Index Star Trek: Enterprise Star Trek: The Original Series Star Trek: The Next Generation Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Star Trek: Voyager Original Work

"May the Wind Be at Our Backs"
by Lady Rainbow

Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em, don’t make money off ‘em.
Notes: Technically, this is the third story in the “Switcheroo Series” (after “Captain Sato’s Enterprise” and “Whips, Chains and Plomeek Soup”), but this tells the very first mission of Captain Sato’s Enterprise, before the events of the other two stories. The series presumes that Humans and Klingons haven’t met yet at the time of the First Mission, so it’s not like “Broken Bow”.

The Vulcans are different from the canon universe. They have their own agenda.

How are our heroes going to stop T’Marui and get T’Pol back?


Eleven

T’Pol waded through the massive amounts of information that T’Marui had amassed over the decades. It was staggering, crossing several different disciplines. There were DNA comparisons between samples taken from the lost colonies and modern Vulcans. Compilations of star charts with several projected courses of where their ships might have gone, architectural plans of the various settlements, metallurgic analyses of artifacts found and catalogued, linguistic comparisons...the sheer volume was amazing.

The more she read, the more intriguing the possibilities. If T’Marui and her team was correct, the descendants of those lost colonies might still be wandering the stars. She paged through another complicated report, noting the sources. T’Pol reminded herself to suspend emotion as she read. Emotion was dangerous in this kind of analysis; it clouded one’s judgement.

As T’Marui has aptly demonstrated, she thought with a hint of irony. The next thing she would propose is that Humans and Vulcans were once one race, which is obviously preposterous!

“I see that you are perusing these materials in your usual thorough manner,” said T’Marui, as she returned with more green tea. Next to her was the short, slim figure of a Syklonian female. Her green-blue skin tone was somewhere between an Orion’s and an Andorian’s, her head mostly shaved except for a single long braid of red hair. Her upswept eyebrows were Vulcan-like, but the orange-red eyes were not.

“It is fascinating,” T’Pol admitted, “and as a true scientist, you have hard data to support your theories. Yet it still seems...difficult to believe.”

T’Marui nodded and smiled again. It made her seem more approachable, more open, which was a strange sight for a Vulcan. “Yes, I had the same difficulty when I first began assessing this data. As time went on, it became more...logical.” She turned to the Syklonian next to her. “In case I am unsuccessful, my ally Shorana—“ the Syklonian bowed at the mention of her name, “—will make sure the information is spread throughout the quadrant. Even if the unbelievers deny the proof in front of their eyes, everyone else will know.”

T’Pol glanced at Shorana. “What, will you sell it to the highest bidder?”

“I am not an Orion,” the woman said with a smirk. “Doctor T’Marui’s information will be...regulated, controlled. We would not want anyone else to make contact with your lost people’s descendants before you do. Can you imagine if the Andorians found them? Or the Humans? They would destroy any race they cannot understand.”

The Humans may extend the hand of friendship instead, T’Pol thought. She thought of Doctor Malcolm Reed and Lieutenant Commander Trip Tucker and Captain Sato and Lieutenant Archer and Commander Mayweather. Those Humans genuinely wanted to explore the universe; hence, the success of the Warp Five program.

“You trust her to keep your information safe?” T’Pol asked without rancor.

“Her, and now you,” T’Marui said. She reached over and put a hand on T’Pol’s arm. “I know of your curiosity and your...open-mindedness, T’Pol. You have...evolved beyond the narrow mindsets of your mother and V’Lar and T’Pau. At least, you consider the options.”

“I have considered them,” T’Pol admitted, “but I must confess that I am still skeptical of certain aspects of your research. Perhaps, as all Vulcans, I require time to process the information. It is...somewhat overwhelming.”

T’Marui glanced at Shorana, who chuckled. “A Vulcan admitting weakness? You were right, T’Marui, perhaps there is hope for your people yet.”

A shrill chime interrupted them. Shorana moved to the wall intercom and chattered a question in the high Syklonian language. Another high-pitched squeal answered her. T’Pol didn’t understand the words, but whatever they were, it erased the humor from T’Marui’s face.

The scientist switched to Vulcan. “It seems that High Minister V’Lar wishes to stop us at any cost. She’s sent several vessels to intercept us.”

“Will they fire on us?” T’Pol asked aloud in standard.

Shorana shook her head. “They wouldn’t dare. Vulcan has no argument with Syklonia...and no extradition agreement, either. My people would consider it an act of war if they fired upon us.”

“What about the Earth vessel?” T’Marui asked. “Are they still in pursuit?”

Shorana relayed the question to her bridge, then translated the answer. “Yes, they have been slowly closing the distance between us, but so far they haven’t attempted to attack us.”

“Do not underestimate Captain Sato. She gave me the impression that she would do anything to get her crewmate back.” T’Marui gave T’Pol an indulgent smile. “Come, T’Pol, I’d like you to be present at a turning point in our history.”

Shorana came up on T’Pol’s left side, T’Marui on her right, and together they “escorted” her to the bridge. T’Pol glanced at the tactical map on the viewscreen. Enterprise was gaining on the Syklonian ship, while a group of Vulcan military vessels approached them at warp seven. At a calm order from Shorana, the bridge lights shifted from blue to red.

“Will you fire on our own people?” T’Pol demanded.

