Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"Green Ice"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Genre: AU, Adventure Romance
Pairing: TnT
Archive?: Sure, just let me know first. Thanks!
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: TnT finally have their heart-to-heart talk about this new bond of theirs, but both have ambivalent feelings about the prospect of it. And how the heck did it happen in this AU? You’ll find out later. The two come to some kind of understanding, though it’s far from over yet.

And Vaeben meets T’Pol again for the first time in fifteen years. Things are coming to a head...there will be plenty of action and revelations in the next three chapters or so.

And yeah, BG, I'd just seen SW:V before I began writing this. Ice and snow aren't my favorite things, either. LOL And BTW, kudos again to Pesterfield! :)


Six

The sound of voices woke Trip from his slumber. He opened one eye to see frantic activity in the back compartment. People in snowsuits and oxygen filters directed the passengers out to a second transport. Dunni the Oxian was complaining bitterly about the biting cold, but even he placidly followed directions. Trip noticed the silver-and-black color scheme of their rescuers’ snowsuits and the shoulder patch decorated with stylized Vulcan letters.

Vulcan? Had someone responded to their distress beacon? Before he could panic, he felt a wordless thrill of reassurance deep within his brain, a sense of exhausted relief. Trip blinked as he tried to locate the emotion...then his mind reeled when he did find its source.

T’Pol? She was in a hurried conversation with another woman at the hatch. In fact, T’Pol made no indication she even realized he was awake. Trip blinked again and thought, What’s goin’ on here? It’s not like I’m readin’ her thoughts or experiencin’ any more of her memories. More flashes of somethin’ different. It was very much like being one of those old satellite receivers: getting the occasional clear signal with static around the edges, but those clear signals were painfully loud and clear.

T’Pol moved aside and he finally identified the woman: “Mnheia? You’re okay!”

Vaeben’s lieutenant’s eyes flickered toward him and he swore he saw humor within them. “Yes, Nveid. You worried us when you abruptly disappeared in the vehicle bay. I am glad to see you well.”

“The passengers--?”

“Are being loaded onto one of Aegis’s shuttles as we speak. You were very lucky; T’Pol estimated only four hours of power remaining for heat and light.” Mnheia crossed over to him and thrust a cup of warm liquid into his hands. “This is hynoika soup, Nveid. Drink it. It will help you regain strength.”

Trip gave it a cautious sip; it tasted exactly like his Mama’s chicken soup. Some things are universal constants: chicken soup and bachelor parties. God’s got a sense of humor. “I take it Vaeben’s here somewhere?”

“He is on Aegis and especially eager to see both of you,” Mnheia replied. She gave T’Pol a strange look, then added, “I must make sure our own transportation is secured. Excuse me. I believe you both need to talk.” Her remark raised both of T’Pol’s eyebrows, but Mnheia ignored her and swept out of the empty compartment.

The silence between Trip and T’Pol was deafening. Even the winter winds had died to an utter calm. They looked at each other, waiting for the other to speak first. Trip sighed and ran a hand through his hair and decided to take the plunge.

“Darlin’, I think we got a problem.”

She didn’t laugh, but her expression was one of rueful humor. “Yes, I believe your words were that you did not ‘want to be left hangin’.’”

He did laugh, his warm breath fogging in the chilly air. “Better now than never, I s’pose. So I guess I should ask: What’s happenin’ between us? What’s this connection we’ve got? I’m not sure if I’m goin’ crazy or—“

“If that is the case, then we both are ‘goin’ crazy’.” T’Pol sighed and sat down carefully in the pilot’s seat. “I have a theory of what has transpired between us, but it sounds unlikely.” She held his look and slowly explained what she knew of Vulcan bonds and their effects. To his credit, he waited until she’d finished speaking before he commented.

“Lemme get this straight. When two Vulcans are mentally attuned, they form some kind of mental connection?” He tried to digest all the implications, then gave up as it threatened to bring a headache. “Kind of like some psychic tie?”

“Yes. It is impossible to predict the effects of a particular bond, for it is unique to each couple,” she agreed. “Each one is sensitive to the other’s thoughts and emotions, though just how it is expressed varies. My mother once described it as ‘flashes of the other half of your soul’. She knew what my father felt and thought at certain times. It pained her much when he died.”

His eyes softened. “Your dad? You don’t talk much about him, but I get the feelin’ you two were close.”

