T’Pol’s face. “Thank you, my sister.”


“C’mon, darlin’, open your eyes. That’s it.”

T’Pol’s eyes fluttered as she struggled to focus above her. The first person she saw was Trip, the first presence she felt in her mind was Trip, and she allowed him to fill her being. He was here.

Thy’la,” she whispered hoarsely. Her hand automatically went to the IDIC around her neck. Hadn’t she given it to T’Phena, or had that been a dream? “How long have I been unconscious?”

“Three days. We’re docked at Zora Prime’s space station. Cap’n Swaren’s put in for repairs, but he’s not stickin’ around for too long.”

“T’Phena?” Her eyes widened in alarm and she tried to sit up, despite his efforts to keep her still. “Is she—?”

He chuckled and replied, “She’s alive, thanks to you, but it was a very close thing. Kov said she was nearly successful in willing herself to death, but she made an abrupt turnaround. She’s still out, but Kov’s keeping an eye on her.”

“Kov?” she asked. “Who is—?”

Trip moved aside to reveal Doctor Kov. The portly Vulcan doctor smiled gently at her and said, “I’m gratified to see you awake, T’Pol. You and your foster sister gave us quite a scare, but I’m happy to say you will both make a full recovery.”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “However—?”

Kov’s smile fell off and he sighed. “I’m afraid that both of you have had some irreversible changes in your brain chemistry.”

“Irreversible?” T’Pol repeated, her heart numb. Trip squeezed her hand in sympathy. “How serious?”

Kov pulled a screen within T’Pol’s sight and activated it. Four sets of brainwave patterns appeared on it: two of the T’Pol’s and two of them T’Phena’s. “The ones on the left are ones I took on your arrival here, while the ones on the right I took an hour ago. As you can see, there has been some changes in the pattern, here, here and here. I can’t predict the effects this will have on you in the future, T’Pol.”

She took a deep breath and tried to accept what the doctor was telling her. “This is permanent.”

“I’m afraid so.” Kov gazed at her with genuine sympathy. “I’m sorry. I don’t believe it’s fatal, but as I said, I have no idea what to will do to you in the future.”

T’Pol felt Trip’s sorrow and his concern, but it was mixed with a glimmer of hope. She knew he wasn’t about to abandon her now. A sad smile flickered upon her face as she recalled her words to T’Phena. I suppose that whatever happens in the future, we will cross that bridge when we get there. Together.

And Trip chimed in. Got that right, darlin’.


Captain Swaren and Trip Tucker stood on the upper balcony of the Zora Prime station, overlooking the dock where T’Varra was docked. Technicians frantically tried to patch the battered Vulcan destroyer together as quickly as possible. Swaren glanced sideways at him with a solemn expression.

“Figures that Arrhae would rather blow herself and her crew up than surrender.”

Swaren nodded grimly. Every one of Aegis’s lifeboats had exploded before the T’Varra could mount a retrieval effort. “Arrhae had trained her crew well. What would you expect from the I’Rhiamanau?”

“And here I thought you guys fought on the same side. I’m confused.”

Swaren chuckled. “Such is the devious nature of all Vulcans, I’m afraid. We’re just reluctant to admit we are capable of such deviousness.” He sobered and explained. “In the beginning, we all did fight on the same side. Some of my people still do, but the V’tosh Ka’tur may be emotional, but we aren’t stupid. More and more of my brethren question the I’Rhiamanau’s actions into civilized space, but we are trapped by centuries of tradition and intermarriage. Do you understand?”

“Yeah. ‘The ties that bind’ and all that. I understand.” Trip frowned. “And what’s the Tal Shiar? Don’t tell me that’s still another Vulcan faction. That makes it—three, now? Or is it four? I lost count.”

Swaren stiffened, but he replied, “No. The Tal Shiar is the secret security force of the I’Rhiamanau. They have the latitude—and the ability—to preserve the fabric of their society, at any cost. If Arrhae was truly with the Tal Shiar, then I worry for Vaeben’s safety.”

The words filled Trip with dread. The Tal Shiar sounded like the Romulan equivalent of Section 31. He winced at the comparison; it made him think about things he would rather not think about.

“Do you understand why we cannot return to Vulcan? We would be arrested as soon as we stepped foot there by V’Lar and T’Pau’s forces. We are V’tosh Ka’tur and considered outcast from their society.” The Vulcan captain’s mouth turned up in a grimace. “We would much prefer to be free and work against the I’Rhiamanau. Vaeben is out there, somewhere, and I want to find him. There is safety—and strength—in numbers.”

Trip nodded. “I understand, but you’re outnumbered and outgunned—“

“Do not underestimate Vulcan ingenuity, Lieutenant Commander Tucker,” Swaren said, and Trip heard the smile in his voice. “We will prevail.”

“And T’Phena’ll be going with you?”

“Yes. She will be a valuable addition to our cause. T’Phena wants to repay the Universe for her previous sins and this is one way to do it. You have the information she gave you?”

“Yeah.” Trip patted the breast pocket of his jacket. T’Phena’s information would benefit Vulcan and Earth in the upcoming conflict with the Romulans. “Tell her thank you...from all of us.”

Swaren nodded, as he watched the technicians make the finishing touches to the T’Varra. His communicator went off and a voice said, “Captain, you wanted to know when the Earth ship is coming close. They are a day away.”

“We should be gone from here before they arrive.”

Trip frowned. “Columbia?”

The voice replied, “No, sir. Enterprise.”

What?” Trip frowned in confusion. “They’ve launched early.”

“Apparently, your captain values your presence on her ship highly,” Swaren deadpanned. “I don’t blame her at all. Well, this is only a short farewell, not a good-bye.” He brought his hand up in the Vulcan ta’al. “Until we meet again, Tucker. Live long and prosper.”

Trip copied the gesture. “You do the same, Swaren. And when you find Vaeben, tell him thank you...from me.”

“I shall, and take care of T’Pol. She has become more precious than ever.” With that, Swaren turned on his heel and strode away.

Trip watched him go and murmured, “You got that right.”


T’Pol watched as T’Phena adjusted the travel bag on her shoulder. “I wish you would come with us, T’Pol,” she said, “but I understand why you should stay.”

“I am needed on Enterprise and on Vulcan at the present time, T’Phena.”

“Yes.” T’Phena looked at her with clear eyes, untouched by madness. “If you need me...you know where to find me, and I will come. Remember that.”

“And the same goes likewise. Remember that.” T’Pol crossed her arms at the wrists, palms outward, and when T’Phena pressed her own hands to hers, she felt the warmth of the family bond, untainted by ulterior motives. T’Pol’s heart rejoiced at T’Phena’s recovery, and how her foster sister was now determined to set things right.

“I will let Vaeben and Mnheia know you are safe...and their Nveid will take good care of you.” T’Phena’s mouth quirked upward in a smile. “I envy you.”

“You will find someone, my sister. I have confidence in your ability to do so.”

She laughed. “Oh, T’Pol. I will miss your humor.”

T’Pol allowed herself a rare full smile, only in the presence of her foster sister. “And I will miss your presence. Take care.”

“You will see me again.” T’Phena dropped her hands and nodded. “Take care.”

T’Pol retreated from the launch deck and joined Trip on the balcony. He smiled at her as she approached and asked her, “Are you all right?”

“I will be,” she replied, as they watched T’Varra undock from the station and head off to parts unknown. Farewell, my sister, and not good bye. Go with Surak’s grace and be careful.


Back to Part 9
Continue to the Epilogue

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.