T’Marui turned to her and replied, “If they attack us, we will have no choice but to defend ourselves, T’Pol. If they allow us to pass, then we can avoid bloodshed. It is my hope that we might do so.”

T’Pol stared at her in shock. She’d already tried to sacrifice members of her archaeological team on Beta Polaris. There was no way that T’Marui could avoid conflict as long as she was bent on returning to Vulcan with her information.

Her people were on the brink of disaster, and all she could do was watch in horror.


“Four Vulcan military vessels,” Trip reported from his station. “Two destroyers, an ordinance vessel and a medical ship. They’re closing on the Syklonian ship at about warp seven.”

The tension on the bridge was palpable. Not only was T’Pol still trapped on the Syklonian ship, but now there was the certainty of armed conflict. “Commander Mayweather,” Hoshi said, “I thought High Minister V’Lar said that she was sending a single ship.”

Travis shook his head. “I thought so too.”

“It’s possible the High Minister diverted the nearest squadron here,” Trip said. “If one ship goes, the others go with ‘em.”

For some reason, that bothered Hoshi. Granted, T’Marui was outgunned and outmatched with one Vulcan destroyer and Enterprise, but...Hoshi concentrated on the tac screen. “Lieutenant Commander Tucker, have the Syklonians powered up their weapons?”

Trip shook his head. “No, but they’re still running with full shields. If we’re going to pull off the trick with the transporter, we have to be at the same speed and within two thousand meters of them.”

“We’ve been at warp four point eight for the past ten hours, Captain,” Phlox interjected from the Engineering station. “If they increase their speed, we won’t be able to keep up with them. They’d either have to slow down or drop out of warp completely.”

Hoshi nodded slowly. “Have you modulated the transporter signal to match their shield frequency?”

“Already done,” Trip answered. “As long as they don’t change it, we can pull it off.”

Phlox turned to Trip and admonished him, “Optimism, Lieutenant Commander. We can ‘pull it off’, as you put it.”

Hoshi hid a smile at Phlox’s cheerful tone, but she shared Trip’s realism. She swiveled around to face Travis at the science station. “Can you isolate T’Pol’s signal?”

“I’m reading two Vulcan biosigns on their bridge,” Travis replied, “but I can’t tell which one is hers. Their shielding’s interfering with that.”

“T’Pol and T’Marui,” Hoshi guessed.

“Yes, Captain.”

She turned to Jon. “Lieutenant Archer, signal the lead Vulcan destroyer. We’re going to ask for their help to pull off a highly illogical plan...”


In Sickbay, T’Niura opened her eyes and tried to sit up, but found she could not. “What is—?”

“How are you feeling?” asked the Human female medical officer. Lieutenant Cutler, T’Niura remembered. “We had to sedate you; your health was deteriorating.”

“I...do not remember.” She closed her eyes and tried to locate Doctor Reed’s presence, but she could not. Frowning, she tried again, but it was as if Reed was no longer on the ship. Impossible. He cannot mask his own mental signature...can he? Another part of her was disturbed at the possibility. That meant that Reed, a Human, had mastered a Vulcan technique that was taught only to those of the highest level of ESP. T’Niura doubted he had the skill to do so.

“You must rest. I’ve moved T’Lun closer to you. Doctor Reed told me that proximity helps with the healing process.” Cutler smiled at her. “Call me if you need anything.”

“Doctor Reed...where is he? I must thank him for what he has done for us—“

“He’s resting, as you should. Please, lie down.” As Cutler helped her lie back down, T’Niura noticed that T’Lun was still asleep. The biobeds were all filled with Vulcans...every one of them followers of T’Marui. Of course, that could have been mere happenstance, but...

“No,” she whispered. She tried to reach the others, but ran into a barrier. Suddenly, she realized it: Reed had somehow hobbled her telepathic ability, so she couldn’t cry out for help. “No!” she screamed. “What has he done? He is a Healer! He has taken an oath not to harm his patients! What has he done to me?”

“Nothing,” came a cold voice, somewhere above her. “I did nothing to you or your fellows, T’Niura. T’Nu and Seprol knew of your intentions and decided to take matters into their own hands. They assure me that the effects are temporary. I wouldn’t tolerate any permanent harm to any of you.”

T’Niura’s head snapped to her right and she finally saw Doctor Reed standing several meters away. The look on his face was terrible and she actually shrank back at the sight. Nevertheless, she had to try...

“Stay out of my head, T’Niura,” he told her calmly. “Stay out, or you will find out firsthand just how far I will go to defend myself and my patients.” He looked up at Cutler. “If she does anything...rash, don’t hesitate to use restraints. I trust, though, that they won’t be necessary, is that correct?”

T’Niura flinched at the pure ice in his tone. “Yes, Doctor Reed,” she whispered as she lowered her eyes.

“Good.” Reed nodded in satisfaction. “Keep an eye on her, Lieutenant Cutler.”

“Yes, Doctor,” Cutler replied.

Reed turned on his heel and left, but T’Niura didn’t dare watch him go.


Back to Part 10
Continue to Part 12

Like it? Hate it? Just want to point out a typo? Join the discussion now.

Disclaimer: Star Trek in all its various forms and its characters are the property of CBS/Paramount. No copyright infringement is intended by the authors of this site, which is solely for the purpose of entertainment and is not for profit. This site is owned by CX and was opened to the public in February 2008.