“My mother and Sendek knew each other before they could walk. He was a designer and a test pilot. He taught me how to fly.” She closed her eyes and was silent for a moment. “He was the opposite of my mother in temperament and profession. She pursued theory; he applied it to practical events. All in all, a satisfactory match. I often wondered how it was possible they were able to live side by side for nearly a century.”

Trip chuckled. “Opposites attract, darlin’. Remind me to tell you about my parents sometime.”

Her mouth went up in a small smile. “So. This bond is a blessing...but also a burden. If neither of the parties is aware of its existence, or do not desire it in the first place, there are consequences.”

“Literally goin’ crazy?”

“Among other considerations, yes.” Her smile disappeared as she added, “It could ultimately cause one’s death.”

He swallowed hard and stared at the opposite wall. “Is it possible to...well, remove it? Dissolve it?”

She didn’t answer for several heartbeats, and when she did, it sounded as if the reply was forced from her soul. “It is possible, if both parties wish it. A Priestess of Mount Seleya could certainly achieve it, but the effects are irreversible, not to mention unpredictable.”

Trip was silent as he tried to wrap his mind around what T’Pol had just told him. Although she hadn’t directly said it aloud, he understood what she tried to say.

Somehow, we managed to set up this...bond between us. That’s why we can feel each other, hear each other’s thoughts. But how did it happen? We’ve been colleagues for the past six months, that’s all. We’re not even romantically involved in any way. Is it some kinda Cosmic Thing that just points its finger and say, “Here’s the person you’re gonna be stuck with for the rest of your life?” and poof, it happens?

The thought was humorous, despite the circumstances. Trip admitted he was no saint, but the sum of his serious relationships came to...three, and all three had ended badly. The last one, Natalie; well, he’d convinced himself he was ready to settle down and have a family with her. Natalie, to her credit, had known otherwise. But damn, the end of that relationship still made him wince. Natalie was more insightful than he gave her credit for. But he’d shared more with Natalie than he’d ever done with T’Pol to this point. So when and how did this “accidental bond” happen?

“I’m a Human, you’re a Vulcan. I didn’t think it was possible.”

“Logic dictates it should not be possible. Yet the empirical evidence is there.” Her tone was still cool, but Trip felt a spike of emotion behind it that she didn’t dare betray aloud. “I am at a loss to explain it any further.”

“Am I...is my presence hurtin’ ya, T’Pol? That’s the last thing I wanna do. If I’m hurtin’ ya...maybe not havin’ the bond might be a good thing.”

She visibly flinched and he also winced in sympathy. “It is not painful, but...confusing. I cannot describe it any more than that. I also cannot define just when this manifested.”

He thought back to Enterprise’s first mission, when he’d first met T’Pol. Of course, he’d known about her, through Soval, but hadn’t actually talked to her until the ship’s launch. Now that he thought about it, Soval had seemed hell-bent on not having the two of them meet...and of course, Soval had been so adept at it, Trip hadn’t really noticed the maneuvering. Did Soval know something at that time? Probably. And if Soval did, T’Les did too...and how many more people? V’Lar? T’Pau?

Koss? T’Phena? Suddenly, Trip felt vulnerable, exposed, at the thought of Koss or T’Phena knowing about something so private. T’Phena...if she’d been as close to T’Pol as she’d claimed...she knew exactly how to attract T’Pol’s attention. Him. T’Phena was a supreme strategist and the V’tosh Ka’tur was fortunate to have her on their side, as opposed to the Vulcan High Command’s. Trip sighed and thought, Which is why we need to catch up to her. Soon.

Then another detail nagged at him, one that T’Pol had implied when she’d mentioned the bond between her parents, T’Les and Sendak. “Uh...T’Pol, is it possible to have a bond with more than one person?”

She averted her eyes. “I assume you are referring to Koss.”

“Well, he is your betrothed, isn’t he? I mean, damn, this is awkward, but if your parents have this mental bond, shouldn’t you and he...aw, hell.” He quickly shut up before he stumbled further on his words. The very thought of T’Pol sharing such intimacies with Koss made Trip ill. No wonder she wasn’t happy with the prospect of marrying him.

“I have the betrothal bond, formed when we were seven years old, but other than that...” She hesitated, then added in a flat tone, “nothing.”

His jaw dropped at this revelation. T’Pol felt nothing for Koss, the man who was supposed to be her fiancé? How could she marry him then? “Nothing? Not even a smidgen? You can’t feel him at all?”

“His presence does not intrude on my consciousness.” T’Pol’s voice was oddly detached. “There are days when I do not think of him at all.”

“Hell of a relationship.” Trip shook his head in the utmost wonder and dismay. He’d supposed there were fates worse than death, but this was just unbearable. “God, T’Pol, I’m sorry.”

She lifted sad eyes to him. “The apology is not necessary.”

“Yeah, but still—“ He reached over and touched her wrist. “Look, I dunno what this is gonna mean for the two of us, but if you need anythin’ at all, you got it. Unconditionally. First and foremost, I’m your friend before anythin’ else. The future’s gonna take care of itself, but right now, all I ask is that we be honest with each other like we’re doin’ now. Okay?”

Again, that half-smile. “Honesty. That will be a refreshing change, do you not agree?”

“I can live with it.” A loud bang interrupted whatever he was going to say next. A series of ominous creaks came close on its heels, then the transport slid forward a few meters. “Um, I think it’s time we get to someplace that isn’t turnin’ into a freezer.”

“I wholeheartedly agree.” She got up from the pilot’s seat just as Mnheia stuck her head back into the compartment. “I believe we are ready to move, Mnheia.”

The older woman’s mouth quirked upwards. “I assume all is settled, then?”

Trip chuckled and shrugged, “Not completely, but we’ve got a start. C’mon, let’s get out of here.” He waved T’Pol ahead of him, then followed Mnheia out of the compartment hatch. The transport began to slide once more as he leaped onto the icy expanse of rock. The three of them clambered into Mnheia’s small four-seater vehicle and soon left the surface of Zora Prime behind. The winds howled their frustration as it proceeded to rip apart whatever was left of the transport.


T’Pol found herself dozing as Mnheia steered them toward Aegis, hidden in orbit around Zora Prime. The conversation had drained her more than she wanted to admit, but she took comfort in the thought of honesty between herself and Trip. That was more than she could expect from Koss, which was the ultimate irony. Her relationship with her fiancé was nothing more than a web of lies and deception, while her relationship with this particular Human held more appeal. Of course, she had only her parents’ marital bond as an example, and despite her outward meekness with Koss, T’Pol wanted something similar to T’Les’s bond, not a soulless connection to a man who cared little for her.

How ironic that T’Phena’s actions have brought me to this point. Her foster-sister may have changed over the years, but the underlying loyalty was still there. Had T’Phena known, and if so, how? It only made T’Pol even more desperate to find T’Phena and talk to her. T’Pol kept her eyes closed and her expression serene, but her mind found no peace in this meditation.

“We are here,” Mnheia said softly.

T’Pol opened her eyes as Mnheia guided the sleek vehicle into the docking bay of the Aegis. The clamps enfolded them and drew them into a protective cradle on the deck. It took an effort not to fidget as the docking bay repressurized to a normal Vulcan atmosphere. When the cycle finally finished, she followed Mnheia and Trip out to the deck where Vaeben waited for them.

“I am gratified to see you safe,” Vaeben said with a slight smile. He crossed his arms at the wrist, palms outward, and T’Pol copied the gesture. “You and Nveid both.”

“And it is agreeable to see you as well, Vhadek.” She raised an eyebrow. “Or how shall I refer to you now? I assume that you and your squad must take on alternate identities and faces at a moment’s notice.”

“Vaeben is the name I go by now, so that will suffice. I know it is confusing to all, so at the least, I can cut down on the confusion,” he replied, irony in his tone. He nodded at Trip, who moved slower under the higher gravity. “Your companion...the Elements have him Marked for something special, T’Pol. I am honored to know him, though being in his presence has proved a challenge for survival. Earth and Air in particular have issues with him.”

She didn’t quite chuckle, but she said, “I had thought you’d left such superstition behind you, Vaeben, or do you still follow your elders’ radical thoughts?”

“A hundred and twenty two years is a long time, T’Pol, and even for me, certain habits are still ingrained within my belief system,” he said easily. She watched as his thoughts turned back to their current dilemma. “T’Phena is still hidden in this system, T’Pol. She waits for you, somewhere in Zora Prime’s cold depths. We believe we know where she is...but she refuses to respond to anyone but you.”

She nodded and brought herself to her full height. “Then we should not delay any longer, Vaeben. Time is of the essence. Will you update me on what has transpired and what our options are? I fear that the situation will prove challenging for all of us.”

Vaeben inclined his head. “So you have decided to rejoin us? You and your companion?”

“We have made our choice.” She glanced at Trip, who nodded in agreement. “We shall see this to the bitter end, if need be.”


Back to Part 5
Continue to Part 7

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.